NATION

PASSWORD

Your stand on abortion?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Jordsindia
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Your stand on abortion?

Postby Jordsindia » Sat May 16, 2009 1:05 pm

What do you guys think of abortion? I wanna see what you think on this issue. For me, i do not agree with abortion. It should be illegal in my eyes. What do ya guys think?
Represent

American and Proud!

10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure, 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name!

-∮ The Crumpet Cult ∮-

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: Your stand on abortion?

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat May 16, 2009 1:25 pm

For me it depends on how far the pregnancy is. If the fetus has a functioning brain and neural net, it is somewhat hard for me to not see it as a little person. As such I would like some restrictions on abortion in that stage.

Before that however... completely up to mommie.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Jordaxia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 30, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jordaxia » Sat May 16, 2009 1:35 pm

dude. Seriously? FFS. You realise that Jordsindia is like a really small part of Jordaxia and now people are going to get confused. :(

On topic however, I believe that the woman should have the right to choose. When it comes to her welfare over a potential humans, I'm going with the one that's already here every time.
...gorgonopsids.

Belschaft
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Belschaft » Sat May 16, 2009 1:40 pm

I'm totaly with Jordaxia, it must allways be the womans choice as it is her body. No on else has the right to tell her what she can or cannot do with it. We should definitetly not reduce the time limit, and maybe should even increase it.
You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of.
You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

New Heliopolis
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Heliopolis » Sat May 16, 2009 1:41 pm

Pro-life unless the life of la madre is endangered through the pregnancy...I've as-yet-unprovable knowledge of souls...
Excellent Quotes:
JJ Place wrote: just because an organization tells you that them taking money from you isn't theft because they have more rights than any other organization is one of the lamest arguments a person can utilize in a debate; saying that the government can do what it likes because it writes it's own law is intellectually dishonest, and flies in the face of all reality.

Lucantis wrote:If a fat man puts you in a bag at night, don't worry I told Santa I wanted you for Christmas.

Parthenon
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Parthenon » Sat May 16, 2009 1:42 pm

The waiting list for an adoption is over 3 years in some parts of the country, unless their is some physical threat to the mother beyond cosmetics then there is no reason to have an abortion. When a person chooses to have sex that person is also choosing to enter into a game of pregnancy roulette. Abortion shouldn't serve as a crutch for the irresponsible. I have known plenty of women who have had multiple abortions since they cant keep their pants on, that's no excuse...
Last edited by Parthenon on Sat May 16, 2009 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Parthenese Confederation
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon
Former GDODAD/Metus Member

Never wrong People
Secretary

Founded: May 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Never wrong People » Sat May 16, 2009 1:42 pm

A new life begins when egg and sprem join together.
Killing any life after it is created is murder.
Abortion is murder.
The person is not a potential one, but is already a person!!!
It is truth that person is 100% dependant on his or her mother for the first stages of life, but it does not mean that the mother has a right to kill that person.
Last edited by Never wrong People on Sat May 16, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jordaxia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 30, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jordaxia » Sat May 16, 2009 1:47 pm

Never wrong People wrote:Life begins when egg and sprem join together.
Killing any life after it is created is murder.
Abortion is murder.
It is truth that person is 100% dependant on his or her mother for the first stages of life, but it does not mean that the mother has a right to kill that person.

so what, miscarriage is manslaughter? You know that many, many of these 'people' die without the mothers even noticing, right? Like way in the earliest parts of pregnancy. And are you sure about that? there's developmental conditions such as Anacephaly (probably spelled incorrectly I'll admit) that would certainly mean that the 'child' was not alive. I don't buy it. I don't believe in a soul. something without a sufficiently developed brain is alive in the same way that the unsightly wart on my thumb is alive, and I'm covering that thing with acid.
...gorgonopsids.

Arsenio Delattre
Civilian

Founded: May 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Arsenio Delattre » Sat May 16, 2009 1:48 pm

I believe that the woman should have the right to choose

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat May 16, 2009 1:49 pm

Never wrong People wrote:Life begins when egg and sprem join together.

Actually, both sperm and egg are quite alive themselves.

Really ? Right after fertilisation there are already feelings and thoughts present in that clump of cells ?
Care to prove that ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Sat May 16, 2009 1:52 pm

It's the woman's choice, and if necessary, due to certain circumstances, her and her spouse. But it should primarily rest on the shoulders of the woman carrying the foetus.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Getbrett
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Getbrett » Sat May 16, 2009 1:55 pm

In my judgement, sapience is a major prerequisite for "personhood." As human infants under a certain age (post-birth) are not self-aware, I support elective abortion up until this point, because the infant is not a person. This means that I support abortion past the moment of childbirth. Realistically, I know that this is abhorrent to most, although I'm disappointed in that reaction. It's rooted in fundamentally subjective notions of "empathy" and "right to life" instead of science.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat May 16, 2009 1:55 pm

I, personally, Am against abortion, But, I am Pro-Choice...

Like, If I got a girl pregnant, I would do everything I could to convince her not to get one, however, It is not the place of Government, or myself to prevent her from Having the option to do so...

Never wrong People
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Never wrong People » Sat May 16, 2009 1:59 pm

If you try to kill someone it is murder.

Each miscarriage is different. If it was done on purpose, it was an abortion
If it naturally happened or happened for a unknow reason, it is natural death.

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sat May 16, 2009 2:02 pm

Abortion should be legal - but not needed.

In other words, educate the young, and help with social welfare and problems that arouse the social atmospheres in which teenager or unwanted pregnancies come about.

If awareness and education comes about correctly to prevent unwanted pregnancies, and options are made available (maternity leave plus adoption), whilst educating people on the religious, and ideological works and programs on the freedom of life, destiny, and whatever else that inspires religious people to back up pro-life arguments (I'm not the guy to argue that) - surely it would only be singular individuals in dire situations that would choose abortion anyway.
Last edited by Unibot on Sat May 16, 2009 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat May 16, 2009 2:07 pm

Never wrong People wrote:If you try to kill someone it is murder.

Actually, It would be Attempted Murder...

Never wrong People
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Never wrong People » Sat May 16, 2009 2:07 pm

I would like to hear more about justifications for choicing to end a pregancy.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat May 16, 2009 2:15 pm

Never wrong People wrote:I would like to hear more about justifications for choicing to end a pregancy.

Because a Woman has the right to decide what grows in her Uterus?

Sansibal
Lobbyist

Founded: May 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sansibal » Sat May 16, 2009 2:16 pm

its a sensitive issue and should be treated as such but personally im against it. although i think the issue falls on the doctors to choose if they wish to preform abortions but as im aware there is a bill before congress that prepossess that all doctors must preform abortions (including religious hospitals). this is a an act in my opinion of more government control. i assume i didn't answer the question correctly but those are my thoughts.

Jahka
Attaché

Founded: Apr 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Jahka » Sat May 16, 2009 2:20 pm

Really ? Right after fertilization there are already feelings and thoughts present in that clump of cells ?
Care to prove that ?

So thoughts and feelings are your definition of a child. I don't really agree with that.

When the zygote is formed the child has all his genetics mapped out. Potential geniuses musicians, scientists. (of course, environment all influences this, but the potential is there)

I just don't feel right ending the life of a potential Einstein or Mozart.

Gahlsteria
Secretary

Founded: Apr 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gahlsteria » Sat May 16, 2009 2:27 pm

It's life when the "cellduplication" starts but can't be considered a person unless it can survive outside the vomb w/o much help. Aborting something living is not the same thing as aborting something that could be considered a person.

New Gerpan
Spokesperson

Founded: May 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Gerpan » Sat May 16, 2009 2:35 pm

I don't think abortion should be illegal. In my eyes, its not actual killing anyone. it's just a clump of cells. i would choose adoption over abortion, but some people can't.
~Murdoc Leonardo Darkins, Leader of New Gerpan

“When I give bread to the poor, they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no bread, they call me a communist.”
~Dom Helder

Tybra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 11, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tybra » Sat May 16, 2009 2:35 pm

one of those issues that can be debated over for a long time.
Personally i say that pregnancy can be terminated at all times if the woman is in danger, well until science can science can sustain the foetus. Costs for a baby without mother are just higher then a woman that already has a job making money so that she can help give proper education for other children. Also the stem cells that can be used for research are useful to.
However if the woman just doesn't want a baby I'd say pregnancy can be terminated until the moment the foetus develops a working brain.
Tybra Factbook

"The key to strategy... is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
— Cavilo, The Vor Game

Golugan
Envoy

Founded: Sep 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Golugan » Sat May 16, 2009 2:41 pm

For those who oppose abortion for religious reasons, Adam was not considered alive until he drew breath.

As for my opinion, my support of abortion ties rather strongly to my opposition to gun control in that I don't think people should have children if they can't feel they can take care of them responsibly. Abortion is the mother's way of being smart enough to recognize her own faults in this.
In the old days, when RP was active, MT nations had elves. I'm going to try to revive quality RP by bringing elves back to MT. Of course, these elves are going to be sociopaths that view humans as animals, but that's the sort of conflict that helps drive a story. Oh, and the child-nappings.

Gearmany (Ancient)
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gearmany (Ancient) » Sat May 16, 2009 2:43 pm

You can all quibble over when it is ok or not ok to abort but there is really one true fine defining line... Birth. It's that simple, until it's born it is still a FETUS. And outlawing abortion is just stupid, if they want to have their stomachs sliced open it's their choice. THEY carried the baby, THEY can decide what to do with it.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General