NATION

PASSWORD

A Silent Claim (FT, TG for Entry) OOC Thread

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Democratic Colonies
Envoy

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

A Silent Claim (FT, TG for Entry) OOC Thread

Postby Democratic Colonies » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:04 pm

Hello to United Citizens Republics and Xiscapia! I feel the IC thread is going well, but I wanted to create an OOC thread as well so we can discuss issues which require OOC attention.

First, I would like to apologize to Xiscapia for confusing Captain Kikuë and Captain Yuji, I've edited my post.

Second, I'd like to mention that I've received a TG from Kelvoth, who is asking if he might join the thread. Kelvoth is not too established yet, and doesn't have a factbook. He is however, quite capable of putting together easily read and properly spelled multi-paragraph pieces of communicative writing, if his telegrams are anything to go by. He has said that he doesn't wish to be a "major player" in the thread, but just a participant so that his nation can have some flavour in its early activities as it comes out of isolation. He proposed the idea of a vessel from his nation arriving in the disputed system after a journey to investigate the goings-on there, as perhaps the initial DC transmissions during the original surveying of the system may have taken 6 years to reach the Kelvothian homeworld. He also proposed the idea that due to differing communications protocols, as his nation is exiting isolation, that communications difficulties could result in potential conflict or boarding of his nation's vessel.

I believe that potentially, the arrival of a strange vessel that we cannot communicate with could be the spark that ignites armed conflict in the disputed system, although of course that is only one direction in which things could go, and that would be if we do decide to admit Kelvoth.

In order to maintain a positive environment and the enjoyment we're all getting out of this RP, I would like unanimous agreement between all current RPers before a new RPer is introduced. As I said earlier, I am quite satisfied with how the thread is going so far, so I'm not entirely sure if Kelvoth's participation would be beneficial to the story development, especially given that Kelvoth itself does not appear to be too developed yet in terms of its IC character. I also, however, do want to encourage new FT RPers to RP and develop their nations, especially when they are already proven to be able to spell and write well in telegrams.

In any case, I'd like your thoughts. Please don't be afraid to say that you like things the way they are developing now, and don't want to see a new admission - the thread is "TG for Entry" for a reason, after all.
Last edited by Democratic Colonies on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:45 pm

Democratic Colonies wrote:Hello to United Citizens Republics and Xiscapia! I feel the IC thread is going well, but I wanted to create an OOC thread as well so we can discuss issues which require OOC attention.

Democratic Colonies wrote:First, I would like to apologize to Xiscapia for confusing Captain Kikuë and Captain Yuji, I've edited my post.

'S alright. Mistakes happen.

Democratic Colonies wrote:Second, I'd like to mention that I've received a TG from Kelvoth, who is asking if he might join the thread. Kelvoth is not too established yet, and doesn't have a factbook. He is however, quite capable of putting together easily read and properly spelled multi-paragraph pieces of communicative writing, if his telegrams are anything to go by. He has said that he doesn't wish to be a "major player" in the thread, but just a participant so that his nation can have some flavour in its early activities as it comes out of isolation. He proposed the idea of a vessel from his nation arriving in the disputed system after a journey to investigate the goings-on there, as perhaps the initial DC transmissions during the original surveying of the system may have taken 6 years to reach the Kelvothian homeworld. He also proposed the idea that due to differing communications protocols, as his nation is exiting isolation, that communications difficulties could result in potential conflict or boarding of his nation's vessel.

I believe that potentially, the arrival of a strange vessel that we cannot communicate with could be the spark that ignites armed conflict in the disputed system, although of course that is only one direction in which things could go, and that would be if we do decide to admit Kelvoth.

In order to maintain a positive environment and the enjoyment we're all getting out of this RP, I would like unanimous agreement between all current RPers before a new RPer is introduced. As I said earlier, I am quite satisfied with how the thread is going so far, so I'm not entirely sure if Kelvoth's participation would be beneficial to the story development, especially given that Kelvoth itself does not appear to be too developed yet in terms of its IC character. I also, however, do want to encourage new FT RPers to RP and develop their nations, especially when they are already proven to be able to spell and write well in telegrams.

In any case, I'd like your thoughts. Please don't be afraid to say that you like things the way they are developing now, and don't want to see a new admission - the thread is "TG for Entry" for a reason, after all.

Okay by me. From what I saw poking through Kelvoth's forum posts s/he does quite fine for him/herself. I think there would need to be some coordination between us (or at least you and UCR) about how Kelvoth's ship could be a catalyst for combat, but I don't have a fundamental problem with the idea.
Xis quote of the week: Altaria Almighty: how are you not just a race of sexual predators? Like who needs power armour and gauss rifles when you have leather and whips. –Karaig
The Kitsune Empire of Xiscapia's FT Factbook (V2.5)
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

United Citizens Republics
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 27, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby United Citizens Republics » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:39 am

I don't see any real reason why we couldn't let Kelvoth in. Like Xiscapia, I poked around and (s)he seems to be up to snuff, so to speak. But yes, it would require a little bit of coordination to make sure everything flows smoothly towards whatever outcome we're looking at, be it combat/diplomacy/other.
Factbook: See Nation Page, Click "Factbook" Button
Naval Register: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=155457

Kelvoth
Secretary

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelvoth » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:09 pm

Hey everyone,

What you three have going is very good and I don't want to be the one to upset the apple cart. On the other hand, I've tried in the past to get involved elsewhere and have struggled to do so. My goal here is to add flavor and back story to Kelvoth and this thread of yours seemed to me to be just the catalyst I was looking for.

As I've looked over this OOC thread I have tried to figure out some options for my involvement. Democratic Colonies already listed some of the ideas we had discussed. I've been working on a post that might also fit the bill to get my involved. Basically, a Kelvite vessel has been lost in the warp for a number of years and suddenly reappeared and began broadcasting a generic distress signal. Kelvoth would, of course, need to investigate. Maybe a Kelvite warship arrives on scene, makes some assumptions, and because of difficulty communicating becomes very belligerent. I'm willing to play whatever role the three of you see fit. If that is just an observer in the thread, that's fine too because I've enjoyed what I have seen so far.

Democratic Colonies
Envoy

Postby Democratic Colonies » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:29 pm

I'm happy to see that we're all in agreement, so unless anyone would like to withdraw their approval, Kelvoth will be joining us! Hopefully we can provide your nation, Kelvoth, with some nice flavouring and add to the richness of our IC thread as well.

One thing find interesting is that, at least for the DC ships, a strange but belligerent vessel that cannot be communicated with would likely be assumed to part of some sort of UCR offensive strike. If the Bloodstorm mercenaries were to accept DC's offer of employment, the fact that so much of their pay would be coming from a bounty-based system would likely encourage that interpretation on their part as well. Would Just Because likely see things the same way, with a strange but belligerent vessel being seen as probably part of some sort of DC offensive strike?

If this were to occur while Commodore Tipton was aboard Just Because and not able to command the DC ships, this would only add to the confusion.

Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Citizens Republics » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:00 pm

Democratic Colonies wrote:I'm happy to see that we're all in agreement, so unless anyone would like to withdraw their approval, Kelvoth will be joining us! Hopefully we can provide your nation, Kelvoth, with some nice flavouring and add to the richness of our IC thread as well.

One thing find interesting is that, at least for the DC ships, a strange but belligerent vessel that cannot be communicated with would likely be assumed to part of some sort of UCR offensive strike. If the Bloodstorm mercenaries were to accept DC's offer of employment, the fact that so much of their pay would be coming from a bounty-based system would likely encourage that interpretation on their part as well. Would Just Because likely see things the same way, with a strange but belligerent vessel being seen as probably part of some sort of DC offensive strike?

If this were to occur while Commodore Tipton was aboard Just Because and not able to command the DC ships, this would only add to the confusion.

And queue the dramatic tension-building music!

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:46 pm

Democratic Colonies wrote:I'm happy to see that we're all in agreement, so unless anyone would like to withdraw their approval, Kelvoth will be joining us! Hopefully we can provide your nation, Kelvoth, with some nice flavouring and add to the richness of our IC thread as well.

The sudden appearance of an unintelligible and aggressive alien presence could very well force Kikuë's hand if she hasn't made a decision on the contracts by the time it appears. Wouldn't look good for Bloodstorm to stand by in neutrality while a battle breaks out a stone's throw away, after all. Which way it might go would remain to be seen, but either way I think they would have plenty of justification for going after this hypothetical Kelvothian warship since it would threaten both DC and especially Columbia Conglomerate interests in the system. And I have little doubt that either DC or URC would object to being able to use a convenient force of mercenaries as a cat's paw against greater foreign intrusion. After all, once the dust settles they can claim with good deniability that they never intended for Bloodstorm to start shooting, but hey, mercenaries gonna merc...
Xis quote of the week: Altaria Almighty: how are you not just a race of sexual predators? Like who needs power armour and gauss rifles when you have leather and whips. –Karaig
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Citizens Republics » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:57 am

Well, to put it bluntly, the UCR has a very, very, very itchy trigger finger when it comes to foreign threats. So we'd probably be happy to start shooting with or without the mercs.

Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Citizens Republics » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:12 pm

In case anyone was wondering, I'm not jumping directly to the fleet moving in so I can give you all one last chance to repent for your sins!!!! Or try and make peace before things go badly and we find ourselves in a sticky wicket. Or both.

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:15 am

United Citizens Republics wrote:In case anyone was wondering, I'm not jumping directly to the fleet moving in so I can give you all one last chance to repent for your sins!!!! Or try and make peace before things go badly and we find ourselves in a sticky wicket. Or both.

So are our characters actually free to leave, or is he going to try to take them hostage as was hinted at? Just want to know if I could actually have Yuji leave all in one post or not if that becomes necessary.

EDIT @All: Also, have any arrangements been made for Kelvoth's involvement? I'm curious to know if any decisions have been made on exactly how/when he'll be coming in. Thanks.
Last edited by Xiscapia on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Citizens Republics » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:23 am

No, you're free to leave. Yuji didn't declare for the DC colonies (as far as Cameron knows), so he's got no reason to hold him hostage. And with the 19th Fleet inbound, it'd be a bit redundant to take Tipton hostage.

As for Kelvoth....I personally have made no arrangements, no, so I'm as in the dark as you are. Maybe DC set something up?

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:46 am

United Citizens Republics wrote:No, you're free to leave. Yuji didn't declare for the DC colonies (as far as Cameron knows), so he's got no reason to hold him hostage. And with the 19th Fleet inbound, it'd be a bit redundant to take Tipton hostage.

As for Kelvoth....I personally have made no arrangements, no, so I'm as in the dark as you are. Maybe DC set something up?

Alright then, thanks for the clarification.

And I'd have to assume that if I haven't made arrangements, and you haven't made arrangements, either DC has or nothing.
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Citizens Republics » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:51 am

Xiscapia wrote:
United Citizens Republics wrote:No, you're free to leave. Yuji didn't declare for the DC colonies (as far as Cameron knows), so he's got no reason to hold him hostage. And with the 19th Fleet inbound, it'd be a bit redundant to take Tipton hostage.

Alright then, thanks for the clarification.

And I'd have to assume that if I haven't made arrangements, and you haven't made arrangements, either DC has or nothing.

That's my thinking as well. Guess we'll just have to wait and ask DC.

Democratic Colonies
Envoy

Postby Democratic Colonies » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:06 pm

Sorry, I haven't actually made any arrangements... as Kelvoth is following the thread(s) though, I'd like to ask, would now, at the moment of maximum tension as the 19th Fleet is about to come in, a good time for the Kelvothians to arrive? Or perhaps right after the 19th Fleet arrives, and munitions are about to fly?

What do you think, Kelvoth?

Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Citizens Republics » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:46 am

Alright, so, as DC mentioned, I can either jump in the 19th Fleet now and then let Kelvoth's ship show up later, or we can wait for Kelvoth to post first.

Thoughts?

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:47 am

I would say let Kelvoth post first, but that's really up to him/her/it.
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Democratic Colonies
Envoy

Postby Democratic Colonies » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:44 pm

I was about to send Kelvoth a quick TG, but I saw "Most Recent Government Activity: 18 days ago" on their nation's page. I hope they haven't run into any trouble IRL...

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:02 am

Democratic Colonies wrote:I was about to send Kelvoth a quick TG, but I saw "Most Recent Government Activity: 18 days ago" on their nation's page. I hope they haven't run into any trouble IRL...

If I were you I'd send them the TG anyway. Better to send now for Kelvoth to get once he/she/it's online and get some idea of their status ASAP than wait around doing nothing.
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Citizens Republics » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:58 am

Well I hate to be pushy but....do we have any new info or anything?

Democratic Colonies
Envoy

Postby Democratic Colonies » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:59 am

I'm afraid not, as it has been 25 days since Kelvoth has been online. I think that perhaps we should proceed without him for now.

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Democratic Colonies wrote:I'm afraid not, as it has been 25 days since Kelvoth has been online. I think that perhaps we should proceed without him for now.

Seems reasonable. It's by no means too late for him to come in even we get several more posting rotations in.
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Citizens Republics » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:34 pm

Alright then, I'll post as soon as I can

Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Citizens Republics » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Oh, and I'm going to post an ORBAT here soon. Ship names, types, battlegroups, etc.

EDIT: Maybe not ship names. Coming up with 249 names is.....*sigh*.....wayyyyy too much work.
Last edited by United Citizens Republics on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Democratic Colonies
Envoy

Postby Democratic Colonies » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:04 am

Ship names can be a pain in the butt, but an ORBAT would be interesting to have a look at!

Also, I wanted to ask, is it alright if I accelerate to the end of the 15 warning period at the end of my coming IC post, or should I avoid doing that as things will be happening during that time period?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents