NATION

PASSWORD

Flagspam: [nation=noname] BBCode on RMB Concerns

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Milograd
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Flagspam: [nation=noname] BBCode on RMB Concerns

Postby Milograd » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:54 pm

http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=2321879

Is this sort of thing really necessary? I can see how [nation=noname] can be useful, but using it like this is garish.

Is there a way to make it so that the flag images that show up are smaller? The flags that usually show up next to nation names aren't that large, and I don't see why they are so much larger when the nation names are omitted.

EDIT: I must admit that I'd prefer to see this code disabled for RMBs. It's obnoxious.
Last edited by Milograd on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Retired

Jamie Anumia
Senator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamie Anumia » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:58 pm

I agree that the flag image sizes should be smaller. Nations posting adspam like that is more infuriating and annoying than adspam usually is. And like Milograd said, it's extremely garish.

Weed
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Capitalizt

Postby Weed » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:32 pm

I was the first one to do this, as noted a little back on the RMB of TSP. When [nation=noname] was first added it was the smaller flag sizes (like the size on an endorsement) list instead of the size on the world rankings. That was better.

EDIT: And this was not a one-off. I have a telegram from GGR about how they will use it in the future. :p
Last edited by Weed on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sichuan Pepper
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sichuan Pepper » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:43 pm

[violet] wrote:Mmm, if the feature is just going to be used to insert arbitrary images, I'll disable it again. It's not supposed to be an [img] tag, it's supposed to be a nation link.

That was violets thoughts on it back when it was being put to use outside of a nation link.

Here: viewtopic.php?p=11239638#p11239638
Wordy, EX-TITO Field Commander.
Now just ornamental.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Yeah but no one here can read. Literacy is a tool used by fendas, like IRC or morals.

Hesse
Envoy

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hesse » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:47 pm

No, I think that this should stay. This makes people want to read our ads, with such eye candy.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:50 pm

Yeah, I vouch for getting rid of it. We've already had two regions run this type of ad on our RMB. It's very garish, as someone pointed out.
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Weed
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Capitalizt

Postby Weed » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:25 pm

Or, you know, seeing as this is now what is seen as a good ad nowadays, we could look once again at the cost-benefit of allowing this type of advertisement. I still yet to believe there are any players that see a RMB ad and decide to move regions. The only purpose these ads serve now is to annoy those that use feeder RMBs regularly, and they are getting regularly more effective at achieving that goal.

:p

All Good People
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 04, 2004
Libertarian Police State

Postby All Good People » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:00 pm

NS used to consider posting for the purpose of annoying others "griefing". Which is what I consider these purposefully annoying AdSpam RMB posts.

Looks to me that [violet]'s concerns need to be revisited.
Westwind of All Good People
Three Time World Assembly Delegate of The West Pacific
Former UN/WA Delegate Lewis and Clark of The North Pacific
Co-Founder and Emeritus Rex Westwind of Equilism

The West Pacific Forum: http://twp.nosync.org
Equilism Forum: http://www.equilism.org.forum

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:20 am

I highly support getting rid of this.
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

Zutroy
Diplomat

Founded: May 01, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Zutroy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:35 am

I am wholeheartedly opposed to banning this, and I reiterate the reasons I gave in this statement.

The fact of the matter is this isn't causing a problem for NS at large---only the delegates of game-created regions. Their complaints aren't significant because (1) they wouldn't be receptive to recruiting no matter what form it took and (2) they're punching above their weight by trying to get involved with what recruiting messages contain in the first place. If they don't like what they see, they can do what they've always done---eject, ban, and suppress.

As for the technical aspect of it, I really don't see how it harms or irrevocably changes the nature of the game. Again, the complaints here seem to be mostly from a small group of people (compared to the rest of NS) who dislike recruiting on their RMBs (something that is out of their hands anyway) regardless of what it contains.

All Good People wrote:NS used to consider posting for the purpose of annoying others "griefing". Which is what I consider these purposefully annoying AdSpam RMB posts.

Looks to me that [violet]'s concerns need to be revisited.

Recruiting on the RMBs of game-created regions is most certainly not griefing, and that is quite well established. Again, how the recruitment messages are recieved by bystanders not interested in being recruited has never been relevent. The formal rules regarding the frequency of the messages have been adhered to (at least by me), as have the informal rules regarding the size of the messages. I also reiterate that the spirit of the game in general and recruiting in specific remains the same.
Last edited by Zutroy on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The war of the poor against the rich will be the bloodiest ever waged."
- F. Engels, 1845

Charles Cerebella
Envoy

Founded: Jul 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Charles Cerebella » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:09 am

If you want to recruit successfully, and not make a bunch of annoyed people along the way, then the way to do it is good-old fashioned recruitment telegrams. It is not a coincidence that none of the biggest UCRs use adspam: it just does not work.

I fully support Milograd's request.
Charles Cerebella

King of Albion

Frattastan II
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 27, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frattastan II » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:55 am

I support any of Milograd's suggestions (disable it; make the flags smaller; disable it for RMBs).
Rejected Realms Army High Commander
(So you've been ejected..., forum, news, RRA)
<@Guy> well done, fuckhead.
* @Guy claps for frattastan

Communist Quinntopia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Communist Quinntopia » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:32 am

redacted
Last edited by Communist Quinntopia on Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great Savannah
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Savannah » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:57 am

I am completely opposed to Milograd's proposal. The majority of his supporters are just communist RP scum.

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:59 am

Considering that your region has ripped off a communist region in recruiting that way...

Lol.
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

Vladisvok Destino
Envoy

Founded: Aug 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vladisvok Destino » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:26 am

Milograd wrote:EDIT: I must admit that I'd prefer to see this code disabled for RMBs. It's obnoxious.

Personally I'd rather see it gone all together, some of the junk I've started seeing in recruitment TGs using this technique is just awful.

Communist Quinntopia wrote:Then why was one of your ads suppressed immediately?

Because one person didn't want to read it, same as with any other recruitment ad.
When plumbing the depths of depravity, I must remember to come up for air.

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:32 am

Let it stay.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:43 am

Great Savannah wrote: The majority of his supporters are just communist RP scum.

Given your history with prior puppets, I believe we can do without your flamebaiting and insults for a few days.

*** Three day ban for flamebaiting. *** You're on thin ice, New Slifer. I see a Delete on Sight order in your near future if your approach to this game doesn't change.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:08 am

Let it stay but disable it for RMBs if we're going to keep seeing things like that. They're creative but they shouldn't be on the RMB.

Hesse
Envoy

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hesse » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:32 am

Come now everyone, we are simply using a feature that is apart of the game to make our recruitment ads more creative.

I've also noticed that when Communist Beach did it, people just seemed to brush it off, and perhaps even commend their creativity... but when the The Greater German Reich does it, all hell breaks loose.

Nationalist State of Knox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:37 am

Hesse wrote:Come now everyone, we are simply using a feature that is apart of the game to make our recruitment ads more creative.

I've also noticed that when Communist Beach did it, people just seemed to brush it off, and perhaps even commend their creativity... but when the The Greater German Reich does it, all hell breaks loose.

Tu quoque?
Last edited by Gilgamesh on Mon Aru 17, 2467 BC 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies
Ifreann wrote:Knox: /ˈɡɪl.ɡə.mɛʃ/
Impeach Enlil, legalise dreaming, mortality is theft. GILGAMESH 2474 BC

Milograd
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:41 am

Hesse wrote:I've also noticed that when Communist Beach did it, people just seemed to brush it off, and perhaps even commend their creativity... but when the The Greater German Reich does it, all hell breaks loose.

No. We found their message equally annoying and Communist Beach has been blacklisted from the South Pacific. It doesn't matter who is posting the message. This new recruitment technique is inherently garish and irritating.
Last edited by Milograd on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired

A Classless Society
Secretary

Founded: May 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby A Classless Society » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:47 pm

If this is really such an issue, we should just remove RMBs.

Or maybe take down WFE's and allow nations' flags/mottos/nation types only viewable by those nations.

No one would have to be exposed to anything "garish" or "annoying". That'd be great.

Maybe we can remove telegramming too. :eyebrow:
Last edited by A Classless Society on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:52 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by Wind in the Willows on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

A Classless Society
Secretary

Founded: May 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby A Classless Society » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:56 pm

Wind in the Willows wrote:
A Classless Society wrote:If this is really such an issue, we should just remove RMBs.

Or maybe take down WFE's and allow nations' flags/mottos/nation types only viewable by those nations.

No one would have to be exposed to anything "garish" or "annoying". That'd be great.

Maybe we can remove telegramming too. :eyebrow:

No.

Exactly.

This entire issue is based off of opinions and speculation.

What isn't comfortable for some can be delightful for others. This form of advertising regions isn't harmful to anyone. In fact, I recently moved my nation to the region it currently resides because I thought their suppressed RMB ad was intuitive. Why must NS be filled with so many drab complaints?
Last edited by A Classless Society on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical