NATION

PASSWORD

Axis-NATO Cold WAR - IC thread, OPEN

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Arthurista
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Axis-NATO Cold WAR - IC thread, OPEN

Postby Arthurista » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:42 pm

OOC/Signup: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=219545

15 March 1950, Chequers, Buckinghamshire, England

"So, how were old Jawaharlal and Louis?" Clement Attlee asked.

Having just won his second general election in late February, Clement Attlee, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, first among equal of the various leaders of the Anglosphere, still looked rather exhausted, even though he was now taking a brief break at Chequers, the country estate that comes with the keys to Downing Street. Still, the other man having a late night scotch with him, Secretary of State for Commonwealth Relations Patrick Walker, appeared considerably more haggard. Which was natural, considering he just flew halfway around the world, arriving back in London from Dehli that very afternoon.

"They're well. Considerably better than I am, I'd say." Walker said before taking another sip of the excellent single malt, neat, not 'on the rocks', as the Americans were atrociously prone to do. "They're both excellent at handling that bloody troublemaker, which is something."

The troublemaker in question was Muhammad Ali Jinnah, Deputy Prime Minister of the Federal Dominion of India, a position which, by virtue of considerable political wrangling over the constitution, was guaranteed to a Muslim. It was, of course, a far preferable solution to the potentially bloody civil chaos that would ensue after a hostile split between them and the Hindu population. Jinnah fights fiercely for additional concessions for the Muslim federal states, as his position was supposed to enable him to do. By and large, however, both Jawaharlal Nehru, the Prime Minister, and Louis Mountbatten, the ceremonial Governor General, were by that stage well-practised in dealing with him.

"They didn't object to the new Dhaka Fleet Base, did they?"

"No, thankfully. Nehru was quite enthusiastic, in fact. The Royal Indian Army and Air Force are well-placed to deter any Japanese incursion across the Burma border - they were especially pleased to see the new De Havilland Vampires and Centurion tanks. Their navy remains weak, however, so they desperately need the Far East Fleet to guard their right flank. Don't want another Malaya, now, do we?" Memories of the Malayan disaster in 42, when Japanese troops outflanked blocking positions through amphibious landings, remained deeply ingrained.

"And Jinnah?"

"Well, he said that since the base is being built in a predominantly Muslim state, a Muslim officer should be the base commander." It was a far cry from the days when exclusively native other ranks were commanded by an exclusively European officer corps, but some distinctions proved harder to eliminate than others.

"Who were they planning on commanding the base?"

"A Commodore Davinder Singh, Sikh."

"Ah, so how did they answer him?"

"They told him to sod off, politely, of course. The moment when they start taking ethnicities and religions into account when making these decisions is the moment when the Indian military falls apart."

"Let's look closer to home, Patrick. There've been some new developments," Attlee said. "We've decided to send the 7th Armoured to South France." Propping up de Gaulle's half of the country was getting seriously resource-prohibitive.

"South France?" Walker looked troubled. "That means..."

"Two armoured and one mech divisions for the XXX Corps garrisoning the Loire Valley DMZ. By the way, we've decided to establish a higher headquarter, the British Army on the Loire, or the BAOL, for short. Public pressure, you know. We need to make up for Dunkirk and Overlord, after all."

"How much troops does that leave for the rest of the Empire?"

Neither men blanched at the term 'Empire', which was surprising. By political inclination, the current left wing government was rather embarassed by the state of affairs. Talk of 'Empire' was out of fashion. These were no longer the days of Rudyard Kipling and Martini Henrys. The terms in vogue were that Britain headed a 'Commonwealth of Nations', a 'Union of Liberty'.

An Empire, however, was what it largely remained, and by necessity, too. The loss of most of the Far East to Japan has hardly diminished the overall power of Britain. The joint invasion of Iran with the Soviet Union and the Iraqi expedition of 1941, together with the continued subservience of most Arab monarchies to London, has allowed Britain to dominate the Middle East. Furthermore, by controlling the pipelines that lead out of the Central Asian oilfields of friendly USSR, as well as the Suez Canal and the straits of Homuz, Britain controls much more than half the world's oil and gas supplies. Even the fascist states of the world are not completely independent from the Anglosphere's oil. Such colossal economic clout proved to be instrumental in rebuilding the economy and the war machine after the bloody stalemate of 1944 and 45, allowing Britain to muster more ships, tanks and planes for a potential rematch with Germany and Japan. India became an autonomous dominion and the Commonwealth was stronger for it, but never in a million years would Britain loosen its stranglehold on the Middle East. It simply could not afford to - not without putting, by extension, London itself at risk.

"Not enough, Patrick. Don't you worry, though. You know what our long-standing policy to the Canal is."

"Of course. If someone threatens the Suez, take no prisoners. No exceptions."

Walker was still troubled despite this assurance. A statement of intent was one thing, whether Britain could still execute it is quite another thing.
Last edited by Arthurista on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:58 am, edited 16 times in total.

Benutanairan
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Benutanairan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:12 pm

Paris, France
Peoples Democratic Republic of France
French Presidential Palace

It was officially the start of a new decade for Europe, hopefully one in which healing would take place. In 1947 Marshal Petain died peacefully and leadership of the country was passed to Jean Cleade Christophe a leading member of the French Popular Party. The French however were not unified if only so more stratified by the presence of an allied back state in the North. The Bane to Germany thus the creation of the French Demilitarized zone to ensure the safety of French citizens and mainly as a show of force towards the allies. Following the axis situation at the 2nd battle of Normandy, the 3rd French Peace Armistice was signed splitting the colonies and reestablishing the Full strength of the French Military especially the navy. Of-course segregation was present in the country against the black and Arab migrant workers. France itself served as a service and supply station for the German navy and military. It also provided the industrial base for the Germans next to Russia and served as the vacation provinces next to Spain.

Outside Caen, France
Peoples Democratic Republic of France
French Jewish Resettlement Zone #1

The Resettlement zone were certain areas drafted into concept to house Jews not relocated to Eastern Europe for war damage work or to the Russian occupation zone. Here Jews were resettled into homes of better standard than the former relocation camps. Here the Jews lived free from restriction but were often required to get passes to serve in French Homes or seek employment outside the Resettlement zone. The Zone itself was run by the Semitic Board of Affairs a council of 5 Jewish leaders who reported to the French provincial authority. The First zone was started in 1948 and now have spread in 5 strategic areas. The Jews themselves were often contracted by the French-Euro Railroad Authority to aid in construction of the European Railroad starting from Madrid and ending in Moscow, the current branch is expected to expand to Mecca and into Asia the following season.

London, United Kingdom
Former French Embassy/ French Economic Council

Jacques Lorraine sighed as smoke came out of his mouth from his lit cigar. He handled the paper work he had in his hand and looked at his watch. Jacques was the first Economic Advisor to the British since 1946 and served for the French legal and diplomatic interests. The recognition of his France would be his biggest achievement but now with the Free state in the South he seemed discouraged about the position towards De Gaulle. Thankfully the 3rd Armistice was favorable on France granting the majority of the African colonies. He was hoping to meet the British Ambassador soon to discuss certain economic treaties.
Last edited by Benutanairan on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 14 times in total.
NS resident Frenchman/ Supporter of the UMP
Playing as Fascist France in Alternate Cold War
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=219575
1950 Shadows playing as US
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=219586

Serving as an Elemental priest in Elementals: Return of Kayorest
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=219722

Arthurista
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Arthurista » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:50 pm

The Strand, London, 16 March 1950

A man and a woman were being chaffeured across London towards Hyde Park in a black car, towards the French Economic Council building. It was an open secret to everyone in the world, including de Gaulle's government, that the Council is nothing less than the de facto embassy of Fascist France to Britain and the Anglosphere. The irony that it was located only a few blocks from the French Republic's embassy was not lost on anyone, either.

The man was in his late 40s, business suited and chiselled jaw. He looked like a banker, as indeed he officially was - in a week's time he will move to France to be the Deputy Director of the Lloyd's Bank Paris office, finally reopened 5 years after the ceasefire. Most of the office's staff would be employees of the actual bank. So, too, would the Director. His Deputy, however, was until 6 months ago a reasonably senior figure in the Foreign Office, who decided to take a 'career break' before supposedly joining the private sector. The de facto ambassador of the British Empire to North France.

"What do you think is going to happen, Janine?" John Rodgers asked his similar besuited companion.

Janine Whittaker, in her early 30s, looked every bit the part of the secretary, which was convenient. During the war, she served with distinction as an SOE officer in occupied France, running a large network of agents which garnered invaluable intelligence. Soon, she would accompany Rodgers to Paris as his secretary. Her real boss was in fact a man known only as 'C' - the Head of MI6, given that she would be the Service's new Section Chief in France.

"Well, we haven't had much official contact with this lot since Mers el-Kebir, have we?" She was referring to the incident in 1940 in which the Royal Navy sank most of the French fleet, ostensibly to prevent it from falling into German hands after the surrender. "From what I heard, though, they aren't particularly pleasant people. Petain's regime was just old fashioned paternalistic dictatorship last time I was in Paris, helping the Resistance. The new man has taken more than a few pages out of Adolf's book. Fascists in the accurate sense of the word."

"So... your assessment is?"

"They'll play nice for now. Their priority is to get us to recognise them as an official regime, at least equal in status to the South. Our priority is to split them from German influence and ultimately allow us to reduce our commitment to the South, which is turning into a bit of a black hole for resources and troops to prop up. In the long run, though..."

"They'll chum up even more with the Jerries and attempt to conquer the South?"

"That's my guess. Just watch out. They'll appear a lot less harmless than they really are."

With that concluded, they sat in silence as the car travelled on. They arrived a few minutes later.

"Ah, Monsieur Lorraine, nice to finally meet you. I am departing for Paris to take up my post next week. Congradulations on your appointment as the Head of the Council. How are you settling in?"

Rodgers attempted to sound as affable as possible, while Whittaker did her best to appear unobtrusive. The experienced intelligence officer in her, however, began to think about good hiding places for bugs that a late night visit could plant in the room.
Last edited by Arthurista on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Benutanairan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Benutanairan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:42 pm

London, United Kingdom
French Economic Council Building, British Head Branch

He looked up as the two entered his room letting the papers slide out of his hand as they collapsed into orderly fashion. He nodded in a reserved manner " Welcome Mr. Rodgers I see you arrived here pleasantly I assume, as for my posting here I find London quite a home away from the chaos of Paris, the council looks forward to your posting in Paris next week, sit we have much to discuss about the Economic situation"

Lille, France
French Ministry of Security Northern Branch

Officer Compiegne " Under the current charges you have been found guilty of sexual relations with a French Women with officially informing the Bureau of Population and because of your status as an immigrant from the German colonies. You will be deported to Moscow to face charges and possibly sent to re-education in the german colonies"

Polish Man " How was I supposed to know I had to register independently from the German Bureau and the Polish Bureau, this is a mistake she is carrying my child!"

Officer Compiegne " The child shall be put up for adoption now please head with the guards here to be relocation"

Polish " No please you cannot, my entire family lives on my salary"

the man is dragged away by black clad security officers

Officer Nasau " Never gets easier does it?"

Officer Compiegne " He'll probably get 20 years hard labor in the outer provinces of the german colonies"
Last edited by Benutanairan on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arthurista
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Arthurista » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:57 pm

Benutanairan wrote:London, United Kingdom

He looked up as the two entered his room letting the papers slide out of his hand as they collapsed into orderly fashion. He nodded in a reserved manner " Welcome Mr. Rodgers I see you arrived here pleasantly I assume, as for my posting here I find London quite a home away from the chaos of Paris, the council looks forward to your posting in Paris next week, sit we have much to discuss about the Economic situation"

Rodgers cleared his throat before continuing. "As you know, Monsieur, the upper management -" (by which, everyone knows, he meant "His Majesty's Government") "-cannot, ah, publicly acknowledge the growing ties between our countries in its proper significance. Nevertheless, I convey an offer from the Suez Canal Authority: we are willing to allow North French merchant vessels to use the Canal, shortening your access to the Indian and Pacific Oceans substantially compared to the Cape of Good Hope route. Anglo-Iranian Oil is also willing to willing to supply a large quantity of crude to North France, initially through shipping. In the future we hope to construct a pipeline directly from Iraq to Syria, perhaps the port of Latakia. ."

"There is, however, one condition: none of that oil must under any circumstances reach Germany."
Last edited by Arthurista on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Benutanairan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Benutanairan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:10 pm

Arthurista wrote:
Benutanairan wrote:London, United Kingdom

Rodgers cleared his throat before continuing. "As you know, Monsieur, the upper management -" (by which, everyone knows, he meant "His Majesty's Government") "-cannot, ah, publicly acknowledge the growing ties between our countries in its proper significance. Nevertheless, I convey an offer from the Suez Canal Authority: we are willing to allow Northern French merchant vessels to use the Canal, shortening your access to the Indian and Pacific Oceans substantially compared to the Cape of Good Hope route. Anglo-Iranian Oil is also willing to willing to supply a large quantity of crude to Northern France, initially through shipping. In the future we hope to construct a pipeline directly from Iraq to Syria, perhaps the port of Latakia. ."

"There is, however, one condition: none of that oil must under any circumstances reach Germany."

London United Kingdom
French Economical Council, British Head Branch

Mr. Lorraine spoke up after hearing Mr. Rogers finish " This deal is to of-course Remain secretly between Britain and the French Economic Council, I shall inform President Christophe of the deal to ensure the obligations you have set forth are complied to and to prevent any violations of such conditions"

Arthurista
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Arthurista » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:26 pm

Benutanairan wrote:
Arthurista wrote:
Rodgers cleared his throat before continuing. "As you know, Monsieur, the upper management -" (by which, everyone knows, he meant "His Majesty's Government") "-cannot, ah, publicly acknowledge the growing ties between our countries in its proper significance. Nevertheless, I convey an offer from the Suez Canal Authority: we are willing to allow Northern French merchant vessels to use the Canal, shortening your access to the Indian and Pacific Oceans substantially compared to the Cape of Good Hope route. Anglo-Iranian Oil is also willing to willing to supply a large quantity of crude to Northern France, initially through shipping. In the future we hope to construct a pipeline directly from Iraq to Syria, perhaps the port of Latakia. ."

London United Kingdom
French Economical Council, British Head Branch

Mr. Lorraine spoke up after hearing Mr. Rogers finish " This deal is to of-course Remain secretly between Britain and the French Economic Council, I shall inform President Christophe of the deal to ensure the obligations you have set forth are complied to and to prevent any violations of such conditions"

"Thank you, Monsieur Lorraine." Both Rodgers and Whittaker were too professional to appear surprised, but that was unexpectedly smooth. "Just one other thing. The upper management is concerned that certain ... parties, may wish to destabilise the Western Mediterranean in the future. Considering North France's ownership of Algeria, Tunisia and Morocco, the upper management would be considerably relieved if Paris undertakes to be neutral in such an event, nor aid any such parties in pursuing their goal?"

Rodgers seriously hoped for an agreement at this point. At one stroke, he could secure Gibraltar, that other jugular of the Empire. If German troops could not move through North France to reach Spain, Franco alone would surely not dare to make a move.

"I'm sure that, in the future, as the relationship between our countries improve, more in Britain would see the benefits of such a diplomatic bridge. As opinions shift, it is not unlikely that recognition of your government would happen sooner than expected, isn't it? Say, in three months time? Following a suitable media campaign in the BBC which would present North France with the best possible light?"
Last edited by Arthurista on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Benutanairan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Benutanairan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:44 pm

London, United Kingdom
French Economic Council, British Head Branch

Jacques Lorraine " Paris is focused on developing the French economy in the homeland and the colonies, The government however is taking a neutral step back from the Mediterrean. As for the media campaign the country would welcome it, after all the economic council is here to help grow relationships in Europe"
Last edited by Benutanairan on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hypparchia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hypparchia » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:16 am

Novosibirsk, 19 March 1950

Five years after a ceasefire was agreed upon between the Western Allies and the Axis, the Soviet Union was still at war with Germany. Fortunately Hitler had little interest in what was happening east of the AA line, even though the Wehrmacht had advanced a bit more than it planned in the north. The population west of it was subjected to total extermination. Millions continued to die under Nazi rule, but tens of millions from European Russia managed to flee eastward and find refuge in Siberia.

While Britain and the French states enjoyed the luxury of peace, the Soviet people still had to endure the hardships of war. A stalemate which satisfied the Germans was in place - they took all the Lebensraum they needed, held vast resources and fertile lands and decapitated the Soviet leadership with the death of Stalin during the Siege of Stalingrad. German war planners no longer considered the Soviet Union a threat. But the new Soviet leader, Lavrentiy Beria, did not think so. He was an even better manager than Stalin, and he was confident that Red Army troops will sooner or later march to Berlin.

After touring a newly established production plant for aircraft engines in the vicinity of Novosibirsk, Beria got back to his vehicle along with Chief of Staff Rokossovsky and the Chief of the Army Zhukov. The narkom of war production, Aleksey Kosygin, was with them.

Looking rather content and impressed by the industrial capacity he just saw, he felt that he could now speak out his thoughts.

Beria: "I believe it is time to act, comrades. We are industrially and militarily prepared for this operation. Comrade Sheng still seems to consider his alliance with Germany and Japan to be a factor in holding him and his clique in power. The only thing keeping him and Sinkiang in their place is our benevolence."

Rokossovsky: "If we are to make a large-scale move against Sinkiang, it should be in May at earliest. The infrastructure there is too poor and our ground troops would get stuck in the mud, and rains will continue until at least early April. Waging an aerial campaign against Sinkiang would give them more time to prepare for a ground operation and might give the Germans and the Japanese an excuse to launch new operations against us. We should wait until May. Without doubt we are industrially and militarily prepared, but in my opinion there is too many unclear factors that might lead to a lot of casualties on our side."

Beria: "A full-scale ground operation might not be necessary. Sheng's regime is weak and isolated. Removing him from power would lead to the fall of East Turkestan, as he has concentrated all his wealth and strongmen in Dihua."

Zhukov: "I share Lavrentiy Pavlovich's view. An airborne special operation against the government in Dihua will completely paralyse Sinkiang. Chain of command is shattered and the regime is decapitated. Capitulation will come in a matter of hours".

Beria: "Molotov [foreign affairs narkom] is attempting to get in touch with the British and the Chinese as we speak. Both London and Nanking consider Sinkiang to be too much of a threat."

Rokossovsky: "We should still proceed with caution. The Ural front is stable for now, but we have no idea when the Germans might attempt anything. Summer is coming and they usually increase their attacks when meteorological conditions improve. They might convince the Japanese to declare war on us, and the last thing we want would be a two-front war."

Kosygin: "That should be out of your concerns. In a month or two, we will be prepared more than we have ever been".

Beria smiled, as the plans to cooperate with the British and begin the Great Liberation war had long taken shape in his mind, and now the leadership of his government shared this vision.

Benutanairan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Benutanairan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:32 am

Paris, PDRF
European Publishing Office
March 20th, 1950

Publishing Manager " Monsieur Leanne I just don't think this book will make a hit within the market, its to war provocative to possibly do so"

Monsieur Leanne " Nonsense, Motherland shall make a heavy impact on the world as I see it, The Book itself shall hit the books stores within days or I shall see if the German publishers will take credit for it"

Publishing Manager " Nonsense I'll send word to the others you'll have a copy of your book in a few days"

Lille, France
House of the Compiegne's
March 25th 1950

Monsieur Compiegne " Charmaine come here, your father has a new book for you to read, the school called me about it"

Charmaine " Yes Papa what is the Book called?"

Monsieur Compiegne " Its called Motherland, and from what I hear it is an interesting book about alternate history, your favorite subject"

Parisian Times
March 25th Edition

Motherland, extreme alternate history or writings of a history mad man?

"Motherland encompasses the possibility of a Soviet Victory in WW2 in 1946 instead of a german one. The book itself encompasses a surprise Soviet victory in Stalingrad and a Soviet victory at Kursk thus beginning a slow march of Russian troops to Berlin trogging through Eastern Europe. In 1944 as the Allies enter France Soviet paratroopers begin to invaded Northern Italy as southern Italy falls into Allied Hands. The War ends with Germany and much of China under communist control, Europe solidly communist save for France, south Italy, and Iberia. Britain a Republican dictatorship in the midst of a civil war and America in a War with Communist India on the side of the Democratic Republic of India and Japan having entered an uneasy alliance with the US and British monarchy in exile. Meanwhile Africa is divided in a massive war between apartheid states and communist forces"

Arthurista
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Arthurista » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:57 am

Whitehall, London, 19 March 1950

"Are we prepared to support the Red Army in the coming operation, Will?" Clement Attlee asked his Chief of Imperial Defence Staff. The left wing Labour government has maintained a cordial relationship with the USSR. After all, at the very least they were keeping the Germans busy on their end rather than the West.

Sir William Slim was one of the rare things in the British army, one of the few allied commanders who actually succeeded in something. In the aftermath of the 1942 disasters in Burma, he held the Anglo-Indian army together, prepared it ruthlessly for jungle warfare before decisively defeating the Japanese invasion of India in Imphal and Kohima in 1944. The 1945 counteroffensive into Burma bogged down and got nowhere, but that hardly diminished his reputation. His only equal as a senior commander was Bernard Montgomery, his predecessor to the post, who left in 1948 to become head the SHAEF (Supreme Headquarters Allied European Forces) in Dijon, allowing Slim to become, in effect, CinC of British forces everywhere else around the world.

"Well, we've done exactly this sort of thing with them before, in Iran 1941 you may recall." Slim replied. "As you know, Clement, the ceasefire agreement never expressly mention Sinkiang. For once, His Majesty's forces can act openly, somewhat.It would, naturally, provoke the Japanese and the Germans, but given that this theatre is so far away from either, I don't see how they can intervene. The problem is more on our end - we are stretched thin as it is and I'm loathe to pull forces from MIDEASTCOM. We can, however, send in a squadron of the new SAS, backed by a battalion paratrooper regiment. If the worst comes to the worst and all chips are down, an Indian division under Maj General Kodendera Thimayya is standing by to come through the Khunjerab Pass from Kashmir - three motorised infantry brigades and a regiment of Sherman tanks. Backed by Mosquito fighter-bombers form the RAF and the RIAF, they'll brush aside any bunch of yahoos that this Sheng chap can throw together to stop the combined offensive. Just one thing, Clement, what are you demanding in return?"

"Well, considering this and the multitude of aid we've given them in the past 6 years ... I suppose it's only just that we ask for something in recompense. Bevin's drafting a list of requests right now. Chief upon which is to let us borrow their Pacific Fleet at Vladivostok in the event of a showdown with Japan. We did help them build their new Sovietsky Soyuz Class battleships and Stalingrad Class battlecruisers, after all, not to mention those new Kostromitinov Class carriers. Simultaneous threats to Hokkaido from Ivan, to the Philippines from the Yanks and to Burma by our own forces should see them scurrying for cover, I'm sure of it."
Last edited by Arthurista on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Thrice Crownlands
Envoy

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Thrice Crownlands » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:28 pm

Vichy, Seat of the Southern French Republic, March 21st of the 1950th Year of the Common Era

It was a position few men would have dared dreamed of.

Charles de Gaulle stood as the Prime Minster of France, one of the greatest nations to grace the earth. He stood strong, having fought back the impossible Juggernaut of The Reich's army and their Fascist collaboratives, and well loved by his people. And yet... in any other circumstances, this would have been a sweet victory, but he still felt filthy somehow, as if his honor had not yet been satisfied.

"My highest advisers," he turned his head first to the left, then the right, the two men he could trust most of all meeting with him in the deepest rooms of The Opera; a poor comparison to The Palace, but a substitute he had to live with. At the left, hair combed back an in a simple black suit, sat Pierre France, his Finance Minister. It would be a bit odd for anybody else; a middle-aged Jew, having gone through the leanest times of the French people, to be so firm on distributing the money of The State. Yet, socialist he was, he knew a good investment when he saw one, and Charles had him to thank for the masterful economic plan that had pulled France from the economic gutter over the past 5 years.

To his right, was a man he knew far better; Raoul Magrin-Vernerey. He was an old general; a highly decorated veteran of both The Great War and World War, loyal commander of the 1st Free French. There was nothing in the world, it seemed that could slow the man down; not injury, not thirst, not an army of any size. He was almost as much a hero of the people as Charles was, and as loyal to his adopt France... and his wisdom would be useful in the days ahead.

"Gentlemen and friends," Charles whispered in the dim chambers, keeping the eyes of both the men. " You know as well as I do the straits we face. I am thankful for your services to the Republic... every one of them. But the time for celebration has not yet come." And what a true statement that was. At one point, he thought it had been close; 6 years ago, things had been looking hopeful. The Free French had joined up with The Army of the United States for Operation Dragoon. The Vichy French forces were being driven back left and right, cities falling like ripe fruit into the Allies hands, relief from the New Romans decisively defeated outside Toulon, a line being pushed up the Alps and Paris itself not so far in the distance... but then, they'd been shuffled into this "Third Armistice", leaving Paris and half his nation in the hands of the Facists. At first, it had looked bleak for his nation, but soon, he discovered several unforeseen advantages; As a new nation, as a provision of the Armistice, he'd been able to convince the nations of the world to cancel France's outstanding debts, while Paris was weighed down by reparations and costs to The Reich. Thanks to Pierre's masterful "Five Year Plan", as he would put it (The PR campaign, of course, had styled it as a National Recovery Act), and strong investment from the now-booming United States had taken the shell of an economy he'd inherited and turned it into something worth speaking of... even if they still had to purchase a good number of armaments from The British Empire to arm both his Army of the South and the newly developed, citizen-solider Partisans. For now, at least, he was safe... but not satisfied.

"In that spirit, I would like a summery of our current conditions. And you may be completely honest; the words will not leave this room." Pierres shuffled about the small pile of papers he constantly had in front of him, coughing into his hand as he took the initiative.

"Well, Mr. Minister Sir, the news is mostly good. Let's see..." He drew one of the papers to the top, looking down closely. "The new canning facility was just completed in Avignon, two weeks ahead of schedule. Our exports have been steadily increasing, mostly to the Japanese and South America, ever since we established universal free trade. Not to mention, an American company called General Mills has sent as request for the establishment of a local branch; they say they would like to intrigrate more wheat into their supply, since their home regions are converting over to corn as a predominate crop. My seal of approval is still drying on the paper." There was something off about his face though... something happy but also a bit worrisome.

"... and the bad news?"

Pierre swallowed, averting his eyes as he tried to avoid the issue. "This is really more a security issue then a financial one." Raoul gave a knowing, but harsh look, standing up and placing his arms on the table, to help support himself.

"I believe I know what my collage is referring to." Raoul looked Charles straight in the eyes as he spoke, never wavering. "As of late, our garrison on the north-eastern borders of the People's Republic have been receiving unscheduled shipments of M 18s and ammunition... trucks, every week like clockwork. None of the commanders ever recall ordering them, and we've yet to receive any charge. Its interesting... because just two days ago, we discovered a former weapons manufacturer which was supposed to be out of business, up and running. Quite close to the Swiss border... if you understand what I'm saying."

"Communists," Charles spat out almost immediately. The Communists of Facist France, Germany, Italy... anywhere Facism held sway, were stickly banned. So, what else could they have done but sneak over the border into Switzerland. Every week, more and more of them came into The Republic; some documented, some not, hoping to reek revenge on the nations which had cast them aside. These ones, apparently, had developed some sort of commune and were trying to gain the favor of the French Army.

"I'd hardly say its bad news," Pierre chimed in, his voice calmer now. "They're contributing to the economic well-being of The Republic, and assisting in our defence, while asking for nothing but honor in return. They're making better use of the building then its owner ever could. Now," he paused, giving a glance to Raoul. "I'm not in charge of the depot listings, but this is hardly an inefficient project, is it Gereal."

Now it was time for Raoul to sweat, Du Gaulle, admitting, looking a bit torn. "They are rather industrious," he was forced to admit, begrudgingly. "But their's is still a kind our glorious nation has no need of."

"Gentlemen," Charles decreed, standing up straight. "Economic and military revitalization are more important then mere matters of philosophy. France has grown into the nation it is today by learning from the world around it, and when we've failed to do so, as the Bourbons of old sometimes did, we suffered. If they are a boon to the nation, then by all means leave them be." The sheer weight of his statement brought the two men back to their seats, Charles furrowing his brow heavily.

Such good men... if only they could agree more.

Kryskov
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryskov » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:53 pm

White House
Washington, DC
March 24, 1950

Republican President Thomas Dewey got out his diaries of the past few years. They covered the whole course of the war.

The US had suffered a moral blow more than anything. Carriers, battleships, divisions, and the like could be repaired and rebuilt. The losses of some barren, uninhabited islands with some military bases weren't going to affect the country much. It's not like they stopped Japan anyways. This war was a great blow to the US' prestige.

The expansion of Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy was quite concerning to Dewey and the internationalist Congress. Several upgrades to the bases in Hawaii were made, especially Pearl Harbor. These included better radar, a greater sense of organization, and the equipment of the new F-86 Sabre jet fighters. The B-52 Stratofortress was under testing, as were select-fire modifications to the M1 Garand. These were accompanied by the construction of the Forrestal Class Carrier and the Mitscher class destroyers. Dewey would soon enough sell the surplus weapons to the UK and South France.

OOC: Sorry for short OP, might edit it later. It's getting late and this is taking longer than expected.

Benutanairan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Benutanairan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:51 pm

The Parisian Times
March 26th edition

Henry VI to be elected King by Action Francaise in Grand Assembly

Henry VI the current leader of the French Monarchy in exile who has been the long line of claimant successors to the Orleanist Throne has been Elected by the Grand Assembly in an attempt to differentiate the country from its Republican neighbors. President Jean Cleade Christophe accepted the title of Grand Marshal once held by Petain. Many blame the troubles of the 3rd Republic having caused the radical ideas of Monarchism to spread within France. The country is expected to be retitled the Federal Kingdom of France.

Constitutional Referendum of 1950 in progress
In order to fit with the emergency ascension of the monarchy the Grand Assembly, the countries reforming government is seeking to enact a new constitution to enact the beginning of a new era, an era of peace within the French country. This includes reforming the Charter of Occupation in terms of German troops stationed in Paris and the Loire river as the GAOL.

European Federal Parliament to begin meeting in Geneva for elections of European Federal Council
the 1st meeting of the European Federal Parliament has been commissioned within the neutral state of Switzerland. The European Federal Parliament was born out of the demand for peace within Europe and mainly as a recourse between the dominant powers of Germany and Britain. The European Federal council is expected to conclude representatives from the low countries and eastern Europe as well. The idea of the universal European passport has also been suggested as well.

French Economic Council to change title of French currency from Franc to Royal Franc
In order to fit with the re-ascension of the French monarchy within the country, the further production of Franc's are to have the title Royal Franc's henceforth beginning March 30th, 1950 this is also to accommodate the British Pound and German Mark which have become vital currencies with France.

French General Elections to be planned upon dedication of 1950 Constitution/ Statute of Emergency declared over

France's now Grand Marshal Jean Cleade Christophe has promised general elections in the government following the approval of the 1950 constitution, in order to prepare for government transitions the statute of emergency which has been in effect since 1940 has been declared over alongside the Rationing portion of the act. The elections in order to prevent fraud and possible negligence will be monitored by the French Electoral Commission

France to Federalize all remaining colonies into States upon approval of 1950 constitution
An end to colonial practices is expected upon the approval of the 1950 constitution as Algeria, Levantine, and Equatorial Africa are expected to be federalized into state and receive new elected administrations after being federalized into states.
Last edited by Benutanairan on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hypparchia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hypparchia » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:10 am

Novosibirsk, March 26

The Sinkiang operation would be executed by some 7,500 troops divided in one brigade and several regiments, supported by dozens of ground attack aircraft and some rocket artillery. Stavka did not want to risk sending in heavy equipment due to the hazardous nature of the Turkestani terrain, especially in spring. Beria and the top brass had agreed that the operation should begin with aerial attacks against the main transport corridors in and out of Dihua - the railroad connecting the city with China and the three low-grade roads going northwest, southeast and south. A second flight of Il-2Ms would attempt to break down any air defences in the city, clearing the path for airborne troops, and, if possible, remain to support the ground operation. The priority for all troops would be the fortified government residence where Sheng and and his closest associates reside.

Meanwhile, rifle and motor rifle regiments would cross the border with Sinkiang and attack all military assets of Sheng's government in an attempt to keep them away from the capital. The time given for the execution of this operation was 14 hours, and it was to begin around 4 AM local time.

Beria was enthusiastic about the operation, especially now when the British have agreed to participate. He was in his cabinet, smoking a pipe in the same manner as his late mentor Stalin and talking to Molotov.

"The British are not very eager to take part in this adventure though. Their lines are stretched, they barely manage to supply an adequate defensive capability to their Middle Eastern holdings", said Molotov.

"Shows that they're not in only to be the Good Samaritan."

"Indeed. They said they will compile an agreement - they give us a hand in the operation, which Zhukov named 'Osada', we commit our Pacific fleet to their effort should they go to war with the Japanese."

"Not something to be bargained lightly. You know a two-front war is never a good thing."

"I do, Lavrentiy Pavlovich. But in my opinion, if we are to ever liberate our lands west of the Urals, we shouldn't wait for the Japanese to attack us when we start a strategic counteroffensive operation. We should dismantle their war machine before we begin to press on the Axis."

"We have technological and industrial superiority over them, so it can happen. Rokossovsky reported earlier that all units to participate in Operation Osada have been equipped and are currently deploying to their positions. We're already flying aerial intelligence missions, so far the information received hints that we will meet little resistance. But we should inform the British not to deploy too many forces. Will their airborne units participate in the attack on Dihua, or they have their own targets ?"

"I haven't informed them of our specific plans yet, since you advised me to be cautious about disclosing information on the campaign. I will provide them with the details."

"Good. Tell them we agree to their terms. As soon as we receive a confirmation from them, I'll green-light the operation and meet with Zhmachenko, Tretyak, Perhorovich and Zhukov to discuss last-minute measures".

A minute later Molotov was out of the room, and Beria continue to smoke his pipe, with some song by Oleg Lundstryom playing quietly from his gramophone in the background.

Kryskov
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryskov » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:18 pm

American Expeditionary Force HQ "Camp Casper"
Outside Cholet, French Fourth Republic

The smell of coffee filled the room as Lieutenant General Lucian Truscott read through the briefings of the day. Truscott was the commander of what was dubbed the American Expeditionary Force. The 2nd and 3rd infantry divisions were folded into this makeup, as well as the 1st Armored Division. The Americans had committed this force in order to reinforce the Republican French side of the demilitarized zone. The AEF was, ironically, pushed back in terms of priority, although it was closest to the Fascist-aligned forces. Still operating M4 Shermans in the 1st Armored and the P-80 Shooting Star in the 67th Fighter Wing, Truscott was constantly requesting more supplies. Luckily, they were heard.

The Shermans were to remain in their posts until combat arms agreements could be made with the other Allies. However, the P-80's were going to be returned and scrapped for parts once F-86's came in. Additionally, new select-fire M1 Garand, renamed the M2 Garand, and the M2 Carbine were being shipped over there in addition to the M3A1 submachine guns to replace the Thompsons.

Truscott was very cautious with the Northern French and Germans. He kept in close contact with other commanders on the border to understand the situation at all times. With this new equipment, Truscott knew that he could keep infantry divisions at bay. However, Truscott anticipated that the Americans could be overrun by superior armored brigades, so more emphasis was placed on Bazooka training. In addition, Truscott had several spots of land pre-designated with the mortars.

Attu Missile Range, Attu Island, Alaska
Bunker Able

This was it. The culmination of all of the research between the Trinity detonation and now was about to be unleashed. What would be the world's first "thermonuclear weapon" sat in the top of it's tower.

One minute. Everyone put on their goggles. The laminated glass offered a perfect, reasonably safe view of the bomb.

30 seconds. The scientists' hearts were beating rapidly. Billions of dollars had gone into the "Ivy Mike" hydrogen bomb. If this were a dud, there would certainly be an investigation.

The bomb dropped. It only took half a second to detonate. Oh, what a sight it was! A mushroom cloud slowly drove up into the air. The great wind that resulted from the blast was visible as it kicked up and erased the snow from the land.

Arthurista
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Arthurista » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Dihua, Sinkiang, March 26 1950

Jack Lazenby, mid-30s, looked every bit like a gentleman explorer of the old Victorian era - khaki shirt and pants, sun helmet, water canteen on his belt and camera around his neck, a harmless tourist or adventurous trader in exotic parts. This was fitting, as the man he was meeting was even more old-school than himself.

Muhammad Cheng was in his 80s, a merchant who exported dates, melons and other produce of Central Asia to China proper, mostly when Sinkiang was a part of China. It nominally still is - though Nanking's reach was nowhere near long enough to govern this wayward province, allowing the warlord Shen Shicai to set himself up as the local tinpot.

Since time immemorial, Cheng has been a veteran of the geo-political 'great game' of the 19th century, that jockeying for power in Central Asia between the British and Russian Empires as a buffer between India and Siberia. Cheng spied for Britain, as his father did before him, his family's caravans and wholesalers a convenient way to extend his network of agents and the information he garnered on Russian and Chinese forces deployed to the interior have always been valuable.

Now, of course, Russia and Britain were acting in concert. That was none of Cheng's concern, he has always been well-compensated in his weight in gold. Literally. In an economy where idiot warlords printed paper money that inflated into the thin air, gold was as valuable as ever.

Lazenby spoke first. "So, this guard captain, Yin, he is willing to open the gate for..."

"Two hundred pounds, or four hundred US dollars. Roubles are aren't worth much in these parts, not to mention Chinese Yuan." The old man replied. "On the agreed date and time, your men will give the signal in the form of a flare gun, upon which his detachment of the guards will open the gates of the presidential palace."

"Excellent. We always knew we can count on you, Mr Cheng." Lazenby was pleased, though not at all surprised. The MI6 officer knew a good asset when he could see one. That evening, he would return to the safehouse where the 24 SAS commandos were preparing. Most of the assaulting men had silenced sten guns, while two snipers had scoped lee enfields. The captain in command, however, has chosen to go with a Russian PPSh-41, fairly common in these parts. Fed from a 71 drum magazine, it would easily saw anyone who dared to challenge him at close quarters in half.

Gilgit, Kashmir

At the height of the Soviet intervention into Sinkiang in the 1920s, anticipating trouble, the British administration built a decent tarmac airfield in this high altitude town, surrounded by the snowcapped Pamir mountains. With that conflict over, the airfield slumbered until, thirty years later, it was finally being put to use for its intended purpose.

To maintain operational security, the forces mustered for the operation were marshalled and trained far to the south before being brought north on the eve of the launch date. It was a mostly Indian operation - they knew the terrain well and British troops could not be spared from commitments elsewhere. Once the go order is given, The squadrons of Mosquito fighter bombers and B-24 Liberators of the Royal Indian Air Force would take off at night and hit Dihua in the early hours of the next day, attacking targets identified by the MI6 and GRU. They would then proceed to Soviet Kazakhstan, refuel, resupply, and attack Dihua again at dawn, coinciding with the arrival of the paratroopers.

With darkness and surprise on their side, it seemed that there was no way they could fail at all.
Last edited by Arthurista on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Albion Rhodesia
Ambassador

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Albion Rhodesia » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:11 pm

The Rhodesia Herald (Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia)
March 26th 1950
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

From Salisbury to Victoria Falls speculation and rumors of a meeting between the Premiers of Southern Rhodesia, The Union of South Africa, and the Governors of The Colony and Protectorate of Kenya, Northern Rhodesia and the Protectorate of Nyasaland have been confirmed.

In a closed door meeting at Rhodesia House in London, the representatives of Britain's "Predominantly White" Colonies came together to discuss whether their future lay with the Commonwealth, a loose political federation or perhaps full dominion status. While South Africa has been politically independent of Britain since signing of the Statute of Westminster, the status of Southern Rhodesia, and the other represented nations, has been noting more than semi-devolved colonies being controlled directly from London.

The other topic of highly charged debate, was that of Britain's continued insistence on allowing for great involvement of Black African community, in what most would see as being settler's affairs. Many within the assembled already feel as though the current Labour Government is beginning to abandon the settler community, and instead more focused on issues in Europe and India.

There was also a long discussion on "Imperial Defence", and how active of a role that the assembly should have to continue to play, as currently the colonies and dominion have each continued to provide troops to Britain, while local defence matters go almost totally ignored, and it has been felt that neither the War Office, the Admiralty nor the Air Ministry have done anything in the way, of aiding her servicemen abroad. It has been noted by the Southern Rhodesian Air Force, that while India has been furnished with modern jet propelled aircraft, our fair country continues to rely on surplus Spitfires and other propeller driven aircraft.

By the end of the days events, a long list of grievances had been established, however of those assembled, few feel that Britain will do much more than provide empty platitudes, and continue to recruit settlers to serve overseas, while degrading settle power at home in favor of African advancement.

It should be noted however, that here in Salisbury that attitude of the populace is that unless Britain begins to seriously address the issue of the colonies, she may one day wake up to find that in her hour of need, her colonies have turned their back, as Mother England has as of recent seemed to have done to us.
Embassies of the Dominion of Albion Rhodesia:
The Constitutional Monarchy of Third Mexican Empire

Arthurista
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Arthurista » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:20 pm

Whitehall, London, March 27 1950

"They're certainly not happy. Seriously displeased, in fact." Patrick Gordon Walker, Secretary for the Commonwealth, did not sound at all pleased either. "My feelers in Salisbury and Johannesburg are feeling the heat. The settlers are restless. They think we're ignoring their problems while hoisting the issue of native empowerment on them."

"What do they want?" Prime Minister Clement Attlee replied, frustrated by the intractable problem. "In this day and age, no minority can rule a majority forever without eventually resorting to force, which, again, we can't do in this day and age."

"De Gaulle will be happy, though. South France has its own African colonial problems."

" Fuzzy wuzzies-ism doesn't wash with the Americans and the Russians, at least not officially, and we need them both on our side. We can give some grounds when negotiating the nitty gritty mechanics of black enfranchisement. Slow the process down, throw in some education or property requirements, that sort of thing. It doesn't change the fact, however, that the process will exist and roll on until any residual inequality is justifiable and palatable internationally."

"What about weapons?"

"I talked this over with MINDEF. Emanuel believes we can send them equipment which are reasonably modern, if not on the 'white heat' edge of technological development. Say, high performance piston fighters like the Sea Fury or De Havilland Hornet. I mean, what threat are they expecting to face? Do they need to quell bandits in the bush with jet-powered Meteors?"

"And, of course, if this whole house of cards collapse and we need to, ah, retrieve the situation..." Walker did not relish the thought, but it was part of their job description to think of the worst.

"If that happens, the fact that there are no jet fighters in Africa south of the equator makes it far more convenient indeed." Attlee said. "Of course, even if they do, we still have to deal with small issues such as how to convince the army to fight their fellow Englishmen. Let as at least tackle the problems that we can handle for the time being."

"Of course, anything else, Clement?"

"That's it for now. I shall be attending a meeting at the Foreign Office regarding swapping weapons designs with the Americans, F-86 Sabres for Centurion tanks. Let's hope the deal goes well."
Last edited by Arthurista on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sovjetia
Minister

Founded: Feb 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovjetia » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:44 pm

Madrid,Spain March 30 1950

the spainish production of the nazi panzer IV has hit new hights and the spainidh military grew and the temtations of invadeing portugal was growing panzer divisions began moving west to the border and ME 110s scouted the borderlands and Spainish scout cars drove deep into portugese land and the reforming spainish navy sailed around succuring the waters
any questions or comments just tg me!

Join the Empire of Andrew

Albion Rhodesia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Albion Rhodesia » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:47 pm

The Meade Farmstead
"The White Highlands" (Central Uplands)
Colony and Protectorate of Kenya
30th of March, 1950

Thomas Meade had always been a patriotic man and a true Britain. He'd answered his country's call in both wars, and had served honorably, however today as he listened to the BBC's Overseas's Service, what he heard coming from London did not please him one bit.

Just as he was about to get up and pour himself a rather stiff drink, he heard the sound of a truck rumbling up towards his farmstead. Not expecting any callers, and having heard rumors of some of the natives getting uppity as of recent, he grabbed the old and rather worn side-by-side shotgun sitting near the door and walked outside.

As the truck drew closer, Thomas recognized the face of the driver, it was Oswald Crane. Damnable he thought to himself, what could Oswald possibly be wanting, after all the last time he'd seen Oswald was at at the last Kenya Armed Forces Old Comrades Association meeting while in Nairobi however he attempted to avoid Oswald as much as possible.

As the truck rolled to a stop, Oswald Crane jumped out and shuffled on over to Thomas at a speed unknown to Oswald since he faced down "Old Fuzzy Wuzzy" back in his days in the Sudan.

Before Thomas could offer his a cigarette, Oswald in his bellicose and often times panicked fashion began shouting; "There's trouble brewing in the Empire, mark my words that those damnable socialists up in London want to hand our nation over to Fuzzy Wuzzy". Thomas cut off Oswald before he could continue.

"Now Oswald, we addressed this issue at the last KAFOCA meeting, and everyone, including yourself concluded that though there have been some rather unsettling developments in London as a late, it was not our time yet to begin panicking and calling out the Home Guard. After all, you for one have served the British Empire longer than most of us have graced God's green earth". Before Thomas could continue he was once again loudly interrupted by Oswald.

"And that's why I know a storm when I see one coming and this sort of storm is not the kind that we can simply wait out, keep calm and carry on from. If we don't start acting now, I'm afraid that London will sell us and the country that we love down the river to the damned natives, or even worse maybe the Bolshevists. Did you know that Robert Taylor and his family are considering immigrating to the bloody Canada's!"

Thomas had heard the rumor that some members of the KAFOCA had been considering immigrating to more pleasant shores, however he had believed it only to be nothing more than a bit of panic mongering, however Robert had always had a good head on his shoulders, so maybe there was something to these rumors of further native advancement.

"So what are we to do Oswald"?

"Don't fear my lad, don't fear, I've been arranging a meeting of the men of a highlands for quite a while now. In two weeks, we'll come together for a general meeting on what should be done to avert was could possibly quite quickly turn into a spot of bother".

Before Thomas could answer, Oswald had already shuffled back to his truck. Damn Thomas thought to himself, how in world could this be happening, but unbeknownst to Thomas and all the other inhabitants of the "White Highlands", events that were about to transpire in Mombasa were to have dire consequences for all white settlers across British Africa.

Thrice Crownlands
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Thrice Crownlands » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:14 pm

Toliara, Port of the French Colony of Madagascar, March 28th

Toliara wasn't the busiest port the island had to offer; granted, it was on the coast of Madagascar and, thus, prime real estate by any local's imagination, but it was nothing compared to the busy harbors farther north, who handled most of the exports and supplies from the inland. No, Toliara was little more then a refueling station for vessels rounding The Cape... at least, that's what it used to be. Ever since The Armistice, however, many of the townsfolk had noticed a fair uptick in the number of times a ship would steam over the horizon and taking port, waving the flags of no small number of nations, mostly South American, but a number with The Stars and Stripes and even Union Jack. For instance, the pair of boats waving the green and blue of Brazil that were reloading their passengers right now, French customs authorities counting them as they marched up the ramp . There were a number of rumors rumbling through the potshops and allies, rumors of a new island in the Indian Ocean, or a British "population tweaking" effort to help stabilize India. Of course, these rarely came out of the shadows except in the drunkenest of nights, so unbelievable that the local French garrison hadn't even bothered to make a report on it.

The truth was, there wasn't any sort of conspiracy, erstwise any government was concerned. Unless, of course, The Soviets themselves were involved, but it seemed unlikely. It was a cause built on hushed whispers, or the machinery of the local Communist parties, driven by the followers of Communism the world over to assist The Soviets in the protection of "The Cause". It wasn't a plan of any French authority; just the local commanders accepting what was going on and being willing to turn a blind eye to it. The boats, like some of the crusades of old, were independent, but all bound for one place; the port of Baddan Abbas, where their passengers would travail through British territory and into The Soviet Union. Few people knew, or cared to even question... so long as the docking fees were paid and the passengers put some money in their pockets, that is.

Bordeaux, Southern French Republic, March 29th

Bordeaux, on the other hand, was a accustomed to frequent traffic; being The Southern Republic's connection to the Atlantic and, thus, her principal port. However, even the cosmopolitan population of the city had to respect the elegant wonder that glid into the harbor. She was a luxury liner of the finest quality; recently refitted, refined, and half rebuilt to celebrate her 25th anneversery of service. Everything, from the deck to the cabins to even the smokestacks glistened with freshness and finery, crafted with the attention to detail on a Frenchman can truly comprehend. She was the SS. Ile De France, the pinnacle of global people transport, and a true representation of French art.

Which was why it was so strange that one of her flagpoles wasen't waving The Tricolor at all.

She'd sailed in from the north that morning, gleaming in the sunlight, and while the front, and higher, flagpole did indeed carry the French flag, the rear certainly did not. Instead, flapping one on top of the other, were banners that nobody had seen in over nearly 10 years; The Dutch, The Belgians, Luxembourg, and Republican Spain. It'd been sailing along the coast of Facist France for days, as if in mockery, bearing on her the heads-of-government in exile of these nations, and were to be met with every honor members of their station deserved, their Free forces standing strong with a French Honor Guard to welcome them into harbor, with Charles himself standing by to shake their hands. Despite his duties in Vichy... he'd felt it was his personal duty as a hero to the fallen nations to stand with them. Besides... if the meeting he had planned went well, it would have strong strategic implications as well.

A rousing chorus of La Marseillaise was sounded as the boarding platform was lowered into the harbor, a roaring crowd having gathered to see the spectical, including a number of refugees from the representative nations, the sounds made even more chaotic by the number of langues they were shouted in. Each of the heads-of-state, an their monarchs, when appropriate, were led down one by one, flanked by solders from their Free forces, their own Anthems accompanying their steps as they came to meat The Prime Minister, who'd fitted himself in his old military uniform for just this occasion. Gerbrandy and Wilhelmina from The Neatherlands, their faces having noticeably aged since he'd seen them last, so many years ago in London, the stress of seeing their people suffer having weighed them down. Pierre Dupong and His Dutchess, similarly paired, were next, their fan noticably louder then the first. All of them were worn, hard... but he could see it in their eyes, a resolve hard a steel, showing that their culture and spirit had not died with the nations that had held them. Facism could crush bodies, buildings, and even governments... but it could not destroy nationalism. The Ancein Regimes had tried to do the same, over a century ago, and the French people had proved them wrong. And, God willing, soon the cobbled-together Reich of the Germans and those Monarchists to the north would learn what the Czars and Kings and Sultans had learned; that power to rule flows from the consent of the governed, not by the outdated notion of divine right. That, out the authority of a legal Mandate

And, when they finally did meet behind their closed doors, he hoped to not only have accomplished this, but to give these fine men and women nations back. It was time for the 2nd Conference of the Congo.
Last edited by Thrice Crownlands on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Albion Rhodesia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Albion Rhodesia » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:50 pm

Headlines from British Africa:

Cape Times(Cape Town, Union of South Africa)
March 30th 1950
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Does South Africa have a future in the British Commonwealth?

The Nyasaland Times(Blantyre, Nyasaland)
March 30th 1950

Are we losing the Shire Valley to the Natives?

The Northern News(Ndola, Northern Rhodesia)
March 30th 1950

Do Europeans have a future in Northern Rhodesia?

The East African Standard(Nairobi, Colony and Protectorate of Kenya)
March 30th 1950

Might we lose the White Highlands?

The Rhodesia Herald(Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia)
March 30th 1950

Southern Rhodesia still denied dominion status by Britain

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:29 am

Parisian Times
March 30th 1950

Rene Coty of French Conservative Party elected Grand Marshall to the Kingdom of France.

"Today Rene Coty will fill the executive position of Grand Marshall within the Kingdom of France and has promised talks with Germany over the occupation charter to allow the refocus of german troops to the Loire and to refocus German security efforts within Paris. The new french government was chosen in emergency elections by the Grand Assembly several days ago and is expected to take in full effect within a few days. The Grand Assembly has set the administrations term limit to 1955 as a one term administration. In order to avoid bureaucratic ineptitude similiar to the Soviet Union."

King Henry VI to tour French Africa/Middle East

"As part of the new initiation of the King, the government has begun a series of decided tours throughout French Africa and the middle eastern provinces as part of a goodwill tour throughout the country. It is expected after his tour in the exterior provinces he will tour the interior provinces and possibly go on to lower africa, China, and Japan. "

Grand Assembly ends National Security Act declaring an end to an era of curfew and martial law

"The new session of the Grand Assembly in a confident move declared in a mass vote the end to the NSA ending nearly a decade of martial laws, interior security provisions, and a nationwide curfew as part of a greater platform by the new administration. The French can now go out past ten and regular amendments of the new constitution shall enter full effect. The French military is expected to scale down operations in the various cities under its control "
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Thrice Crownlands
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Thrice Crownlands » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:48 am

The Vichy Liberator,
April 1st, 1950, Afternoon Edition

Viva Le Congo! Second Congo Conference Ends with establishment of French Protectorates in Congo

The nation has been waiting anxiously for two days now as Prime Minster Charles Du Gaulle and his staff met with authorities from the governments of Belgium, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, and Republican Spain in the town hall of Bordeaux, their agenda previously kept a secret from the public. However, as the assorted heads of state exited the room, it was announced that the former Belgian Congo, currently held by the Belgian Free forces, would be transformed into several French "Dependent States", the former governments of The Low Countries and Spain being place in local control. Though Charles himself was not free for interview, our exclusive questioning of Achille Acker, the Belgian Prime Minster and the first signature of the Treaty of Bordeaux, the legal document in question, revealed that "Things were quite civil, if a bit dour." These Dependent states; Dutch Congo (Which will be made up the Lado, Llelle, Llbanghi,and Bangala Districts), Luxembourg Congo (which will be made up of the Equateur and Lake Leopold Districts) , Belgian Congo (Made up of the Stanly Falls, Aruwimi, Lualaba Kassai districts and the Ruanda-Urundi mandate) , and Spanish Congo (made up of the Stanly Pool and Kwango Oriental Districts), will be established as soon as the governments of the respective nations can make it to the jointly-operated coastal territories, accompanies by their Free navies and armies to "Reign and rule, under the protection and supervision of the French state, until such a time as new arrangements are made." There is no word yet on how many Southern French forces will be deployed there, to bolster the existing Free forces.
=
Last edited by Thrice Crownlands on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents