NATION

PASSWORD

What's up at the WA?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Marcuslandia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

What's up at the WA?

Postby Marcuslandia » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:50 pm

For once, a suggestion that has absolutely nothing to do with the I/D game.

When you log in to NS, you get taken to your nation's homepage. I believe it would be useful to have a table block set up on the right side of that page (probably below Political Freedoms and to the right of National Happenings). In that table would be "Proposal currently up for vote by the WA:Name of Proposal", "Under discussion at the Security Council:names of threads currently active within the last X hours", and perhaps several other useful links to what's happening in the WA, and maybe some "How does the WA function?" links.

I'm not interested enough to camp out at the WA much of the time. And with everything going on elsewhere, I wouldn't have the time anyway. But there are issues that, if they are up for a vote, I most definitely would like to cast my vote. This would help prevent those items sliding by under my radar.

There are several advantages to placing this panel on a nation's homepage. One is that that area is usually "dead" space anyway. As I mentioned, it would be useful to players such as myself. It may actually get more people involved in the WA that may have been missing out on that portion of the game. Because it's on the homepage, WA stuff wouldn't get missed because the player didn't go his region or to the WA itself. It can be totally ignored by anyone that has ZERO interest in the WA. Once set up in the programming, it could pretty much run on autopilot, updating itself simply by referring to certain specific data fields. Plus, as a program feature, it could probably be able to be "switched off" if the player absolutely even deal with looking at it.

Other than the effort to do the programming and implementation, I can't see a downside.
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, your life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: What's up at the WA?

Postby Unibot » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:30 pm

For once, a suggestion that has absolutely nothing to do with the I/D game.

When you log in to NS, you get taken to your nation's homepage. I believe it would be useful to have a table block set up on the right side of that page (probably below Political Freedoms and to the right of National Happenings). In that table would be "Proposal currently up for vote by the WA:Name of Proposal", "Under discussion at the Security Council:names of threads currently active within the last X hours", and perhaps several other useful links to what's happening in the WA, and maybe some "How does the WA function?" links.

I'm not interested enough to camp out at the WA much of the time. And with everything going on elsewhere, I wouldn't have the time anyway. But there are issues that, if they are up for a vote, I most definitely would like to cast my vote. This would help prevent those items sliding by under my radar.

There are several advantages to placing this panel on a nation's homepage. One is that that area is usually "dead" space anyway. As I mentioned, it would be useful to players such as myself. It may actually get more people involved in the WA that may have been missing out on that portion of the game. Because it's on the homepage, WA stuff wouldn't get missed because the player didn't go his region or to the WA itself. It can be totally ignored by anyone that has ZERO interest in the WA. Once set up in the programming, it could pretty much run on autopilot, updating itself simply by referring to certain specific data fields. Plus, as a program feature, it could probably be able to be "switched off" if the player absolutely even deal with looking at it.

Other than the effort to do the programming and implementation, I can't see a downside.

Possibly the WA badge could glow red if you've haven't voted on the proposal-at-vote yet ?

Marcuslandia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Marcuslandia » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:43 pm

Unibot wrote:Possibly the WA badge could glow red if you've haven't voted on the proposal-at-vote yet ?

That would be a nice graphic effect. But I think simply repeating the "Marcuslandia's position: FOR (or AGAINST, or Has not yet voted)" on the WA page would suffice.

"Choose wisely."

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:48 pm

That would be a nice graphic effect. But I think simply repeating the "Marcuslandia's position: FOR (or AGAINST, or Has not yet voted)" on the WA page would suffice.

I was thinking in minimalistic terms - 'cause I'd hate to see our Nation's pages cluttered.

It could be, if you hovered your cursor over the badge, the hovering text would read your government's position.
Last edited by Unibot on Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcuslandia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Marcuslandia » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:08 pm

I was actually looking to see a bit more than just the current proposal. More like an index of current events without actually having to jump to the WA. If the entries were linked, I could even bypass the foyer and go directly to what caught my interest.

"Choose wisely."

Return to Technical