NATION

PASSWORD

Miami's tent city for sex offenders

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Muravyets
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12755
Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Miami's tent city for sex offenders

Postby Muravyets » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:27 am

Lizardiar wrote:You wouldn't be disgusted by them since they had sex with a 6 year-old?

The personal disgust -- even hatred -- that I feel for such people does not give me justification to abuse them. Abuse is abuse, and it is always wrong -- or else it wouldn't be abuse. A bad victim does not make a bad action good.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

User avatar
Cabra West
Senator
 
Posts: 4984
Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Miami's tent city for sex offenders

Postby Cabra West » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:28 am

Hydrosteria wrote:
Oh and as a side note, most evidence suggests that pedophilic tendencies as it were are incurable.


Interesting, considering that of all criminal offenders, it's the sexual offenders who are in fact least likely to re-offend, if offered psychological help and medical treatment.
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

User avatar
Rathaeria
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 11
Founded: Apr 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Miami's tent city for sex offenders

Postby Rathaeria » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:31 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Yup. The last thing we want to do is increase funding to the police and social services. Thank you for showing me the light.


my point is, just where does all this extra money come from? there are schools to maintain, fire departments, city services, sewar services, etc, etc, etc. Police isn't the only thing. Whose budget do you cut to allow for more funding for somebody else? Which service is less vital than the next? "raising taxes" is not the end-all and be-all of everything. Taxes are already high enough as is. you need to grow up and join the real world. being a smart-ass don't help none either.


It's called proper budgeting and prioritization. I used to live in Florida and understand that the government has a wonderful ability to mismanage it's own budget - seems place of entertainment or abandoned projects like to garner more money then say, the police department. Also, nation wide, security funding was cut back, for reasons that were never sensibly explained to me.

Anyway, when did this become about taxes? :blink: I thought the discussion was centered around essentially human dignity and fair treatment? I agree with Murv, lets get back on subject.

Someone provide evidence that the current way Miami is handling it's sex offenders works in the long run, or at all.

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 130685
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Re: Miami's tent city for sex offenders

Postby Ifreann » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:45 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Yup. The last thing we want to do is increase funding to the police and social services. Thank you for showing me the light.


my point is, just where does all this extra money come from? there are schools to maintain, fire departments, city services, sewar services, etc, etc, etc. Police isn't the only thing. Whose budget do you cut to allow for more funding for somebody else? Which service is less vital than the next? "raising taxes" is not the end-all and be-all of everything. Taxes are already high enough as is. you need to grow up and join the real world.

I never said it would be easy or simple, but if the police and social services are too overworked and understaffed to monitor people known to be likely to commit some kind of serious sex crime(as you said they are) then clearly the need the money.
being a smart-ass don't help none either.

But I enjoy it so.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm
He/Him

Dangerous this Jack o' Hearts.
With his kiss
the riot
starts

User avatar
Eofaerwic
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1079
Founded: Nov 16, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: Miami's tent city for sex offenders

Postby Eofaerwic » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:47 am

Cabra West wrote:
Hydrosteria wrote:
Oh and as a side note, most evidence suggests that pedophilic tendencies as it were are incurable.


Interesting, considering that of all criminal offenders, it's the sexual offenders who are in fact least likely to re-offend, if offered psychological help and medical treatment.


You're both right - sorta. Individuals with a pedophillic sexual orientation do exist, and yes you cannot change sexual orientation. However, this does not mean said individual cannot be taught to control said sexual urges and abstain - just because the sexual attraction is there does not mean people necessarily act on it. Furthermore, these actually constitute a very very small proportion of sexual offenders against minors. After all most cases of sexual abuse of children is due to incest and these individuals have very low reoffence rates. Many more have significant psychological issues either surrounding sex or relations with adults (some due to abuse themselves, others due to mental disturbance, retardations) and these too respond very well to rehabilitation. It's a complex issue and there is no simple solution or simple rule with regards to risk.

Some sex offenders are very risky, who won't respond to treatment, who will reoffend and probably should never be let out, but these are the very small minority compared to those who are relatively low risk. I'd argue that it is better to ensure the justice system is such that those who are a significant risk can be identified in prison and either kept incarcerated or kept under very strict surveillance whilst those who are lower risk are allowed to actually reintegrate in society, forms ties with the community, have a fixed address where they can be monitored and thus even further reduce their chances of reoffending.
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.38
Grave_n_idle: That's much better, that's not creepy at all. Nothing creepy about dropping a hook in someone's brain soup.
Mad hatters in jeans:Why is there a whirlpool inside your head?

User avatar
Psychotic Mongooses
Diplomat
 
Posts: 804
Founded: Mar 07, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Miami's tent city for sex offenders

Postby Psychotic Mongooses » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:50 am

Cabra West wrote:The only conclusion I can draw from this is that you're not interested in stopping people from re-offending, but in plain revenge.

It's the "internet tough guy" syndrome.

User avatar
Cabra West
Senator
 
Posts: 4984
Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Miami's tent city for sex offenders

Postby Cabra West » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:00 am

Eofaerwic wrote:
You're both right - sorta. Individuals with a pedophillic sexual orientation do exist, and yes you cannot change sexual orientation. However, this does not mean said individual cannot be taught to control said sexual urges and abstain - just because the sexual attraction is there does not mean people necessarily act on it. Furthermore, these actually constitute a very very small proportion of sexual offenders against minors. After all most cases of sexual abuse of children is due to incest and these individuals have very low reoffence rates. Many more have significant psychological issues either surrounding sex or relations with adults (some due to abuse themselves, others due to mental disturbance, retardations) and these too respond very well to rehabilitation. It's a complex issue and there is no simple solution or simple rule with regards to risk.

Some sex offenders are very risky, who won't respond to treatment, who will reoffend and probably should never be let out, but these are the very small minority compared to those who are relatively low risk. I'd argue that it is better to ensure the justice system is such that those who are a significant risk can be identified in prison and either kept incarcerated or kept under very strict surveillance whilst those who are lower risk are allowed to actually reintegrate in society, forms ties with the community, have a fixed address where they can be monitored and thus even further reduce their chances of reoffending.


Oh, I didn't mean to say that paedophily can be "cured". It's a sexual orientation, there's very little anybody can do about who or what they feel attracted to.
However, it can be controlled.

As you pointed out, the number of paedophiles is much smaller than the hyped-up press would have us believe. And of that, only a fraction will actually become active sex-offenders. Just being attracted to children does not make a person a sex-offender. Many of them are well aware that to actually approach a child in a sexual way will be harmful for the child, and to a lot of them that thought is unbearable. After all, children are the objects of their affection, they "love" them.

As with all areas in life, the ones we need to fear are the psychopaths, the ones who will not mind hurting others in the least.
And to be perfectly honest, I'd rather see these people institutionalised until - if ever - they'll no longer be threat to the public, rather than having them live under a bridge somewhere.
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

User avatar
Eofaerwic
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1079
Founded: Nov 16, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: Miami's tent city for sex offenders

Postby Eofaerwic » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:22 am

Cabra West wrote:As you pointed out, the number of paedophiles is much smaller than the hyped-up press would have us believe. And of that, only a fraction will actually become active sex-offenders. Just being attracted to children does not make a person a sex-offender. Many of them are well aware that to actually approach a child in a sexual way will be harmful for the child, and to a lot of them that thought is unbearable. After all, children are the objects of their affection, they "love" them.


We are only just starting to really understand sex offending (indeed offending generally, forensic psychology is a relatively young discipline in many ways) and the treatment programmes are generally less effective with paedophiles (in terms of sexual orientation) compared to child sexual offenders for other reasons (mental disurbances etc). However, the more research done, the better we understand it, the better we can use rehabilitation and of course this can be in part because those who end up in prison have issues over and above the sexual orientation.

As with all areas in life, the ones we need to fear are the psychopaths, the ones who will not mind hurting others in the least.


True, but even then many of them won't commit criminal behaviours and indeed many of them often do quite well in business contexts.
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.38
Grave_n_idle: That's much better, that's not creepy at all. Nothing creepy about dropping a hook in someone's brain soup.
Mad hatters in jeans:Why is there a whirlpool inside your head?

User avatar
Blouman Empire
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16068
Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: Miami's tent city for sex offenders

Postby Blouman Empire » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:45 am

Hydrosteria wrote:Oh and as a side note, most evidence suggests that pedophilic tendencies as it were are incurable.


This I believe is more than likely true itr would be like trying to cure a homosexual.

However, in saying that the difference is that people can stop from acting out their thoughts and desires just like a person can stop from acting out their desire from having sex with an adult, cause if they don't and the other person doesn't consent then it is rape.

See the difference?
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

User avatar
South Lorenya
Senator
 
Posts: 3925
Founded: Feb 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: Miami's tent city for sex offenders

Postby South Lorenya » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:52 am

They've done their time. They don't deserve to live in a city where half the population is high-ranked priests. :p
-- King DragonAtma of the Dragon Kingdom of South Lorenya.

Nagas on a plane! ^_^

User avatar
UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11988
Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: Miami's tent city for sex offenders

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:13 am

Hydrosteria wrote:
Allanea wrote:Here's a hint. Even prison inmates get food and running water. People whose prison term is over do not deserve to be confined to what are essentially stone-age conditions.
the barest minimum, there's no good reason to treat 'sex offenders' - which is a nebulous, retarded term covering everybody from real pedophiles to people like that Marine - worse than you treat paroled murderers
At.


Bah, half the people here are going to call me a monster for saying this but people who do terrible things to chidren when they're vulnerable and too young to understand shouldn't receive even basic human rights. If you violate someone elses life for your own grotesque desires be it rape or murder then you should forfeit any rights you had.

As far as i'm concerned they forfeited their rights when they violated other peoples rights. We shouldn't be pushing them under the bridge we should be throwing them off a bridge.

But hay ho, welcome to the 21st century where in Britain the prisoners have a better lifestyle than alot of normal honest citizens.

Oh and as a side note, most evidence suggests that pedophilic tendencies as it were are incurable.


Because children were involved, it makes sense that we can magically throw away all reason and logical thinking. After all, "think of the children" has always lead to sound and justifiable decision making and is not emotional bullshit at all.
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

User avatar
Sdaeriji
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7566
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Miami's tent city for sex offenders

Postby Sdaeriji » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:18 am

SoWiBi wrote:Seriously. If you aren't willing to move to the next fucking town, then I guess you have to bear the consequences.


People keep saying this like they're the first ones in the world to figure this out. This bridge in Miami is not a unique locale where all the sex offenders in Florida congregate. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of similar locations around the country; miserable locations that sex offenders have found are the only places they can legally live. The original article even mentions that correctional authorities began dropping recently released sex offenders at the bridge because there was nowhere else to legally take them.

Miami isn't the only place in the country that has laws like this. It is not as though they can just move to the next town that doesn't have the distance law. The distance may vary, but laws such as this are virtually universal.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

User avatar
Gauthier
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52887
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Miami's tent city for sex offenders

Postby Gauthier » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:13 am

Grays Harbor wrote:I believe you may have set a new record for qualifiers in support of blanket leniency for an entire class of offenders.


Nice false dichotomy and strawman. And in any case, where was it proven that treating Registered Sex Offenders- regardless of the nature of the actual offense- like outcasts even worse than convicted murderers or terrorists will actually prevent them from re-offending? As has been pointed out by others, the stigma attached to the Sex Offender label even after proper sentence has been served will only encourage the lack of registration and in the case of these homeless individuals, to drop out of the legal radar entirely. And the ones that you don't know where they are or what they're doing? Those are the most dangerous.

The "fact" that some areas of "sex offender" may not be the most just in the system is not an argument for leniency, it is, however, an argument that parts of the classification need looked at and perhaps changed. Cases should be looked at individually, not with a "one size fits all" system such as the 'zero tolerence' nonsense. You think things like public urination should not be listed as a sex crime? Good. Then get your city council, legislature, whatever, to remove it from the list as it doesn't belong there. It isn't a justification for blanket leniency though, especially where child molestation is concerned.


Easier said than done. Again, the stigma attached to Sex Offenders are greater than those of murderers or even terrorists like Osama Bin Ladin. No matter what the actual crime was, any Registered Sex Offender will be treated no differently than a child molester. Now, just try and changing the law to make it more fair and what happens? Opponents will simply declare that you're trying to "grant a blanket leniency to child molesters and rapists" and the public outcry will have little trouble preserving such an bass-ackwards law. Until American society learns to stop obcessing with the notion of "Registered Sex Offender = Child Rapist" then people are willing to swallow this draconian crap, if you got caught peeing or you're a teen making out with another teen, then that's too fucking bad.

Also, having ankle bracelets or some sort of GPS monitering system as some others here suggested may sound good, but think on this. Who is going to be doing the monitering? Social Services is already grossly overworked and understaffed. The Police are not much better off. The possibility (yes, I am going to use a qualifier as well) that somebody could slip through the cracks in that system is just as likely as not. And then we would have headlines about CONVICTED CHILD MOLESTER CAUGHT MOLESTING AGAIN. WHY WASN'T HE STOPPED? Things like that are what the system is trying to prevent.


Treating Registered Sex Offenders as pariahs even after they've served their sentence will only widen the cracks into gaping potholes.

That the 'sex offender' classification needs to be looked at seriously is not in dispute. There are some cases where the blanket don't fit, such as the one case here in Georgia where the 19 year old kid was convicted of rape and is listed as a sex offender because he was having oral sex with his 17 year old girlfriend. Even the girls parents agree that it was a stupid ruling. But these cases are the exception, not the rule, and are an argument in favor of getting rid of the, as I said before, blanket "one size fits all" system. Not everybody placed on the sex offenders list belongs there. They are the exceptions. Most on the list do belong there, and all the sympathy I see here is entirely misplaced as far as those folk are concerned.


As that one man in the linked article said, nobody ever lost votes being tough on sex crimes. The converse is true. Trying to legislate sense into such a draconian law will only be perceived as being soft on sex crimes or worse, aiding and abetting child molesters and rapists. How many people have actually been elected on the platform of reforming Sex Offender laws rather than maintaining or "strengthening" them?

If you don't like the idea of stupid things like peeing in the park being labeled as 'sex offender', then work to get it off the list, don't use it as an excuse to excuse those who do belong there.


Nice strawman. Where did I excuse the behavior of actual child molesters and rapists? Again as others pointed out, treating Registered Sex Offenders as pariahs even when sentence has been served will only aggravate the problem by pushing them to drop off the social radar or even not registering in the first place.
Last edited by Gauthier on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

User avatar
Derscon
Minister
 
Posts: 2994
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Miami's tent city for sex offenders

Postby Derscon » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:30 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Allanea wrote:If he's a rapist, then obviously rape is wrong. But then it'd be wrong if she were 116, too, right?

If he's not a rapist, then he's not a rapist.


It is true that the laws of various states differ, but most don't distinquish between rapists and "it was just rape 'cuz she was a youngin."

Regardless, if he didn't use violence, would it be OK if his victim were 6?


It might be. Sex isn't abuse. It's not harmful unless it's not consented to, at which case it becomes rape. Rape, however, is not the issue.

The simple fact of the matter is that the only thing traumatizing children when they have sexual contact with an adult is the people telling the child that something they enjoyed is wrong and that they're supposed to be damaged, plus the demonization of someone that they liked and trusted.

Therefore I challenge that it is not the "sex offender" that is harming the children, but you.
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10904
Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: Miami's tent city for sex offenders

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:40 pm

Derscon wrote:It might be. Sex isn't abuse. It's not harmful unless it's not consented to, at which case it becomes rape. Rape, however, is not the issue.

The simple fact of the matter is that the only thing traumatizing children when they have sexual contact with an adult is the people telling the child that something they enjoyed is wrong and that they're supposed to be damaged, plus the demonization of someone that they liked and trusted.

Therefore I challenge that it is not the "sex offender" that is harming the children, but you.


That is one of the sickest things I have ever read. Up there with defending the Holocaust.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

User avatar
The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5548
Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Miami's tent city for sex offenders

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:55 pm

Derscon wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:It is true that the laws of various states differ, but most don't distinquish between rapists and "it was just rape 'cuz she was a youngin."

Regardless, if he didn't use violence, would it be OK if his victim were 6?


It might be. Sex isn't abuse. It's not harmful unless it's not consented to, at which case it becomes rape. Rape, however, is not the issue.

The simple fact of the matter is that the only thing traumatizing children when they have sexual contact with an adult is the people telling the child that something they enjoyed is wrong and that they're supposed to be damaged, plus the demonization of someone that they liked and trusted.

Therefore I challenge that it is not the "sex offender" that is harming the children, but you.


Assuming you are neither trolling nor simply depraved beyond reason, you must have some evidence -- published research, for example -- to back up this "challenge" to not only my own personal experience and the collective wisdom of practically everyone who has thought about the subject that isn't a pedophile, but also the consensus of experts in the relevant subjects.
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

User avatar
Grays Harbor
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 18047
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Re: Miami's tent city for sex offenders

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:59 pm

Derscon wrote:

It might be. Sex isn't abuse. It's not harmful unless it's not consented to, at which case it becomes rape. Rape, however, is not the issue.

The simple fact of the matter is that the only thing traumatizing children when they have sexual contact with an adult is the people telling the child that something they enjoyed is wrong and that they're supposed to be damaged, plus the demonization of someone that they liked and trusted.

Therefore I challenge that it is not the "sex offender" that is harming the children, but you.


:palm:

I think half someones brain is missing.
I am The Grumpy Old Man. Wielder of the Cane of Righteousness. Possessor of the Grill of Ribs. Aficionado of the Salad of Potatoes. Sprayer of the Repellant of Mosquitoes.

And, oh yeah, ... You kids get off my lawn. Seriously. Off. Now.

User avatar
Phenia
Senator
 
Posts: 3809
Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Miami's tent city for sex offenders

Postby Phenia » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:11 pm

Derscon wrote:The simple fact of the matter is that the only thing traumatizing children when they have sexual contact with an adult is the people telling the child that something they enjoyed is wrong and that they're supposed to be damaged, plus the demonization of someone that they liked and trusted.

Therefore I challenge that it is not the "sex offender" that is harming the children, but you.


Ah, the 'children enjoy it, so it's not child rape' argument. How challenging.

So many sexual predators spew this exact same justification myth, that their victims "enjoyed" it. But I guess that's why you chose to troll with it, because you know how much it angers people who make the mistake of thinking you're less than 100% bullshit.

User avatar
Derscon
Minister
 
Posts: 2994
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Miami's tent city for sex offenders

Postby Derscon » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:45 pm

Phenia wrote:
Derscon wrote:The simple fact of the matter is that the only thing traumatizing children when they have sexual contact with an adult is the people telling the child that something they enjoyed is wrong and that they're supposed to be damaged, plus the demonization of someone that they liked and trusted.

Therefore I challenge that it is not the "sex offender" that is harming the children, but you.


Ah, the 'children enjoy it, so it's not child rape' argument. How challenging.

So many sexual predators spew this exact same justification myth, that their victims "enjoyed" it. But I guess that's why you chose to troll with it, because you know how much it angers people who make the mistake of thinking you're less than 100% bullshit.


Your clearly emotional argument conditioned into you, as if children enjoying sexual pleasure is some sort of pathology, is clouding your ability to see reason. This isn't surprising, what with the hyperbole and propaganda (admittedly, on all sides) spewed forth. Experiencing sexual pleasure is not a pathology in a child, and a child desiring or being curious about it is not "bad" or dangerous. It is healthy, and quite frankly, should be encouraged. The fact is, a healthy, compassionate, and encouraging attitude towards sexual/sensual education (and I don't mean formal classes, either) - one that doesn't force them into thinking that sexual pleasure is wrong for them to experience - will create far more responsible children.

Am I saying that there is no abuse? Of course not. But rape is rape no matter what age it is, and ages don't make rape any less abhorrent. Alas, rape is not the issue here. What is the issue is that we seem to think that children either cannot or should not be able to enjoy sexual pleasure, which is not only not true, but extremely dangerous. I don't have a link on hand, but I know Bruce Rind of Temple published a study in the APA's Psychological Bulletin back in...1997 I think? Or 98, I don't remember...basically saying that - surprise - not all minors say that the sexual experience is traumatizing. And frankly, what would you be more traumatized at: having an orgasm, or having your parents freak the fuck out at a level unheard of?

Do we label that all sex with 18 year old girls is rape? All 21 year olds? ALL 16 year olds? No, of course not, and I say we shouldn't label that ALL - that EVERY SINGLE CASE - of a child experiencing sexual/sensual stimulation is abuse/rape. Now, in the case of the forty-year-old and the six year old, is it likely that there is some sort of coercion/abuse? I would say yes, but likely =/= definitely.

Again, I don't mean in any way to diminish the tragedy and emotional destruction that sexual abuse causes, but at the same time, I must urge caution in this unthought conditioned response to go on a beserking rage any time "sex" and "child" are mentioned in the same sentence.
Last edited by Derscon on Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

User avatar
Pope Joan
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19503
Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Miami's tent city for sex offenders

Postby Pope Joan » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:04 pm

Our friend's family has nowhere to live.

The mom is a hard worker and a good provider. The kids have never been in trouble.

The dad propositioned the sexy 16 year old baby sitter.

So now he is a convicted pervert and none of the family can live within a mile of a school or a church.

They all love dad and do not want to be separated from him.

So now they all get to live as pariahs, separated from any kind of society, while he searches for employers who are willing to hire "scum'" like him.

Remember, the guys who passed these laws were abusing interns and playing footsie in airport restrooms.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: An Alan Smithee Nation, Blargoblarg, Bluelight-R006, Democratic Communist Federation, East Ustya, Exabot [Bot], Fartsniffage, Infected Mushroom, Jack Thomas Lang, Kowani, Laniron, Loben The 2nd, New Bremerton, North German Realm, Oceara, Ostroeuropa, The Apollus, The Blaatschapen, The Holy Therns, Valeya, Varaland, Vassenor, Walkerfort

Advertisement

Remove ads