NATION

PASSWORD

The Silaran Evening Telegraph

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
Silar
Diplomat

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Silar » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:07 pm

The Silaran Evening Telegraph is a widely circulated independant news source in Silar. Established in 1920 by Mr. Andrew McLonell, one of Silar's foremost journalists, in an attempt to provide the nation with an unbiased, reliable, independant news source, the Evening Telegraph moved to fast prominence.

With over 1 million daily weekday issues and more than 2 million Sunday issues in circulation every day, the Evening Telegraph is Silar's most popular print news paper and reports on a variety of issues which hold note to Silaran citizens.
His Royal and Serene Majesty Pius Alartho, By God's Grace, High King of Silar and its Commonwealth, Defender and Protector of the Holy and Catholic Faith
Embassy Program - Factbook - King Georges Alban International Airport - The Silaran Evening Telegraph - Silaran Public Affairs Network
A Catholic nation? Why not join the Catholic Church?! - Silar is Prefect of the CDF
A Christian Nation (Catholic or no)? Why not join the Grand Inter-Denominational Christian Alliance?! - Silar is a member state

Silar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Silar » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:08 pm

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Navy Signs over 45 billion SC in New Defense Contracts

In a press conference last evening, First Lord Admiral Allan Lyford of the Royal Silaran Navy announced, on behalf of the Ministry of War, that his office had finalized over 45 billion Silaran Crowns worth of military acquisition contracts for the Navy. These contracts come as a result of recent directives from High Parliament which have asked the Royal Chancery to increase its military spending in order to modernize the military forces, most specifically the Navy. This directive came as a shock as its primary supporters were from the Silaran Monarchist Party, the foremost champions of Silar's diplomacy stressing foreign and defense policies which for years have severely reigned in Silaran military spending and greatly decreased the size of the armed forces. This directive was also a major point of support for the Throne and its introduction and passing have been tied to aggressive support by His Royal and Serene Majesty, King Pius Alartho.

"While we still stand by our policies of the use of diplomacy as the primary form of conflict resolution, we believe that our military, especually our Navy, requires modern technology to operate effectively and support Silar's interest abroad." Prince Sebastian Alartho, a Captain in the Silaran Navy and Aide-de-Camp to the King of Silar said in a statement to the Evening Telegraph on behalf of HRSM, "The Navy is in the unique position that it has a presence far beyond the borders and national waters of our nation. Unlike the Army and Air Force, it is the first to respond to most crises and is the primary form by which Silar executes humanitarian and other non-military missions abroad. The need for modern ships and aircraft is absolute. My father and myself are pleased that High Parliament has recognized that and that the Navy has been as successful as it has been in executing the directive."

The Ministry of War has not yet released specifics on the purchases but is expected to sometime in the near future. However, the general contract bids specify purchase of a variety of vessels, including an aircraft carrier and battleship, as well as new aircraft for use on naval vessels.
Last edited by Silar on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
His Royal and Serene Majesty Pius Alartho, By God's Grace, High King of Silar and its Commonwealth, Defender and Protector of the Holy and Catholic Faith
Embassy Program - Factbook - King Georges Alban International Airport - The Silaran Evening Telegraph - Silaran Public Affairs Network
A Catholic nation? Why not join the Catholic Church?! - Silar is Prefect of the CDF
A Christian Nation (Catholic or no)? Why not join the Grand Inter-Denominational Christian Alliance?! - Silar is a member state

Silar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Silar » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:12 pm

Monday, December 10, 2012

Silar Dedicates Military Forces to Peacekeeping in Konstantinople

Earlier this week, the Ministry of War announced that it had sent military forces to the nation of Konstantinople on peacekeeping mission in the midst of the nations recent civil war. According to a press release by the Ministry, the decision to dedicate these forces came after exhausted attempts to find peaceful resolution to the conflict. Civil war struck Konstaninople after an announcement by Alexios Kondrashka Nikolaidis the Emperor of Konstaninople was revealed to be in a homosexual relationship a Captain Kirill Alexei Dmitriev. The revelation, long rumored to be true, shocked more conservative Orthodox Christians in the nation and caused for a split in the Konstaninople Senate and later the secession of a rebel group from Konstaninople.

Silar's involvement in the conflict has remained neutral in the midst of the highly religious undertones. Cardinal Recker, the Patriarch of Silar, is rumored to have personally brought this matter to the attention of the government. His office replied to the Telegraph to state that His Eminence is always distressed at the use of religion as a justification for violence and while he does not agree with the Emperor's choices, he does not believe violent rebellion is the appropriate response.

The Royal Silaran Army and Navy have both diverted troops into the Konstaninople war zone recently though there is no news of specific actions by the military forces yet. The Ministry of War has been firm in stating it believes this is a correct use of military forces, stating that it believes the defense of innocents and the upholding of international law is a cause worth dying for. It has also affirmed that it will not be taking any sides in the conflict and will be avoiding active combat as readily as it may.

His Royal and Serene Majesty to make a State Visit to the Kingdom of Rome

His Royal and Serene Majesty's Household in conjunction with the Ministry for Foreign and Regional Affairs has announced that King Pius Alartho will be making a state visit to the Kingdom of Rome sometime in the next week or two accompanied by members of the Royal Family in addition to a delegation of government ministers including the Minister of Foreign and Regional Affairs, Lady Agnes Nicks, and the Patriarch of Silar. Joining them will be a reporter from the Silaran Evening Telegraph.

Few specifics have been announced as of yet and the Royal Household has not yet commented on the event, simply referring to its most recent announcement and promising details as they become available.
Last edited by Silar on Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Silar » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:23 pm

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Silar sends a Football Squad to Compete in the Baptism of Fire Tournament in Apox

The Silar Football Association (SFA) announced that it would be, for the first time, fielding a national football team for the Baptism of Fire in Apox and the World Cup later this year. The team, nicknamed "The Chevaliers", will feature many famous rising stars in Silaran Club Football including Luther Lewis, striker for the Mapleburough Football Club, who will be the Silar National Team's starting striker.

"We are really excited to bring Silaran football into the world stage," said Sir Archibald Dent of Camen United Football Club, the Silaran National Team's manager and head coach, "there are some pretty amazing teams out there but that doesn't mean that if we work hard, apply a little devotion, and unite as a team, that we can't fare alright." When asked if Silar would be bringing back the trophy for the Baptism of Fire, Sir Dent responded with a simple, "We'll see."

Below, you will find the official roster and schedule for the Baptism of Fire Squad.

Position: Name-Number (Age)
*denotes starter

Manger: Archibald Dent-AD (58)
Assistant: Max Bellerd-MB (46)

*Keeper: Alric Pope-#1 (30)
Keeper: Magnus Webster-#12 (25)

*Left Defense: Abner Roberts-#2 (30)
Left Defense: Wilbur Bell-#13 (27)
*Center Defense: Brian Wood-#3 (27)
*Center Defense: Wesley Walker-#4 (28)
Center Defense: Arthur Turner-#14 (28)
Center Defense: Victor Clark-#15 (27)
*Right Defense: Enoch Carter-#5 (29)
Right Defense: Vincent Windor-#16 (27)

*Center MF: Cyril Barnes-#6 (32)
Center MF: Oliver Harrison-#17 (30)
*Left MF: Ambrose Bishop-#7 (28)
Left MF: Nathaniel Bent-#18 (26)
*Right MF: Dominic Willinson-#8 (27)
Right MF: Miles Holmes-#19 (29)

*Wing: Cuthbert Wight-#9 (27)
*Wing: Eugene Noble-#10 (30)
Wing: Norman King-#20 (31)
Wing: Floyd Allen-#21 (31)
*Striker: Luther Lewis-#11 (28)
Striker: Errol Patel-#22 (30)

December 16 (MD1): Argo Islands v. Silar
December 17 (MD2): Silar v. The Inevitable Syndicate
December 18 (MD3): Mazion v. Silar
December 19 (MD4): No game
December 20 (MD5): Silar v. Sarzanestan
Last edited by Silar on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Silar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Silar » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:43 pm

(Originally posted on the Baptism of Fire thread as a sports RP)

Monday, December 17, 2012

Football Fever Strikes in Silar as the Baptism of Fire Heats Up

APOX --- Silar emerged from a tense match against the Inevitable Syndicate at the Baptism of Fire today in the second day of the international football tournament. The squad played both offense and defense well and after a goal-less first half, was able to prove the better of their Syndicatan opponents and slip a goal in to the thunderous applause of the Silaran fans who have followed the team all the way to Apox for their game.

This second win by the Silaran national squad is beginning to turn heads even outside the Silaran football scene. At a session of the Royal Court today, His Royal and Serene Majesty even made his share of comments on the game.

I am sure I speak for all of you when I say we are pleased to be seeing Silar's national team doing so well at that tournament.. Baptism of Fire, don't they call it? *chuckle* Anyways, I admit I'm don't follow football as much as I probably should. I mean, I enjoy a game now and then as much as the next guy.. and I follow the Demense FC from time to time, yes. Anyways, I don't think any of us were expecting such results on the field as our boys have been proving out there. My regards to Sir Dent, that's the manager, right? Anyways, my regards to him. Tell him if he wins, I might just have to look into freeing up a peerage for him. *laughs*

Adding to the comments was the Lord Chancellor Thomas Call,

Oh, I love football.. My daughter plays, not at the professional level of course, just recreationally, but we all love the game. I've been pushing for this for a while.. it gets us out and involved with the sport all over the world. Its especially exciting to see how well the squad's been doing.

The Minister of Foreign and Regional Affairs Lady Agnes Nicks, who spoke recently at a high school sports championship in Camen City,

Sports have an important place in our international world. The fun of the game can draw people together in ways other things just can't... I'm sure many of you can attest to it. In international sport in general, we have a chance to show who we are to the world in a way far more informal and friendly than across negotiation tables and on battlefields. Just look at the Cheveliers at the Baptism of Fire... an excellent commentary on Silaran culture if I ever saw one! *laughs*

And our personal favorite here at the Silaran Evening Telegraph, the Prince of Wenten's Rifle Brigade.

An image is shown here of a group of Silaran Army members in the blue and grey digi-camo working fatigues of the Silaran military is gathered around a humvee holding a big black sign reading "For King and Country! Go Chevaliers!"

In response to the hype, Sir Archibald Dent, the manager of the national squad, made his own statements.

We are having an amazing time here in Apox.. We've a great record so far and have gotten past one of the more difficult teams here in our group. But, as I told the team after the game again, we can't get too settled yet. There's more than a couple really good squads out here today. The team's worked really hard these first two matches. If they keep it up, the sky's really the limit. I'm really proud of the lot. Really proud. And before any of you ask whether I expect to come home witht he trophy, the answer's the same as before: we'll see. Let's not get too cocky..

And the Silaran Evening Telegraph also got its own interview with Luther Lewis, the rising star and highest scorer on the team.

I am really excited to be out here for this, no matter how it turns out, no matter what happens, its been a wild ride. No regrets. *laugh* Everyone on the team's been giving their all and it shows. Its a whole different game out here, but Silarans are a resilient lot. I think we've at least proven we can hold our own on the international field just as well as we can on the domestic.

The Chevaliers will be playing again in Apox against Mazion. Hopes are high and the pressure's on.. One thing is for sure, all of Silar is beginning to turn and watch the events unfolding in Apox.

Silar Baptism of Fire Schedule
December 16 (MD1): Argo Islands 0 - 4 Silar
December 17 (MD2): Silar 1 - 0 The Inevitable Syndicate
December 18 (MD3): Mazion v. Silar
December 19 (MD4): No game
December 20 (MD5): Silar v. Sarzanestan

Silar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Silar » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:35 pm

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Silar National Football Team Progresses to Next Stage of Baptism of Fire

APOX --- The Chevaliers, Silar's national football squad, finished their final match of the Baptism of Fire's first round, beating their opponents Sarzanestan 3-0. They will be progressing to the second round of the tournament, playing a match against the Darknesssssss on December 22nd in Apox.

The Silaran team has been extremely successful so far, managing to block out all opposing teams from scoring and accumulating a total of 11 goals over three games so far. They have remained at the top of their group since their first match and have remained there the entire round, finishing as the winner of group 8. The team has featured several stars including Luther Lewis, a striker from Mapleburough FC who has scored the majority of goals so far, including two this match, and Abner Roberts of Camen United FC, whose leadership has widely been credited for Silar's defensive record.

Excitment has surrounded the win and the team's progression including a call from His Royal and Serene Majesty yesterday once it was determined that the Chevaliers would be progressing. "Needless to say, we are excited about the progression," said Sir Archibald Dent, the team's manager, "These next matches will prove to be challenges for us, but they are challenges were are more than willing to face. Regardless of what happens over the next few days, we are happy we have had the chance to compete not only at the preliminary levels, but now at the higher stages. We are grateful and honored for the support we have recieved from all the fans in Silar and we ask for your continued prayers and support."

No Nation                    Pld    W   D   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Silar 4 4 0 0 11 0 +11 12 Q
2 The Inevitable Syndicate 4 2 1 1 8 4 +4 7 Q
3 Argo Islands 4 1 1 2 6 8 −2 4
4 Sarzanestan 4 1 1 2 5 9 −4 4
5 Mazion 4 0 1 3 2 11 −9 1

His Royal and Serene Majesty's State Visit to the Kingdom of Rome Going Successfully

ROME --- His Royal and Serene Majesty King Pius Alartho and his delegation arrived safely in th Kingdom of Rome earlier this week. He, Princess Carrie, and Prince Albert have been enjoying the company of the Royal Family of Rome. They have been enjoying the scenery of Rome and have described their time as restful, constructive, and enjoyable.

Legislative Agendas Brought to Light for Next Year's Session of High Parliament

SILAR DEMESNE --- In a joint meeting in Silar Demesne today, Their Graces Sir Alban More and Dame Alice Cramer announced those bills that were being planned to be brought to High Parliament when they reconvened for the 2013 session in January.

Among the proposed legislation are bills that would establish drug and mental health courts, outlaw the use of drones for military strikes, increase the authority of Sovereignities in the affairs of their Justiciaries, the establishment of a special appeals Justiciary, clarification and regulation surrounding civil commitment of the mentally ill, and the greater transfer of government charity activities to deputized private organizations.

Many of these bills are contentious and will prove to provide much debate once they are officially brought to the floor of the High Parliament. His Royal and Serene Majesty sent a reply from the Kingdom of Rome, where he is on state visit, and noted his endorsement for the establishment of drug and mental health courts as well as that of a special appeals Justiciary, as well as the outlaw of drones for military strikes. He noted his disapproval of increased Sovereignity authority.

Silar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Silar » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:26 pm

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Scandal Breaks at Royal Football and Rugby Association

Following accusations published in a Darmeni newssource that Silar had fielded a football team in not only the most recent Baptism of Fire, but a prior tournament and World Cup in violation of WCC regulations, the Royal Football and Rugby Association of Silar (RFRAS) made a quick retreat and acknowledged, granted in part, guilt in the matter. According to a press release from the Association, a team was fielded for World Cup 53 and its corresponding Baptism of Fire. However, the Association claims it has no record of authorizing the team. It will, however, take responsibility for the team and has forfeited the stats earned at the most recent Baptism of Fire. The RFRAS claimed it would be investigating the matter with the Ministry for Justice and Order. A confidential source from the Office of the Inspector General, however, told the Telegraph that an Independent investigation is planned by the Office to uncover the full truth of the RFRAS' involvement in the scandal. The Telegraph's calls to the RFRAS and its President, Lord Eric Balding, have not been returned and the Association has made no comment.

According to the Darmeni report, the second entry was expedited by a spelling error by the Baptism of Fire, inserting an extra "l" and changing "Silar" to "Sillar." The Silar team, under their misspelled national name, supposedly played a significant role in World Cup 53, though finishing third in their group at the Baptism of Fire. This year's team, on the other hand, made it to the quarter-finals with a perfect record before being bumped by Secundus Kasius in extra time following a draw. The honors and statistics from this most recent Baptism of Fire have been forfeited by the RFRAS and have been purged form the Silaran team's records by the WCC.

"Personally, I'm rather disappointed," said Luther Lewis, Striker for the Chevaliers, "We, the whole team, put our hearts and souls into the Baptism of Fire and now we find that some unknown group had already competed behind our backs.. its a slap in the face. I hope whoever is responsible is found and punished accordingly. For now, though, I will just be doing my job of making this the best fir- I mean second World Cup Silar can have."
Last edited by Silar on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information