NATION

PASSWORD

He's good looking...but I'm not gay...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Men: can you objectively judge another man's looks?

Sure, if they're good looking, good for them!
64%
UGH no...I'm not gay!
10%
Indifferent
17%
Tom Jones
9%

Total votes : 219

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

He's good looking...but I'm not gay...

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:08 am

A guy: I'm not gay but he isn't bad looking.

I find it interesting when I see that certain men feel the need to put a glaring disclaimer of "I'm not gay" when discussing another man's looks. You'd think in this day and age that people would be able to move past such insecurities, but obviously it's still a very prevalent in society.

So, fellow men who happen to be straight: do you feel insecure if asked to comment on another guy's looks? Or do you worry frantically if you see a decent looking fellow and think, "Hey he's pretty good looking"? I myself couldn't care less, and if they have a good fashion sense and take care of themselves: more power to them!

What sayest you? All opinions from across the sexual spectrum of course, welcome!
Last edited by Lancaster of Wessex on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

Krjder
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Krjder » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:11 am

I'm not sure what I am, really. My best friend is very handsome. People say I'm good looking but for some reason I feel like slapping them for that.
Be polite, write diplomatically; even in a declaration of war one observes the rules of politeness.
-Otto Von Bismarck
Embassy App

Nation Type: Direct Democratic Federal Monarchy
Capital: Aastejk
Population: 480,670,500
Current Leadership:
-Emperor Anton IV
-Realm Chancellor Atsūjiri Gyēzashiri
Military:
-1,560,000 Active
-4,750,000 Reserves
Dutch teen, Roman Catholic, socially conservative, economically libertarian. Enjoys; hunting, classical & march music, history and debating.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:11 am

No. My advice on this, though, rarely matters.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:11 am

People look at animals, paintings, kids, etc. and comment on how cute/beautiful they are.
So i'm guessing yeh, obviously.
(I'm bi so i have no first hand experience.)
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:13 am

As a woman human being, I think this is a stupid question.
You can't spell scat fetish without catfish.
Mollary wrote:Hate and alcohol can unite most people.

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

New Maldorainia wrote:Dissy likes touching my walruses.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
Funniest shit on this shite
fakbuk and other random shit
PC:
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
PS:
Right: 1.45
Libertarian: 6.22
Non-interventionist: 5.82
Cultural liberal: 2.23
PT:
democratic National Liberal
In a more sane world I'd be a moderate Republican.

Eirenia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Eirenia » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:13 am

what?! the way you talk...it's almost like...it's not a bad thing to be gay?! woah,,,,,

I view it as the sad lamenting of people not lucky enough to be queer. Or an indicator of societal homophobia. Pick your favorite.
look i have views and opinions
radical queer, feminist, liberal, agnostic non-practicing jew, american
she/her/hers pronouns
Economic Left/Right: -6.88, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15
cosmopolitan social democrat
yes to: pro-choice, right to die, comprehensive sex education, social security/welfare, affirmative action, animal welfare, evolution, sex positivity, body positivity, queer rights in any form
no to: assimilationism, death penalty, pro-lifers, religious fundamentalism, abstinence-only, drone warfare, war on terror, corporate greed, censorship, TSA, anyone who calls herself/himself an "ally"
fence-sitting: israel/palestine, electoral college, gun control, capitalism, probably other things

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:14 am

"Dude, your sister looks really good... but I'm not straight or anything!"
See how ridiculous it sounds on the reverse?
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:19 am

Disserbia wrote:As a woman human being, I think this is a stupid question.

Why is it a stupid question?

Given the post I quoted in the op, I think it's a relevant question to see how prevalent this line of thinking is, at least here on NSG (for those who participate). It's a sign of attitudes and biases or lack thereof.
Lancaster.

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:19 am

You're a beautiful beautiful man, and I'd like to make sweet love to you under the moonlight.

No homo.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:19 am

Neo Art wrote:You're a beautiful beautiful man, and I'd like to make sweet love to you under the moonlight.

No homo.

All of the homo!
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:20 am

men are supposed to want to fuck anyone who they find good looking. so if you find a man to be good looking you must want to fuck him. if you want to fuck a man you are gay. quelle horreur!

*shrug*
whatever

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:20 am

I love carrots.
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME TG's. MODERATORS READ YOUR TG's WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Flowers Call me Rubi for short or Vonners

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:21 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Neo Art wrote:You're a beautiful beautiful man, and I'd like to make sweet love to you under the moonlight.

No homo.

All of the homo!

That...um...that actually works on multiple levels.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:22 am

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f wrote:I love carrots.

Your vote should be for the "Tom Jones" option then. :D
Lancaster.

GHawkins
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby GHawkins » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:25 am

I'll be honest, I can't objectively judge a man's looks. Exception is of course clothes, like last week my friend showed up in suit. Nothing wrong with a "Looking good!" then, but... I just feel uncomfortable commenting on another guy's looks.

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:27 am

GHawkins wrote:I'll be honest, I can't objectively judge a man's looks. Exception is of course clothes, like last week my friend showed up in suit. Nothing wrong with a "Looking good!" then, but... I just feel uncomfortable commenting on another guy's looks.

And that's what the gist of this whole op is...what makes you uncomfortable, per se?
Lancaster.

GHawkins
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby GHawkins » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:32 am

Well. I think for a start it's that I don't look at guys in that particular way. I mean, I know from myself that when I see a girl or something, I judge her appearance. I look at how she herself looks, her clothes, and things It's just a standard thing that I look how she looks. But with guys, I go right through that. Clothes maybe but not really the person itself. It's just something that's not in my system. And I think that that makes it uncomfortable.

Stychia
Envoy

Founded: Dec 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Stychia » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:33 am

I don't recall the last last time I thought a man is handsome. Sometimes I see a woman, an ordinary person off the street and I think some certain aspect of them is beautiful. It's often something completely arbitrary and random, like their cheek bones or their hands etc. Once I saw a girl without hair and with a certain fire in her eyes, it was beautiful too. I think people are trying too hard to be mainstream handsome, and at the risk of sounding like a hipster the most beautiful are those who don't fulfill the modern standards of beauty.

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:38 am

Stychia wrote:I don't recall the last last time I thought a man is handsome. Sometimes I see a woman, an ordinary person off the street and I think some certain aspect of them is beautiful. It's often something completely arbitrary and random, like their cheek bones or their hands etc. Once I saw a girl without hair and with a certain fire in her eyes, it was beautiful too. I think people are trying too hard to be mainstream handsome, and at the risk of sounding like a hipster the most beautiful are those who don't fulfill the modern standards of beauty.

I respect your judgment and hey, if you have a more "unique" view of what you consider beauty, I think that's great...it's such an objective, personal thing.
Lancaster.

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:39 am

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:
Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f wrote:I love carrots.

Your vote should be for the "Tom Jones" option then. :D

This cannot be denied! :lol:
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME TG's. MODERATORS READ YOUR TG's WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Flowers Call me Rubi for short or Vonners

Call to power
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Call to power » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:40 am

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:So, fellow men who happen to be straight: do you feel insecure if asked to comment on another guy's looks?

If I am directly calling a man sexy, then yes I may feel the need to put clarification. Looking sharp is okay but calling a guy a hot young stud who needs to be chained to my radiator all weekend might well do with a clarification unless you want things to get awkward.

This is all a bit smug of course. I think it is just generally something that is said without thinking as if calling a friend of any gender sexy is not an inherently awkward thing. It should also be added that I now feel the need to cat-call on Lancaster of Wessex whenever he posts.

Zottistan wrote:"Dude, your sister looks really good... but I'm not straight or anything!"
See how ridiculous it sounds on the reverse?

Generally speaking, commenting to a guy that you wouldn't mind a go on his little sister is a bit of a fax-pas. It might do well to add clarification as he picks her up from the nursery.
Last edited by Call to power on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Parkus Empire wrote:Theoretically, why would anyone put anytime into anything but tobacco, intoxicants and sex?

Vareiln wrote:My god, CtP is right...
Not that you haven't been right before, but... Aw, hell, you get what I meant.

Tubbsalot wrote:replace my opinions with CtP's.

Smartass alcoholics
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Smartass alcoholics » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:43 am

I've met quite a few handsome guys, and yet im self-conscious enough to always feel the need to add "Not gay, but..." xD
Nation RP details: United Dominion of Caustancia
Leader: Ketsueki Maru
Current RPing military officials:
-Captain Nile Skorge
-Commander Connor Jakoby
-Warrant Officer Selena Polaski

"When life gives you lemons, ask it for lemonade instead"

Eirenia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Eirenia » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:44 am

Smartass alcoholics wrote:I've met quite a few handsome guys, and yet im self-conscious enough to always feel the need to add "Not gay, but..." xD

Because, of course, it would be terrible for anyone to believe you might be interested in men.
look i have views and opinions
radical queer, feminist, liberal, agnostic non-practicing jew, american
she/her/hers pronouns
Economic Left/Right: -6.88, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15
cosmopolitan social democrat
yes to: pro-choice, right to die, comprehensive sex education, social security/welfare, affirmative action, animal welfare, evolution, sex positivity, body positivity, queer rights in any form
no to: assimilationism, death penalty, pro-lifers, religious fundamentalism, abstinence-only, drone warfare, war on terror, corporate greed, censorship, TSA, anyone who calls herself/himself an "ally"
fence-sitting: israel/palestine, electoral college, gun control, capitalism, probably other things

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:44 am

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:Inspired by this post, and the part that is bolded...

Dogapus wrote:Altough China named him Sexiest Man Alive, i'm not gay but he isn't that bad looking

...I always laugh when I see that certain men feel the need to put a glaring disclaimer of "I'm not gay" when discussing another man's looks. You'd think in this day and age that people would be able to move past such insecurities, but obviously it's still a very prevalent in society.

So, fellow men who happen to be straight: do you feel insecure if asked to comment on another guy's looks? Or do you worry frantically if you see a decent looking fellow and think, "Hey he's pretty good looking"? I myself couldn't care less, and if they have a good fashion sense and take care of themselves: more power to them!

What sayest you? All opinions from across the sexual spectrum of course, welcome!

People still think gender is for adults too, it's kind of funny to see the immature sexuality stuff that remains so prevalent in modern society.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:45 am

Call to power wrote:
Lancaster of Wessex wrote:So, fellow men who happen to be straight: do you feel insecure if asked to comment on another guy's looks?

If I am directly calling a man sexy, then yes I may feel the need to put clarification. Looking sharp is okay but calling a guy a hot young stud who needs to be chained to my radiator all weekend might well do with a clarification unless you want things to get awkward.

This is all a bit smug of course. I think it is just generally something that is said without thinking as if calling a friend of any gender sexy is not an inherently awkward thing. It should also be added that I now feel the need to cat-call on Lancaster of Wessex whenever he posts.

I concur that there is a difference between thinking another fellow gentleman is good looking or well dressed, vis-a-vis the late-night-11PM description you followed up with afterwards.

And thank you; must be the cologne. :D
Lancaster.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General