NATION

PASSWORD

American Catholics(both libreal and conservative) disobey...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Spiritus Sancti
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Spiritus Sancti » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:12 pm

I am going to end this topic(for myself) because all it has end up with is trolling and I don't have the time for that. Have you good day everyone.

Silent Majority
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Silent Majority » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:13 pm

The level of obedience you expect people to have to their church is quite frankly, medieval.
“It is the ultimate irony of history that radical individualism serves as the ideological justification of the unconstrained power of what the large majority of individuals experience as a vast anonymous power, which, without any democratic public control, regulates their lives.”
― Slavoj Žižek

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:13 pm

Spiritus Sancti wrote:I am going to end this topic(for myself) because all it has end up with is trolling and I don't have the time for that. Have you good day everyone.

Why are religious people so passive aggressive? Like, why can't they just go out and say "you stupid motherfuckers disagree with me!" Being passive aggressive doesn't make it better.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Spiritus Sancti
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Spiritus Sancti » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:14 pm

Eirenia wrote:
Spiritus Sancti wrote:
Well, I was almost aborted, that is a fact. My mother is a drug addicted and mentally ill(and she still is). She took heavy drugs when I was her "fetus"(as I hypothesize what you would call it.) She was so mentally ill that she attacked my Grandmother(her mother) right in-front of me when I was seven years old.

uh, okay? I also had a full-blooded sibling who was aborted, for the same medical issue that complicated my mother's pregnancy with me. It's not a trump card and also the rest of your post still had nothing to do with abortion. :?

I will answer this. I was not talking about abortion. That was not the point of my post!!

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:14 pm

Silent Majority wrote:The level of obedience you expect people to have to their church is quite frankly, medieval.

I said the same thing, but I get called a troll. The world is so unfair...
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Spiritus Sancti
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Spiritus Sancti » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:15 pm

Norstal wrote:
Spiritus Sancti wrote:I am going to end this topic(for myself) because all it has end up with is trolling and I don't have the time for that. Have you good day everyone.

Why are religious people so passive aggressive? Like, why can't they just go out and say "you stupid motherfuckers disagree with me!" Being passive aggressive doesn't make it better.

No, it's the smart ass trolling that I don't have time for.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:16 pm

Spiritus Sancti wrote:
Norstal wrote:Why are religious people so passive aggressive? Like, why can't they just go out and say "you stupid motherfuckers disagree with me!" Being passive aggressive doesn't make it better.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=201348&hilit=trollnaming

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:16 pm

Spiritus Sancti wrote:
Norstal wrote:Why are religious people so passive aggressive? Like, why can't they just go out and say "you stupid motherfuckers disagree with me!" Being passive aggressive doesn't make it better.

You've not really asked much of a question - why do people say one thing and act another - is effectively what you're asking, if one strips out the whole Catholic Church bit..

..because they do.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:17 pm

EDIT: Supporting OP in wishing the thread never happened.
Last edited by AiliailiA on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Spiritus Sancti
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Spiritus Sancti » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:18 pm

Norstal wrote:
Spiritus Sancti wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=201348&hilit=trollnaming

Okay, and? I just don't have time for it. That is what I saying. Are you saying that I can't say "I don't have time for this"?

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:19 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Spiritus Sancti wrote:

Yep, your trolling proves how mature you are. :clap: It really shows

I suggest you take the word "pro-life" out of the OP.

Nanatsu I think was raised Catholic, but there's lots of atheists and also lots of pro-choice folks on NSG. For many of us, the thoughts that come to mind when hearing the word "catholic" is 1. Rapist priests, 2. Opposition to abortion and contraception, 3. The Pope has a Twitter account.

Indeed, I was raised Catholic and as a former Catholic I do see the Church's policies on contraception and abortion to be, well, prehistoric. I can understand the whole stance on abortion (it's a religion thing), but contraception? Not at all.

There's nothing wrong with being a responsible adult. If you're not ready to be a parent, contraception is the wise choice.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Spiritus Sancti
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Spiritus Sancti » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:20 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Spiritus Sancti wrote:

Yep, your trolling proves how mature you are. :clap: It really shows

Nanatsu I think was raised Catholic, but there's lots of atheists and also lots of pro-choice folks on NSG. For many of us, the thoughts that come to mind when hearing the word "catholic" is 1. Rapist priests, 2. Opposition to abortion and contraception, 3. The Pope has a Twitter account.

I know that, but if a religious person thinks of "Stalin" when they think of "atheist" is wrong. I was one atheist at one point of my life, so I have some idea what the typical young atheists thinks.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:20 pm

Spiritus Sancti wrote:

Okay, and? I just don't have time for it. That is what I saying. Are you saying that I can't say "I don't have time for this"?

So you're telling me you can read the Bible, but you can't read a simple forum post.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:21 pm

EDIT: Supporting OP in wishing the thread never happened.

Now I'll politely ask anyone who replied to me to edit my posts out of their replies, if that's practical. If we leave the thread all hollowed out, there won't be any "suppression of debate" factor standing in the way of a Mod locking it.
Last edited by AiliailiA on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:22 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:

Indeed, I was raised Catholic and as a former Catholic I do see the Church's policies on contraception and abortion to be, well, prehistoric. I can understand the whole stance on abortion (it's a religion thing), but contraception? Not at all.

There's nothing wrong with being a responsible adult. If you're not ready to be a parent, contraception is the wise choice.

Surely one should abstain from even thinking about the opposite sex until properly married.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:23 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Surely one should abstain from even thinking about the opposite sex until properly married.

I imagine young people will need to start wearing cloth sacks over their faces so as not to even look at the opposite sex before marriage.
Slava Ukraini

Spiritus Sancti
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Spiritus Sancti » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:24 pm

Norstal wrote:
Spiritus Sancti wrote:

So you're telling me you can read the Bible, but you can't read a simple forum post.

I don't have time for the smart-ass comments. I came here for debate and discussion, not name calling. I don't want to get into a trolling match. I have much better things I can do, I want to use my month of from college wisely. :)
Last edited by Spiritus Sancti on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:24 pm

And yet the catholic conservatives use the figures of members to justify bullshit laws.
Well, i'll say it again, moderate and progressive christians are enablers of theocracy.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

The Free and Just Republic of Freedomol
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free and Just Republic of Freedomol » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:25 pm

I'm not going to provide my opinion on abortion, contreception, or any of the non-religious stuff. My primary concern is, if self-identify as a catholic, how can you not believe in transubstansiation. That's the fundamental belief of catholiscism; if you believe everything else the church says, but don't believe in transubstansiation, you are not catholic, you are a protestant.
Returning to a darker shade of grey.
Officially, the centerpoint of my flag is a shooting star. Unofficially, it's a dude getting harrassed by bayonets. Weee, Imperialism!
Note: this nation does not represent my views, and is instead a vehicle for me to wage lots of war.

Eirenia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Eirenia » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:25 pm

Spiritus Sancti wrote:
Eirenia wrote:
uh, okay? I also had a full-blooded sibling who was aborted, for the same medical issue that complicated my mother's pregnancy with me. It's not a trump card and also the rest of your post still had nothing to do with abortion. :?

I will answer this. I was not talking about abortion. That was not the point of my post!!

I'm not sure how "my mother aborted three fetuses" is not talking about abortion...
look i have views and opinions
radical queer, feminist, liberal, agnostic non-practicing jew, american
she/her/hers pronouns
Economic Left/Right: -6.88, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15
cosmopolitan social democrat
yes to: pro-choice, right to die, comprehensive sex education, social security/welfare, affirmative action, animal welfare, evolution, sex positivity, body positivity, queer rights in any form
no to: assimilationism, death penalty, pro-lifers, religious fundamentalism, abstinence-only, drone warfare, war on terror, corporate greed, censorship, TSA, anyone who calls herself/himself an "ally"
fence-sitting: israel/palestine, electoral college, gun control, capitalism, probably other things

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:27 pm

Spiritus Sancti wrote:
Norstal wrote:So you're telling me you can read the Bible, but you can't read a simple forum post.

I don't have time for the smart-ass comments. I came here for debate and discussion, not name calling. I don't want to get into a trolling match. I have much better things I can do, I can't waste, I want to use my month of from college wisely. :)

Excuse me, but I'll be succinct so as not to waste your time, yet I must ask: how is this trolling? Or do you consider people who disagree with you trolls? Because I must tell you, disagreeing is part of the so called debate you said you were interested in having. So far, there hasn't been any of it.

When you're ready to address the disagreeing points, let me know.
Slava Ukraini

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:27 pm

And obedience to a church that systematically covered up child molestation and shuffled off the offending priests to be Someone Else's Problem is good how?
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Spiritus Sancti
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Spiritus Sancti » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:28 pm

Eirenia wrote:
Spiritus Sancti wrote:

I'm not sure how "my mother aborted three fetuses" is not talking about abortion...

If you look at what I said before, that was meant to be preemptive statement for Conservative Catholics that believe I'm a plant, not a topic of debate. Look at my main body of my post, that is what I started this tread for, not four worded "FYI".

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:29 pm

Spiritus Sancti wrote:
Norstal wrote:So you're telling me you can read the Bible, but you can't read a simple forum post.

I don't have time for the smart-ass comments. I came here for debate and discussion, not name calling. I don't want to get into a trolling match. I have much better things I can do, I want to use my month of from college wisely. :)

Indeed?

Complaining about trolling will help speed you along your way as we will gladly slap you with a warning and/or ban if you keep it up. Knock it off.

Also, please be advised that debate and discussion does not entail everyone agreeing with your take on things. If you are expecting nothing but agreement, you have come to the wrong forum.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:30 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

I imagine young people will need to start wearing cloth sacks over their faces so as not to even look at the opposite sex before marriage.

To be removed only in the presence of a qualified priest or nun in a monastery or nunnery respectively - I can see no problems with this.

十年

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General