NATION

PASSWORD

Gun Control: Your Opinion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Verzia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Gun Control: Your Opinion

Postby Verzia » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:54 pm

What is your opinion on gun control?

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:59 pm

Gun control is hitting your target?
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:00 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:Gun control is hitting your target?

She probably has shooting pains just thinking about it.

Verzia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Verzia » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:03 pm

EvilDarkMagicians wrote:

She? I'm a boy!

Krazniastan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Krazniastan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:08 pm

I am against most forms of gun control. A lot of it is unnecessary, unenforceable, or so screwed up its not even funny. . .

I do think you should have safety and basic marksmanship training before purchasing one however. (And I do sell guns, a lot of people don't have the basics. . .)
Everything this great country has was taken, won, preserved or cherished was provided by the rifle and the will to use it.

As for what stage comes next it's usually the "I've got several 5.56mm holes in me" stage. - Wallonochia

Americans and guns are like the British with tea. Its cultural. We don't expect you to like it, understand it, or accept it. We do, however, expect you to respect it.

F1-Insanity
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:10 pm

The higher your accuracy is, the better your gun control is :)
F1-Insanity Factbook
World Bowl XII: Winner
Why yes, I am a progressive and social human being, thanks for asking!
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:
-Total annual income for the Jones family: $21,700
-Amount of money the Jones family spent: $38,200
-Amount of new debt added to the credit card: $16,500
-Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710

-Amount cut from the budget: $385
Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street
Bush's 'faith' was the same political tool as Obama's 'hope'.

Bafuria
Senator

Founded: Dec 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bafuria » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:11 pm

Too late for America to have gun control.
Economic 3.1, Social -4.1

Third Spanish States
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Third Spanish States » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:14 pm

I'd make laws to enforce it strictly, were I a dictator. Together with conscience, it is one of the safeguards against tyranny. Unfortunately most of the world has the former being stamped out through subtle means as masses of alienated people grow. An armed cattle is no different from an unarmed free man.

Also, gun control helps criminals a lot unless we're talking of a Orwellian Police State here.
Last edited by Third Spanish States on Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PMT Factbook.
Honoro Sacrificium e Libertas : The Mindset, Jaredcohenia, New-Lexington, Binaria, Varejao, Hogsweat, Franberry, ChevyRocks, Izistan, Ulanpataar, North-Point, The Mindset, Vault 10, Rosbaningrad, Sharfghotten, Tyrandis, South Sharfgotten, Jeuna, Satirius, Zukariaa, Midlauthia et New Nicksyllvania.
Izistan wrote:Third Spanish States is a well known far-right activist so his attempts at humor can only be expected.

Umbagar wrote:%*$#! I put a crack in my screen thanks to the awesome "place fist here" sign. >:(

Lhazastan wrote:if all you want to do is run around being the big badass of a community, not only are you pathetic, but you are a bad RPer

Saxon Germany wrote:[...]you're practically a professional troll, TSS.[...]

Neu California
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Neu California » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:15 pm

Krazniastan wrote:I am against most forms of gun control. A lot of it is unnecessary, unenforceable, or so screwed up its not even funny. . .

I do think you should have safety and basic marksmanship training before purchasing one however. (And I do sell guns, a lot of people don't have the basics. . .)

Why not background checks, or psychological evaluations?

Surely you don't want violent/sexual criminals or people who are mentally unstable to have guns?

The above as well as strict limitations on automatic/sniper rifles pretty much sums up my views. There is no real reason why anyone needs those. Not for hunting (unless you're ging for utter overkill) or self defense.
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"-Unknown
He/him
Aspie and proud
I'm a weak agnostic without atheistic or theistic leanings.
Endless sucker for romantic lesbian stuff

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

Marinetus
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Marinetus » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:16 pm

My uncle owns a gun store, I work there, so my opinion might be a little biased.
I believe anyone 18 years or older should be allowed to buy a gun, and get a permit. Even felons should be able to, as long as their crimes didn't previously involve firearms or violence.

Military Storefronts: M*A*F*S*O

The Empire of The Separatist Systems - Future Technology
The Free Land of Marinetus - Modern Technology
The Kingdom of Demitrov - Modern Technology

New BladeSlayer Land
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New BladeSlayer Land » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:16 pm

Looser gun control leads to less crime. Strong gun control increases violent crime, and it leaves the playing field unbalanced with no way to make it fair. Criminals don't use registered guns anyways. Increasing the hoops you have to jump through to get a gun just hurts law-abiding citizens.
Last edited by New BladeSlayer Land on Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brogavia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:17 pm

Gun control is putting two bullets through the same hole at 25 meters.

However, I assume that's not what you mean. What you mean is victim disarmament.

Look at Chicago, Detroit, and Washington DC. Some of the toughest gun control laws in the country. Yet they have some of the highest murder rates in the country.
Playing NS since Jan of 2006

1010102, Unjustly Deleted

Agent of the Timegate, if you expose me I'll kill you

Roten
Envoy

Founded: Aug 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Roten » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:17 pm

Verzia wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:

She? I'm a boy!

As far as you know.

Anyway, gun control is only successful when the government does not kid itself on the purpose of it. Gun control is primarily intended to make sure the government is far more powerful than its citizens. This was the case after the unification of Japan, where the Shogun made sure that noone would be militarialy powerful enough to depose him.

Usually, gun-control activists want to reduce crime. In this venue, Gun control is doomed to failure. Just because someone has a gun does not mean that they can't hurt other people. A gas station could be robbed just as easily if the thief holds up a machete to the attendant's neck instead of pointing a gun at his face (which is why the UK is looking at banning those too). Ban swords, then it's knives. Ban Knives, then it's rocks. Ban rocks, then it's hands. A human can kill another human without any guns or tools.

Then, the argument goes, if criminals did not have guns (and this is assuming a successful gun-control campaign), they would cause less damage, in cases such as school shootings. Since most school shootings usually have a headline like "shooter with automatic weapon fires it at crowded middle-school hallway, injures 2", I think that this is not a problem. If he spent as much time training with any other weapon as he did his guns, we have nothing to worry about. In the case of the Gas-station attendant, if the attendant also has a gun, then it is better than if neither has one, and the criminal, having intent beforehand, has trained to kill with no weapon at all.
"Now there's a man with an open mind - you can feel the breeze from here!"
Don't open your mind so much that your brain falls out.
Noone has a right to demand other people's time and services.
THE PROTECTED STATES OF ROTEN
My Art (please visit!)

Neu California
Senator

Postby Neu California » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:18 pm

New BladeSlayer Land wrote:Looser gun control leads to less crime. Strong gun control increases violent crime, and it leaves the playing field unbalanced with no way to make it fair.

[citation needed]
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
He/him
Aspie and proud

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:20 pm

Neu California wrote:Why not background checks, or psychological evaluations?

Surely you don't want violent/sexual criminals or people who are mentally unstable to have guns?

The above as well as strict limitations on automatic/sniper rifles pretty much sums up my views. There is no real reason why anyone needs those. Not for hunting (unless you're ging for utter overkill) or self defense.

Some people are collectors.
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

Brogavia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:20 pm

Neu California wrote:The above as well as strict limitations on automatic/sniper rifles pretty much sums up my views. There is no real reason why anyone needs those. Not for hunting (unless you're ging for utter overkill) or self defense.

Please define what you consider automatic and sniper rifles.

The basic definition of a sniper rifle is pretty much a rifle with a scope. By that definition, you just out lawwed almost every single hunting rifle.

Neu California
Senator

Postby Neu California » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:21 pm

Brogavia wrote:Gun control is putting two bullets through the same hole at 25 meters.

However, I assume that's not what you mean. What you mean is victim disarmament.

Look at Chicago, Detroit, and Washington DC. Some of the toughest gun control laws in the country. Yet they have some of the highest murder rates in the country.

Yeah, blame a single factor on everything without even thinking of the possibility that other factors may exist.
He/him
Aspie and proud

New BladeSlayer Land
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New BladeSlayer Land » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:21 pm

[citation needed]

You have the internet, bro. Read up. The amount of information out there on this is astounding, and me trying to summarize it will just be a waste of everyones time.
Last edited by New BladeSlayer Land on Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New World Liberty
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New World Liberty » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:21 pm

Marinetus wrote:My uncle owns a gun store, I work there, so my opinion might be a little biased.
I believe anyone 18 years or older should be allowed to buy a gun, and get a permit. Even felons should be able to, as long as their crimes didn't previously involve firearms or violence.

i agree 18, a permit and even felons of non-violent crimes. but i think you should also have to take some kind of course or class or an evaluation to make sure your competent.

Marinetus
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Marinetus » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:21 pm

An automatic sniper rifle, never heard of any such thing.
There are two kinds of sniper rifles, semi-automatic and bolt-action (At least that I sell).

F1-Insanity
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:21 pm

Brogavia wrote:
Neu California wrote:The above as well as strict limitations on automatic/sniper rifles pretty much sums up my views. There is no real reason why anyone needs those. Not for hunting (unless you're ging for utter overkill) or self defense.

Please define what you consider automatic and sniper rifles.

The basic definition of a sniper rifle is pretty much a rifle with a scope. By that definition, you just out lawwed almost every single hunting rifle.

I think that's his idea... :eyebrow:
F1-Insanity Factbook
World Bowl XII: Winner
Why yes, I am a progressive and social human being, thanks for asking!
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:
-Total annual income for the Jones family: $21,700
-Amount of money the Jones family spent: $38,200
-Amount of new debt added to the credit card: $16,500
-Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710

-Amount cut from the budget: $385
Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street
Bush's 'faith' was the same political tool as Obama's 'hope'.

Marinetus
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Marinetus » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:23 pm

New World Liberty wrote:[...]
i agree 18, a permit and even felons of non-violent crimes. but i think you should also have to take some kind of course or class or an evaluation to make sure your competent.

At the shop we have a three week course for $50 a week. It teaches you to use a variety of weapons, but most guns are pretty self-explanatory; point and click.

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:23 pm

Roten wrote:
Usually, gun-control activists want to reduce crime. In this venue, Gun control is doomed to failure. Just because someone has a gun does not mean that they can't hurt other people. A gas station could be robbed just as easily if the thief holds up a machete to the attendant's neck instead of pointing a gun at his face (which is why the UK is looking at banning those too). Ban swords, then it's knives. Ban Knives, then it's rocks. Ban rocks, then it's hands. A human can kill another human without any guns or tools.

Yeah the UK will surely ban knives. :palm:

Knives and hands play an important role in U.K society whereas Gun do not.
Last edited by EvilDarkMagicians on Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neu California
Senator

Postby Neu California » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:23 pm

New BladeSlayer Land wrote:
[citation needed]

You have the internet, bro. Read up. The amount of information out there on this is astounding, and me trying to summarize it will just be a waste of everyones time.

:palm: That's not how it works. You make the claim, you back it up. Simple rule of internet debate.
He/him
Aspie and proud

Brogavia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:24 pm

Neu California wrote:
Brogavia wrote:Gun control is putting two bullets through the same hole at 25 meters.

Yeah, blame a single factor on everything without even thinking of the possibility that other factors may exist.

In Chicago they outlawed handguns. yet people still have them, and still aquire them. If gun control works, how is it possible that these cities have gun crime?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General