NATION

PASSWORD

Silaran Public Affairs Network (SPAN) [NEWS, CLOSED]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
Silar
Diplomat

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Silaran Public Affairs Network (SPAN) [NEWS, CLOSED]

Postby Silar » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:56 pm

The Silaran Public Affairs Network, or SPAN, is the state-owned network of the Silaran Throne. Since Silaran law forbids the government to manipulate the press, SPAN does not report on news but instead serves to cover footage of events of state, government, and other general interest to the Silaran public. SPAN regularly provides live feeds of press conferences as well as sessions of High Parliament, special meetings of government, court sessions, and all state events such as coronations, royal weddings and funerals, and the annual conventions and recesses of Parliament. They also cover state visits both in and out of Silar and other events where the Silaran Monarch is present.

Footage from SPAN is permissible for use by other press organizations and is considered an official government record of what occurs during High Parliament. In addition, SPAN provides a public archive for all Parliamentary decisions and voting records.

Official Status of the Government of Silar

The High Parliament is IN SESSION.
The Lord Chancellor is AT HOME.
The Monarch is AT HOME, in the FIFTH year of his reign, and in GOOD health.
The Royal Family is AT HOME.
Last edited by Silar on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
His Royal and Serene Majesty Pius Alartho, By God's Grace, High King of Silar and its Commonwealth, Defender and Protector of the Holy and Catholic Faith
Embassy Program - Factbook - King Georges Alban International Airport - The Silaran Evening Telegraph - Silaran Public Affairs Network
A Catholic nation? Why not join the Catholic Church?! - Silar is Prefect of the CDF
A Christian Nation (Catholic or no)? Why not join the Grand Inter-Denominational Christian Alliance?! - Silar is a member state

Silar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Silar » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:58 am

December 25, 2012
His Royal and Serene Majesty's Christmas Address

Every year, the Monarch of Silar gives an address to his subjects on Christmas morning. It is played live on most radio stations and is shown on television stations throughout the nation. The address forms a common touch point for many Silarans' Christmas celebrations. The Monarch often uses it as an opportunity not only to speak on Christmas and reflect on the year past, but as a method to speak directly to the public in a manner less lofty than the other annual speech, the Speech from the Throne which is given every January on the reconvention of High Parliament. It is not a political speech, but a personal one.

His Royal and Serene Majesty's Address on the Occasion of Christmas, 2012 AD

Dear friends,

Here we are again, at the end of another year. It is now the fifth Christmas time I have been privileged to spend with you all. I speak to you from Nemen House, my home in Mapleburough, Wenten, as has been my tradition.

I admit, this has always been one of the more daunting tasks I face as Monarch. Indeed, as my predecessor King Georges Alban so famously observed, "Beneath all the robes, gold, and silver, the Monarch is truly the poorest man in Silar, a servant of his own servants." I remember reading those words, years ago, on my way to the coronation. I have done my best to uphold them in my time as your King. Forgive me for all the times I have failed.

This last year has been a busy one for all of us in Silar. It has been, for the first time in a long while, our nation's time to be thrust into the wide world of international politics. We have, together, weathered the struggles inherent to such engagement as well as reaped its benefits and learned its inevitable lessons. Our troops were deployed in the service of peace, upholding order in an ancient land torn by civil war. Embassies flourished here and abroad. We were represented at summits and in conferences. And I myself had the wonderful privilege of visiting an old ally and friend, the Kingdom of Rome. Yes, it has been a momentous year for Silar and the coming year shall prove to be all the greater, I trust.

Christmas time is a season close to all of our hearts here in Silar. It is our moment, in the midst of the busy schedules we all hold, to stop for a moment and reflect on the year, to spend time with our family and friends, and to consider the blessings we have received from Almighty God. This Christmas, my thoughts turn as they always do to the night it all began, that first Christmas years ago in Bethlehem. We often forget how profound that night was, allowing it to be overcome by all the usual pomp of our Christmas celebration. But, I ask you, consider it. As the Gospel of John tells us, "The Word became flesh and made its dwelling among us and we saw his glory, the glory as of the Father's only Son, full of grace and truth." God came among us that night so many years ago, the night we remember today. And he came not to a great King or Prince, not the the courts of Caesar or even to the great and pious priests od Jerusalem. No, he was born of a poor young virgin girl. In the midst of a violent, large, and chaotic world, God became flesh as a little, helpless child to poor peasants who would soon be refugees from the murderous wrath of a King. God, the King of Kings, the Prince of Peace, came into this world in a barn, of a peasant woman, among violence and poverty, and with none but shepherds and farm animals for attendants.

This Christmas, let us remember the Christ Child we celebrate and let us remember his birth for all it was. Let us come, out of our own chaos and violence, and for one small moment, look in awe upon Jesus Christ, a little child who is God. Let him be born to us again this Christmas and let us, in the year ahead, do all we can to bring his will about. Let us be sowers of the peace promised to us in this holy day.

Thank you all and Merry Christmas.
His Royal and Serene Majesty Pius Alartho, By God's Grace, High King of Silar and its Commonwealth, Defender and Protector of the Holy and Catholic Faith
Embassy Program - Factbook - King Georges Alban International Airport - The Silaran Evening Telegraph - Silaran Public Affairs Network
A Catholic nation? Why not join the Catholic Church?! - Silar is Prefect of the CDF
A Christian Nation (Catholic or no)? Why not join the Grand Inter-Denominational Christian Alliance?! - Silar is a member state

Silar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Silar » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:54 pm

Convention of the High Parliament of the High Commonwealth of Silar
Wednesday, the 2nd of January, the Year of Our Lord 2013

[Broadcast opens on the Chamber of Parliament at the High Palace of Silar which is currently filled completely with its membership of 600. On the platform, the First Minister of the Governance, Sir Alban More (Monarchist Party) is sitting. At his right is a man in the navy robes of the peerage, the Lord Steward of the Realm, Duke Roger Noble, sits and at Lord More's right is Dame Alice Cramer (Sovereign Party), the First Minister of the Dissent.]

Good morning and welcome to the Silaran Public Affairs Network's special coverage of the Convention of High Parliament in Silar Demesne. In am Robert Yew, a political correspondent for the Silaran Evening Telegraph who will be your commentator for this event. We begin, as demanded by tradition, in the Chamber of Parliament in the High Palace in Silar. The Christmas Recess, which began in early December, ends today as the new session begins and a new Parliament convenes. This is the first time that these Speakers have joined as parliamentarians though it will by no means be the last.

Some notable changes have been made this year to High Parliament. First of all, the Monarchists picked up 40 seats this session, moving their total to 270 and earning them almost half the representation in this Parliament. The Conservatives also picked up several seats. However, these additions by the Conservatives and Monarchists have not come without a price for them. The Liberals picked up 20 more seats, gaining some traction in Angle. The biggest surprises out of this recent election have come in the entry of two new parties: the Green and Communist parties who drew seats from the Violets, now no longer holding seats, the Sovereigns, and the Burghers. The entry of the Communists is definitely a point of interests. These two Speakers, who came from Nore, lack much ability to make radical change in government but their very presence is unsettling for more conservative voices and even for some the Liberals. Rumor even is that the two Speakers were going to deny going to the Convention due to the highly aristocratic and peerage-based nature of the event as well as the presence of the Monarch but it appears they are both here today..

The Governance is, as it has always been, included the Monarchists who have contributed their usual pick of Alban More as First Minister. Sir More has been a major player in politics for the last 20 years and, despite his age, does not show signs of quitting. The Monarchists join the Conservatives who lost their old First Minister, Dame Cramer, who changed affiliation a year ago to the Sovereign Party. She is again First Minister of the Dissent, as her party joins the larger Liberals and a surprise addition of the Greens. Her appointment to a second First Ministership is actually a surprise as she is in a minority party in her coalition. However, it appears the Liberals went with a pragmatic route and chose to keep a familiar face as their leader. It will be interesting to see the dynamic playing between the Liberals and Sovereigns in these coming years.

Ah, and here we are.. Sir More is calling the Parliament to order and the daily prayers are being said.

Sir Alban More rises from his seat and raps his gavel once, calling the chamber to Order. "Hear all, let this High Parliament come to order on this, its first day." The chamber becomes quiet. "Will the chaplain please come up for the prayer?" An older gentleman in clerical dress comes to the podium in the well of the chamber and begins with the sign of the cross.
"In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen. Almighty God, look upon this day as we conduct our business and guide us with your wisdom and grace that we might achieve your will. Let us always remember that our authority comes from you and that we are subject to you. Amen." The priest then turns to the First Minister, bows, and then takes his seat in the side of the chamber. Sir More, nodding his head in thanks to the priest, rises again, turns and bows to the man on his right, the Lord Steward, and begins to speak.
"Your Grace, my Lord Steward, we have among us new members of this body who need be sworn into their duty. Should it please your Grace, we ask that you, in representation of his Royal and Serene Majesty, our beloved King and Monarch, deliver them all the oath."
"It does please me, and I shall." the Lord Steward says, rising, and descending to the podium where a clerk joins him bearing a Bible resting on a silk cushion. The new Speakers are called one by one by Sir More and, placing their right hand upon the Bible and raising their left, they each are dictated the oath by the Lord Steward which is:
"I, [name], having been lawfully elected and with Almighty God, whose Gospels I now touch, as my witness, do solemnly and without reserve swear to be faithful and to bear true allegiance to His Royal and Serene Majesty King Pius Alartho, to the High Commonwealth of Silar and to its people, most especially those who I have been chosen to represent. I further swear to uphold, promote, and defend the best interests of the Monarch, of the High Commonwealth and its people, and of those I have been chosen to represent. This I swear and so may God give me the grace to complete it."

Here the Speakers say their oaths which is a requirement for a seat to be claimed. Those failing to take the Oath must abdicate their seat for a reelection.

As the oaths are completed, the Lord Steward returns to his seat high up and, on cue, a page enters through the doors and, passing on the side of the chamber, moves to whisper something into the ear of the Lord Steward as Sir More knocks the gavel and begins speaking again.
"Thank you, my Lord Steward. Now we shall move to the business of the day."
The Lord Steward, having been given his message stands and speaks,
"Sir President, I have word that His Royal and Serene Majesty has asked to address this assembly on this, their first day. I move that he be admitted to enter and to address us."
"I second the Lord Steward's motion" Dame Cramer says, standing briefly
"Very well," says Sir More, "Are there any in opposition of the motion to admit His Royal and Serene Majesty to address this Parliament of his?" After a moment of silence, More knocks the gavel and declares, "Motion passes. Let the King enter and speak."
At this, the doors of the chamber open and a man in royal court robes steps in bearing a large ceremonial mace. He knocks it once on the floor announcing, "Order and silence. Let all hear."
Another man in court robes enters after this and announces loudly, "Mr. President, Ms. Vice President, members of this honorable High Parliament," he bows to each side before continuing, "may all rise for His Royal and Serene Majesty Pius Alartho, by God's Grace, High King of Silar and its High Commonwealth, Defender and Protector of the Holy and Catholic Faith."
The man with the mace (Sergeant-at-arms of the Mace) steps before the other (the Lord Herald of the Realm) and they begin to slowly process forward. Behind them come the three military commanders followed by several judges. Next, the Diplomatic Corps, then a large body of robes peers, the Lords Regent, then the Royal Court, finally King Pius Alartho enters, dressed in the blue and silver regalia of the Silaran Monarchy, who is attended by Cardinal Gregory Recker, the Patriarch of Silar, and by the Lord Chancellor, Thomas Call. All stand as the group processes forward. Most of them file into empty seats at the back of the chamber but the King and Cardinal process all the way through the chamber, being met by the Lord Herald and Sergeant-at-arms of the Mace as they move to the podium. The members there all stand, bow to the King, and move down to take seats on the floor allowing for the Cardinal, the King, and the Lord Chancellor to take their seats. After the King takes his seat, the Sergeant-at-arms knocks his mace on the ground and all the others sit down. As the chamber becomes quiet, the King begins to speak.

"My Lords Regent and Speakers of Parliament, my Government's legislative program will focus on promoting Silar's interests and place internationally, expanding international trade and diplomacy, securing peace and order within and without Silar's borders, economic stimulus, and on needed public reform.

My Government attaches the highest importance to national security and to promoting Silar's interests as well as those of all well meaning nations. For the first time in many years, the High Commonwealth is beginning to take steps out of its own borders and into the politics of the region and of the world. We seek no longer to remain an observer in the affairs of our neighbors but intend instead to take an active role in promoting international stability and peace. To this end, my Government will be pursuing the establishment of diplomatic missions abroad as well as the enrollment of Silar in international alliances. My Government will also work to strengthen those relationships they have already secured and to use them as the starting point for joint initiatives for economic growth and joint security.

My Government will also be continuing the expansion it has begun for Silar's military forces, especially the Navy. Public monies will be allocated for the purchase of new materials, for recruitment. They will seek to build our military not only as an armed force for national defense, but also as the arm of Silar in responding to international humanitarian needs. My Government will be increasing the engagement Silar's armed forces, together with our diplomatic agents, have in responding to disasters and crises around the world to secure Silar's interests abroad, to support our allies, and to promote the general human needs of our fellow man.

My Government will be working to secure the security of our former territory Silaran Irilana who have been bravely facing foreign aggression as well as attacks from domestic and international terrorists. As with all our allies, we stand in fraternal solidarity with Silaran Irilana as they face these trying times. My Government will be paying close attention to the situation and assisting as needed.

On the domestic front, my Government will be working to develop our economy. They will be lowering taxes on most Silarans to remove the burden too many face as well as encouraging business to thrive in Silar's borders as well as encourage Silaran businesses to begin international endeavors. All the same, my Government will be working to ensure business remembers its social and moral responsibilities while they take an increasing role as a cornerstone of our society. Through international efforts, my Government will be working to expand Silar's economic strength beyond its borders and to share prosperity with our allies.

My Government will also be pursing an agenda of needed public and governmental reform. Efforts will be taken to strengthen those institutions that are working while others will be altered to meet changing needs.

Speakers of High Parliment,
Legislation will be introduced that will establish a new Justiciary specifically to hear appeals cases.
Legislation will be introduced as well to establish special drug and mental health courts in the Justiciaries to cut reoffense rates and to rehabilitate criminals with special need and cause for their crime.
Legislation will be introduced to transer some government welfare services to deputized local private charities to cut cost to my Government.
Legislation will be introduced to ban the use of drones for military strikes.
Legislation will be introduced to clarify regulation surrounding involuntary commitment of mentally ill persons.
Estimates for the public services will be laid before you.
These and other measures shall come before you in this year.
My Speakers of High Parliment, I pray that the blessing of Almighty God may rest upon your counsels."

Once this is done, the King rises, the Sergeant-at-arms of the Mace knocks his mace, signalling all to rise and Cardinal Recker extends his hand and intones:
"Speakers, bow your heads and pray for the blessing of Almighty God.
May God, Father of lights,
who was pleased to enlighten the disciples' minds
by the outpouting of the Spirit, the Paraclete,
grant you gladness by his blessing
and make you always abound with wisdom.

May Christ, the King of Kings and the Prince of Peace,
Through whom all things came to be and whose name all knees bend
grant you prudence in your task of governance by his grace
and may his example and blessing guide your counsels in wisdom.

And may God, who has been pleased to unite many tongues
in the profession of one faith and beneath the guidance of one nation,
give you perseverance in the doing of good
and, by his grace, may you bring hope and joy into the world.

And may the blessing of Almighty God
Father,
Son,
And Holy Sprit come upon you and remain with you forever.
Amen."
The Cardinal thrice makes the sign of the cross over the congregation before turning as he and the others depart from the podium and the entire procession exits silent as it came. The doors closing loudly behind them.

Silar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Silar » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:07 pm

The Pro Forma Bill and the Humble Address and Reply: The High Parliament's First Acts of the Year.

As tradition demands, the following pro forma bill was introduced and read in High Parliament before the Humble Address in Reply to His Royal and Serene Majesty's Speech was considered. The Assertion of Right Bill is introduced by the President (the First Minister for the Governance) and is introduced and read allowed. Following that, it is not debated or considered. The Bill asserts the right of High Parliament to give precedence to matters regardless of the wishes and desires of the Throne and declares them independent of the Monarchy.

The Humble Address in Reply is considered next with a motion by the Vice President (First Minister for the Dissent) to make an address in reply to the Monarch. The matter is debated though the debate rarely concerns actually making an Address in Reply and instead serves as an opportunity for the various Speakers to address topics they wish to speak on. Special rule for the debate strikes down the usual ability of filibuster and limits each Speaker to a time of five minutes to cover their topic. The debate usually covers the first few days of High Parliament's session. At the conclusion, the motion is voted on. The text of the Humble Address in Reply is standard and suffers little alteration or change. The motion to deliver the Address in Reply is ceremonial and represents the approval of High Parliament for the King. Never in modern times has the Address in Reply been turned down by High Parliament though every year usually gains a few people who vote against the Address in Reply.

The Assertion of Right Bill

An Act respecting the Rights of the High Parliament.

1. This bill asserts the right of the High Parliament to give precedence as it wishes to matters not addressed in the Speech from the Throne.

The Humble Address in Reply to the Speech from the Throne

We, the High Parliament of the High Commonwealth of Silar, thank you for the speech presented to us at the Convention of this High Parliament. May your Royal and Serene Majesty rest assured that we shall receieve the matters you referred to in your speech with careful consideration, prudence, and wisdom, and weigh them with all diligence as we debate their place in the law of this High Commonwealth.

We pray for your Royal and Serene Majesty long life and blessing and that Almighty God may look kindly on your reign. We invite you return to our chambers during the year to bring again before us matters which require our consideration.

PASSED in open session by the High Parliament of Silar. 596 FOR v. 4 AGAINST
Last edited by Silar on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Silar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:21 pm

Friday, January 4, 2013

The following legislation was introduced on the floor of High Parliament today by the Governance and received its first reading today.

Special Courts Act of 2013

In the 135th High Parliament of the High Commonwealth Silar
The 4th Day of January in the Year of Our Lord 2013

An Act to establish judicial bodies for the resolution of special legal criminal matters.

BE IT ENACTED by the King’s most excellent, Royal, and Serene Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Speakers in this present High Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

Part 1: Preliminary

I. Short Title

This Act may be cited as the Special Courts Act of 2013.

II. Commencement

This Act commences on the day to be affixed by promulgation.

III. Objects of this Act

(1) The objects of this Act are:
(a) reduce cost on penal systems caused by repeat offenses with special, alternatively treatable circumstances
(b) assist in the rehabilitation of criminals motivated by complex, treatable psychological problems and addictions
(c) to reduce the rate of crime related to psychological disorder
(d) to reduce the rate of drug addiction

(2) These objects are to be achieved by:
(a) the establishment of special courts to resolve legal issues relating to drug use and psychological disorder founded under a goal of rehabilitation rather than punishment.

Part 2: Drug Courts

IV: Drug Courts

(1) Each Judiciary, save the High Judiciary of the Throne, shall establish at least one court in its Upper Court system to be designated a “drug court”

(2) A special judge, called a “drug magistrate”, may be designated at the discretion of the Justiciary in question.

(3) A drug court may be presided over by a drug magistrate or by a standard judge.

V: Drug Magistrates

(1) the drug magistrate shall be under the guidance of a judge of the Upper Court who shall oversee his work and review his decisions.

(2) A drug magistrate shall not exercise the jurisdiction of the Upper Court unless he is given leave by the Presiding Judge of the Upper Court.

(3) A drug magistrate shall have only have authority in designated drug courts of his Justiciary.

(4) A drug magistrates decisions may be overturned by the Presiding Judge of the Upper Court or by the judge assigned to oversee him.
(a) Neither of these shall be consider appellete and may not be approached by counsel for reason of appeal
(b) Should a decision be overturned, the trial shall occur again in the drug court system under a standard judge’s presidency unless the writ of overturn designates differently

(4) A drug magistrate shall hold the rank and privileges of the Magistrate of a subordinate Magistery.

VI: Those Eligible for Drug Courts

(1) A person shall be eligible for the drug court if he:
(a) has committed a crime
(b) has been referred to the drug court for offenses directly related to drug abuse

(2) A person shall be ineligible for drug court if he:
(a) has committed or is accused of a sexual felony
(i) the crime of prostitution shall never exclude a person from the eligibility in the drug court
(b) is accused in the dealing of drugs in connection to a cartel, gang, or other aspect of drug related crime
(c) has committed or is accused of a violent crime
(d) is not addicted or dependant on an illegal drug
(i) for the purposes of this paragraph, addiction to alcohol shall be considered addiction to an illegal drug
(e) accused of a felony

(3) For the purposes of section 1, paragraph b of this Act, the following shall be competent to refer an individual to the drug court:
(a) A direct family member or spouse of the accused
(b) A law enforcement or government agent directly involved in the case of the accused
(c) The accused himself or his legal counsel
(d) The prosecution of the case in question
(e) Any judge of the Justiciary in question
(f) The Promoter of Justice of the case in question

VII: Introduction of a Case

(1) Once a case is referred to the drug court, the court must accept it if they deem it to meet eligibility.

(2) If the accused has not yet been found guilty, he must enter a plea of “guilty” with the drug court at the first hearing.
(a) All usual procedures surrounding the entry of “guilty” plea must be followed
(b) Should a person not enter a plea of “guilty”, the case shall be returned to a traditional court

(3) If the person has already been convicted, he must consent to the drug court.

(4) The accused must allocute in open court to the charges in question and must render formal apology to the court and to any victims.

(5) In the sentencing, the judge overseeing shall not place the convict in a traditional prison. Instead, the judge should work with the convict, prosecution, and promoter of justice in order to formulate an effective treatment plan and means of penance for the convict. Combined, these plans shall be called the “judicial program.”

(6) The convict must sign an oath swearing to fully abstain from drugs during the process.
(a) Alcohol may be added if alcoholism is a factor.

(7) Pursuant to article VII, section 6 of this Act, regular drug testing on an interval of at least one test a month, preferably more and at a random basis, shall be submitted to the drug court for review.

(8) The convict should perform community service during the extent of the judicial program.

(9) For the extent of the judicial program, the convict should be placed into obligatory enrollment in a drug treatment and rehabilitation program.
(a) if a residential program is deemed necessary, it should be pursued.

(10) A person enrolled in a judicial program should not leave the jurisdiction of the Judiciary for the extent of the program without prior permission and should not leave their place of residence without permission from the drug court.

(11) The convict shall be placed in a standard probation program through local police agencies for the extent of the judicial program the reports of which shall be forwarded to the drug court.

(12) For the extent of the judicial program, the convict shall appear for monthly hearings to report his progress.
(a) Any medical specialists guiding drug programs the convict is involved in should give testimony, even if it only be writing.
(b) The probation officer of the convict should give testimony, even if it only be in writing.
(c) Persons who monitored community service by the convict should give testimony, even if it only be in writing.

(13) The judicial program shall last at least two-thirds of the length of the jail sentence of crime the convict was found guilty of and may last as long after that point as deemed prudent by the drug court.

(14) The convict shall not be released from the judicial program until it can be determined that rehabilitation has occurred.

(15) If there is a fine associated with the crime committed, it should be paid to the drug court.

(16) If the convict fails to meet the requirements of his judicial plan, it shall be noted on his record and he should offer apology and allocution to the drug court at his hearing.

(17) A person should not be expelled from the program and returned to traditional sentence unless it is determined he is completely unwilling to cooperate with the drug court in his rehabilitation.
(a) A person should not be expelled for the program due to simple drug relapse unless it can be proven the convict has no intent to abstain from drugs as per article VII, section 6.

Part 3: Mental Health Courts
VIII: Mental Health Courts

(1) Each Judiciary, save the High Judiciary of the Throne, shall establish at least one court in its Upper Court system to be designated a “mental health court”

(2) A special judge, called a “mental health magistrate”, may be designated at the discretion of the Justiciary in question.

(3) A mental health court may be presided over by a mental health magistrate or by a standard judge.

IX: Mental Health Magistrates

(1) the mental health magistrate shall be under the guidance of a judge of the Upper Court who shall oversee his work and review his decisions.

(2) A mental health magistrate shall not exercise the jurisdiction of the Upper Court unless he is given leave by the Presiding Judge of the Upper Court.

(3) A mental health magistrate shall have only have authority in designated mental health courts of his Justiciary.

(4) A mental health magistrate’s decisions may be overturned by the Presiding Judge of the Upper Court or by the judge assigned to oversee him.
(a) Neither of these shall be consider appellete and may not be approached by counsel for reason of appeal
(b) Should a decision be overturned, the trial shall occur again in the drug court system under a standard judge’s presidency unless the writ of overturn designates differently

(4) A mental health magistrate shall hold the rank and privileges of the Magistrate of a subordinate Magistery.

X: Who is Eligible for Mental Health Courts

(1) A person shall be eligible for the mental health court if he:
(a) has committed a crime
(b) has been referred to the mental health court for offenses directly related to his mental illness

(2) A person shall be ineligible for drug court if he:
(a) has committed or is accused of a sexual felony
(b) has committed or is accused of a violent crime
(b) is not affected by mental illness or his crime cannot be attributed to said mental illness
(c) accused of a felony

(3) For the purposes of section 1, paragraph b of this Act, the following shall be competent to refer an individual to the drug court:
(a) A direct family member or spouse of the accused
(b) A law enforcement or government agent directly involved in the case of the accused
(c) The accused himself or his legal counsel
(d) The prosecution of the case in question
(e) Any judge of the Justiciary in question
(f) The Promoter of Justice of the case in question
(g) A psychiatrist or psychologist involved in the treatment of the accused

XI: Introduction of a Case

(1) Once a case is referred to the mental health court, the court must accept it if they deem it to meet eligibility.

(2) If the accused has not yet been found guilty, he must enter a plea of “guilty” with the mental health court at the first hearing.
(a) All usual procedures surrounding the entry of “guilty” plea must be followed
(b) Should a person not enter a plea of “guilty”, the case shall be returned to a traditional court

(3) If the person has already been convicted, he must consent to the drug court.

(4) The accused must allocute in open court to the charges in question and must render formal apology to the court and to any victims.

(5) In the sentencing, the judge overseeing shall not place the convict in a traditional prison. Instead, the judge should work with the convict, prosecution, and promoter of justice in order to formulate an effective treatment plan and means of penance for the convict. Combined, these plans shall be called the “judicial program.”

(6) The convict must sign an oath swearing to fully comply with treatment plans including to take all medication prescribed to him during the process.

(7) Pursuant to article X, section 6 of this Act, regular testing to ensure the drug is being taken shall occur on an interval of at least one test a month, preferably more and at a random basis, shall be submitted to the mental health court for review.

(8) The convict should perform community service during the extent of the judicial program.

(9) For the extent of the judicial program, the convict should be placed into obligatory enrollment in a mental health treatment and rehabilitation program.
(a) if a residential program is deemed necessary, it should be pursued.

(10) A person enrolled in a judicial program should not leave the jurisdiction of the Judiciary for the extent of the program without prior permission and should not leave their area of residence without permission from the mental health court.

(11) The convict shall be placed in a standard probation program through local police agencies for the extent of the judicial program the reports of which shall be forwarded to the mental health court.

(12) For the extent of the judicial program, the convict shall appear for monthly hearings to report his progress.
(a) Any medical specialists guiding mental health programs the convict is involved in should give testimony, even if it only be writing.
(b) The probation officer of the convict should give testimony, even if it only be in writing.
(c) Persons who monitored community service by the convict should give testimony, even if it only be in writing.

(13) The judicial program shall last at least two-thirds of the length of the jail sentence of crime the convict was found guilty of and may last as long after that point as deemed prudent by the mental health court.

(14) The convict shall not be released from the judicial program until it can be determined that rehabilitation has occurred.

(15) If there is a fine associated with the crime committed, it should be paid to the mental health court.

(16) If the convict fails to meet the requirements of his judicial plan, it shall be noted on his record and he should offer apology and allocution to the mental health court at his hearing.

(17) A person should not be expelled from the program and returned to traditional sentence unless it is determined he is completely unwilling to cooperate with the mental health court in his rehabilitation.
(a) A person should not be expelled for the program due to simple neglect to take medication or similar violation unless it can be proven the convict has no intent to take medication or participate in the program as per article X, section 6.

Universal Jurisdiction Act of 2013

In the 135th High Parliament of the High Commonwealth Silar
The 4th Day of January in the Year of Our Lord 2013

An Act to assert universal jurisdiction for the prosecution and trial of certain crimes.

BE IT ENACTED by the King’s most excellent, Royal, and Serene Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Speakers in this present High Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

Part 1: Preliminary

I. Short Title

This Act may be cited as the Universal Jurisdiction Act of 2013.

II. Commencement

This Act commences on the day to be affixed by promulgation.

III. Objects of this Act

(1) The objects of this Act are:
(a) To bring war criminals to justice despite governments unwilling or unable to to it themselves.
(b) To reduce the rates of terrorism world wide
(c) To allow the High Commonwealth to execute justice on matters that require attention but would otherwise go ignored

(2) These objects are to be achieved by:
(a) the assertion of universal jurisdiction on the part of the Attorney General of the High Commonwealth and his agents as well as the Royal Justiciary of Silar Demesne and the High Justiciary for the Throne.

Part 2: Universal Jurisdiction

IV: Establishment and Execution

(1) The following crimes shall be indictable universally under this act regardless of the place in which to took place:
(a) War crimes
(b) Terrorism
(c) Government Corruption
(d) Genocide
(e) Torture
(f) Naval Piracy
(g) Human Trafficking

(2) On the above indictable offenses, all of which are felonies in the highest rank, the High Commonwealth of Silar shall empower the following agencies to prepare and grant indictment under the regular norms of the law:
(a) The Attorney General of the High Commonwealth of Silar
(b) The Associate Attorney General for Foreign Law Affairs
(c) The Procurator of the Royal Justiciary of Silar Demesne

(3) It shall be preferable that a person indicted under article IV, section 2 of this Act be arrested by the state in whose jurisdiction they are in and then be licitly extradited to the Silaran state. However, should that not occur, the Attorney General of the High Commonwealth of Silar jointly with the Minister for Foreign and Regional Affairs and Lord Chancellor of Silar shall have the power to empower any of the following to serve indictment and carry out an arrest of the accused that they may stand trial:
(a) Any member of the Military Forces of the High Commonwealth of Silar
(b) Any agent of the Royal Civilian Intelligence Agency
(c) Any government agent validly charged with the arrest of such an individual by the Ministry for Foreign and Regional Affairs
(d) Any agent of the Royal Silaran Police Service

(4) Should the person be found within the borders or regular jurisdiction of the High Commonwealth of Silar, they shall be arrested under usual procedures and norms and not under the norms of article IV, section 3 of this Act.

(5) Should a person indicted under the above act not be found in the span of sixty (60) days, he shall be considered a fugitive from Justice.

(6) Any person indicted under the article IV, section 2 of this Act shall be tried in one of the following courts:
(a) The Royal Justiciary of Silar Demesne
(b) The High Justiciary of the Throne

(7) Should a person indicted under article IV, section 2 of this Act be a head of state or an ambassador, they shall have the right to demand their trial be held in the High Justiciary of the Throne.

V: The Unwarranted Detonation of a Nuclear Device

(1) The following crime, a felony, shall be established by this Act and shall be a crime indictable universally according to the norms of this Act:
(a) The unwarranted detonation of a nuclear device

(2) The crime "unwarranted detonation of a nuclear device" shall be defined as follows:
(a) the detonation of a nuclear device where there was reasonable alternative action

(3) The detonation of a nuclear device by any body save a state shall always be considered unwarranted.

(4) The following sentence shall be handed down to those guilty of unwarranted detonation of a nuclear device:
(a) A term of imprisonment no less than 25 years and no more than a term of life without parole
Last edited by Silar on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to Factbooks and National Information