NATION

PASSWORD

US Forces in Japan. Maintain or Withdraw?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Please select which option you'd prefer

Increase US Forces in Japan
11%
Maintain US Forces at Their Current Extent
32%
Reduce US Forces in Japan
23%
Remove All American Forces From Japan
33%

Total votes : 244

Free Detroit
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Detroit » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:40 pm

SovietKitties wrote:Lol you really believe a piece of paper is going to stop them being aggressive. Don't get me wrong, I think we should leave. I fully believe they won't start another war unless provoked. But, it's a piece of paper. The only authority it has is what people enforce and that's up to the government.

Japan still has an aggressive, nationalist strain in its politics that is growing steadily. This is exactly the same craziness that led to the Pacific war in WWII. They truly believe they are meant to dominate the Pacific, that their emperor has a divine right to slaughter the Chinese, and so on.

That said, the US presence is mutually beneficial to both countries and most Japanese recognize it. Okinawans get angry because it's in their backyard and American soldiers - regardless of the actual number of crimes committed - tend to be loud dickheads when they're here, do not respect local custom, and proudly declare their superiority to the Japanese in public places. In short, they advertise themselves as untouchable and unquestionably dominant, and that's bound to piss off the locals. I've seen it firsthand - I live in Taiwan (said I'd emigrate if Bush II won reelection, and actually did it), have a number of Japanese friends, and have made trips to Okinawa, a close and comfortable vacation spot.

Every single time I have encountered American soldiers in the Pacific, I have been completely ashamed of my country and the behavior of it's servicemen. I never come into contact with them without hearing (and I'm dead serious here) loud yelling about 1) Asian's penis size, 2) degrading local women, 3) the bidet function on Japanese public toilets, or 4) the superiority of McDonalds to sushi.

I understand they're mostly kids, mostly uneducated and uncultured, and reacting in some way to psychological alienation and homesickness... most of the soldiers I've met are pretty nice guys when they're at home... but, hell, you'd think someone could drill some respect into them for when they're overseas too.
Last edited by Free Detroit on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Political Compass:

Economic Left/Right: -9.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.74
Non-interventionist/Interventionist: -7.42
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: -7.71

*** Anarcho-Syndicalist ***

Acrainia
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Acrainia » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:16 am

If they want them gone, close them down. Although the Japanese shouldn't expect a timely response should they ever face aggression...

Wait a minute!

Increasing American isolationism? Economic and political instability in Europe? A rising global power in Asia? A strongman takes power in Russia after a disappointing end to an era of radical political change?

I've seen this all before somewhere...

Arpeji
Secretary

Founded: Jan 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arpeji » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:29 am

NERVUN wrote:
Arpeji wrote:Stopping extra territorial rights , I think , will solve many things. Say allow the local arrests and tries the offending soldier, or at least public military trial by the US there.
The locals are scared since US soldiers can basically "attack" them without repercussion.

That's not true. SOFA allows the US to maintain custody of US troops until charges are filed. This can cause problems with Japanese investigations (Which in turn is another issue given Japanese police powers). However, in event of serious crimes, the US can wave this and hand people over.

Could you explain what issue happens with Japanese police powers? I think SOFA as territorial rights. Main problem, as far as I understand, is that Japanese Police needs to hand over based on SOFA rather than allowing local arrest or you can say it as arrest plus custody. Arrest without custody is almost useless and detrimental in investigation, especially when that offending soldier is transferred back to US, which happened too often in the past. Hence I suggest at least public military trial (and investigation) for every case (not for high profile only). Correct me if I am wrong.
Last edited by Arpeji on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:32 am

Japan seems fine with it.
If the US wishes to pull out, i'd recommend they take the deal that the UK turned down when we left The Emirates.
(The UK was like ugh, 2 much moneys needed to do this, bye. The Emirates offered to pay for the soldiers salaries, training and equipment, we declined and gtfo. If japan makes that offer, the US should take it.)
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:29 am

Arpeji wrote:
NERVUN wrote:That's not true. SOFA allows the US to maintain custody of US troops until charges are filed. This can cause problems with Japanese investigations (Which in turn is another issue given Japanese police powers). However, in event of serious crimes, the US can wave this and hand people over.

Could you explain what issue happens with Japanese police powers? I think SOFA as territorial rights. Main problem, as far as I understand, is that Japanese Police needs to hand over based on SOFA rather than allowing local arrest or you can say it as arrest plus custody. Arrest without custody is almost useless and detrimental in investigation, especially when that offending soldier is transferred back to US, which happened too often in the past. Hence I suggest at least public military trial (and investigation) for every case (not for high profile only). Correct me if I am wrong.

In Japan, police can detain you for 72 hours prior to any charges being filed. They can extend to 20 days if they request it of a judge (Which is almost always granted). During the time of your detainment, police can question you non-stop at any time, day or night, and can do so without your lawyer present (Lawyers are involved only when they actually charge you with something) and mostly un-video tapped as well.

Pretty much police in Japan have one month to wring a confession out of you. They're very good at doing so, most of the time they get one, thus 98% conviction rate. Needless to say, this makes the US slightly nervous in terms of its troops (Its citizens are another matter, the embassy couldn't care less). It's why one should NOT get arrested in Japan.

Now, mind you, this isn't to say that US troops don't take advantage of SOFA either. From how I understand it, troops are not supposed to be rotated anywhere until after they have been cleared. However, certain individuals will kinda 'forget' to tell their SO that they're under investigation.

The other problem being that if Japanese police do not bring charges due to the victim declining to press them, or evidence being unclear (The DA in Japan tend to be very conservative, they normally do not bring charges unless they're well satisfied that they'll win, it's why they like confessions too), the US won't hand them over either.

Ostroeuropa wrote:Japan seems fine with it.
If the US wishes to pull out, i'd recommend they take the deal that the UK turned down when we left The Emirates.
(The UK was like ugh, 2 much moneys needed to do this, bye. The Emirates offered to pay for the soldiers salaries, training and equipment, we declined and gtfo. If japan makes that offer, the US should take it.)

Doing so, the US is attempting to stick Japan with the bill to move the bulk of the Marines to Guam.
Last edited by NERVUN on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Info correction
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:31 am

NERVUN wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:Japan seems fine with it.

Doing so, the US is attempting to stick Japan with the bill to move the bulk of the Marines to Guam.

As a resident, would you support that?
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:33 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
NERVUN wrote:

Nope. If Japan wants the troops gone, they should go. However, if the US is going to move them, Japan shouldn't be stuck with the bill. I'm also not thrilled that the US is making Japan pay for the bases either.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Florinia
Envoy

Founded: Oct 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Florinia » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:37 am

I'm good with maintaining the troops.

They could be used a fast response force and making sure what happened does not happen again.

Are you familiar with the Korean War, when the US troops in Japan were quickly mobilized to support the US Eight Army in South Korea. I think that it is a good move to maintain the troops there to make sure that communism doesn't spread again.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:38 am

NERVUN wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

Nope. If Japan wants the troops gone, they should go. However, if the US is going to move them, Japan shouldn't be stuck with the bill. I'm also not thrilled that the US is making Japan pay for the bases either.

I agree that if Japan wants them gone they should go.
But if they don't want them gone, and want them to stay, should they be expected to pay at least some of the bill? I think they should.
I also agree expecting Japan to pay for the movement of US troops to OUTSIDE Japan is unfair.
Ostro.MOV

Atlantisea
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlantisea » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:52 am

I personally believe that we should take our presence out of Okinawa, and let the Japanese protect it. We should withdraw all forces from Okinawa and a good portion of them out of Japan, but not all. We should also keep Military bases at both these locations handy, in case we ever had to come back. Although Japan's constitution does not let them have a powerful arm, I'm sure they can continue the loophole and build a navy fleet and army large enough to protect itself from an attack from any nation. The United States can easily sell these military supplies are cheaply as possible without losing profit. Win-win. Tons of equipment and supplies bought from the United States, less spending in the Military because there's less troops overseas, and out comes a powerful Japan.

We should only leave on the condition though, that Okinawa and Japan have their stable militaries, and instead of bringing our troops all the way back home, we should leave a good amount of troops in Hawaii (I know it's militarized, but we should militarize it more. It's an American state that's very close to Japan, Okinawa, and North Korea relative to the continental U.S. Also, we should also have airfields on the Mariana Islands.

Edit: Hey, is there anyway to change "Political Communist" from my icon? Not even close to a communist.
Last edited by Atlantisea on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:07 am

NERVUN wrote:
Arpeji wrote:

In Japan, police can detain you for 72 hours prior to any charges being filed. They can extend to 20 days if they request it of a judge (Which is almost always granted). During the time of your detainment, police can question you non-stop at any time, day or night, and can do so without your lawyer present (Lawyers are involved only when they actually charge you with something) and mostly un-video tapped as well.

Pretty much police in Japan have one month to wring a confession out of you. They're very good at doing so, most of the time they get one, thus 98% conviction rate. Needless to say, this makes the US slightly nervous in terms of its troops (Its citizens are another matter, the embassy couldn't care less). It's why one should NOT get arrested in Japan.

You forgot the part where when the police are not talking to you, your in solitary confinement and you have no idea how long you've been there.
Ive read people who have come out of there without confessing thought they had been there for months.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Ralkovia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 29, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralkovia » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:21 am

greed and death wrote:
New England and The Maritimes wrote:Is there really no possible way to get more babies in Japan?

Get the men to start helping with the kids and the house, get the employer to stop forcing the men to go out drinking every night, all and all get rid of the sexism rampant in Japan.

The sexism isn't the problem. Fact of the matter is the second that women can have careers, birthrates take a dive. Now a days its about money. The women who stay at home have more children then those who don't. In Japan, right now its about women choosing between having a family or having a career. Many choose career.
Spig: Ralk, what is ur Zionist Jewnazi Agenda?
Ralk: PROLIFERATE POTATO
Divair: this is the first time I've literally just stopped doing everything just to stare at a post.
Kirav wrote:This is NationStates. Our Jews live in Ralkovia.

Maudlnya wrote:You guys talking about Ralkovia?
*mutters something about scariness up to 11*

Ralk: I have stacks on stacks and racks on racks of slaves.
BlueHorizons: It sounds like you're doing a commercial for the most morbid children's board game ever, Ralk. :<
Releign wrote:
Leningrad Union: Help me against Ralkovia

That's a Jew octopus with a machine gun.
I think I will pass.
Lyras:You know, you're a sick fuck, yes?
New_Edom:you're so coy Ralk. You're the shyest of dictators.
More Funny/Intimidating Quotes About Me Short Summary On Ralkovian Policies.

Ralkovia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 29, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralkovia » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:28 am

NERVUN wrote:
The Old South wrote:
I thought amending it was implied, but anywho, the demographics issue in Japan is so dire that they can't provide volunteers for self-defense? Must be funny to have 127 million people but not enough youth to serve. Water, water everywhere... :p

There are more people over 60 than under 15 in Japan. Currently the number of children born per woman is less than one, far under just replacement (Which is 2.2). Pretty much by the next century, Japan will have halved its population.

As the economy drops and Japanese standard of living goes down, the population will probably rise again. To be honest, I think its just cyclical.

Education and standard of living have a lot to do with birthrates.
Spig: Ralk, what is ur Zionist Jewnazi Agenda?
Ralk: PROLIFERATE POTATO
Divair: this is the first time I've literally just stopped doing everything just to stare at a post.
Kirav wrote:This is NationStates. Our Jews live in Ralkovia.

Maudlnya wrote:You guys talking about Ralkovia?
*mutters something about scariness up to 11*

Ralk: I have stacks on stacks and racks on racks of slaves.
BlueHorizons: It sounds like you're doing a commercial for the most morbid children's board game ever, Ralk. :<
Releign wrote:
Leningrad Union: Help me against Ralkovia

That's a Jew octopus with a machine gun.
I think I will pass.
Lyras:You know, you're a sick fuck, yes?
New_Edom:you're so coy Ralk. You're the shyest of dictators.
More Funny/Intimidating Quotes About Me Short Summary On Ralkovian Policies.

Nidaria
Senator

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nidaria » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:33 am

Florinia wrote:I'm good with maintaining the troops.

They could be used a fast response force and making sure what happened does not happen again.

Are you familiar with the Korean War, when the US troops in Japan were quickly mobilized to support the US Eight Army in South Korea. I think that it is a good move to maintain the troops there to make sure that communism doesn't spread again.

The Far East has cooled down to the point where any conflict in the near future is unlikely. The North Koreans only posed a threat when they had Russia and China actively on their side. Now, I doubt North Korea could take on even South Korea alone. Also, neither North Korea nor China are communist. North Korea officially has a Juche system, while China has a laissez-faire economy (though their political and social policies have communist origins and leanings).
"He who denies the existence of God has some reason for wishing that God did not exist." --St. Augustine
"There is only one difference between genius and stupidity: genius has limits." --Albert Einstein
"When statesmen forsake their own private conscience for the sake of their public duties... they lead their country by a short route to chaos." --St. Thomas More
Anti-gay, Pro-life, Traditionalist, Libertarian, Non-interventionist, Loyal Roman Catholic
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic 25%
Secular/Fundamentalist 67%
Visionary/Reactionary 21%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian 6%
Communist/Capitalist 41%
Pacifist/Militaristic 7%
Ecological/Anthropocentric 52%

Socialdemokraterne
Minister

Founded: Dec 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Socialdemokraterne » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:01 pm

NERVUN wrote:Nope. If Japan wants the troops gone, they should go. However, if the US is going to move them, Japan shouldn't be stuck with the bill. I'm also not thrilled that the US is making Japan pay for the bases either.

I can bend it around in my mind that the Japanese would have to pay for continued US military presence within their borders if I try really hard and convince myself that US military protection is a commodity to be bought and sold. Having the Japanese pay for the US to uproot and leave, not so much.
A social democracy following a variant of the Nordic model of the European welfare state composed of a union of Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Greenland, Denmark, Sleswig-Holstein, and a bit of Estonia.

Leder du måske efter en dansk region? Dansk!

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:00 pm

Ralkovia wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Get the men to start helping with the kids and the house, get the employer to stop forcing the men to go out drinking every night, all and all get rid of the sexism rampant in Japan.

The sexism isn't the problem. Fact of the matter is the second that women can have careers, birthrates take a dive. Now a days its about money. The women who stay at home have more children then those who don't. In Japan, right now its about women choosing between having a family or having a career. Many choose career.

Because keeping women barefoot and pregnant is a worthwhile goal and women shouldn't bother to have any aspirations beyond being a good wife and wise mother, amiright?

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:02 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Ralkovia wrote:

Because keeping women barefoot and pregnant is a worthwhile goal and women shouldn't bother to have any aspirations beyond being a good wife and wise mother, amiright?

It certainly worked for i don't know up until what a century or two ago?

Don't say i agree with it i just understand why the mindset persists.
National Imperialist-Freedom Party

Proud member of the stone wall alliance

Agent Maine: of NSG's Official Project Freelancer

[Fires of the Old Republic Role Play]http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=239203

Sardine World
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sardine World » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:04 pm

maintain

when you liberals cant get new technology because all the asians are dead, dont come crying to me
Economic Left/Right: 6.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.05
Updated 3/22/15

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Sardine World wrote:maintain

when you liberals cant get new technology because all the asians are dead, dont come crying to me

:rofl: I agree completely by the way but the way you worded it was certainly entertaining.

[Fires of the Old Republic Role Play]http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=239203

Indira
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Indira » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:17 pm

Pretty sure those sources support tougher discipline for US forces based overseas and in the case of countries like Japan and Western Europe, allow those countries to try those who commit crimes. As for staying, well I really don't care that much one way or the other, but if I recall correctly (Can't remember where I read it) Japan's economy is much stronger for having the US presence

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Indira wrote:Pretty sure those sources support tougher discipline for US forces based overseas and in the case of countries like Japan and Western Europe, allow those countries to try those who commit crimes. As for staying, well I really don't care that much one way or the other, but if I recall correctly (Can't remember where I read it) Japan's economy is much stronger for having the US presence

Military bases are pretty good for economies tis true; Lots of personal to blow money on local stuff after all and you just need to leave base to find relaxation.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:43 pm

The Zeonic States wrote:
NERVUN wrote:Because keeping women barefoot and pregnant is a worthwhile goal and women shouldn't bother to have any aspirations beyond being a good wife and wise mother, amiright?

It certainly worked for i don't know up until what a century or two ago?

Don't say i agree with it i just understand why the mindset persists.

The ironic thing is, it's been noted that Japan, still struggling with a weak economy, could boost its GDP by 20% if they would allow women to continue to work.

The Land of Pennywise the Dancing Clown
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land of Pennywise the Dancing Clown » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:00 pm

The United States should withdraw their forces from Japan. Japan isn't their responsibility and the United States should stop being interventionist.

Sardine World
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sardine World » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:03 pm

The Land of Pennywise the Dancing Clown wrote:The United States should withdraw their forces from Japan. Japan isn't their responsibility and the United States should stop being interventionist.

yes because we all know that a country thats 50x the size of japan and is power hungry, and isnt very far WONT destroy them
Economic Left/Right: 6.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.05
Updated 3/22/15

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:05 pm

Sardine World wrote:
The Land of Pennywise the Dancing Clown wrote:The United States should withdraw their forces from Japan. Japan isn't their responsibility and the United States should stop being interventionist.

yes because we all know that a country thats 50x the size of japan and is power hungry, and isnt very far WONT destroy them

It won't.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General