NATION

PASSWORD

Officer 'threatened' by naked man... shoots to kill.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Officer 'threatened' by naked man... shoots to kill.

Postby JuNii » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:30 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/friends-baffled-k ... 54839.html

MOBILE, Ala. (AP) — Classmates and friends are questioning why a police officer fatally shot a University of South Alabama freshman who was naked and had been banging on a window at police headquarters.

Campus officials didn't give any indication that Gil Collar, 18, of Wetumpka had a weapon when he was shot. A university spokesman said he was fatally wounded about 1:30 a.m. Saturday after an officer heard a bang on a window and went outside to investigate.

A statement issued by university spokesman Keith Ayers said Collar, who wrestled at Wetumpka High School before enrolling at South Alabama, assumed a "fighting stance" and chased an officer before being shot. The officer tried to retreat numerous times to defuse the situation before opening fire, the school said.

But sophomore Tyler Kendrick said campus authorities haven't provided any satisfying answers about why Collar was killed.

"Really, it just upsets me that there's no other way to apprehend an unarmed student rather than shooting him. I don't understand that," Kendrick said.

Student Joshua Frye said it seemed the officer could have used something other than a firearm to stop Collar.

"What I feel is that a cop has more than a gun," he said.

The officer was placed on paid leave, and an autopsy will determine if drugs or alcohol were involved.

Campus officials said the confrontation was recorded by security cameras. The video and other information has been turned over to the district attorney and the Mobile County Sheriff's Office, which will review the shooting.

Colgan Meanor went to high school with Collar and then enrolled at the same college.

"He was a great, loving guy who always made people smile," she said. "He's not the kind of guy that people knew him and said he would do something like this."

Collar was the second person killed on the South Alabama campus since last year.

A university freshman was charged with murder in the fatal stabbing of another teenager who was slain in an on-campus apartment in July 2011. The victim was a visitor to campus and was not enrolled, authorities said.

Ayers said South Alabama, located near downtown Mobile, was still "a very safe campus," despite Collar's death.

... so a police officer went to investigate a naked man pounding on the window at Police station, assumed a 'fighting stance' and apparently chased the officer a bit before being shot...

yeah... I think either drugs or alcohol was involved somewhere... but do you think this was a justified shooting?

for me, with the amount of information given... I would have to say yes... but that depends on what else an investigation turns up.
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Creative Vikings
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Creative Vikings » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:32 pm

Is it too late to revert to the last checkpoint?

Hardened Pyrokinetics
Powerbroker

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hardened Pyrokinetics » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:32 pm

He was naked.

That immediately invalidates any claims of being threatening. No weapons and either drunk or on drugs, and also naked with his gangly bits exposed? Yeah, not going to be a problem for a trained professional.
Ankh Mauta
Pope Joan wrote:I had a client who stole the magnetic flashing light from the top of a police car.

It was parked in front of his house because they were asking his parents about his theft of 100 pounds of copper wire from the high school.

Galloism wrote:I bet it takes a lot of weed to get stoned to death.

New Manvir wrote:Canada: We have flying bears.

greed and death wrote:It is a sad day when we criticize the President for honoring a solider who gave everything for his nation.

Olthar wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:... He's twenty.

He's also a moron.

Ralkovia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 29, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralkovia » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:35 pm

I'm betting he was probably a Pledge. He got fucked and good.
Spig: Ralk, what is ur Zionist Jewnazi Agenda?
Ralk: PROLIFERATE POTATO
Divair: this is the first time I've literally just stopped doing everything just to stare at a post.
Kirav wrote:This is NationStates. Our Jews live in Ralkovia.

Maudlnya wrote:You guys talking about Ralkovia?
*mutters something about scariness up to 11*

Ralk: I have stacks on stacks and racks on racks of slaves.
BlueHorizons: It sounds like you're doing a commercial for the most morbid children's board game ever, Ralk. :<
Releign wrote:
Leningrad Union: Help me against Ralkovia

That's a Jew octopus with a machine gun.
I think I will pass.
Lyras:You know, you're a sick fuck, yes?
New_Edom:you're so coy Ralk. You're the shyest of dictators.
More Funny/Intimidating Quotes About Me Short Summary On Ralkovian Policies.

Creative Vikings
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Creative Vikings » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:36 pm

Ralkovia wrote:I'm betting he was probably a Pledge. He got fucked and good.

Sure does explain the lack of modesty.

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:36 pm

Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:He was naked.

That immediately invalidates any claims of being threatening. No weapons and either drunk or on drugs, and also naked with his gangly bits exposed? Yeah, not going to be a problem for a trained professional.

That depends on physical size and nerve suppression.

And if the cop kept running back, it seems like he didn't have any viable non-lethal options.

Taser projectiles seem like a good investment now.
Founder of the Church of Ass.

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Ironic ain't it, now there really IS 47% of the country that feels like victims.

........fuck it, you win the internet.

Ralkovia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralkovia » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:37 pm

Creative Vikings wrote:
Ralkovia wrote:I'm betting he was probably a Pledge. He got fucked and good.

Sure does explain the lack of modesty.

Indeed. We'll probably find out he was a pledge. He was a freshmen after all.
Divair: this is the first time I've literally just stopped doing everything just to stare at a post.

BlueHorizons: It sounds like you're doing a commercial for the most morbid children's board game ever, Ralk. :<
Releign wrote:

I think I will pass.

Imperial Arcand
Spokesperson

Founded: May 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Arcand » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:39 pm

JuNii wrote:for me, with the amount of information given... I would have to say yes... but that depends on what else an investigation turns up.

. . . wut?

I agree with you, I mean, everyday many policeman and women are losing their lives to naked university students . .
. . if only there were another way to stop such offenders. Such as a gun that fires electricity, or a spray that could also be used as a [very nasty] food condiment.
Last edited by Imperial Arcand on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Palocris : A Post-Modern Region
Recruiting Now! Grab your region map slots whilst you can!
View our updated region maps : NationStates : Natural Resources

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:40 pm

Drugs can make people capable of some scary shit. Don't you remember the dude in Miami who ate a guy's face and took six bullets before going down?

However, more LTL options should be available to officers, I agree.
Last edited by The Grand World Order on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia
Peace sells, but who's buying? | Right is the new punk
A Better Class of Fascist
Got Discord? Add me at griff1337
Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.13
Amerikians: That sir, is one Epic Tank.
Altamirus: Behold the fascist God of War.
Aelosia: Shiiiiit, you are hot. More pics, I demand.

Aksun
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aksun » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:40 pm

Creative Vikings wrote:Is it too late to revert to the last checkpoint?

Well the difficulty was not on Legendary, so yeah it is NOT too late.

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:41 pm

This.

Aksun
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aksun » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:41 pm

The Grand World Order wrote:

Drugs can make people capable of some scary shit. Don't you remember the dude in Miami who ate a guy's face and took six bullets before going down?

Correct me if I am wrong, but LSD was the drug that did that right? So if the student was naked then the odds are he had a drug that made him hot.

Hardened Pyrokinetics
Powerbroker

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hardened Pyrokinetics » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:42 pm

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:

That depends on physical size and nerve suppression.

And if the cop kept running back, it seems like he didn't have any viable non-lethal options.

Taser projectiles seem like a good investment now.

Hi, welcome to self-defense 101. First lesson: Pressure Point Control Techniques.

Not sure how it is down in the States, but here in Canada security professionals and police are required to learn PPCT's, in addition to other non-lethal ways of taking someone to the ground with their bare hands. No taser, pepper spray, or even baton required.

Also, if the cop went outside with his gun, at night, he should have taken at least his flashlight.
Ankh Mauta
Pope Joan wrote:I had a client who stole the magnetic flashing light from the top of a police car.

It was parked in front of his house because they were asking his parents about his theft of 100 pounds of copper wire from the high school.

Galloism wrote:I bet it takes a lot of weed to get stoned to death.

New Manvir wrote:Canada: We have flying bears.

greed and death wrote:It is a sad day when we criticize the President for honoring a solider who gave everything for his nation.

Olthar wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:... He's twenty.

He's also a moron.

Ralkovia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralkovia » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 pm

However, more LTL options should be available to officers, I agree.

So does pledging.

"Pledge take 6 bullets."

Releign wrote:

I think I will pass.

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 pm

Aksun wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but LSD was the drug that did that right? So if the student was naked then the odds are he had a drug that made him hot.

Autopsy only turned up cannabis, oddly enough. Either way, it's impossible for an officer to know exactly what someone's on, only that they're naked in public and charging them.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:44 pm

A brilliant example of police responsibility and good judgment - an idol for his fellows to aspire to.

On that note, let's book 'em.
Last edited by Nationstatelandsville on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:47 pm

I'd rather wait for more information, but from how it sounds, the officer tried to get him to stop, repeatedly, and he responded with his most readily available option. Whether or not that's justified is to be determined. Perhaps he could have used less force.
password scrambled

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:47 pm

Aksun wrote:

Autopsy only turned up cannabis, oddly enough. Either way, it's impossible for an officer to know exactly what someone's on, only that they're naked in public and charging them.

So he didn't take enough weed to save his life and chill, but just enough to impair brain function to the point that he charges butt nekkid at an officer with a pistol.

As a person with experience with potheads, that doesn't add up.
Founder of the Church of Ass.

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Ironic ain't it, now there really IS 47% of the country that feels like victims.

........fuck it, you win the internet.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:48 pm

Aksun wrote:

In a situation like that, it's best to assume that they're on something that will make them much more difficult to apprehend, such as angel dust.
Edit: And can we chalk this one up to "Reefer madness"?
Last edited by Condunum on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
password scrambled

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:48 pm

Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:Hi, welcome to self-defense 101. First lesson: Pressure Point Control Techniques.

Not sure how it is down in the States, but here in Canada security professionals and police are required to learn PPCT's, in addition to other non-lethal ways of taking someone to the ground with their bare hands. No taser, pepper spray, or even baton required.

Also, if the cop went outside with his gun, at night, he should have taken at least his flashlight.

Have fun trying to go hand-to-hand with someone hopped up on so many drugs that they're capable of throwing their own intestines at you...

Not saying that's what happened here, but from the officer's point of view, it's certainly likely that the subject was under the influence of something pretty powerful, and all he could quantify was that they were combative.
Basque American

Leonische
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Leonische » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:51 pm

Maybe a bit overreaction, but he threatened an officer after all. If a naked man is running at me, I'll be scared like shit and trow anything close to my hand at him; and if I appear to have a gun, I wouldn't be calm enough to consider another option.

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:52 pm

So he didn't take enough weed to save his life and chill, but just enough to impair brain function to the point that he charges butt nekkid at an officer with a pistol.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/2 ... 32253.html

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/06/27/me ... ath-salts/

I'm speaking of the Miami incident, not necessarily this one. I'm just going by what the ME said.
Basque American

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:57 pm

As a person who's admitted experience with the drug in question, it happens.
password scrambled

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:55 am

Charge of manslaughter most likely and most deservedly.

inb4 fuck the police
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:04 am

A naked man was able to eat someone's face.

Shit people, we just had this problem a few months ago. How short is your attention span?
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General