NATION

PASSWORD

New forum offense: Trollnaming

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:12 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:This rule is most likely going to back fire horribly on NSG
really, I still cannot see anything good coming from this I mean our board gets trolled easily and if the trolls posts just inside the line then it leaves us with only reporting and hoping moderation locks the thread.

I just hope that there's some other way people will realize that it's a troll thread before we get a 30 page thing of people getting mad trying to 'correct' the troll.

We're easy to troll because for some reason, NSG gets a morbid sense of joy out of it.

Honestly, this rule wouldn't be a problem if people stopped calling people trolls, reported the obvious trolls, and kindly notified the rest that their attitude is likely to cause a problem.
password scrambled

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:30 am

The Lone Alliance wrote:This rule is most likely going to back fire horribly on NSG
really, I still cannot see anything good coming from this I mean our board gets trolled easily and if the trolls posts just inside the line then it leaves us with only reporting and hoping moderation locks the thread.

I just hope that there's some other way people will realize that it's a troll thread before we get a 30 page thing of people getting mad trying to 'correct' the troll.

I reckon that "Nuke the Terrorists" thread proved exactly why trollnaming's being banned is good. Sure the trhead still got locked but I have no idea why but before the lock it seemed it was locked for derailing which shows that people weren't distracted by calling each other trolls.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:51 am

Condunum wrote:

We're easy to troll because for some reason, NSG gets a morbid sense of joy out of it.

Honestly, this rule wouldn't be a problem if people stopped calling people trolls, reported the obvious trolls, and kindly notified the rest that their attitude is likely to cause a problem.

I agree 100%

The only exception to this rule I might consider would be "don't feed the troll", although there's still plenty of alternatives.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:19 am

Esternial wrote:
Condunum wrote:

I agree 100%

The only exception to this rule I might consider would be "don't feed the troll", although there's still plenty of alternatives.

I have to agree with Neo on that one, though. Don't feed the troll has proven to be useful. Sometimes.
password scrambled

Eldritch Love
Envoy

Founded: Sep 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Eldritch Love » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:50 pm

Its still ok to apologize if you catch yourself making trollish statements though, right?
genesis 2:19
-And Jehovah God formeth from the ground every beast of the field, and every fowl of the heavens, and bringeth in unto the man, to see what he doth call it; and whatever the man calleth a living creature, that is its name.

Reality is defined by the observer. Our existence defines the Universe we live in.

Those who would sacrifice liberty in the pursuit of security deserve neither. - Benjamin Franklin

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:30 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:Moederation should be for when self policing fails.

I've never seen a self-policing post of "STFU you troll" cause a troll to back off. Ever.

What I have seen is erudite posters like Neo Art or Alien Space Bats utterly destroy trollish arguments with carefully crafted debate points. I've seen players who didn't intend to be trolls actually back off and consider those points, and in some cases even reverse themselves publicly. I smile when that happens. It's wonderful.

Calling someone a troll isn't advancing the debate. It's not self-policing. Those who unintentionally troll or have profound personal beliefs that others may consider trollish can hold reasonable discussions, even if they don't reverse themselves. Those who are here to intentionally troll can't be swayed by debate, and no amount of self-policing will convince an intentional troll to stop giggling at his monitor while posting more inflammatory remarks. It's the latter class who tend to meet the Hammer of Mod eventually, and we'd just as soon get to it when they start (via a Moderation report) than wade through 30 pages of trollnaming before somebody bothers to point us towards the thread.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:42 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:erudite posters like Neo Art

Are you calling me black?

(oh I so hope someone gets that)
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:54 am

Neo Art wrote:

nope, went over my head.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:14 am

Neo Art wrote:

Everquest is dead.

Gauntleted Fist
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauntleted Fist » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:39 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Neo Art wrote:

Everquest is dead.

No, it's just free to play.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:44 am

Gauntleted Fist wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Everquest is dead.

No, it's just free to play.

Everquest is dead was a meme at the time of WoW's birth.

Also, is mentioning Poe trollnaming if you say that "I'm not sure if this is Poe or not".

Gauntleted Fist
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauntleted Fist » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:46 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:Everquest is dead was a meme at the time of WoW's birth.

The reply is a recent joke about how MMOs don't die, they just go free to play. (You know, "Old soldiers never die" etc.)

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:48 am

Gauntleted Fist wrote:

The reply is a recent joke about how MMOs don't die, they just go free to play. (You know, "Old soldiers never die" etc.)

Shouldn't that be: "old MMOs go free to play, than they die"?
Yes, I'm looking at you CoH...
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:01 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Gauntleted Fist wrote:The reply is a recent joke about how MMOs don't die, they just go free to play. (You know, "Old soldiers never die" etc.)

Shouldn't that be: "old MMOs go free to play, than they die"?
Yes, I'm looking at you CoH...

You shut up! There's still time!
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:27 am

Ok, I read through this whole thread, so I may come over a bit dense, but I want to be sure of this, so I don't break rules out of ignorance in the future.

I have, previously, on threads that have obviously (well, obvious to me and most people posting on the thread) been flame/trollbaits, posted something to the effect of "I think the OP is just trying to troll, but here's my opinion". Some of the threads have turned into decent discussions, but usually only after the OP (who usually appears to be a puppet made just to post the controversial thread) has abandoned it.

Would that be now against the rules? Not directly calling the person a troll (and certainly not posting anything truly stupid as single-word reply), but stating I feel like they're trying to troll, in the same post that I'm trying to contribute to the discussion/debate at hand?

And I agree with some others that the "don't feed the troll" has been useful in the past, but I understand its function as an off-handed insult as well.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:32 am

Araraukar wrote:I have, previously, on threads that have obviously (well, obvious to me and most people posting on the thread) been flame/trollbaits, posted something to the effect of "I think the OP is just trying to troll, but here's my opinion". Some of the threads have turned into decent discussions, but usually only after the OP (who usually appears to be a puppet made just to post the controversial thread) has abandoned it.

Like all Moderation requests, it's a judgment call. What we're trying to eliminate here is the use of 'troll' (or even synonyms like 'Poe') as a substitute for debate. If you have a debate point, make it. If you haven't got anything to add, simply don't post. There's almost never a genuine need to say "I think this is a troll post" except in Moderation.

We'd like to eliminate multi-page threads where 90% of the posts are nothing more than trollnaming and snarky comments, rather than any meaningful debate. The attention generated keeps the deliberate trolls coming back time and again. A better anti-trolling solution is to report the troll in Moderation, and/or let the thread die a natural death from lack of responses.

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:23 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:We'd like to eliminate multi-page threads where 90% of the posts are nothing more than trollnaming and snarky comments, rather than any meaningful debate.

aaaaahhhhahahahahahahahahahahahahhhaaaaa yeah so this is no longer NSG hoorah!

(actually I understand the reasoning...fair enough. However I also think this is a neutering too far...but at the end of the day the decision does not lie with the user community)
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME TG's. MODERATORS READ YOUR TG's WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Flowers Call me Rubi for short or Vonners

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:26 am

Can't believe I didn't notice this before. Way to go, moderators!
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:28 am

Gauntleted Fist wrote:

Like Runescape.
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:30 am

Arcturus Novus wrote:
Gauntleted Fist wrote:The reply is a recent joke about how MMOs don't die, they just go free to play. (You know, "Old soldiers never die" etc.)

Like Runescape.

With the exception that A) 90% of it is still pay to play and B) Fris already told us to get back on topic.
Jormengand wrote:It would be really meta if I sigged this.

Terraveritas
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Terraveritas » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:57 pm

While I think calling a person "troll" for disagreeing with a point is usually childish nonsense, I do not agree with this rule or any other rule that punishes people for saying or writing anything, regardless of how childish the comment.

Part of the fun of the forums is getting into petty squabbles, and such...

What's next?

Perhaps people should be punished for disagreements altogether? Perhaps there should be a vetting system in place, so that people may only post in threads where they are in agreement with others?

Do what you have to do mods, but I think it is nonsense.

Felix Terra
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Felix Terra » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:00 pm

Terraveritas wrote:While I think calling a person "troll" for disagreeing with a point is usually childish nonsense, I do not agree with this rule or any other rule that punishes people for saying or writing anything, regardless of how childish the comment.

What's next?

Perhaps people should be punished for disagreements altogether? Perhaps there should be a vetting system in place, so that people may only post in threads where they are in agreement with others?

The slippery slope argument is a logical fallacy, isn't it?
why are you looking at a post from 2012 go home you're drunk

East Apikai is my main nation nowadays

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:51 pm

Felix Terra wrote:
Terraveritas wrote:While I think calling a person "troll" for disagreeing with a point is usually childish nonsense, I do not agree with this rule or any other rule that punishes people for saying or writing anything, regardless of how childish the comment.

What's next?

The slippery slope argument is a logical fallacy, isn't it?

Yes, it is, and this is a good case of it.
password scrambled

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:17 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:We'd like to eliminate multi-page threads where 90% of the posts are nothing more than trollnaming and snarky comments, rather than any meaningful debate. The attention generated keeps the deliberate trolls coming back time and again. A better anti-trolling solution is to report the troll in Moderation, and/or let the thread die a natural death from lack of responses.

Ty for the clearer definition. And good luck for the moderator team for getting things under control. :)
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General