NATION

PASSWORD

Houses of Thault: Character-Driven Storytelling (OOC/OPEN)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Odith
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Houses of Thault: Character-Driven Storytelling (OOC/OPEN)

Postby Odith » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:19 pm

I'm interested in running a character-driven storytelling RP using The Window system. The Window assumes three precepts:

1. "Everything about a Window character is described with adjectives rather than numbers."
2. "It is the actor's responsibility to play their role realistically."
3. "A good story is the central goal."

I'm looking for actors who are interested in collaborating together and with the storyteller (that'd be me) to tell a tale. What that tale is will largely be determined by the characters and their motivations. The setting in an unforgiving and savage fantasy city in Gar Province, the heart of an empire ruled for over a thousand years by monstrous dynasties, known as the Ku.

All characters will be human; more specifically Garmorgians. A little bit about Garmorgians is provided below:

Garmorgians value savagery, quick wits, competition, metals, and urbanization. The large cities of Gar Province are centers of tool-making, inventions, mathematical and alchemical research, luxury and commerce, and cutthroat politics. Although the empire is ruled absolutely by the ascendant Ku, many bureaucracies, city and regional councils, and provincial lordships exist in a state of flux. Power is taken through cunning, secrecy and assassination, and outright force. These lesser governments frequently engage in hostilities towards each other akin to gang warfare. Sarcasm and blunt insults are widely used. Among both men and women, bravado and boasting are common, although some Garmorgians gain power through silence and guarded secrets.

Religion
Ancestors are worshiped privately. In public, obeisance is given to the Ku. The divine emperor is known as the Nalg Ku. Biannual religious festivals honor the Gorgmarruth, a pantheon of ancient, other-worldly gods who show little interest in the affairs of the Empire, except as a plaything.

I plan to move slowly with this. Although I'd like to say I could move the story along every other day, realistically I can commit to posting once each week. I expect that some weeks I will be able to post more than others, but I can commit to posting at least once each week.

That should do for now. Please take a few moments to review the basics on The Window, if you are unfamiliar with the system. I chose this system because I am more interested in collaborating with others to tell a story rather than rolling dice and crunching game mechanics. To be clear: this is a RP for those interested in storytelling. You should embrace the three precepts outlined above and detailed at the given link if you are interested in participating.
Last edited by Odith on Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Anybody who is stupid enough to want to be remembered deserves to be forgotten right now."
-Gore Vidal

My nation is a caricature. Philosophically, I'm a cooperative anarchist. I live in the United States, though, so in practice I just vote Democrat and call it good. Political Compass.

Murgoth
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Murgoth » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:36 pm

tagged. looking into system now.
Merteth Ech, Tikcs murgoth
"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most, our one fellow and brother who most needed a friend yet had not a single one, the one sinner among us all who had the highest and clearest right to every Christian's daily and nightly prayers, for the plain and unassailable reason that his was the first and greatest need, he being among sinners the supremest?"
Mark Twain

The Quadruple Alliance
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Quadruple Alliance » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:38 pm

Sounds interesting. How would we roll??
My nation into a setting for a RPG video game that I am programming. If thou wishes to know more, click the link!!
Roleplaying as Third World. Please take all economic statistics from trackers and divide by ten.
Madness is a Virtue (Formerly Walrusfolk Eurarcta)!!

Murgoth
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Murgoth » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:51 pm

alright, looking good. will most likely play a plodding, slightly intelligent guardsmen with a skill with spears and a determination not to be caught in the machinations of the scheming upper class. are there any optional or special rules being used?
"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most, our one fellow and brother who most needed a friend yet had not a single one, the one sinner among us all who had the highest and clearest right to every Christian's daily and nightly prayers, for the plain and unassailable reason that his was the first and greatest need, he being among sinners the supremest?"
Mark Twain

Egrek
Envoy

Founded: Nov 29, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Egrek » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:28 pm

I would like to play a sturdy, sprightly, and simpleminded courier for a guild of smiths, with a knack for getting his cart of coal through tight spaces in crowded streets and a disposition to lend a hand to friends and strangers alike.
The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Egrek wrote:

You get THREE GOLD STARS for returning to the thread topic!
Gbrxpsykldnq wrote:... (Kudos to Egrek and Sierra Lobo for actually thinking.).
Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Egrek wrote:

This doesn't make sense at all.
Idealismania wrote:
Egrek wrote:Your reasoning is quite good. The only major dissagreement I have is with your premise:
Life is not an impersonal test. It is a chance to build a relationship with God. Finding God lasts a lifetime. Living with God lasts an eternity.

I like this reply a lot :clap:
Wisconsin7 wrote:And Egrek owns the [3] fifth graders souls.
I hereby commit the souls of the [3] fifth graders to God's care.

Murgoth
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Murgoth » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:34 pm

here is potential character, bar extra rules.

Wetclin Zehanarii

Born into a small merchant family, Wetclin looked forward to a life of modest wealth and education, despite his parents fearing that he was a “slow” child. This all changed when one of his fathers investements went catastrophically wrong, and soon the family was broke. His father killed himself within a year. Wetclin’s mother raised him as best she could, doing anything she could just to feed the rapidly growing child. She didn’t have the education to teach him things like math, but she taught him how to be a good person, and that’s all that mattered to her. One night she left the hovel she had built after the suicide and never returned.
Wetclin, 14 at the time, was already as tall as most grown men. The first few months after his mother left where spent in small time gangs, acting as muscle for hire. As soon as he could he found a job as a common laborer. It payed only about half what the gangs had, but he took it.
This continued until 18, when a passing city guard noticed him carrying several large bags of barley by himself. The guard offered Wetclin a job, and after several days of consideration Wetclin accepted.
Wetclin’s life has been fairly standard since then. He is now 27, an experienced gaurdsmen by many accounts. He has never shown himself to posess the initiative or quickness of thought required for a higher position, but his strength and skill at arms have made him a favorite amongst the higher-ups. The Gaurds are happy to have him, and he is happy to be in the guard. It’s a respectable, well paying job in which he is not forced to think terribly hard, and he can keep being a good person. Sure some of the gaurds aren’t great people, but Wetclin has managed to avoid them and their seedy activities, despite several offers. He’s kept the hovel his mother built and improved upon it over the years. Wetclin couldn’t ask for any more in life, and indeed has not.
However, the world threatens to destroy this peaceful life. Word of his skill and gullability has spread, and Wetclin is always attempting to stay a step ahead of those that would use him as a bad person. He knows that he isn’t educated like those that would use him, but he can try. He also knows that one day, they’ll trick him so good he won’t even know he’s doing something wrong. Wetlcin dreads that day.
strongest man he knows (d6)
agile enough for the job (d10)
tough like a brick house (d8)
don’t know much about anything (d20)
knows how to see what’s up (d12)
uneducated simpleton (d30)
astounding spearsmen (d6)
trained swordsman (d10)
drunken brawler (d10)
adequate clubber (d12)
stolid in faith (d8)
slow on the uptake (d20)
big fella (d8)
able to keep house (d12)
lovable oaf (d12)
possessions on person (on duty):
weathered but well maintained spear
dented short sword
fresh club after last one broke
several coins for drinks or other petty things
small pocket book. It is, in fact, a ledger of his fathers. He can’t read it and doesn’t know what it says, but it is the only thing of his father’s he has. Kept hidden from others.
Hardened leather leggings, vest, helmet, and boots. Chainmail torso
Small dagger, hiddin underneath leather vest
Possessions not on person (at home):
Small amount of money buried under cot.
Cot
Small chest for various personal baubles and trinkets, bought from various traders and stores across the city.
Two sets of extra shirt and pants. One pair of leather shoes.
Small woodstove, self installed
Broom
Pantry located in self-dug basement. Also hidden under cot.
Mark Twain

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:21 am

The Quadruple Alliance wrote:Sounds interesting. How would we roll??

I thought we'd use invisible castle for die rolls, but I'm open to suggestions.
"Anybody who is stupid enough to want to be remembered deserves to be forgotten right now."
-Gore Vidal

My nation is a caricature. Philosophically, I'm a cooperative anarchist. I live in the United States, though, so in practice I just vote Democrat and call it good. Political Compass.

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 29, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:23 am

I'm in if it gets interesting...but isn't strange to use roll when rule one is no numbers??? :blink:
OVERLORD Daniel Mercury of Firstaria
Original Author of SC #5 and SC #30

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:29 am

Murgoth wrote:alright, looking good. will most likely play a plodding, slightly intelligent guardsmen with a skill with spears and a determination not to be caught in the machinations of the scheming upper class.

I'd planned on putting a call out for character applications later; this initial post was intended to gauge interest. It is nice to see that there are a few people interested already, and Murgoth, you get an extra point for zeal and initiative. I've looked over your proposed character. I'll have more to say about characters a bit later.

Murgoth wrote:are there any optional or special rules being used?

This is my first time running the Window, btw. I am considering using the optional sanity trait. I'll probably also bring in experience, as imo that's fairly essential to an RPG.
Last edited by Odith on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Gore Vidal

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:32 am

Egrek wrote:I would like to play a sturdy, sprightly, and simpleminded courier for a guild of smiths, with a knack for getting his cart of coal through tight spaces in crowded streets and a disposition to lend a hand to friends and strangers alike.

I can't tell if you intended for me to take this seriously or if it's a joke. If you had intended for me to take it seriously, I will. On the other hand, if it's intended as a joke, I get it. A little bit of both, perhaps?

As noted above, I will call for character apps a bit later, once I see some more interest. I'm looking for between 4-6 actors for this one.
-Gore Vidal

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:37 am

Firstaria wrote:I'm in if it gets interesting...but isn't strange to use roll when rule one is no numbers??? :blink:

Exactly right you are. There are die mechanics in The Window, as detailed below, but I'd like to take a sparing approach to die rolls.

So, how does the system work? If Dr. Jenner attempts something particularly challenging during the course of the story, the Storyteller might ask for a roll. Notice that each trait or skill has a die listed alongside it in parenthesis; if you were playing Dr. Jenner in such a situation, you would roll the die listed next to the appropriate ability.

If you roll a 6 or less, Dr. Jenner succeeds in his task. Otherwise he fails.

If Dr. Jenner were competing directly with someone, you would again roll the die associated with the appropriate ability. Your opponent would also roll.

Whoever rolls less wins. In there's a tie, there's a tie.

Above info from the Quick Start.
-Gore Vidal

Egrek
Envoy

New York Times Democracy

Postby Egrek » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:17 pm

Odith wrote:
Egrek wrote:I would like to play a sturdy, sprightly, and simpleminded courier for a guild of smiths, with a knack for getting his cart of coal through tight spaces in crowded streets and a disposition to lend a hand to friends and strangers alike.

I can't tell if you intended for me to take this seriously or if it's a joke. If you had intended for me to take it seriously, I will. On the other hand, if it's intended as a joke, I get it. A little bit of both, perhaps?

As noted above, I will call for character apps a bit later, once I see some more interest. I'm looking for between 4-6 actors for this one.

It was a quick, but serious, sketch meant to show interest.

I wanted the character to be Garmogian at heart, hence working for the smiths, and have a personality that would be easy to get him involved in the storyline, hence his helpfulness to strangers.

I am also thinking he should have grown up in a baker's family and took the courier job when he could not get a metalworking apprenticeship.

I read through the Window, and will keep tinkering with the character until you call for apps with actual instructions. If you have specific ideas for him, or if it is apparent I got something completely wrong, let me know.
Last edited by Egrek on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Egrek wrote:

Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Egrek wrote:

Idealismania wrote:
Egrek wrote:Your reasoning is quite good. The only major dissagreement I have is with your premise:
Life is not an impersonal test. It is a chance to build a relationship with God. Finding God lasts a lifetime. Living with God lasts an eternity.

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:06 pm

Egrek wrote:It was a quick, but serious, sketch meant to show interest.

Okay, great! :)

Egrek wrote:I wanted the character to be Garmogian at heart, hence working for the smiths, and have a personality that would be easy to get him involved in the storyline, hence his helpfulness to strangers.

...if it is apparent I got something completely wrong, let me know.

I wouldn't say that you've gotten anything "wrong"; if anything, I haven't provided enough information about the setting yet. We have a couple of good-hearted peasant folk proposed as characters so far. Do keep in mind that this society is very cruel. Savage is the word I used earlier, and that was intentional. Garmorgian society is savage in the sense that it is intentionally cruel and fierce. Humans have been beholden to the Ku for over a millennium, and that time in which it has literally been ruled by monsters has shaped this race in terrible ways. One would be hard-pressed to find someone with a heart of gold. In that context, then, a character who goes out of his way to help "friend and strangers alike" doesn't fit well. Someone like that would be considered very naive in this society, and that naivety would likely be dispelled through violence -- repeated violence, if necessary. I'm not saying that the character would be attacked for being naive, but that his naivety would make him a target; the violence perpetuated against him would not be because he is naive as much as it would be a consequence of that naivety. All of this is simply to say, "fair warning." I won't directly stop you from playing someone like this, but I will require that the character be young, and you should expect that much of his story, initially at least, will deal with hardening his personality until it is more in-line with the savagery of the culture. If he were to persist in his genial naivety, the character would very likely meet a violent end. Think of it as a natural consequence of the culture.

A similar critique stands for Murgoth's character Wetclin Zehanarii. The proposal states that Wetclin's mother "taught him how to be a good person." An upbringing like that is highly unlikely. Again, I'm not barring this character, but driving home the point that this is a savage, immoral, and corrupt society.

I should also say that I am not looking for a troupe of Drizzt Do'Urdens. Can your character have morals? Okay, sure. But I also expect him or her to be corrupt in some way. Try to transcend the cliche of heroes and villains. Think anti-hero. When I put the call out for characters, I will be looking for individuals with drives and motivations that fit within the imperial society of Garmorg.

But I still haven't provided enough information about the society itself. I will. Stay tuned and I will try to post more info by the weekend.

Thanks to those of you who have shown or expressed interest; I hope that interest continues and that the above critiques are taken as the guidelines they are intended to be and not interpreted personally.

:)
Last edited by Odith on Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Gore Vidal

Murgoth
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Murgoth » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:19 pm

fair enough. pehaps when he was taught to be a "good person", it was in a more garmorgian sytle. also, I created my character partially so he would survive long enough to have his little world shatter under the pressure of the real world. still, I could probably stand to make him a bit grittier after so many years. I'm sure being a gaurd is plenty bloody enough. as a note, what would a guard be in this paticular city, and what kind of stuff would they be doing?
Mark Twain

Egrek
Envoy

New York Times Democracy

Postby Egrek » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:31 pm

Excellent, thank you! So, savagery is more than flavor in Gar Province; it is at the core of being and a way of life.
Korvin’s childhood was just like any other Garmorgian's, savage. He often struggled with his siblings and he grew up scrawny. He got the idea into his head that things would be better if only he did not become a baker like his parents. At age 12 he began looking for an apprenticeship among the metalworkers and was denied over and over with the utmost savageness and distain. At 14 he finally got a job out of the kitchen, but as a lowly coal pusher. He was beaten by the foreman when he delivered slowly, beaten by his father if his pay was trimmed, beaten by guards if his coal cart impeded a carriage, and beaten by street gangs just for being in their neighbourhood.
Now at the age of 17 Korvin is still on the small side, but no longer a pathetic runt. He moves coal like clockwork; he pays his father for room and board and has a little left over to hide; he dashes in front of traffic like a squirrel; and most thugs ask if he wants to join their gang, for a small fee, before they beat him up.
Still on the bottom of the heap Korvin has seen that hard work is not good enough, you need to fight to get to the top, and he is prepared to do just that.
Last edited by Egrek on Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Egrek wrote:

Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Egrek wrote:

Idealismania wrote:

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:50 pm

Murgoth wrote:pehaps when he was taught to be a "good person", it was in a more garmorgian sytle.

That would work. Let's call it "successful citizen" or something like that, rather than "good person".

Murgoth wrote:also, I created my character partially so he would survive long enough to have his little world shatter under the pressure of the real world.

Okay, good.

Murgoth wrote:still, I could probably stand to make him a bit grittier after so many years.

Yes.

Murgoth wrote:I'm sure being a gaurd is plenty bloody enough. as a note, what would a guard be in this paticular city, and what kind of stuff would they be doing?

I'm thinking that, given the political struggles within the cities, there really would not be a stable, centralized force of guards. Instead, different organizations would have their own guards, or thugs, or soldiers, or what-have-you. I'll work on a list of organizations once I settle on a particular city in the region. As far as what kind of stuff a guard would do, the bottom line is that they would protect the interests of whatever organization employed them. This may mean guarding transports of expensive goods from city to city, or guarding warehouses of similar goods; or it could mean running a protection racket -- extortion; it could also mean guarding important persons or property; it could mean following orders to run a military-style operation against an opposing organization or participate in an intelligence operation. Loyalty would be paramount for such a character.
-Gore Vidal

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:24 am

Egrek wrote:Excellent, thank you! So, savagery is more than flavor in Gar Province; it is at the core of being and a way of life.
Korvin’s childhood was just like any other Garmorgian's, savage. He often struggled with his siblings and he grew up scrawny. He got the idea into his head that things would be better if only he did not become a baker like his parents. At age 12 he began looking for an apprenticeship among the metalworkers and was denied over and over with the utmost savageness and distain. At 14 he finally got a job out of the kitchen, but as a lowly coal pusher. He was beaten by the foreman when he delivered slowly, beaten by his father if his pay was trimmed, beaten by guards if his coal cart impeded a carriage, and beaten by street gangs just for being in their neighbourhood.
Now at the age of 17 Korvin is still on the small side, but no longer a pathetic runt. He moves coal like clockwork; he pays his father for room and board and has a little left over to hide; he dashes in front of traffic like a squirrel; and most thugs ask if he wants to join their gang, for a small fee, before they beat him up.
Still on the bottom of the heap Korvin has seen that hard work is not good enough, you need to fight to get to the top, and he is prepared to do just that.

Okay, getting there, but still needs work. I'd like you to wait until I can provide some more concrete details about the city before writing anything else. Again, I haven't put out a call for characters yet, so you and Murgoth are jumping the gun here.

Questions about the setting are more than welcome, as that kind of discussion helps me to flesh out details and gives me a sense of what potential players are thinking. While I am interested in having a discussion with interested players about character types, it's still too early to be writing up character sheets or biographies.

I still am looking for between 4-6 players ("actors", in The Window).
-Gore Vidal

The Quadruple Alliance
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Quadruple Alliance » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:40 am

Looks like there's four potential players.
My nation into a setting for a RPG video game that I am programming. If thou wishes to know more, click the link!!
Roleplaying as Third World. Please take all economic statistics from trackers and divide by ten.
Madness is a Virtue (Formerly Walrusfolk Eurarcta)!!

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:03 am

I kinda lost the lore...

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:16 am

The Quadruple Alliance wrote:Looks like there's four potential players.

Good to know you are still interested. Wasn't sure if you were still following the thread or not. Any questions for me?
-Gore Vidal

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:17 am

Firstaria wrote:I kinda lost the lore...

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:17 am

Questions? Ask away.

-Gore Vidal

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:35 am

Odith wrote:

Questions? Ask away.

What is exactly the setting we're gonna play?

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:55 am

Firstaria wrote:]What is exactly the setting we're gonna play?

Odith wrote:I still haven't provided enough information about the society itself. I will. Stay tuned and I will try to post more info by the weekend.

I will try to get something definitive up ASAP, and definitely by the weekend.
Last edited by Odith on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Gore Vidal

Egrek
Envoy

New York Times Democracy

Postby Egrek » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Improvement is what I am working for, little steps. Now for some questions:

Do we need to sign up as actors on The Window website?

What is the technology level?
I was assuming about 15th century Europe level, possibly some supernatural powers available only to the Ku, but to no one else.
Edit: I could be dead wrong, but nothing yet has screamed to me, "High-tech laser rifles!"

How homogenous is the society?
Does each citizen have both brutality and cunning, or are there some segments of society who understand only force and others that understand only cunning with only a few who use both?

What is the societal structure?
The feeling I get is: At the top there is the Ku. You do what the Ku says do. What kind of monster is the Ku? How do the other levels of government interact with the Ku? Is this RP set in the capital city or a different one?
In rural areas there are lords, each with a military force of some kind to make sure their peasants, land, and craftsmen stay their peasants, land, and craftsmen; or to steal those of others. What, and how many, nearby lords might recruit assassins or guards from the city of this RP?
In each city there could be one, or hundreds of political and non-political entities telling the lower classes what to do, and doing what they can to shut up their competition. What are the major forces in our city? Councils? Gangs? Guilds?

I am looking forward to see your take on these topics.
Last edited by Egrek on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Egrek wrote:

Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Egrek wrote:

Idealismania wrote:

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse