NATION

PASSWORD

Zwangzug newswires

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Zwangzug newswires

Postby Zwangzug » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:23 pm

(OOC: Catch-all thread for Zwangzug political news, etc. Also, this thread would be much better with different fonts. But alas.)

Parliament votes down Afjuopu proposal

By 34 votes to 26, the Parliament declined to classify the contested Zebra Isles as a "region of special protection" after the Wezeltonian army occupied the archipelago once again. Although most of the troops have departed, with those remaining viewed as mainly a symbolic threat, it appears unlikely that serious diplomatic talks will resume any time in the near future.

The RSP designation was introduced into law in the spring of 2008, as one of Composite Minister Wainwright's attempts to prioritize national security. However, no part of Zwangzug has actually been classified as an RSP to date, and it remains unclear what would happen if the designation was granted. The forgotten law was brought to light by representatives from the Afjuopu company, based in Cham. If authorized to do so, they would have sent a private security force to the Isles.

While admitting that any such delegation would also have been effectively symbolic as well, Afjuopu representative Louisa Gelt pointed to the obvious pride Wezeltonians purportedly feel from their "claim" while stressing that they were not a military organization. "Our goal is to protect our compatriots, but we respect the Parliament's decision."

Most parties voted en masse, but the Capitalism Now Party was particularly fractured. Two representatives supported the measure, perhaps as some very indirect (and, if Afjuopu's contract would have come at taxpayer expense, perhaps counterproductive) form of "economic stimulus", while two others voted against. Ilinge's own Ronald Harrens (said the editor in a somewhat-desperate effort to identify the paper without using fonts) said that "the bill would have been an egregious overstepping of governmental boundaries. Afjuopu were never specific enough to prove that they can operate without oversight--in order to be responsible, we would have needed to tie this down with more bureaucracy than was worthwhile."

The only other parties to split over the issue were the big two--three Progressive Traditionalists opposed the bill while two Liberal Conservatives supported it. Vance Woriano had spoken for the first bloc; "To pass this measure would be to pass off governmental responsibility to a third party only interested in profit. The citizens of the Zebra Isles deserve nothing less than our fullest protection," (the details of which representative Woriano did not specify) "not some half-hearted substitute."

Ellen Whaley, on the other hand, was a loud voice for the bill. In an unsuccessful effort to gather support, she had told fellow Liberal Conservatives that it "goes back to the original mission of the party--preserving and protecting the unique heritage of our country." Her counterparts were unconvinced.

All in all, it has been one of the foreign policy department's worst weeks. The aftermath of that spring extends farther than legalistic loopholes, after all; the renewed overtures to Lilliputia appear increasingly pathetic in light of the many reports of "flashbacks" from Zwischen. It's little more than post-traumatic stress on a large scale, but Secretary Chadwick must be desperate for some sort of progress. He can hardly do much worse.
Last edited by Zwangzug on Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Factbook
IRC humor, (self-referential)
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:23 am

Editorial: Kearns' niche uncertain after Maxtopia kerfluffle

On the face of it, Nathan Kearns might seem one of the few people to emerge from the Maxtopian drug bust intact. Kearns' isolationism, after all, seems to be increasingly the government's as well. The truth, alas, is not so simple; the incident has also undermined Kearns' positions.

The trouble began when the news broke that the Maxtopian government had made several arrests for drug trafficking. Under Maxtopian law, the detainees were subject to prosecution within Maxtopia itself. The country's magnificent landscapes make it an attractive tourist destination for many worldwide, and this was hardly the first case of drug-related arrests. It has never been Zwangzug's policy to interfere with other countries' self-governance, and this was no different; whatever passes for justice in Maxtopia was served. Case closed? Unfortunately not.

Those particular traffickers happened to have come from Zwangzug. And what's more, people cared about this fact; even some who didn't know them personally signed internet petitions calling for governmental action to secure their return. It's not as likely that wanderers from a third country could have provoked such a reaction. The fact that such an outcry arose suggests that isolationism isn't quite the order of the day after all.

Worse, Parliament was "advised" not only by concerned citizens but also some of Zwangzug's multiple ambassadors to Maxtopia. Since when have we had those? Refugees from Maxtopia describe it as a failed state, with any functional government having ceased to exist. The parallels were obvious to countries such as White-Rose, where onetime ambassador Emily Osbourne was sent, are clear. After White-Rose vanished from international spheres of influence, Osbourne's plight became a rallying point for isolationists. But with the news that Zwangzug has not one but two ambassadors to Maxtopia, Kearns' tenets hold far less water.

And if that wasn't ironic enough, how did our compatriots have the time to go overseas in the first place? Many regions of Zwangzug are observing Thanksgiving this week; those in small utopian communities that have endured till the present no doubt remain grateful that their cities have survived. Others give thanks that they and their neighbors who were...not there first, but somewhere nearby...stayed out of each other's business and that, centuries on, we are all able to give thanks without guilt for past genocides.

May the international community know such gratitude.
Factbook
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:10 pm

As previously discussed, Zwangzug has adopted a new pretitle in response to conservative sentiment. "To be honest, everything they said about us being elitist academics was pretty accurate," announced Adam Bartel, "and if it'll make everyone feel better, we're for it."

Travis Mason also noted that "nothing of importance has actually changed; we're still a republic, and we'll still answer to whatever misspelling you call us. Or not answer, if we're feeling particularly isolationist, but we don't need anybody to officially change how they refer to us. This is for domestic reasons, nothing the foreigners should worry about. Unless it means they stop joking about us."

Not to be outdone, Felix Wainwright announced yesterday that the "reality disconnect" was also accurate. "All right, fine, we'll admit it--half those utopians coming here to set up their new communities through the centuries only made it cause they were tagging along with someone who could sneak from one reality into another," smirked the Composite Minister. "Hahahahaha. Happy April Fool's Day, everyone!"
Factbook
My issues

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:36 pm

The Zwischen New Courier
wishing we had more fonts since April 2009
Wainwright "concerned" about poor educational standards

After nearly being assassinated on his lunch break, the Composite Minister announced that he was "concerned" about the knowledge of social studies. "I assumed the population was aware that my position was a mostly ceremonial one," he remarked. "Assuming the Parliament is capable of running the government without repeated instigation, nothing would really have been gained through my violent death. Frankly, I'm disappointed that our schools aren't getting the message across." Wainwright also noted that "enforcement of the ban on guns could, presumably, be somewhat tighter".

On behalf of the Parliament, Dean Mollers noted that they were "fully able to carry out the duties of government," and echoed Wainwright's statement of the non-utility of assassination to the political process. It's an embarrassing moment for Adam Bartel, Secretary of Education; the only member of Wainwright's party in the cabinet, and only one of three left overall after Buffy Silk's recent defection, Bartel admitted some responsibility for the oversight. "It's important that the public schools don't engage in argent agenda-pushing; we've done our best to eliminate bias towards our system of government, but perhaps publicizing some more information wouldn't go amiss." Half an hour later, Bartel rushed to assure people that private education and homeschooling were "in no danger of being eliminated; we're certainly not as tyrannical as to assume we deserve to be the only source of information". Bartel also stressed that there would be no instruction mandatory for immigrants, "not to disparage or implicate my newest co-residents". The assassin has been described as "sort of big, bigger than [5'7", 140 pound Wainwright] anyway", "in a mask", and "with a gun. Definitely with a gun", so attempts at generalization are probably moot anyway.

In other news, Secretary of Finance Maurice Bakte announced that a new tax cut was going into effect, but stressed that its effects might not be immediately visible.

digitalparte.zz/bln/descrip/silk

Wow. Quite a big day for us.

If you haven't already heard, Buffy Silk (the representative from Hypread, until recently of the grammarians), just announced that she was joining the Digital Party, effective immediately. Unfortunately, I think she'd rather it have taken effect two years ago or so. As much as she agrees with one plank in that first platform, she doesn't stand for most of what we're all about.

Yes, the current system of government is quite obviously important. Yes, taking Parliamentary votes by computer would be a grand step forward, and I'm glad that at least one of the parliament agrees. But perhaps we would all be best served by having Representative Silk lead by example and not partake in the live debates; beyond this, her new policies are inefficient and big-government. She even said that "no expense need be spared" in reactionary measures.

On the contrary, Representative. Every expense need be spared; who are we as politicians to impose our needs above those of our constituents? Nothing more than self-serving. Our policy going forward needs to be driven by economics, not paranoia. Sometimes it nearly takes tragedy to make people see sense; sadly, it makes many more see nonsense.

I can't veto Representative Silk's membership in the Digital Party, nor can I impose my beliefs on hers. If she wants to claim to be a member of the party, by all means let her--but let's not be complacent with this "triumph". I encourage all my supporters to vote for the candidate, whatever the party, that best stands up for what you believe in; progress, efficiency, and small government.

Meanwhile, in The Lens...

"No! No! No!" Kyle repeated. "He did that for us, so that we'd have the freedom going forward to be who we want to be. Or the freedom to stay just as we are, if that's what we want; we have the choice now, either way, and that's not something we could have gotten through much else. He's a good man, he really is...I haven't met him, no, but just think of how much worse it could be.

Have there been any repercussions? Has anyone come after you? Does anyone know who we are? No. Nothing's changed for us. But now, you'd all better hope it stays that way. Look, I know we don't deserve responsibility, none of us do, but you'd all better be good citizens. It wasn't dangerous before--he'd given us an out. Now? Now, it's not so safe."
Factbook
My issues

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Left-wing Utopia

In The Midst Of The City

Postby Zwangzug » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:19 pm

October 31.

In 102d, in the morning, it was Pumpkin Day. Children eagerly woke to find hollowed-out pumpkins below the pumpkin tree, then grabbed their stockings and began knocking on apartment door after apartment door. Bleary-eyed neighbors passed out candy until the stockings were full.

In Mondly and Layford, by night, it was Hallowmas Eve. A normal Sunday morning gave way to windows full of candles. You never could tell who--or what--might need an extra light to clear the way.

And in Zwischen, around noon, the bells still echoing and the costumes beginning to emerge suggested that it was just transitioning between Reformation Day and Halloween. It was also unseasonably warm--which did mean that Felix Wainwright was shivering under a hooded sweatshirt, but he could at least still eat outside.

Ghost, witch, Harry Potter (the books were still bestsellers, it was official), baseball player. "Who are those two in the blue masks?"

"Luminous People, aren't they?" said James Swanson, the Composite Minister's personal assistant. "From Ecstasy of Winging?"

"Ah. Never got through the first one." Wainwright took another bite of the pancake.

"I don't remember all the details but I think a lot of them, the aliens, I mean, actually are in whatever the equivalent of wheelchairs is in their world." One of the costumed celebrants was, indeed, in a wheelchair; the other stood casually nearby.

"That's nice," said Wainwright absently. "Dressing up yourself?"

"No," Swanson replied. "Although my wife tells me I wouldn't need much to become a clown."

Wainwright laughed. "Me neither."

Pum.

"Oh," groaned Swanson, "not a-"

Later, Kyle spoke on his phone.

"No, I don't think so.

Not since then. I assume she went overseas again.

I mean, it's not like they could do a lot of good.

Of course I would! What do you take me for?

She was infatuated with me, not the other way around.

You would have, too. She'd never really had an equal before.

Of course I am. This is worse.

Because I live in Zwischen? Because somebody here tried to kill our head of state, and nobody knows who?

If I had time.

I'll try. You know it's hard.

No, thank goodness.

Trust me, they think I'm the cynical one.

If it made a difference, I would.

Thanks.

No, I'm relatively safe here.

Well, duh.

No plans to!

Probably not.

I actually have no idea.

I don't think they've started yet.

I mean, I haven't ruled it out.

He'd definitely do it, yeah.

Okay.

Probably shouldn't, to be honest.

Yeah.

Okay, thanks.

Mmhmm. You too."

"-gain."

Wainwright, who had crouched instinctively, blinked wildly and slowly stood upright.

"Over there!" pointed Dwayne Biesheuvel, "The alien, in the mask."

Sure enough, only the wheelchair-bound Luminous Person remained; the standing one had fled. Biesheuvel dashed down two blocks before giving up and returning. By then, Buffy Silk had joined them. Harry Potter, whose real name turned out to be Roger Dredd, was also offering his advice on how to deal with the situation; Biesheuvel, as very nominal head of security, disapproved, but could only offer his opinion, which was summarily ignored as well.

"At the very least," Ellen Whaley acerbically suggested, "might I suggest you take your lunches somewhere other than the vicinity of grassy knolls?"

"You're only building my case, you know," Wainwright replied mildly.

"How?"

"You as good as said it; this is suspiciously similar to last time. Despite the fact that it's probably someone completely unaffiliated."

"Precisely," Whaley snapped back, "which means it is highly likely to recur."

"I agree."

"You agree? Then why don't you--"

"Because! Haven't you noticed the most salient feature of both attempts?"

"The conveniently placed hills?"

"Attempts, Representative Whaley. The hint's in the name."

She narrowed her eyebrows. "We do have a ban on guns. Neither of the shooters were particularly adept. It's a bit self-aggrandizing to attribute your survival to...to...what are you attributing it to?"

"The nature of the beast, as it were. If what you say is true, I can reason just the same way and conclude that I'm immune to such attempts, ban or no ban."

"You can't afford to take that risk. None of us can."

"What do you propose? Have you forgotten where we think the person who tried to kill me last time came from? Surely sticking me in another of those won't help matters!"

"We can try to improve what we already have. Make them do double duty."

Wainwright sighed. "Very well. If there is a third attempt, I'll have them get on it."

"You will," said Whaley, "if you survive a third."
Factbook
My issues

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:35 pm

Eva Pavand, author of the popular "Ecstasy of Winging" series, sat down with fans Adrienne Sawatzki and Russ Lichak, moderators on the popular Major Rim webforum, to discuss Book Seven and the series in general. This contains major spoilers for the new release!

Pavand: Hello! Sorry I'm late.
Sawatzki: No problem.
Lichak: It's great to meet you!
Pavand: Yes, I'm excited.
Sawatzki: So are we!

Lichak: Okay, well-
Sawatzki: Let's ask her about the title first.
Lichak: Okay, yeah. So, we had opening questions for you, but we were arguing too much before you've got here, if you could settle this and then we could move on?
Pavand: Oh dear.
Sawatzki: No, this is an easy one. "The Iron Power"--does that refer to Montkevish? Or the Fists of Krissha?
Lichak: I was saying, iron--it's a symbol of weapons, of technology. That fits with the Fists much more than with Montkevish--he's portrayed as much more backwards. It's the "Fortress of Stone". Not iron.
Sawatzki: That doesn't--well, let's just here what Eva has to say.
Pavand: Who says it's not Von Vink?
Lichak: ...Oh! That's good, that's good. I hadn't thought of it...but yeah, that does fit.
Pavand: And I'm not saying it is! But it could be any of them.
Sawatzki: You're not saying because it's a plot point down the line? Or we should be able to figure it out on our own?
Pavand: No. Neither, it's just...the name, but it's not supposed to represent any of the sides in particular. I deliberately planned it that way. Or it could represent all of them, about equally.
Sawatzki: Oh. So we were both right.
Lichak: There's an anticlimax.
All right, back to the script. About Bree.

Pavand: Yes...Bree. If I may ask, how have the message boards been receiving her? I wasn't sure how she'd go over.
Lichak: People were sort of in shock. It looked like you'd introduced a character mostly for establishing the potential of romance, this...didn't go over well.
Pavand: Oh. Sorry!
Lichak: So you did introduce her just for romance?
Pavand: "Just"? No, not "just"! Ah, she...we needed her to sort of establish how things were going for Salma, in a way. I mean, if nobody had listened to him at all, that'd be one thing. But as it was, she...sort of paid attention. As it were. Not necessarily for political reasons, though!
Sawatzki: In a way that's almost worse.
Lichak: And he still doesn't know, does he? That she really doesn't care about Montkevish either?
Pavand: No, he doesn't.

Sawatzki: If the Fists hadn't shown up when they did, would Von Vink have attacked Montkevish instead?
Pavand: At the time the Fists did arrive? No, he didn't have the political force to do that.
Sawatzki: How about later? How long could they have stalled him?
Pavand: Stalled--stalled isn't the word I'd use, I think. Because...he hadn't made up his mind, not enough. He wanted to, yes, a large part of him was ready, but he still had to struggle over the decision and he would have done that even without the Luminous People. If they weren't part of the picture, yes, certainly, he would have attacked. But it would have taken him a while to commit to that.
Lichak: Is Von Vink married? Does he have any romantic partners?
Pavand: Married to his job, maybe.

Sawatzki: What was your favorite scene to write in this book?
Pavand: Oh. Well, it...there were a lot of tough ones. I had to get inside Von Vink's head much more than I had been doing for a while, and...those were hard. I guess the ones with Salma and Bree.

Lichak: What do the Fists look like?
Pavand: Well, mine looks like a thumb curled on top of four fingers...
Oh! Right. They're, ah...they're...they're...smaller, than humans. Closer to the Luminous People in size.
Lichak: I should ask, just to be sure--these aliens that are attacking now, that Von Vink went after, these are the same Fists of Krissha that the Luminous People have been complaining about from the beginning, right?
Pavand: Of course!
Sawatzki: You thought they weren't? I hadn't heard that theory.
Lichak: It's just too...it's not in keeping with what you've done so far. That quote about the devil.
Pavand: I'm never going to live that down, am I?
Lichak: No, it's just so perfect--it describes the world you've set up, with Montkevish and Von Vink and even people like Heveln. To have these...ready-made antagonists just show up, seems a little cheap.
Sawatzki: But what would have been the point of having them referenced so often, if they were never going to appear?
Lichak: It tells us something about the Luminous People--they have the curse, they're still so worried about the fission even though it's been centuries since they left their home planet--that they'd keep bearing this grudge, even against a species that's not a threat anymore.
So why are they in the story?
Pavand: Well, they...I sort of designed them to get at what I always thought was a...a flaw, with the way aliens have been portrayed in a lot of other books. And I...well. I can't say too much, this is going to be important at the end.

Sawatzki: Other than the times we saw, did Montkevish and Alzie interact any other times?
Pavand: No.
Sawatzki: Okay. Because that was a theory...is there anything else that's happened to her this book, that we should know about?

Lichak: Why is Faim in the series?
Pavand: Guwill needed someone to be...not, I don't want to say, on his side, but...there had to be someone on Ayros besides the Tower Sisters.
Lichak: It's an entire planet, though. You could have chosen anyone, there could have been so many different places there. And you write this...man, who wants to...
Pavand: Well, no. No, they call it Ayros Island for a reason--the planet's big, but he has no reason to go anywhere besides Ayros. So he wants to be there, and Faim is his natural...not ally, but somebody willing to work with him.
Lichak: I don't know, it just sort of feels like he's...thrown in there for diversity's effect. Not that I,
Sawatzki: More than Vasily?
Lichak: Well, yeah, because...the curse, that's part of the series, and tied in with the symbolism and all. Of the spaceships.
Pavand: He'll be doing things later on. Slightly different roles, now, obviously. As you've seen.

Sawatzki: Are there any questions that you couldn't have answered before this book came out, that you can now?
Pavand: "Will we see Alzie again?"
Lichak: "Do the Fists of Krissha ever show up?"
Pavand: Yeah. But...well, speaking of Faim. I guess that's not a great question because you only met him in book six, but how he's reacting to all these changes.
Lichak: I mean, by the end of book six we knew things were going to change, so that's not a great question.
Pavand: I know. Yours was good. Do the Fists show up, why have we been referencing them so much--well, that's why.

Lichak: I doubt you can tell us, but was Heveln telling the truth about how many Fists there are?
Sawatzki: Why wouldn't they send a lot?
Lichak: Okay, no, here's my question--did they know that the Luminous People were here in the solar system? Or did they just run across it?
Pavand: They just showed up. They weren't looking for anyone.
Lichak: If Von Vink hadn't gone after them, would they have attacked?
Pavand: That's...you have to disentangle Von Vink from what the Luminous People would have done on their own, for one thing.
Lichak: If...if they're not detected, if they just show up on the edge of the solar system, what would they have done?
Pavand: They're not the type to leave it and fly on by. They would have...would have wanted to establish some sort of presence there. And the Luminous People would not have liked that at all--they might not have fired the first shots, but they would have made it very clear they wanted the Fists out.
Sawatzki: Which they did anyway.
Pavand: Right. So...I'm not sure there's anything you can say, really, about...I'm not sure what you're asking.
Lichak: It's just we never get to see it from their perspective. What do they want? From the system in general?
Pavand: Some level of control or access to the resources--it's too well built-up, too thriving, to just ignore.
Sawatzki: Before the Luminous People left their homeworld, were there other species that they knew of, besides the Fists?
Pavand: Outside the other creatures from their planet, no.
Sawatzki: Are there others? That they still don't know about?
Pavand: ...I'm not going to answer that one.
Sawatzki: Do the Fists think of the Luminous People in the same way the Luminous people think of the Fists? Is it a real rivalry?
Pavand: No. Um...no, that's all I have to say about it.

Sawatzki: If you could visit any of the locations in the series, which would you visit?
Pavand: Oh, wow. It's tough to pick...I'd like, I'd like to go to Ayros, I suppose. Or the Minor Rim with Bree, I guess I've had that on the brain working on this, and book eight.
Lichak: So there will be more of the Minor Rim in book eight, then?
Pavand: Yeah. Guess I gave that one away!
Lichak: Do you have any idea what the title will be?
Pavand: Yes. And nine, also.
Sawatzki: Oh?
Pavand: I reserve the right to change my mind! I'm not committing to anything.
Lichak: When did you come up with them?
Pavand: Pretty early on—when I was working on book four, actually, what I'm using for book eight—that was the working title of book four. Up until near the end.
Sawatzki: Really? “The Measures of Our Mind” fits so well.
Pavand: You say that now! Vasily had a lot smaller role in the early draft.
Lichak: You shoehorned that part in, after!
Pavand: Yes. Well, no, I mean, I needed...Heveln was challenged a little, then.
Lichak: But more in book five.
Pavand: Yeah, and I think that's what we're seeing with Salma, now--
Sawatzki: You wanted to start that, earlier.
Pavand: Well, no, it was mostly tying it in so the title made sense. And then—five, especially six, I was still thinking about using...this title I have in mind for book eight.
Lichak: Can you give us any idea why, which part?
Pavand: Um...without saying too much, you know, Guwill...
Sawatzki: Yeah.
Pavand: Had a much bigger part in book six, you know, than this one. And...and we'll see him again, a lot, in book eight. So...what he's been up to, that'll be a big part of it.
Lichak: Let me put it this way. If you come up with another title for book eight, will you want to reuse this one for book nine?
Pavand: No! Um, it's referring to stuff that'll be...not quite wrapped up, really, but...book nine has some other things, and, yeah, I'm feeling pretty confident about this.
Lichak: But not confident enough to tell us.
Pavand: Exactly!

Sawatzki: Did you always know there would be nine books?
Pavand: From when I started planning, yeah.
Lichak: Have you ever been tempted to change that?
Pavand: Yes, actually, at one point—fairly late in the game—I thought about cutting it to eight. I would probably have split book eight, there are two fairly major...pushed some of the stuff with Guwill back to nine, and moved some more of what happens with a couple other characters forward, it could have tied into this one. But I decided against that.
Lichak: Do you know how long the rest of them will be?
Pavand: No. And this is not me being evasive, I really couldn't tell you.

Sawatzki: Switching gears here a little. What languages do you speak?
Pavand: Oh, that's a good question. I...I took French in school, but I really couldn't speak it.
Sawatzki: Nothing else?
Sawatzki: Really. I wouldn't have guessed that.
Lichak: Clearly you've studied Latin.
Pavand: I've studied a lot, on my own. I had to. But I wouldn't say that I speak any other languages.
Sawatzki: Are the languages in the books built up beyond what you see?
Pavand: Not really, I mean, I haven't made up that many words. I'll run across concepts sometimes and think “Oh, that's cool, they'd probably say it this way...” but when it comes to the actual words, no.
Lichak: What did you major in, in college?
Pavand: English.
Lichak: Figures!
Pavand: I know, I know—I have the, the linguists, the mathematician, the economist, the computer scientist...
Lichak: Right, right. And the military leaders, and...Alzie.
Pavand: Mmhmm. And Bree, Marcil, all of...yeah.
Sawatzki: You could make the case, Marcil's sort of an artist.
Lichak: But yeah, and I do think it comes across—that this isn't, really. It's not science fiction.
Pavand: That's news to me!
Lichak: It really isn't. It's science fantasy, great science fantasy, but not science fiction.
Sawatzki: What do you mean?
Lichak: Okay, the first book—that's the most science-fictiony. And they don't leave Earth. But it's about science, new technology, and what people do with it. Beyond that, it's just, “oh, here's another planet that we've engineered habitats for”, you just wave your hand and say “okay, now we're on the other planet” and never go into that.
Sawatzki: What about the Chond?
Lichak: They were a decoy, I mean, they didn't do anything. Besides the first book it could all have been a fantasy on one planet.
Sawatzki: The flight box?
Lichak: Is deus ex machina—it could have been another loom, and it wouldn't have made any difference.
Pavand: I wish I could tell you what's coming in book nine.
Lichak: Do it!
Pavand: You'll see—something's happened, they'll...it wouldn't work, on just one planet.

Sawatzki: Have you ever read fanfiction? Has anybody guessed about...whatever event, whatever's coming?
Pavand: You know, yes, they have. This one...that event, they didn't guess the science behind it, but...that'd it happen, yes, I did see one story. Out of several, this one only caught my eye because they guessed...It's horribly written! There are no breaks between paragraphs, it's impossible to read. But yes, there is good fanfiction out there. And the best of it, you know, is completely off base. Well, not completely. But.
Lichak: And there's a lot of bad stuff.
Pavand: Oh yes. I try to avoid, some of the romances are very...disturbing.

Lichak: Are you going to introduce more major characters?
Pavand: Define “major”! There will be new faces, there have to be, but...not to a considerable extent.

Sawatzki: Do you write your books from chapter one through chapter...whatever it is? Or do you jump around more?
Pavand: I really do need to write from the beginning to the end, otherwise I'm tempted to just write the most exciting scenes and never fill in the important ones in the middle! I do jump around a little, between the characters—if I'm sick of one I can write a little bit with another.
Sawatzki: How do you stay...not focused, it's just, these are the only things you release. Do you have any change of pace, any other projects?
Pavand: Usually I write poetry if I need something else to work on. I'm not planning on publishing it, necessarily, but we'll see.

Lichak: Okay, one theory the other fans wanted me to throw out there—do the Fists have flight boxes?
Pavand: Probably not—if they do, they don't use them any more extensively than humans or the Luminous People do.
Lichak: Did the LPs have flight boxes on their homeworld?

Sawatzki: Another theory, if you don't mind—are the Chond and the Fists connected in any way?
Pavand: Now how can I answer that question? If I say no, well, no, they're not...all right, great, they're not. If, if I can't explain really, that as good as gives it away, yes?
Sawatzki: Okay, sorry!
Pavand: No problem.

Lichak: Have you picked out a star that's supposed to be the homeworld for the Luminous People? Or the Fists?
Pavand: No, not any of the real stars—you'd just tease me for getting the astronomy wrong!

Lichak: This one I really don't think—you should be able to shoot it down, it's just too implausible.
Pavand: Try me.
Lichak: You mention the characters' parents sometimes, or they do—will Salma see his family again, ever have a normal life—this isn't the question. But they're not...descended from anyone important, it's not like someone is the great-great-grandchild of...
Sawatzki: Well. Alzie and Marcil, that's a descendant thing.
Lichak: That's learned, right? It's not genetic?
Pavand: No. No, Marcil had to be taught, as you saw--
Lichak: From his dad, yeah.
Pavand: But that's how things work on Kinsan's Laboratory, they pass it down, parent to child.
Lichak: Right. Nobody is, by virtue of their, their ancestry, some long-lost...anything.

Sawatzki: I know you've said before that you don't really have any favorite characters, but you identify with Salma most.
Pavand: Mmhmm.
Sawatzki: I was wondering whether that changes book to book?
Pavand: I mean, it's not really fair—I have the advantage of knowing more about the characters than you do, before any given book comes out, so it's not just that I know where Salma is, say, here, but I knew where he'd be, roughly speaking, before that. So, no, Salma—yeah. I mean, now with Bree we get to see Salma have this person completely attracted to him, and I've felt fortunate to have my family there for me in that way, so...you didn't know that this was coming, before, but I did!
If you don't mind me asking, what about you two?
Sawatzki: I actually really liked Sarishna.
Lichak: And for those of you going “what”, she's the trash-talking girl from the Turrets in book one. She has, like, two lines.
Sawatzki: A lot more than two!
Lichak: And if she reappears in the last two books, we have a bet, I'm going to have to...do something stupid.
Sawatzki: I mean, at this rate, Mishar isn't going to do anything either, so we're in the same boat!
Pavand: Mishar is your favorite?
Lichak: I mean, at first it was Guwill, but going back, I've come to appreciate Mishar more.
Pavand: Oh, we'll definitely see Mishar again. He's been busy.
Lichak: What? That's not fair, if I'd known you would give me a straight answer about him I'd have asked about him first!
Pavand: Sorry!
Lichak: Where was he during the last book?
Pavand: Busy.

Lichak: Okay, last questions?
Sawatzki: Yeah, I guess so. Thanks very much for meeting with us.
Pavand: Oh, you're welcome.

Lichak: Okay. And, I would like a serious answer to this. I should explain, we'd scheduled this meeting a few weeks ago.
Sawatzki: Oh, yeah. We knew when the book was coming out, we wanted to give people time to read it, form some theories...
Lichak: So we'd planned this well in advance. And, I guess the question everyone wants to know...what do you make of the assassination attempt?
Pavand: Hoo boy.
I...I get the feeling you don't want me just to say “what should I make of it? I'm appalled, just like everyone else, I, I don't think that was appropriate, it...it certainly wasn't my intention for the book to be...linked to that. Once it's out of my hands, you know, I don't condone, and I don't really know why you would think it's any of...any of my business more than anyone else's.” But, I mean, that's true, so...
The broader point, I guess, is that these books are...like a lot of science fiction, or science fantasy, whatever you want to call it. They're set on a very grand scale, they have to do with...with war. And war is a form of murder. Just as reprehensible as any other kind.
Now, my characters engage in war. Not all of them are on the front lines, not all of them are as integrated into the systems that fight the war as others. But...yes, they do engage in war. Von Vink is a murderer. Montkevish is a murderer. And that's...there's no way around that.
The risk is that I'm trivializing war, or making murder out to be some glorious thing. And I don't intend to do that, but that's the risk when you set out to write in this genre. So...I hope how the series ties together will illustrate more of...Much of the early books had nothing to do with war. And there are important parts of eight and nine that won't either. So this is not what the series is, fundamentally, about. But it's a part of that. And I can only hope that my readers take away, in the end, what I'm trying to say.

Sawatzki: Wow, okay. Do you mind if I end on a lighter note?
Pavand: Please!
Sawatzki: How big is a whipabout court? I always imagined it about the size of a gymnasium for basketball or something...
Pavand: I'd think it would be rather large. Maybe basketball is the right size, I haven't got any numbers or anything.
Sawatzki: I was just wondering if people could ever actually play it.
Pavand: If you got...a beach ball, I suppose, and the right kind of rackets.
Sawatzki: Yeah.
Pavand: That'd be fun, I know there've been a couple of people who want to try. But don't know what the right size is.
Sawatzki: Whatever allows for the right number of goals and doesn't decapitate anyone.
Lichak: What's the right number of goals?
Sawatzki: I'd say a normal game would be about ten-nine. Two good teams would maybe score about eight goals per game, and then two or three extra points.
Lichak: ...That would make it eleven to ten.
Sawatzki: I told you I'm not a mathematician!
Factbook
My issues

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:42 pm

The Kerlagrad Courier
"Please stop dying on us"

Zwangzug has been celebrated as a popular tourist destination for people around the world. The tourism industry may take a hit, however, after self-appointed Minister of Tourism Jason Madley (PT-Gefnot) suggested that visitors from overseas "try not to die in Zwangzug.

Dead bodies create a hassle for hotel owners to deal with," Madley said, "not to mention wildlife rangers. They smell bad, and don't pay their hotel bills. I know that a lot of foreigners are much more into unhappy things like death than we are over here--they have all these news stories and all this discussion about really unpleasant things like...death. And war. And stuff. Maybe they're irrational enough to like it, but we're too sensible for that.

So please, not in our backyards. Or nature preserves, even."

Madley was responding to newly-released data that suggest that 58% of deaths in Zwangzug are due to old age, 39% from getting lost, and 4% from zebra attacks, adding up to 101%, or more than all the citizens who die in a time period. "While we appreciate that retired people may have the most spare time and money to come abroad, and we welcome their continued tourism, we just think they should get a clean bill of health before coming older," Madley said. "That's all." (Parliamentary "Ministers," of course, are invariably self-appointed and possess no official responsibilities. The person who would actually be in charge of this kind of thing, Secretary of Foreign Affairs Anthony Chadwick, was unavailable for comment.)

Other politicians, however, think that tourists might not be to blame. "It's just rounding error," said Secretary of Finance Maurice Bakte. "Like how it says we don't have a private sector. It's...it's less than half a percent of...um. You know, I think one of my interns just got bored and decided to scribble that in blue. Blue is a nice color."

Whatever the case, tourists traps will stay alert for dead bodies. "It sucks," said Maximillian Roth, a mountain-climbing guide. "Just last week I had to fish some arrogant morons who thought they knew what they were doing out of a crevasse.

On second thought, those were Zwangzugians. Foreigners aren't that dumb."
Factbook
My issues

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:23 pm

The Bassabook Baritone

Bakte extols stock market crash
Secretary of Finance Maurice Bakte was in uncharacteristically high spirits after promising the government would "completely ignore" the recent stock market crash. "We're not gonna do a [redacted] thing, [redacted]it," Batke pledged. "No bailouts, no reactionary cuts to the welfare department, no nothing. Uh-uh."

When pressed for comment on his good humor, Bakte pointed out the fact that Zwangzug actually had a stock market at all. "The check plummeted in value. Plummeted, I tell you! You actually have to have some altitude before you can plummet. That's how things [redacted]ing work. Oh, the graphs go on about the [redacted]ing trend line at zero, well [redacted] them. We're doing fine. Or were until the crash thing happened. But we will again!

Probably."

Bakte also celebrated the fact, reported today, that merely 150 of 72,775 countries in the world had economies growing more slowly than Zwangzug's. "[Redacted] right we're slow," he said, moving his elbow in what is assumed to be an enthused manner. "You wanna know why that is? It's because our economy is so awesome and big and everything that it doesn't even need to grow. It doesn't have anywhere to go. And it probably wouldn't be safe anyway."
Factbook
My issues

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:02 pm

The Kerlagrad Courier
Zwangzug welcomes...hot dang, that's a lot of zeroes

Late Wednesday night baby Bert Louis Fletcher was born in 102d. 8 pounds, 5 ounces, and 21 inches, Fletcher officially brought Zwangzug's population to...

wait, ten billion? Are you sure?

Bert is the son of Doug Fletcher and Martha Vale, and the younger brother of Marjorie. All involved are in good health. When asked to comment on the milestone, Doug Fletcher made mention of how the whole nationalism thing is kind of overrated, and how there's probably nowhere to put any more people as evidenced by the tiny size of their apartment.

"This is a memorable day for the country," said Dean Mollers, Secretary of Citizens' Affairs. "I congratulate the Fletchers, and look forward to welcoming the next...

has someone misplaced the decimal point, perchance?"

This caused a bit of inter-cabinet feuding as Adam Bartel, Secretary of Education, claimed that "none of the [other secretaries] can be trusted with [the decimal point], and if they're gonna be that dumb about it maybe I should just keep it for myself."

"I can't really bring myself to care," said another one of the 9,999,999,999 [it's gotta be even more than that now, surely? -ed]. "I mean, I guess the order of magnitude thing is...all right, not exactly a once-in-a-lifetime experience, we've been through this three times in the last four years. Or so. If this is time dilation again I want a lawyer."

"We are sensitive to our environmental footprint," Mollers said, "however many of us there are, anyway, and would like to continue maximizing the efficient use of vertical space." Travis Mason claimed that this was "just a Liberal Conservative excuse to take a familial celebration and turn it into something to score political points," cuing Bartel again.

"Seriously, I feel like it was just four, five years ago we were down at five million," Mollers said. "And I kind of don't know how this happened, I mean, yes there are advances in medicine cutting down death rates. And immigration helps, obviously, our country has always welcomed those who were out of place elsewhere. Five million freed slaves showed up a couple months ago I think, more like that here and there it starts adding up to really significant digits. At the same time, as a relatively developed state with, erm, some contraceptives available and many opportunities beyond parenthood fertility rates, particularly among, erm, the populations [almost certainly bit his tongue before saying "that have lived here multiple generations," as opposed to some others -ed]...I mean I didn't know they were that high, is all."

When asked to comment, Bert Fletcher tried to nurse out of the microphone. At press time, Bartel was scratching his head and admitting it probably wasn't binary.
Factbook
My issues

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:29 pm

The Bassabook Baritone

How much will Marsey change "Marginally Perturbed"?
After "Fries"' fourth-place finish at WorldVision 17 restored a little credibility to Zwangzug's musical scene, "The Marginally Perturbed" is moving on to Marsey. Jerry Scabe, who's going to be directing the production, said he was "working closely" with Rosalie Elyse, the original lyricist, as he adapted the text. What he's let slip so far about the alterations, however, don't inspire me.

Several members of the OCR will be reprising their roles; Eileen Baudelaire and Rod Sampson are back as Susan and Jesse, while Ollie van Lozos plans to return as Mr. Orange. A few more are on the fence, but there are two big omissions; Patrick Eogham (Chris) has returned to television, and Gia Hargelak's character, Debra, is being written out of the show entirely.

This is risky. Not because Debra was particularly crucial to the album--she wasn't (and the success of "Fries" might give people the idea that there are really only four student characters that matter, hence her expendability)--but because Jesse doesn't seem to have any less of a role. If anything, he'll get more of one, as Scabe has mentioned that he plans to add a reprise of "One in a Million" near or at the end of the show. Which begs the question of who will be Jesse's love interest, seeing as how that's about his only use in the plot. An out-of-context readthrough of "The Big Picture" suggests that Susan is the most likely candidate. Make no mistake, dragging "Marginally Perturbed" into a Jesse/Susan/misplaced revolutionary spirit love triangle will completely lose its edge.

And Eogham's absence could be even more costly. Despite what a few of my fellow critics think (do they listen to the bleeping thing or just read from the lyrics book?), the album succeeded on his delivery. Anyone who delivers Chris's lines with even a little less bite will destroy his sarcastic "Color Commentary," such as it is, and without that the entire musical will be overwrought. It's called "Marginally Perturbed," and not anything more serious, for a reason. Given that Scabe looks set to cut "Marginalia" as well (perhaps because we don't need another young man singing a duet with Susan), the replacement Chris is really going to have to make his performance count.

And sorry, fans of Jenna--Scabe refused to tell us how he's going to stage her last two songs. I know there's been a lot of debate about how literally we're supposed to take the titles, or how literally we're supposed to take her presence for the closer. We'll just have to wait and find out.
Last edited by Zwangzug on Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Factbook
My issues

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:26 pm

The Kerlagrad Courier
Check it out: Economy less bad

Private-sector employees are blinking in shock as new international data confirm that Zwangzug's economy is "really not that bad after all," according to supremely confident Secretary of Finance, Maurice Bakte. Despite it still being considered imploded and not even a percent of a...thing, the World Assembly's classification as a "Civil Rights Lovefest," or "Brave Progressives," or "Nation-Hating Hippies," is apparently a sign that things aren't so bad after all.

"Yeah, so, Book Publishing employees should be able to fire people," Bakte said, after a resolution to artificially inflate wages was soundly defeated in Parliament. "Or at the very least, taxpayer checks shouldn't boost their wages beyond the market value.

They've got a whole public sector to support," he nodded. "And paying off book publishing companies we like? Pfft, that's gotta be some kind of bleeping repression of the freedom of speech."

"Nation...hating?" shrugged Secretary of Citizens' Affairs Dean Mollers. "I'm cool with that, I guess. Don't like too much nationalism." Representative Thomas Brighton, meanwhile, is fine with being a hippy as long as he gets to wear his favorite tie-dye shirt.

The news follows an exciting week in which Zwangzug has bounced around the proverbial ideocube. First, on Tuesday, Parliament voted down a measure to repeal the "none of the above" option on ballots, which has been more pronounced at local than statewide level, though sentiment for broader reform is unusually high following the Naspe election. (Currently, approximately 15% of those polled "strongly favor" a change in the representation system, with 25% "strongly opposing" such a measure.) This measure made Zwangzug a "Left-wing Utopia," purportedly featuring both high civil as well as political rights. This designation is shared by 1.94% of modern states.

Previously, it had been a "Scandinavian Liberal Paradise," where the etymology of the first adjective is rather unclear, but apparently involves having more civil and political rights, and describes 2.16% of countries. Civil RIghts Lovefests are a whopping 4.19%. In the past, Zwangzug has tended to be Liberal (or otherwise) Democratic Socialists, usually having at least as many (and often more) political than civil freedoms. But today's economic breakthrough could well be paving the way to a brighter future.

"Sending back rejection letters to hopeless writers? Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about," Bakte grinned. "Economic freedom. We've got it, right here. Who the bleep would have guessed?"
Factbook
My issues

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:40 pm

The Kerlagrad Courier
Rise of fogey despot coincides with people opening their big stupid mouths

The latest from some weird backwater that probably doesn't even border us, anyway, have you looked at a bleeping map? is that demented geezer Stefanie Christensen still believes herself to be in charge of the joint. Christensen, who was born in the modern Zwischen and probably killed off a few people with her crossbow and baseball bat back in the day, believes this ignominious experience entitles her to be called "general" instead of "general nuisance," and now plans to make a career out of killing more people unless she actually bothers to hold elections and then loses.

Most people from Zwangzug have very understandably downplayed the fact that she happened to be born in the same country as them, but a few are protesting outside Parliament and Composite Minister Wainwright's office. The previous government has apparently asked ours to do stuff.

"I have telegrammed the new government to inform Christensen that she...had better hold elections and stop suppressing freedoms, unless she can clearly articulate why those freedoms pose an unacceptable danger to society," Wainwright announced. "Yeah. Negotiation is...good."

In an unusual incident of "people giving a rip about what the Composite Minister has to say," "negotiation" levels spiked later in the afternoon as people across the country decided to throw off their stoic masks and verbally renew old grudges. "Yeah, I'm gonna bleeping negotiate with that bleeping bleeper so hard, she's just gonna be left bleeping speechless at my bleeping verbal repar-bleeping-tee," one rash youth promised.

"You want a piece of my mind?" another challenged. "Then how about I give you one instead of making you wait to be psychic. Oh yeah. You don't even want to know how many words per minute I can throw at you. Only I'm not actually going to throw them. It's called a metaphor. Get with it."

"U no hu I'm gona argu w/^" asked Representative Siri Prasert (Independent-Ilinge). "Wanrit."

Christensen was unavailable for comment.
Factbook
My issues

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:16 pm

"Why is it always us, do you think?"

"Why is what always who?"

"Zwischen. It's not even that big, relatively speaking. Why would...why would it just so happen to crash here?"

"Well, airplanes crash all the time. All over the place. It evens out. You never know, those weird tourists might like it. Stimulate our own economy instead of some podunk--"

"Felix!" Ellen broke in. "You're talking about two hundred and fifty people!"

"No," he said, arcing one eyebrow. "I am not. You were talking about why it's always Zwischen. I followed your lead."

"That doesn't give you the right--forget it. Forget it. Parliament will pass regulation by tomorrow, we don't need you, we'll get thirty."

"Very good. So what brings you here?"

"You know what brings me here."

Wainwright laughed. "Your staffers would be pleased to hear you say that. What are the odds on us now?"

"The odds on us what?"

"The odds on us..." Wainwright waved a vague hand.

Whaley glared. "They can't seriously think..."

He shrugged. "Outside my own party--no, inside it too--there aren't many people I can trust. I wish we didn't have to meet like this."

"But what do you tell people? When they ask?"

"People are quiet. They don't go prying too directly about my personal life."

"We've been doing this for over two years now. More like four, if you count the time before all your precautions."

"Well, I tell them that if I was going to have sex with someone I wasn't married to, I'd get someone younger and cuter and not in politics."

After a pause, Whaley sputtered into laughter. "And that shuts them up?"

"Completely. I don't want to have to deal with...oh, you know, however many billion of us there are...when I go home at night. I'd rather have someone cute who would take my...er, mind off things."

"No you wouldn't."

"What?"

"No, you wouldn't. Not that you're the type to sleep around, but--you'd get bored of someone like that. Within a few dates. You need someone who can think about things with you."

Wainwright pursed his lips. "That's as may be. But let's keep things professional between us."

"Of course."
Factbook
My issues

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Left-wing Utopia

Nobody Doesn't Like Sarah Li; Or; Wait Wait, Don't Ditch Me!

Postby Zwangzug » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:55 pm

(OOC: Issue 67, Option 4. No idea how this relates to the issue. Don't even care.)

You're listening to Zwangzug Public Radio...for now.

"Good evening, this is Lars Rikkard in Zwischen. This evening we have a surprising development from Dauclem district. A group of guys with beards and crossbows have declared rural Sarah Li County a sovereign country, independent from the rest of Zwangzug. Here with more is Gertie Sparkle."

"Thanks, Lars. I'm here outside the county seat in Smitsbarg, and this is a large geographically but loosely populated county--or, in the words of the people rallying here, "sovereign state." John Barry has become one of the spokesmen for the movement, hello John, can you tell us about your views?"

"Gov'mint's not workin' fo' folks 'round here, we have ourselves a guar-un-teed right to form a gov'mint that works for us. We don't want any confrontation, now, we just want to shake hands and let ya'll get along with yer business while we get along with ours."

"There has been no official word yet from higher government, although Evelyn Maurn, plurality leader in the Dauclem Parliament, was surprised."

"I mean, obviously here in Zwangzug we have--oh, a couple decades' worth of tradition, as far as representative government goes. That citizens should be able to peacefully choose their leadership has always been taken for granted, you know. With devolution I'm not sure quite what to make of this--everything seems nonviolent so far so hopefully order will be preserved."

"Only time will tell what the statewide government makes of this development, but until then, in Sarah Li Whatever You're Calling Yourself Now, I'm Gertie Sparkle."

"Thanks, Gertie. Now, here in Zwischen, unfortunately things are a little more distraught. One of the old consolidators, Bill Sherman, is now getting quite on in years and...er...seeking to recall what he considers his glory days. His quote "I can't believe this!" Well...all right, it is a little surprising. Sherman continued "This is tantamount to treason!" Well, inasmuch as "citizens who leave the country are officially classified as traitors"--this word having picked up more positive connotations of one who makes their own decisions about where to live, not just letting inertia handle things. And in this sense, yes, to secede would certainly be an act of leaving the country.

Addressing the Parliament, who are now convening for a special session, Sherman continued to dribble out of the corners of his mouth and stammer "Our political system would collapse if whole territories were allowed to leave at any time. It would be chaos! I propose that you let me take care of the problem... permanently." Sherman was then gently escorted from the Parliament by Lily Sine, representative of Parmel.

We here at Zwangzug Public Radio will continue to bring you the action as these shocking developments continue. For those worried that this could preempt tomorrow's coverage of Pretentious Snideness Towards Your Religious Views, Hopelessly Low-Level Definitions Of Sporting Feats Of Grandeur, or Selections From Urbane Memoirs, not to worry, these can be postponed to the weekend where they would preempt Puzzles With Objective Solutions. And if you want normal programming, down on 89.5 the classical music station is still in its Baby Got Bach marathon...

...Welcome back. It's been a taut few hours here as the Parliament pulls an all-nighter, trying to decide how to react to the secessionists of Sarah Li County. There's a recognition that if the democratic will is for independence, the government of Zwangzug won't do too much to stand against it, not like they have the force to do so anyway. However, consensus holds that the Parliament would need to be convinced that some basic human rights would be respected by the new country, that certain freedoms needed to be upheld. And unfortunately, the seceders have not been able to make these promises; when approached for comment, Tony Chang said "Excuse me, I need to go water these turnips." So the potential of a standoff there.

And other people are suggesting that perhaps devolution needs to be taken to a more serious level--that local governments need to have more power, and perhaps this would prevent the potential of secession. Matilda Wainwright (no relation to the Composite Minister)'s Wright Stuff show featured a caller who suggested this compromise, unfortunately I can't quote him as I'd need to buy licensing rights and this is apparently a waste of taxpayer checks.

I know, I know, we used to be financed by those painful pledge drives, but after a local referendum showed that more people preferred taking the hit to their taxes rather than putting up with my fellows continually ask for their money. So, now, we're officially public radio. And...oh dear, it appears Ms. Wainwright doesn't take kindly to this either...

The Parliament continues to debate, and at the moment things are moving towards--since we really can't guarantee any freedoms under the new regime, perhaps slimming back government to be more relevant to the first-generation cities. The representative from Dauclem, Janice McFly, addressing the floor now..."

"...We must take seriously the grievances of our fellow citizens. The important services our government secures--education, health care, perhaps even transportation--may seem manageable to those on a local level. More and more, the image of statewide governmental priorities seen on a local level is of an apathetic, dismissive, institution. Our best impulses can quickly become misjudged. We've seen it with the efforts to secure a secular state perhaps overshooting, last decade or whenever--"

"--this presumably a commentary on the Liberal Conservative developments. McFly of course a Progressive Traditionalist hard-liner--"

"--the efforts to secure freedom of speech and access to media can turn into the government having its own media outlets--"

"--whoa! Hold on! Back when we only had one TV channel it was cool, no one watched that much TV anyway, we liked the long-running science-fiction shows and the goofy introductions to other countries--Speaking of which, how about a goofy introduction to Sarah Li County? Gertie?"

"Well Lars obviously there's a lot still to be decided yet, but I've spent the last few hours taking the trains around here. No large cities of note in or, frankly, around Sarah Li County, perhaps this is a place where the infrastructure's rather been left behind.

Sarah Li herself was a farmer who lived several hundred years ago, mixing recipes from her Peridune and Ianix relatives to create hardier strains of rice, and turnips, which kept the people in her home village of Minlae considerably healthier than otherwise. Unfortunately that community like many first-generation cities fell apart, but the county later named in her honor.

The next few weeks were supposed to see the return of marching band practices as young adults gear up for the fall season, and while the heat of competition and the heat of late summer may well be placed, there's a new feeling of uncertainty in the air. I spoke with Wendy Michaelson, whose husband Nicholas is busy feverishly reading constitutions to try and see what to make of this new movement."

"To be honest, I didn't know we were going to secede at all. I mean, of course I saw him hanging around with those guys, but I just thought they were growing their beards out to raise awareness for the government being silly. I had no idea it was going this far."

"And how do you think the government is being silly?"

"Well, not having anything in the way of a military makes me feel a little insecure--except that they'd probably quench us, so on balance I suppose that was for the best."

"Duly noted. Thanks, Wendy."

"You're welcome."

"All right, well, let's send it over back to Lars in Zwischen?"

"Well, there's been an unusual compromise reached. It now appears as if Representatives Chadwick and McFly are newly hopeful in their negotiations with Sarah Li County, which would remain intact under the new terms."

"Yes, and Barry here seems to be agreeing, signing on. So it sounds like they'll formalize this later this morning."

"The government has agreed to roll back some of its potentially, ah, "brainwash"ing measures and..."

"Yes?"

"Wait a minute. They...they're going to dismantle public radio. And television, although no one uses that anymore--"

"Oh. Goodness."

"Goodness? Is that all you have to say?"

"Well, maybe I'll join Matilda Wainwright in the private sector. Or go to Kelssek, they have a nice broadcasting service."

"What about the science-fiction shows?"

"They've moved channels, you know that--"

"What about Baby Got Bach?"

"It can go private too."

"What about the pretentious screeds?"

"Well. Screeds have to be written out..."

"What about me!"

"Lars, you're still on air--"

"Oh, they haven't gone and pulled the plug on me already?"

"Well, no...they're showing their moral conservative side, I suppose...look, it--it's going to be okay..."

"You don't need to placate me...I can face the truth..."

"Lars, I think you should turn your microphone off now."

"Never! They can pry it from my fingers. Or collar."

"That would be sort of awkward."

"All right. Well, for the last time, from Zwischen, Lars Rikkard, s--oh, I can't do it."
Factbook
My issues

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:11 pm

(OOC: Based on actual issues and in-game effects, of course. ;) )

The Kerlagrad Courier
Shakespeare denialists convene

HAPRA--Today at a conference people suggested other candidates for the authorship of the plays and poetry attributed to William Shakespeare. "This guy goes on and on about England this and England that," argued James Stante. "But whoever's heard of such a place as "England," huh? Clearly there must be more to the story."

Most scholars reject these theories. "Anyone who makes an academic study of literature," explained Dr. Susanna Faughton, professor of English at Jefhed College, "will agree that William Shakespeare was born in 1564 in Stratford-upon-Avon, and went on to one of the most celebrated careers in the English language. The fact that no one can identify Stratford-upon-Avon on a map is not important to this inquiry."

Nevertheless, some arguments have been put forward in favor of other candidates. "The Republic of Liventia was previously known as Liverpool England," explained Dmirtri Wischesla. "Perhaps the real Shakespeare lived there. We know that his last play was called "The Tempest," which would fit in well with what we know of the Liventian love of meteorology." Other possible homelands for the real author include the former Kagdazka and "some crazy alternate-dimension thing."

Some say this argument is a waste of time and effort. "It's a very elitist attitude," graduate student Barry Nazar explained. "To say that a common man couldn't have written these magnificent works, to think only some sort of lord or upper-class person could, is horribly presumptuous. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go write about how anyone who believes books should be enjoyed for their happy endings and moral truths is a hopelessly backward child."

"I came to this conference because I heard there was a theory about bacon," explained Melissa Nabavis. "Unfortunately, there is no actual bacon."

There may, however, have been some other meat involved. "The Liverpool England theory has credence, I admit," noted Louis Dappersley, a self-described "anti-Stratfordian." "However, another bygone land from The Heartland region seems just as likely to be the real Shakespeare's birthplace. I refer, of course, to Spaam. You see, "William Shakespeare" is a perfect anagram of "Here is law like Spaam," and that is clearly conclusive proof."

During the conference, people were able to make new acquaintances and trade ideas. Gradually, a different theory took hold. "You know who's also going on about England?" Stante realized. "J. K. Rowling from those Harry Potter books. Clearly, she wrote the works of Shakespeare."
Factbook
My issues

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Previously: Like A Falling Star, Anthony Chadwick ousted...

...which means it's time to shake up the Cabinet! Every party represented in Parliament has nominated a candidate for Secretary of Foreign Affairs.

Birthday Party: Gabe Atchery (Holltor)

Working to make sure refugee levels remain sustainable. This could mean anything from "drastically reduce them to keep Zwangzug for those of us here right now" to "encourage them well into the future," it's not clear. What's strange is that the actual left wing has sort of abandoned the early reason this position was founded, so he could presumably go far.

Capitalism Now Party: William Schein (Ostulf)

Bolstering exports to improve our economic standing or something, then trying to import more stuff too for...a...comparative advantage? Being more integrated into the world economy? Sure, let's go with that.

Digital Party: Brandon Sitteidoy

Advocates--um--e-mailing other governments? Clicking buttons to change our regional affiliation? Probably not having ambassadors or anything because that would require effort.

Independent: Siri Prasert is going to pass, thanks.

Infinite Power Party: Hart Crath (Bonarte)

Take over the world? Who cares, he just wants to run for the sake of reminding us that his party exists.

Isolationist Party: Thomas Brighton

Their first ever representative--it would take more than they have to nominate the guy who just beat Chadwick in the district election. Advocates withdrawing from the foreign scene and dissolving his position, obviously.

Liberal Conservative Party: Melissa Dubois

Signing or beginning treaties about environmental concerns, perhaps taking a more proactive approach to establishing embassies as well.

Libertarian Party: Leonty Gree (Glune)

Increase trade? Um? Maybe with a view to making more free trade? Very unclear. Probably just here for the lulz.

Mental Asylum Party: Lola Chisca

One of their more experienced members. This isn't saying much. No actual platform or, frankly, pretense of getting the position, the party just wants her to run and eventually support another candidate so they have a bargaining chip for the future.

National Socialist Grammarian Writers' Party: Eleazar Tolbert

Advocates a little more forceful and proactive approach to warmongers (i.e. Wezeltonia). Forceful by Zwangzug's standards, which means yelling really loudly and swinging our baseball bats around.

Pragmatic Radical Party: Kurt Michaels

Self-proclaimed Minister for Marine Affairs, wants to, um, build boats or something? And boisterously proclaim our alliances with whichever friendly baseball rivals we're feeling friendly to on the day.

Progressive Traditionalist Party: Jason Madley

Bring in more tourists. And strengthen the guardrails for them so they quit dying and causing a scene. Too soon, in the light of Big Max? Or just the thing to reinvigorate his party?

Vanguard Party: Henry Huxley

Exporting train technology. To boost our economy or, more likely, to get everyone who loves trains out of his face.

Check back soon for the results of the debate!
Factbook
My issues

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:22 am

-Okay, Hart Crath has had enough of floundering like a walrus. He'll support Kurt Michaels. Who won't win either, but will make several amusing aquatic remarks while doing so.

-Siri Prasert and Henry Huxley are more similar than they look at first glance, but are going separate ways--Huxley will endorse Schein of the import schtick, but Prasert endorses...Thomas Brighton! Wow, isolationism is catching on. More symbolic than anything probably but she's from the FTC, so look out.

-Leonty Gree realizes the libertarian wing needs to get itself together if it's going to accomplish anything (it won't, but good try), endorsing Schein. Lola Chisca continues to talk to her fellow leftists...really, as long as the Mental Asylum Party controls the Health Department they're happy. Same goes for the NSGWP and education. When's she going to cave and endorse Dubois so the LibCons can go on being the biggest leftist party whether they want to or not?

-Oh, my. I guess she did want to get back to the job's roots after all. Almost crossing quadrant lines to endorse Atchery. That's really not an easy coalition, though, could it fray before this job is done?

-Sitteidoy endorses Brighton. No surprise, the Digital and Isolationist parties are united by their lack of much of a platform, and you might as well recall the ambassadors if you don't like them.

-"Yarr, we be hatin' pirrracy, and if ourrr rrreadderrrs don't have any money they arrrren't going to rrrespect intellectual prrrroperrrrty laws." A reluctant but unbowed Michaels endorses Schein, which is a pity as the latter would have probably had to cave soon and the ensuing debates will be far less interrresting--stop me.

-Bah, lefties, they're all the same. Except not really. Tolbert follows Chosca's lead in endorsing Atchery. I guess no one else wants to see the LibCons' gain a fourth Cabinet spot if the ProgTrads only have two...?

-Brighton realizes his is a lost cause now. Drops out and asks his supporters to abstain. Fair enough.

-Holding his nose, Schwein is...going...to endorse...the most-free-market remaining candidate. Can't argue with that.

And it's still Atchery. Hilarious.

-Okay, looks inevitable now. Atchery has no need to budge, the LibCons hate the ProgTrads too much to endorse them, and really even if the neutrals fray the ProgTrads realize people don't want them in office or they'd have voted for Chadwick to begin with. The only wrinkle is what if the Birthday Party actually is anti-immigration, but they must have promised that they aren't to the smaller left-wing parties or they'd never have gotten this far. We can always have a vote of confidence if this breaks down.

So, this leaves the LibCons as the plurality leaders of the Cabinet, with three seats to the PTP's two. Whether the Birthday Party actually wants this job as opposed to, say, Citizens' Affairs is a more open question, but at this point, they'll take what they can get. Gabe Atchery, welcome to the Parliament!
Last edited by Zwangzug on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Factbook
My issues

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:39 pm

The Bassabook Baritone

Better red than unread

Traditionalists hold fort

In what will no doubt be heralded as a stirring sign of diversity, Bigtopian-Zwangzugian Alexander McCarthy was confirmed as the new Secretary for Justice after the obligatory fractured Parliamentary vote. In fact his ethnicity is far from the most interesting fact about the esteemed representative from Beldere.

The first is that he was the first representative whose election was announced under the new system. Of course, McCarthy had served two previous terms before then, but all the same, he's the standard-bearer for a new organization. The instant runoffs, as they are now, seem to favor regional clusters of strong candidates--so while Beldere may still be a safe seat for McCarthy's Progressive Traditionalists, even our own Parmel is no longer red, with moderate Lily Sine having won our district on behalf of the Birthday Party.

This would bring us to the second thing, which is that McCarthy is a Progressive Traditionalist--just like the defeated Rudy Smade. The party's still the second-largest, and at least a majority of the Parliament decided it would throw off the balance of power if one of only two parties to hold double-digit seats was reduced to having just one representative. You can't argue with the choice, really--both McCarthy and colleague Bert Infamy have experience in the legal professions, and Infamy would rather be doing something dubious with transportation. (He probably won't, as even Louis Dermott, who rivals Infamy for size, managed to hold onto his seat despite an unusually-strong showing from None Of The Above. We at the Baritone would not dare to cast aspersions on the Liberal Conservatives' methods of retaining power.)

Gone are the times when things are divided eerily neatly--twenty for the LibCons, twenty for the ProgTrads, and twenty for, well, "none of the above." But in fact, there's a pretty neat three-way split if we allow larger coalitions, and perhaps a more telling (if uneven) four-way division. Alongside the Liberal Conservatives, the Mental Asylum Party are rather far-left, and between them they have--an even twenty. The Birthday Party are, admittedly, still more socially liberal than some purported universal "average," which can not be said of the Progressive Traditionalists. Nevertheless, they are similar parties, with seventeen parliamentarians between them.

The remaining twenty-three could be a somewhat-coherent "none of the above" themselves, with one identifiable subcluster around the National Socialist Grammarian Writers' Party. The quirky NSGWP has made the most of having the current Composite Minister (and his short-tenured predecessor) to become perhaps Zwangzug's center party, if not its largest. Importantly, the Digital and Isolationist Parties--gaining more influence in Parliament--seem to default to the NSGWP's general economic tenets in the absence of detailed platforms of their own (besides the obvious). Not as fiscally-inflexible as the LibCons--or indeed even the puritanical Progressive Traditionalists, or Birthday Party!--their competitive nature makes them true "antisocial socialists."

Then there are the eleven representatives who are, economically, right of center (though you'd never know it from a glance at this country). Though one of them could lose their seat the next election out, the Pragmatic Radicals actually have as many representatives as the Mental Asylum Party! (Though no one's thinking of giving them a Cabinet seat.) Obviously, their social views run the gamut from the Infinite Power Party to the Libertarian Party, but when they get their act together, they provide a counterweight to the massive left wing as part of the ever-shifting coalitions.

So, will the natures of cross-border influence result in the polarizing red (PTP) and green (LCP) being replaced by pink (BP) and blue (NSGWP)? It could well happen, or perhaps the older big timers will incentivize extreme minor parties to pull the balance of power away. (When was the last time the Communist Party fielded a decent candidate? Seriously, never under this new system? Okay, they have got to get on that.)

Whatever the case, congratulations to the new representative. He'll certainly have many a contentious debate to preside over.
Factbook
My issues

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates