NATION

PASSWORD

A Young Composer's Music(2009-2012)

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Macea
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

A Young Composer's Music(2009-2012)

Postby Macea » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:48 am

Some of my Music from 2009 to 2012. I began writing music in 08', but no music survived from that time in my life.

Toccata for Piano (2009)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQKyzt7HSek&

String No. 1 (2010-2011)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X2d8cx3CUI&
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E32Wg8HeGw&f&

Gerontion(2012)
Poem by T.S Eliot, set to music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOaNTjPXvWg
Last edited by Macea on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Laugh my friends, the comedy is over.”

"Well, you found me and interrogated me, just do your deeds and bury me."
"Feste, ye cafasya zei en interegazya zei, kas pelè yestas taskè en deulaser zei".

- Markus Thallis, rebel assassin found guilty of the attempted assassination of the Viceroy of Macea, RomulaXVI(2012)

Rasselas
Attaché

Founded: Dec 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Rasselas » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:22 pm

Not the sort of music I usually listen to (or understand), but I quite enjoyed the "Pastoral of the City" movement. Are you a music student?
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

I have a blog about the time I ran away to join the circus.

Macea
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Macea » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:56 pm

Rasselas wrote:Not the sort of music I usually listen to (or understand), but I quite enjoyed the "Pastoral of the City" movement. Are you a music student?

Yep. I'm finishing my last year at the local conservatory.

"Feste, ye cafasya zei en interegazya zei, kas pelè yestas taskè en deulaser zei".

- Markus Thallis, rebel assassin found guilty of the attempted assassination of the Viceroy of Macea, RomulaXVI(2012)

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:11 pm

I really am not feeling very fond of this Toccata. It feels like something is randomly lashing out at me in a dark room in a rather alarming way, though there are a few brief moments (most of the them towards the end) that feel somewhat nice.

The first movement of the String Quartet No. 1 has a somewhat similar problem - it feels very unstable as a piece of music, and certain of the bits - especially the more dissonant melodies - feel like they were written for the sake of sounding different than more mainstream western classical music.
I like the second movement much better. I'm not fond of the ending - it seems to come out of the blue without giving sufficient release.
The third movement sees a return of many of the things I disliked about the first movement. Things come at me suddenly and ideas feel incomplete and disjointed. Overall, throughout the the quartet you seem to build tension without much release, and after a while one feels very desensitized towards the musical ideas.

Your setting of Gerontion immediately strikes me as sounding ugly. The music fails to evoke emotion from me, and the vocalist's melodic lines make it very difficult to understand the lyrics, which consequently lessens the potential impact of the piece significantly. Furthermore, the actually music itself does not, to me, appear to make sense when taken in the context of the words. Your music sounds, at times, like the singer is attempting to deal with the fact that they have just been lit on fire, which does not at all mesh well with the actual subject of the poem.

I apologize if my comments seem somewhat disorganized; I wrote them as I listened.
I also apologize if I come across as rather harsh, but I do not beat around the bush or sugarcoat my feelings when critiquing art - to do so would be doing a disservice to the creator of said art.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:17 pm

I just heard the Toccata. The parts around a minute in and 3 minutes in were great but the atonal stuff at the beginning feels really gratuitous.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Macea
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Macea » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:29 pm

Astrolinium wrote:I really am not feeling very fond of this Toccata. It feels like something is randomly lashing out at me in a dark room in a rather alarming way, though there are a few brief moments (most of the them towards the end) that feel somewhat nice.

The first movement of the String Quartet No. 1 has a somewhat similar problem - it feels very unstable as a piece of music, and certain of the bits - especially the more dissonant melodies - feel like they were written for the sake of sounding different than more mainstream western classical music.
I like the second movement much better. I'm not fond of the ending - it seems to come out of the blue without giving sufficient release.
The third movement sees a return of many of the things I disliked about the first movement. Things come at me suddenly and ideas feel incomplete and disjointed. Overall, throughout the the quartet you seem to build tension without much release, and after a while one feels very desensitized towards the musical ideas.

Your setting of Gerontion immediately strikes me as sounding ugly. The music fails to evoke emotion from me, and the vocalist's melodic lines make it very difficult to understand the lyrics, which consequently lessens the potential impact of the piece significantly. Furthermore, the actually music itself does not, to me, appear to make sense when taken in the context of the words. Your music sounds, at times, like the singer is attempting to deal with the fact that they have just been lit on fire, which does not at all mesh well with the actual subject of the poem.

I apologize if my comments seem somewhat disorganized; I wrote them as I listened.
I also apologize if I come across as rather harsh, but I do not beat around the bush or sugarcoat my feelings when critiquing art - to do so would be doing a disservice to the creator of said art.

Much thanks to your criticism.

On the toccata: I don't like it much either.

On the String Quartet: The disjointed feeling is something i receive often, especially in the the first movement. I would say the disjointed feeling is intentional in the "Scherzo 2" (Which is the final movement - I've changed that in the first post.).

Macea
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Macea » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:47 pm

Meryuma wrote:I just heard the Toccata. The parts around a minute in and 3 minutes in were great but the atonal stuff at the beginning feels really gratuitous.

The toccata was composed over two phases.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction