NATION

PASSWORD

How to read the Bible: An Orthodox perspective

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Veladio
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Veladio » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:04 pm

I don't think you can really tell people how to read a holy book. That would be like me trying to tell someone how to read the Eddas, or The Book of Shadows.
I am a Wiccan. Do not assume I am an Atheist in Religion threads simply because I support complete Secularization of Government Entities.

Social Libertarian (could care less about Economics, there are people who are more educated at it, so it is a waste of time to try and debate me on it.). As stated above I am a Wiccan, and I find solidarity with the Egyptian Deities. I support government secularization as well as complete freedom of religion, as I believe that to truly be secular, the state must respect all beliefs, and favor none. And I recently enlisted in the United States Navy.

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:06 pm

Veladio wrote:I don't think you can really tell people how to read a holy book. That would be like me trying to tell someone how to read the Eddas, or The Book of Shadows.

^This. I just say read it in the way that you feel the most comfortable with. If you regard the Bible as the error free and literal Word of God, read it like that. If you think it is heresy to take the Bible literally and prefer to follow what the translators said, read it that way. Whatever way you prefer.
1 John 1:9

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:04 am

Nordengrund wrote:

I am not a sola scripturist, because I do not regard the Bible as a getting you saved, but as a way for finding out the truth.

That is sola scriptura.

Doesn't the pastor serve the same role as the pope except he is not a physical embodiment of God?

No. A pastor is quite different.

The pope is Catholic, yet you are Orthodox, meaning your loyalty is to the patriarch and not the pope, who you say is the ruler of the true church.

I've yet claim anyone but Christ as the head of the Church. My loyalty is to the Patriarch, who is a bishop of equal primacy of the Pope... which the Catholics deny.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

The Realm of God
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Realm of God » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:26 am

Veladio wrote:I don't think you can really tell people how to read a holy book. That would be like me trying to tell someone how to read the Eddas, or The Book of Shadows.

I thought Wiccans made there own book of shadows.
British, Orthodox Christian, humanist and stoic.

Pro. Disraelian Progressive Conservatism, One Nation Toryism, Distributionism, Civil Liberties, Pro UK, Pro US Constitution. Pro USA.

Progressive Conservative Economic Right: 0.38 Social Libertarian -2.00.

Christian Democrat NSG Senate.

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Ironically, I'm beginning to believe non-denominational protestantism is perhaps the worst kind you can be regarding the dangers of sola scriptura interpretation.

The purpose of the Church, indeed even the division within the church is reforming the canon to stay in line with the intent and purpose of God. A protestant who follows or at least rebukes himself with the canon of his church is staying true that purpose and avoiding the dangers of sola scriptura, even if he disagrees as I do often with my church. I should not avoid seeking their opinion or the opinion of other Christians on my interpretations, I admit I have in many cases but then I prefer to reproach myself in the doctrines of other sects.

That was a bit rambled, I mean to say, a non-denominational believer can cause problems for himself because the Christian Church demands quite strongly that we act as a body. By refusing to hold the canon of anyone protestant church and instead picking and choosing what he likes say from Baptists and Presbyterians but not actively rebuking himself through the church. He is actually dwelling deeper into sola scriptura, by trusting only his own interpretation.

Do not misunderstand Distruzio as saying you don't believe in God or Christ, instead realize that he is correct to say that we protestants do in fact allow for and encourage personal interpretations of scripture.

Things which have led to, as an example the writhing mass of simultaneous hatred, ignorance, and heresy that is the Westboro Baptist Church.

Its not that he's saying that the Orthodox are right and Protestants wrong in their specific interpretations, (though I'm certain he would in certain areas) its that protestants by emphasizing personal interaction with scripture over the canon the church itself presents have created a situation which lets many false Christians triumph bigotries and trumperies that should have been rightly corrected if they had, as the Orthodox do, emphasized that the Bible is a vastly difficult thing to fully understand and that the church as a body is tasked with making it understandable. It should not be done alone without rebuke or debate.
Your Resident Gentleman and Libertarian; presently living in the People's Republic of China, which is if anyone from the Party asks "The Best and Also Only China".
Christian Libertarian Autarchist: like an Anarchist but with more "Aut".
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-8.55)
Economic: Left/Right (7.55)
We are the premiere of civilization, the beacon of liberty, the font of prosperity and the ever illuminating light of culture in this hellish universe.
In short: Elitist Wicked Cultured Free Market Anarchists living in a Diesel-Deco World.

Now Fearing: Mandarin Lessons from Cantonese teachers.
Factbook (FT)|Art Gallery|Embassy Program

TriStates
Senator

Founded: Apr 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby TriStates » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:55 pm

Genivaria wrote:Step 1. Pick up bible.
Step 2. Open bible to first page.
Step 3. Move your eyes down the page.
Step 4. Turn to next page.
Repeat steps 3-4 until book is finished. Congratulations, your now reading the the bible like a pro.

And just because you tell a six-grader to pick up & read The Wealth of Nations doesn't mean he will comprehend it. The Bibles not exactly light reading of itself.
Last edited by TriStates on Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vytautas wrote:There are two kinds of people in this world:
* people giving a fuck,
* people not giving a fuck,
Drink Vytautas, give a NEGATIVE FUCK!
The Burning Sun wrote:...you seem to experience what I shall completely non-offensively dub the Triplex, or TriStates Complex - you spend a ton of time crafting a beautiful work of collaboration, and then you mysteriously disappear...

The Starlight wrote:
TriStates wrote::( I don't like change...

It's coarse and dry and gets everywhere. :p

But I do get what you mean.
My Past Adventures: After World

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:32 pm

TriStates wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Step 1. Pick up bible.
Step 2. Open bible to first page.
Step 3. Move your eyes down the page.
Step 4. Turn to next page.
Repeat steps 3-4 until book is finished. Congratulations, your now reading the the bible like a pro.

And just because you tell a six-grader to pick up & read The Wealth of Nations doesn't mean he will comprehend it. The Bibles not exactly light reading of itself.

Please don't go digging up threads that have been quietly mouldering in the grave for almost two years. Thank you.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General