NATION

PASSWORD

9/11 Coloring Book With Terrorist Trading Cards?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

9/11 Coloring Book With Terrorist Trading Cards?

Postby TaQud » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:39 pm

Apparently there is one in this world.

Link

A year after the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, a coloring book company has published a new book for kids about terrorism. It's called "We Shall never Forget 9/11, Volume II: The True Faces of Evil-Terror" and, among the black-and-white outlines of memorials and military men, it features collectible trading cards with photos and information about terrorists around the world.

"This is not the type of book that you would give to a pre-Kindergarten child, to put in his backpack and send him off to school," Wayne Bell, the publisher of St. Louis-based Big Coloring Books Inc., told Yahoo! Shine in an interview. (He is quick to point out that it's more of a "graphic coloring novel.") "This is a teaching and learning tool that's rated PG-13."

"A lot of people seem to think that there's a disconnect with the public in general when it comes to teaching children about terrorism and terrorist activity," Bells adds. "A lot of people want to be politically correct. It's just really difficult to deal with that subject sometimes."

The 40-page book features black-and-white drawings of the branches of the U.S. military and outlined images of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, all ready and waiting be colored in. It also features photos of 9/11 crash sites, excerpts from a letter from Rep. Michele Bachman questioning the head of Homeland Security about the Muslim Brotherhood, and four full-color pull-out pages of glossy trading cards.

On the table of contents page kids are urged to "share the information in this book with your friends, neighbors, teachers, educators, religious leaders." They're also cautioned to get their parents' permission before taking the book to school "to share with friends."

Frankly I'm disturbed on how we would teach our children of 9-11 from coloring the events. :shock: :unsure:

Your Thoughts NSG?
Last edited by TaQud on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:41 pm

Trading cards gain value as collectibles. It would be interesting to speculate about which terrorists would become the hottest items.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:43 pm

"I'll trade you my Timothy McVeigh for your Osama bin Laden."
"What?! No way! He isn't as rare or as powerful as Osama bin Laden, and his God n' Guns ability is weaker than bin Laden's Jihad Shriek!"
Last edited by Vareiln on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TaQud
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:43 pm

Pope Joan wrote:Trading cards gain value as collectibles. It would be interesting to speculate about which terrorists would become the hottest items.

probably the most current terrorist... :unsure:
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)

TaQud
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:45 pm

Vareiln wrote:"I'll trade you my Timothy McVeigh for your Osama bin Laden."
"What?! No way! He isn't as rare or as powerful as Osama bin Laden, and his God n' Guns ability is weaker than bin Laden's Jihad Shriek!"

its Pokemon's next compeition :lol:

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:48 pm

"All right, how about if I throw in Evidence of WMDs with McVeigh?"
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:50 pm

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/175/4310 ... 2e3a_m.jpg

Apparently the Defense Intelligence Agency has already covered this product line, back in 2007.

http://nofearofthefuture.blogspot.com/2 ... m-all.html

Is my linked story real or a hoax? I can't tell.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:53 pm

I'm so sigging this.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:55 pm

Pope Joan wrote:Trading cards gain value as collectibles. It would be interesting to speculate about which terrorists would become the hottest items.

What you did there. I see it.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Alyekra
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:57 pm

Yeah, this is slightly disturbing.
(FOR LEGAL REASONS, THAT'S A JOKE)

65 dkp

TaQud
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:59 pm

Alyekra wrote:Yeah, this is slightly disturbing.

yeah drawing the smoke or fire coming from the towers makes it feel demented somewhat (IMO)

TaQud
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:59 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:

What you did there. I see it.

oh i just realized it now...

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:01 pm

"This is not the type of book that you would give to a pre-Kindergarten child, to put in his backpack and send him off to school," Wayne Bell, the publisher of St. Louis-based Big Coloring Books Inc., told Yahoo! Shine in an interview. (He is quick to point out that it's more of a "graphic coloring novel.") "This is a teaching and learning tool that's rated PG-13."

Cause you know what kids over the age of 13 love? Coloring books.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Cestyr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cestyr » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:05 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:

^This

I have no idea what the best audience for this book would be. Perhaps 6-7 year olds with fiercely patriotic parents?
Last edited by Cestyr on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CA F1 - In progress!
Mirage - Started!
CMBT - In queue
Missile - Cancelled!

Vazeckta
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazeckta » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:10 pm

This will be sigged.

On topic, I don't really see the point of trading cards, but educating kids about the event slowly, like through a coloring book, might be best. I doubt videos of exploding planes and stuff should be shown to a 5 year old who wants to know why he had a moment if silence in kindergarten. Then again, I was five when I saw the footage, so meh.
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.72
I would probably vote with the American Libertarian Party.
I'm a Christian.
Likes:Capitalism, Classical liberalism, religion, state secularism,gay marriage, charity, God
Dislikes:Left-wing economics, statism, authoritarianism, theocracy, state atheism, social security, welfare, UN, DPRK, PRC
Meh:Teetotalism, pro-choice, EU, legalizing drugs
Blazedtown wrote:
Gladia wrote:I hope you two don't plan on procreating.

Why? A family cross burning is a great bonding activity.

Constavia (Ancient)
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Constavia (Ancient) » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:18 pm

The idea that children will not know about 9/11 and need this makes me feel old. Just like when nobody but I could remember the death of Zachary Taylor.

TaQud
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:23 pm

Cestyr wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:

^This

I have no idea what the best audience for this book would be. Perhaps 6-7 year olds with fiercely patriotic parents?

Maybe Sons and Daughters of Tea Partier Parents...

Cestyr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cestyr » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:25 pm

TaQud wrote:
Cestyr wrote:^This

Maybe Sons and Daughters of Tea Partier Parents...

Well that's what I wanted to say ;)
CA F1 - In progress!
Mirage - Started!
CMBT - In queue
Missile - Cancelled!

TaQud
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:29 pm

Cestyr wrote:
TaQud wrote:Maybe Sons and Daughters of Tea Partier Parents...

Well that's what I wanted to say ;)

Well it was the only group of people i think that are the most (or one of them) patriotic...

Sulamalik
Minister

Founded: Apr 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:35 pm

Hey, at least it's better than Hamas' way of teaching kids about terrorism.
Freiheit Reich wrote:"Economically disadvantaged and angry urban youth music."
Is that a nicer and more modern term to use?

Everbeek
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Everbeek » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:50 am

Ok, he might be considered a criminal, and may or may not be a sexual predator, but what fucked up definition makes Julian Assange a terrorist?
The Awesomeness Formerly Known As Campinia
Cromarty wrote:Antifa, the Internationale and the Red Fleet are encased in the largest glass house in existence, and they're not throwing stones, they're firing boulders from catapults.

Big Jim P wrote:
Everbeek wrote:I never say "for god's sake", I always say "for fuck's sake", for the rest I don't care much

Fucking created most of us, so fucking IS god.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:03 am

Darn, i have 1000 of my card and all totally worthless...
better blow up the whitehouse, then i can make a killing!
(Dohohoho.)
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

TaQud
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:23 am

Everbeek wrote:Ok, he might be considered a criminal, and may or may not be a sexual predator, but what fucked up definition makes Julian Assange a terrorist?

i'm not sure tbh :unsure:

I V Stalin
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby I V Stalin » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:10 am

...Volume II?

There was a Volume I? And it sold enought to warrant a Volume II? :eyebrow:
One million deaths is a statistic. One death is a smaller statistic.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to tell if they're legitimate" - Abraham Lincoln

Farnhamia - "The concept of zero means nothing."

Like football? Like The Blizzard

Nachfolgia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nachfolgia » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:28 am

who would make this? :palm:

Military Factbook
The best damn alliance to ever grace NS
Strike witches

Accomplished Member of the The Age Of Neophytos RP Group