NATION

PASSWORD

Why "Planned Parenthood" is wrong.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Transhuman Proteus
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Transhuman Proteus » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:55 am

Celement wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:
What does this have to do with anything?

I just really don't see the logic in comparing a human foetus to a tumour.

A human tumor.

Parchelon
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Parchelon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:01 am

Well if this thread has convinced me of anything its the futility of arguing online, or at the very least trying to argue with several people at the same time about different things when your one of the few people consistently arguing an opposing side. Though I am leaving I will certainly take your arguments into account and will ponder them carefully, especially in regards to countering the claim that morality is purely a subjective concept, and also the Absolute bodily autonomy argument. In any event, it has been an interesting experience to say the least, good day.

The Tofu Islands
Minister

Founded: Mar 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tofu Islands » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:06 am

Rupture Farms co wrote:Planned Parenthood was founded by a racist, feminist, fascist/communist, eugenicist.

Watch this video fully and don't blow it away because it is a Christian one, it makes some very good scientific points.

Racist? Yeah sure. Lots of folk were racist back then. She did not tolerate discrimination among her staff, and opened a clinic specifically for blacks. So while she was racist, she did generally do work for blacks as well as for whites.

Feminist? What's the problem here?

Fascist/communist? Any evidence whatsoever? (Side note: she hated Nazi Germany and was anti-militaristic.)

Eugenicist? Eugenics was incredibly popular in the US at the time. In fact, the German systems were by-and-large inspired by those that already existed legally in the US. The last official eugenics program ended in the '70s in North Carolina. So while it's a nice way to smear someone now, it wasn't some extraordinary and radical position back then. (Side note: she argued against euthanasia.)

She was, fundamentally, a product of her time. What does any of this have to do with Planned Parenthood as it is now?

EDITS: side-notes.
Last edited by The Tofu Islands on Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:27 am

Celement wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:
What does this have to do with anything?

I just really don't see the logic in comparing a human foetus to a tumour.

Both are small bundles of cells with human DNA that is somewhat varied from the host. Both live within a human body, and can't survive outside it. Both can significantly impact the health of the host.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:28 am

Parchelon wrote:Well if this thread has convinced me of anything its the futility of arguing online, or at the very least trying to argue with several people at the same time about different things when your one of the few people consistently arguing an opposing side. Though I am leaving I will certainly take your arguments into account and will ponder them carefully, especially in regards to countering the claim that morality is purely a subjective concept, and also the Absolute bodily autonomy argument. In any event, it has been an interesting experience to say the least, good day.

By the Emperor... we've won!

Imperium Immortalis
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Immortalis » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:48 am

Samuraikoku wrote:
Parchelon wrote:Well if this thread has convinced me of anything its the futility of arguing online, or at the very least trying to argue with several people at the same time about different things when your one of the few people consistently arguing an opposing side. Though I am leaving I will certainly take your arguments into account and will ponder them carefully, especially in regards to countering the claim that morality is purely a subjective concept, and also the Absolute bodily autonomy argument. In any event, it has been an interesting experience to say the least, good day.

By the Emperor... we've won!

The Emperor protects!
LOST

The Realm of God
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Realm of God » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:56 am

Relevent

British, Orthodox Christian, humanist and stoic.

Pro. Disraelian Progressive Conservatism, One Nation Toryism, Distributionism, Civil Liberties, Pro UK, Pro US Constitution. Pro USA.

Progressive Conservative Economic Right: 0.38 Social Libertarian -2.00.

Christian Democrat NSG Senate.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:36 am

Dempublicents1 wrote:
Parchelon wrote:Late term surgical abortions that occur after the foetus has developed a basic nervous system do register pain in the child, hence the pressure in some places to ban abortions after the unborn child can feel pain.

Interestingly, in the US, a single form of late-term abortion has been banned across the board. That particular procedure would minimize any pain felt by the fetus and would also preserve the fetus intact for a grieving family who have made the difficult decision to abort at this stage because of medical considerations. The alternative that they still allow involves tearing the fetus into multiple pieces which then have to be reconstructed to ensure that the entire body has been removed. Families cannot be given a body to hold and grieve over.

Yeah, no. It doesn't seem that the people fighting to prohibit said procedure care one bit about minimizing pain.

I just want to bump this because it's a really critical point that most people don't seem aware of.

"Late term abortion" is still just as legal in the USA as it was before the "ban," which is to say it still is only done in cases of medical necessity and there is literally not a single case of elective 3rd trimester abortion on the books. The only thing that "pro-life" folks accomplished was to make sure that the safest and least traumatic method of abortion CANNOT be used legally, and doctors must instead do something that is both more destructive for the fetus and also more medically dangerous for the woman.

I know the current anti-choicer has fled, so this is not likely to get any substantive response, but it still bears repeating.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Homosexy
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Homosexy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:45 pm

Is this argument really still going?
Hii!! My name is Shellby. Yes, I am a girl. Yes, that is me in my flag. :)
There's only us. There's only this. Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. No other road, no other way. No day but today.
Love and expression, not hate and oppression!!~

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:48 pm

Homosexy wrote:Is this argument really still going?

The last person contesting it retired in last page, Ms. Shellby.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General