NATION

PASSWORD

Does Godlessness effect Acts of God?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Friendship Island
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Does Godlessness effect Acts of God?

Postby Friendship Island » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:29 pm

I'm trying to figure out why my "Acts of God" rate continues to raise even though religion is not a huge part of the nation. Im thinking that that right there is the cause, the more Godlessness the more Acts of God goes up? That would be very odd though, I'd figure a nation that doesn't have a national religion (agnosticism technically, as it said) would be less closer to religion and wouldn't really count things like Acts of God on their surveys on death, because they don't really take religion seriously. Is what I thought true?...
[violet] wrote:That was a lot of caps for someone with such a happy flag.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:47 pm

Acts of God = natural disasters (earthquakes, tornadoes, and the like). Godlessness has nothing to do with it.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:18 pm

Individuality-ness wrote:Acts of God = natural disasters (earthquakes, tornadoes, and the like). Godlessness has nothing to do with it.

You don't actually know that, so please don't post as if you are certain you're correct.

Spartan Philidelphia
Minister

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Spartan Philidelphia » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:37 pm

Friendship Island wrote:I'm trying to figure out why my "Acts of God" rate continues to raise even though religion is not a huge part of the nation. Im thinking that that right there is the cause, the more Godlessness the more Acts of God goes up? That would be very odd though, I'd figure a nation that doesn't have a national religion (agnosticism technically, as it said) would be less closer to religion and wouldn't really count things like Acts of God on their surveys on death, because they don't really take religion seriously. Is what I thought true?...

My nation is even more godless than yours, but I don't have Acts of God upon my nation. More Godlessness probably doesn't mean more Acts of God.
Spartan Philidelphia
Region: Sparta
[Defunct] National Corporation:
The Spartan Philidelphia Almost Anything Corporation
Leader: Luigi Mario
National Religion: Pastafarianism
Population: 50,420,000

Thank you all powerful moderators who were sent by Max Barry to protect us from all things spammy and trollish.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:52 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Individuality-ness wrote:Acts of God = natural disasters (earthquakes, tornadoes, and the like). Godlessness has nothing to do with it.

You don't actually know that, so please don't post as if you are certain you're correct.

Eep! Sorry, great Fris.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Communal Ecotopia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Communal Ecotopia » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:

True. We don't know, but what individuality-ness says makes some sense. Then again, it leaves us with more questions than answers...questions I've actually asked myself since my nation is pretty agnostic/atheist.
Political Compass -10, -9.28

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:56 pm

I have a sneaking suspicion that it does - for example it only seems to appear on my religious nation puppets.

Zevassa
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zevassa » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:00 pm

My assumption, based on nothing but a comparison between our two nations, is no.

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=frie ... ail=people
http://www.nationstates.net/nation=zeva ... ail=people
http://www.nationstates.net/page=compar ... hip+island

If we add in my other nation, Zembrill, we come up with this:
http://www.nationstates.net/nation=zemb ... ail=people
http://www.nationstates.net/page=compar ... n=zembrill

I don't think it correlates but this isn't really evidence, it's just an observation.

Both of my nations (if I remember correctly) allow multiple religions. Zembrill is extremely environmentalist while Zevassa is more passive about it; Friendship Island also appears to be somewhat environmentalist by comparison. Again, just observations here, but my assumption at this point is that it has more to do with factors other than Godlessness, and that the Environment might be one of them.
Female Human Rogue 1 (0/1000 exp)
Chaotic Good

HP: 6/6
Abilities: STR 9 (-1); DEX 17 (+3); CON 10 (±0); INT 15 (+2); WIS 12 (+1); CHA 11 (±0)
AC: 15 = 10 + 1 (Padded Armor) + 1 (Buckler) + 3 (DEX)
Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarven
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Nimble Fingers

Full character sheet

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Radiatia wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion that it does - for example it only seems to appear on my religious nation puppets.

Stats for my nation concerning leading cause of death: 63% old age, 31% lost in wilderness, 3% Acts of God, 3% Free Thinker attack.
I'm also in the top 10% for most Godforsaken. That's why I made the assumption...

Not a definitive answer, but Acts of God was defined as, in layman's terms, natural disasters (this is a common phrase in warranties and stuff), and I don't see how believing in deities somehow affects this figure.

If I'm wrong, I do apologize for misleading people.

Zevassa
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zevassa » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:18 pm

It might have to do with overall Industry, Lifespan, Tourism, Toxicity, Weaponization, Weather, Population, Culture, Eco-Friendliness, Environmental Beauty, Freedom From Corruption, Ideological Radicality, or Health, as those are the ones our four nations reflect the statistics correctly for. A lot of those have to do with population/health/environment, so it's probably some factor of some/all of the above.
Female Human Rogue 1 (0/1000 exp)
Chaotic Good

HP: 6/6
Abilities: STR 9 (-1); DEX 17 (+3); CON 10 (±0); INT 15 (+2); WIS 12 (+1); CHA 11 (±0)
AC: 15 = 10 + 1 (Padded Armor) + 1 (Buckler) + 3 (DEX)
Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarven
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Nimble Fingers

Full character sheet

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:39 pm

Individuality-ness wrote:
Radiatia wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion that it does - for example it only seems to appear on my religious nation puppets.

Stats for my nation concerning leading cause of death: 63% old age, 31% lost in wilderness, 3% Acts of God, 3% Free Thinker attack.
I'm also in the top 10% for most Godforsaken. That's why I made the assumption...

Not a definitive answer, but Acts of God was defined as, in layman's terms, natural disasters (this is a common phrase in warranties and stuff), and I don't see how believing in deities somehow affects this figure.

If I'm wrong, I do apologize for misleading people.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

While that's the definition in real life, I highly doubt that the game adheres to any RL definitions.

Secondly - your nation will be considered, by the game, to be more religious than mine as you have defined an official religion (even though you have named it Agnosticism), whereas I (ranked in top 5% for Godlessness) have constantly dismissed that issue or chosen the atheistic answer.

I'm not a mod or an issues editor and I'd love it if they'd be so kind as to give us a straight answer, but there you go ;)

EDIT: A better way of wording it would be to say that if you have any religion in your country, then you are likely to see this appear. I'm sure it'll have to do with those so-called "sekrit" stats they're always prattling on about....
Last edited by Radiatia on Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:38 pm

Radiatia wrote:I'm not a mod or an issues editor and I'd love it if they'd be so kind as to give us a straight answer

Already have!
[violet] wrote:Religious nations tend to ascribe more Acts to God than non-religious nations.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical