NATION

PASSWORD

Draft for WA Proposal: Ban of Political Asylum/prisoners

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Settimio Land
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Draft for WA Proposal: Ban of Political Asylum/prisoners

Postby Settimio Land » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:44 am

NOTE:I DONT SPEAK ENGLISH AS WELL AS YOU, MY MAIN LANGUAGE IS ITALIAN, AND I NEED HELP STATING THIS PROPOSAL AS FORMAL AS POSSIBLE, I COUNT ON YOU!!! :) :bow:

Council: General Assembly
Category: Moral Decency

Name: Ban of Political Asylum and political prisoners
Description:The Act known as Political Asylum is, in my view and of many others, a COWARD act in which criminals find a way to escape the law of their own Nation/Region, calling themselves political prisoners. The worst crimes are, in fact, the ones against people that can't react to the powerful governments. In many years we saw what powerful governments can do to the economy, safety and moral decendy of Nations and even entire regions; Hereby, I, as The Representative of The Region of Divounia Nisida, declare in accordance with other members of the WA, that the abolishment of such act known as political asylum and political prisoners must be effective immediately for our own safety and for our own decency. They must End, and also these criminals must be tried in specific courts, with the decision of condemn to banning the subjected nations or regions. The law is equal for everybody, and not decided by power, religion, race or nationality of subjected criminal. these crimes are international and MUST be tried, to stop these coward acts that destroy a nation/region morality

The King of The Holy Empire of Settimio Land and WA representative for the region of Divonuia Nisida.

P.S: help me out, i don't know what to do, and even if it's possible. i think for a draft is good right? :?:

thanks!!!

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:57 am

We are firmly convinced that Political Asylum, while it does have a potential for abuse on rare occassions, is overall a good thing, and therefore we would oppose any such ban.

(assistance & advise - When writing a proposal, avoid at all costs "branding", which means putting your own nation or regions name in as part of the proposal.)
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:04 am

OOC: Your English is much better than my Italian, so don't worry about that ;)

I'm vaguely opposed to this proposal. I think it's impossible to broadly determine all political refugees as having broken the law. Some nations have completely absurd laws which Hirota would never surrender a political refugee were one accused of such a breach of those laws.

Having said that, I do think there is scope for legislation on this issue - perhaps the encouragement of extradition treaties between member states where both nations recognise the crime in question as an actual crime - but I imagine the vast majority of member states would have agreements in place already.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:17 am

I agree with Hirota on one point, that this may be better served as an extradition agreement proposal, one which could lay down the procedures to extradite criminals from one nation to another.

But as an overall, one size fits all, wide sweeping ban? No, that I could never support.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:09 am

Aside form the branding violation already cited, this has formatting problems as well. Proposals must contain actionable clauses directing nations as to what they must do to be in compliance with the resolution. This is just a childish essay. It is also filed under the wrong category: Political Stability would be a better fit.

I advise you to read the rules before making any further attempts to legislate here.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:47 am

Apart from branding, there exists a resolution concerning the rights of refugees and I am convinced that this draft may contradict it.

Since I am a freedom loving nation, I cannot support this idea. It is quite good to actually give security to people who are fleeing from oppressive regimes, but I am not saying that I abhor all ideologies here.

New Olwe
Minister

Founded: Aug 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Olwe » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:58 am

As a nation that has accepted many refugees in the past, New Olwe could never support a proposal like this one. Let us not forget that there are still some theocracies out there who legislate things like homosexuality. Is the ambassador from Settimio Land suggesting that it's okay to oppress gays? Because if he is, there would be no other recourse for this openly bisexual ambassador than to demand satisfaction and challenge him to a duel.

Isabelle Hayes, Olwean Ambassador to the WA

(OOC: Not bi in real life, not that there's anything wrong with that.)
Magic-using nation here! I don't RP in MT.
I seem to have forgotten to post the part where my ambassador informs New Olwe's representative that we will help. I'll do that later, I hope. - Fortareata
Start an Embassy in New Olwe!

Ilharessa
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ilharessa » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:12 am

"We could never support this proposal. There are plenty of criminal codes which we do not believe to be just and we would not be quite as willing to extradite someone to such a code. Our own is harsh enough as it is," the ambassadoress said.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly