NATION

PASSWORD

Ban on collective punishment?

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Ban on collective punishment?

Postby Enn » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:14 pm

So the idea of collective punishment came up in the SC. I'm not sure whether it's been banned by the WA at all. So I did consider extensively reading the passed resolutions list, but then realised that there are people here who'd be able to tell me off the top of their heads the answer to my query.

So, have we banned collective punishment? If not, I think it'd be a good place to write a Human Rights proposal on.
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:23 pm

Hmmm. Look over The Charter of Civil Rights and Convention Against Genocide. I'm not sure if they would explicitly cover what you're talking about or not. This may be something that has fallen through the cracks and calls for new legislation. I'll look them over some more when I'm not so sleepy.
OOC puppet of Yelda

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:30 pm

Bah, I think my plans to return to the resolutions list has been thwarted before it began. I suspect that what I'm talking about would be covered by what's in the Convention Against Genocide. Ah well, back to the old drawing board.
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Nagami
Secretary

Founded: Oct 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nagami » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:27 pm

OOC:
"3. Member nations must provide aid, protection and refuge to victims of genocide to the best of their ability, and must deny such aid to the perpetrators of genocide."
hmm doesn't that mean that two ethical groups trying to exterminate each other have nowhere to to flee?

if so :palm:

Ilharessa
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ilharessa » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:47 pm

I see nothing which directly covers this, but I suspect a number of resolutions combine to cover it indirectly.

As such, may I suggest writing up a resolution that covers it directly? If one or two of those resolutions get repealed, then it might become legal again.
Last edited by Ilharessa on Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:45 pm

I would recommend crafting a resolution that bridges the gap between the two, as opposed to striking down the other two and making one large comprehensive one. It seems more targeted resolutions pass easier than broad, sweeping, generalizing ones, and quite rightly so.

Return to General Assembly