NATION

PASSWORD

Draft: Abolition of Capital Punishment Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Ambridge County
Attaché

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Draft: Abolition of Capital Punishment Act

Postby Ambridge County » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:44 pm

NOTING that capital punishment is an abuse of human rights,

RECOGNIZING that discrepancies exist within the capital punishment system to the point where innocent individuals are executed,

RECOGNIZING that capital punishment has not been proven to deter crime,

HEREBY abolishes the act of capital punishment.

It's a bit weak now, but input would be appreciated. I probably won't submit it; it's more of a run-through than anything else.
Last edited by Ambridge County on Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laos Refugees wrote:Hey there!
I got a simple, easy to read answer to your question that made TONS of sense!
Here comes your answer!
See it yet?
Oh no, that's not it.
Oh wait, is that it?
Yes it is!
Your answer is!
Shut the fuck up!

Burninati0n
Envoy

Founded: Oct 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Burninati0n » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:52 pm

My advice: drop it.

I think that the majority of WA members will not like the WA deciding how they can and cannot punish their own criminals. It's a sovereignty issue.

Myself included in that category ;)

Though, if you are really wanting to go through with it, put in a few clauses about understanding how some feel it is necessary to execute people for certain crimes. Then go into a definition of capital punishment, then the reasons it is bad, then outlaw it.
Last edited by Burninati0n on Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

One Starr
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 30, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby One Starr » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:55 pm

ooc: I understand that the objection of solely Nat SoV is not useable, but I have to say that this seems to be little more than an attempt to micro manage nations, and punishment of crimes should be left to the individual nations.

Plus I must vehemently disagree that Capital Punishment is an abuse or violation of so called Human Rights. (Plus this then leaves to beg the question of nations inhabited by Non Human Sentients -what about their so called Rights?)

Please defend your assertion that it is an abuse or violation of Human Rights.

OC: "And while it may not have proven to deter crime in Your Nation, who are you to say that it has not done so in Mine? The wide spread knowledge that if you violate certain of One Starr's few laws that you WILL be put to death, no appeal process, no sitting for years on a so called 'Death Row', is quite deterent I assure you."

Ambridge County
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Ambridge County » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:04 pm

The problem with capital punishment is the hypocrisy surrounding it: Murder is bad unless it is sanctioned by the state. Capital punishment is an archaic and barbaric act that violates the sanctity of life -- admittedly, evil life, but life nonetheless.

I know that some nations feel that the death penalty is a deterrent to crime, but this is not something that can be proven empirically.
Here comes your answer!
See it yet?
Oh no, that's not it.
Oh wait, is that it?
Yes it is!
Your answer is!
Shut the fuck up!

One Starr
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 30, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby One Starr » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:07 pm

But I have to disagree that judicially ordered execution is murder, just as a soldier killing in combat is not murder. Murder is the illegal taking of life.

Ambridge County
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Ambridge County » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:09 pm

One Starr wrote:But I have to disagree that judicially ordered execution is murder, just as a soldier killing in combat is not murder. Murder is the illegal taking of life.

The laws of war are different. And it is also the phrase "judicially-ordered" that irks me: How is it acceptable for a small group of people to judge whether one lives or dies? If it can be tolerated in one circumstance, eventually it'll spread out to all circumstances.
Here comes your answer!
See it yet?
Oh no, that's not it.
Oh wait, is that it?
Yes it is!
Your answer is!
Shut the fuck up!

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:12 pm

IC: Not taking into account the mechanics or material of the draft, I like to give my nation's kids a good paddlin' when they get a bit too clever. It shows them how low they really are compared to authority. OOC: Therefore, I'd have to oppose this proposal, just based on the beliefs of my nation.
Last edited by A mean old man on Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:48 pm

opposed. drop it. Do not push your personal morals onto other nations.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Allbeama
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:01 pm

I am prepared to vote against this as it is simply because it has weak reasoning behind it. And in the interest of my sovereignty I also oppose this.
Last edited by Allbeama on Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agonarthis Terra, My Homeworld.
The Internet loves you. mah Factbook

Hope lies in the smouldering rubble of Empires.

Tanaara
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tanaara » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:37 am

"When a person has committed a crime grave enought to warrent the death penality, why should I ask the honest, law abiding Citizens of my nation to fund such a criminals continued life? That criminal has voluntarily abrogated the human compact, they have let loose of their humanity. I don't allow viscious dogs to live, why should a person who has voluntarily chosen such reprehensible actions recieve preferential treatment?"

New Olwe
Minister

Founded: Aug 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Olwe » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:58 am

Vehemently opposed. Your version of capital punishment might not be a deterrent, but your version of capital punishment is probably lethal injection or something similarly wimpy. If executed properly (pun intended), I assure you that the death penalty is indeed a deterrent.

Also, on a personal note to the delegate from A Mean Old Man: I've been a very naughty girl.

Isabelle Hayes, Olwean Ambassador to the WA
Magic-using nation here! I don't RP in MT.
I seem to have forgotten to post the part where my ambassador informs New Olwe's representative that we will help. I'll do that later, I hope. - Fortareata
Start an Embassy in New Olwe!

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:54 am

Our government expresses utmost contempt for this hopefully ill-fated resolution.
I think that it is a human right, a right of the masses to dispose of those who seek to harm society, by the arm of justice which our people's tribunals represent.
Executing a wrongdoer is no more murder than putting him in jail constitutes false imprisonment, or fining an act of theft.
I advise you to spend your time working for your country in more productive ways.

RSDr. Stefan Kozlovic , WA Delegate of DR of Central Slavia
Kosovo is Serbia!
Embassy Anthem Store Facts

Glorious Homeland wrote:
You would be wrong. There's something wrong with the Americans, the Japanese are actually insane, the Chinese don't seem capable of free-thought and just defer judgement to the most powerful strong man, the Russians are quite like that, only more aggressive and mad, and Belarus? Hah.

Omnicracy wrote:The Soviet Union did not support pro-Soviet governments, it compleatly controled them. The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions

Great Nepal wrote:Please stick to OFFICIAL numbers. Why to go to scholars,[cut]

Elktown
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elktown » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:59 am

Criminals will be punished however each nation decides.
Delegate From the Phoenix Empire

Founder of the Confederation of Allied Nations

Vystercia-Nasucrea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 27, 2009
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Vystercia-Nasucrea » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:01 am

A basic part of the role of government is the power to coerce. Indeed, the very nature and purpose of government is inherently coercive. Without capital punishment, government is as toothless and impotent as parents who can't spank their children.
"In choosing myself, I choose man." Jean-Paul Sartre
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V from V For Vendetta
"What usually happens when people without guns stand up to people with guns." - Inspector Finch from V For Vendetta
"So, this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause." - Padme Amidala from Revenge of the Sith

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:21 am

Ambridge County wrote:
One Starr wrote:But I have to disagree that judicially ordered execution is murder, just as a soldier killing in combat is not murder. Murder is the illegal taking of life.

The laws of war are different. And it is also the phrase "judicially-ordered" that irks me: How is it acceptable for a small group of people to judge whether one lives or dies? If it can be tolerated in one circumstance, eventually it'll spread out to all circumstances.

How is it acceptable that 1 person can decide if one or many die, all without judicial proceedings by committing murder? How can anybody put the rights of the murderer above those of the law-abiding citizens of a nation? How can anybody claim, "There is no evidence that capital punishment works as a deterrent? Those convicted and executed are deterred. We are also curious as to why the prime argument against the death penalty has always been this "deterrent" issue? We do not execute heinous criminals who have committed murder in order to encourage others not to follow their footsteps, it is to punish those convicted of those acts so heinous as to have caused the forfeiture of their right to live.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:51 am

The Mind of Charlotte Ryberg has abolished the death penalty for all crimes, but I feel that it is not in the best interests of the World Assembly to force a moratorium on the death sentence.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:57 am

One Starr wrote:ooc: I understand that the objection of solely Nat SoV is not useable, but I have to say that this seems to be little more than an attempt to micro manage nations, and punishment of crimes should be left to the individual nations.

OOC: You can object to a proposal/resolution purely on NatSov grounds, you just can't use that as your sole reason to repeal a resolution.

Ilharessa
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ilharessa » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:37 am

Ambridge County wrote:NOTING that capital punishment is an abuse of human rights,

"Nonsentient beings don't have any automatically-granted rights," Velnayanis began. "And before you protest that, I will reverse my position on human sentience the moment humans can satisafactorily defend their own sentience. If a people cannot even convince some members of their own species that they are sentient, then why should anyone else believe them?

Secondly, getting to what you actually intended to say, we would note that we do not see is as such. A violation of the natural rights of a sentient species would require doing something cruel that is not a necessary response to actions they have taken to prove they cannot be allowed out in general society. Forcing someone to live naked in a cave for a year just because they forgot to use their turn signal would be such a violation. Executing a mass-murderer who would surgically implant land mines with proximity fuses inside of children and then send them running into a shopping mall would not be such a violation."

RECOGNIZING that discrepancies exist within the capital punishment system to the point where innocent individuals are executed,

"And innocent individuals are jailed for life and end up living out the rest of their lives in a cage as a result of mistakes in justice systems, only for it to be discovered they were innocent long after their death. What is your point?"

RECOGNIZING that capital punishment has not been proven to deter crime,

The ambassadoress snorts. "Then you're not doing it right. We do not use those utterly wimpy lethal injections where the poor sod is put into a deep sleep before we pump in the chemicals. We use a sniper squad. And so far, it's been very effective."

HEREBY abolishes the act of capital punishment.

"I would agree with my colleagues; drop it."

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:00 pm

Do not drop it.
My nation would love to vote in this..

New Olwe
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Olwe » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:56 pm

EvilDarkMagicians wrote:Do not drop it.

Then you aren't very evil.

Or dark, for that matter.
I seem to have forgotten to post the part where my ambassador informs New Olwe's representative that we will help. I'll do that later, I hope. - Fortareata

Ambridge County
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Ambridge County » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:57 pm

Again, I don't intend on submitting it. I would have appreciated feedback other than yea or nay -- suggestions as to how it can be improved and how any improvements could help change your mind, etc. But I guess I was asking for a bit much.
Here comes your answer!
See it yet?
Oh no, that's not it.
Oh wait, is that it?
Yes it is!
Your answer is!
Shut the fuck up!

Ilharessa
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ilharessa » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:59 pm

"Ambassador, don't be discouraged. There are some topics that are automatically going to cause trouble. This is one of them," the ambassadoress said.

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:18 pm

New Olwe wrote:

OOC: Yes he is. He recognises that the only one who has a right to take life is one that ignores the law
Kosovo is Serbia!
Embassy Anthem Store Facts

Glorious Homeland wrote:
You would be wrong. There's something wrong with the Americans, the Japanese are actually insane, the Chinese don't seem capable of free-thought and just defer judgement to the most powerful strong man, the Russians are quite like that, only more aggressive and mad, and Belarus? Hah.

Omnicracy wrote:The Soviet Union did not support pro-Soviet governments, it compleatly controled them. The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions

Great Nepal wrote:Please stick to OFFICIAL numbers. Why to go to scholars,[cut]

New Olwe
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Olwe » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:27 pm

Central Slavia wrote:
New Olwe wrote:

OOC: Yes he is. He recognises that the only one who has a right to take life is one that ignores the law

Whereas my nation, ironically enough one that is viewed as good, realizes that a proper execution should take weeks and be broadcast publicly? He's not as evil as me, I tell you. :p

Ilharessa
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ilharessa » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:31 pm

New Olwe wrote:
Central Slavia wrote:
New Olwe wrote:

Whereas my nation, ironically enough one that is viewed as good, realizes that a proper execution should take weeks and be broadcast publicly? He's not as evil as me, I tell you. :p

OOC: Only weeks? Why rush the executions? Have it go on for a full year and set up government-sponsored betting pools! :p

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly