NATION

PASSWORD

Chick-Fil-A Apppreciation Day

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Retro Lyra
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 28, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Chick-Fil-A Apppreciation Day

Postby Retro Lyra » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:02 am

Article can be found here.

As many of you have heard, Chick-fil-a has had quite a lot of anger and hatred pointed toward it because of their anti-gay status. Apparently, Mike Huckabee has had enough of this, and has decided to make August 1 "Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day". His words on the matter:

The goal is simple: Let's affirm a business that operates on Christian principles and whose executives are willing to take a stand for the Godly values we espouse by simply showing up and eating at Chick Fil-A on Wednesday, August 1. Too often, those on the left make corporate statements to show support for same sex marriage, abortion, or profanity, but if Christians affirm traditional values, we're considered homophobic, fundamentalists, hate-mongers, and intolerant.

So far, 8,000 people have signed up to participate in the event. What are your opinions on the matter, NS? Personally, I believe he has the right to believe what he wants, and if he wants to throw his faith into the Bible, so be it. I do not like this entire celebration, however. It gives off the stink of "shove your morales down everyone's throat".

As one comment on the article read, "I will be celebrating Chik-Fil-A day at Popeyes."
Last edited by Retro Lyra on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
The IC name is Rlyra.

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Retro Lyra wrote:So, does this mean that since I'm white and my boyfriend is spanish he's going to rob all my money from me, scream "Hasta la vista!", and drive off into the sunset in a stolen car? Good to know.

Any time now, Lyra. Any time. Watch your car keys.

And your weed stash.

And your bedroom door. Chances are, he'll rape you first, the Genocidal Bastard.

Equestrian States wrote:Retro Lyra is actually an all-female corporation of puppet-manufacturers.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:04 am

Faux News employee does something stupid? Surprise.

NMaa949
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby NMaa949 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:11 am

He doesn't specifically deny being homophobic, fundamentalist, hate-mongering, and intolerant.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a3/Bezhnoznik_u_stanka_US_1930.jpeg
Distruzio wrote:The Soviet Union? Nazi Germany? Fascist Italy? Each authoritarian democracies and each thoroughly tyrannical.

Distruzio suggesting that the Soviet Union was a democracy.
Bralia wrote:Exploring demands risk. Exploration may not reveal something useful. And yet we still do it. Because something could be found that could revolutionize the world. Yandere, if you don't want to stick even your nose out the front door, that's your own business, but don't try and drag the rest of the world along with you.

Bralia on Yandere Schoolgirls hating NASA.

Retro Lyra
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Retro Lyra » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:14 am

NMaa949 wrote:He doesn't specifically deny being homophobic, fundamentalist, hate-mongering, and intolerant.

Perhaps, but it doesn't make it any less offensive.
The IC name is Rlyra.

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Retro Lyra wrote:So, does this mean that since I'm white and my boyfriend is spanish he's going to rob all my money from me, scream "Hasta la vista!", and drive off into the sunset in a stolen car? Good to know.

And your weed stash.

And your bedroom door. Chances are, he'll rape you first, the Genocidal Bastard.

Equestrian States wrote:Retro Lyra is actually an all-female corporation of puppet-manufacturers.

Stedicules
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Stedicules » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:14 am

8,000 < 300,000,000

they have such a majority!
Last edited by Stedicules on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
DOMINATED BY OBSESSION OF POWER AND LUST, LED BY UNWRITTEN RULES FROM CLINICAL BIRTH TO CLINICAL DEATH. ASK THE EPITHET OF GOD! IT STILL IS DECEPTION, NO IDEOLOGY, NO PROGRESS; NOTHING. THE WORLD IS SMOTHERED IN ABSURDITY.

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Founded: May 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:17 am

1) Mike Huckabee was once considered Presidential material. Those days are over!
2) Why would I care either way about a fast food chain I haven't visited in four years?

Thanks, but no thanks Mike. I'm thinking Arbys!
The Andromeda Islands Factbook
http://iiwiki.com/wiki/The_Andromeda_Islands

Retro Lyra
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Retro Lyra » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:20 am

The Andromeda Islands wrote:1) Mike Huckabee was once considered Presidential material. Those days are over!
2) Why would I care either way about a fast food chain I haven't visited in four years?

Blech, my mother went there once and claimed her burger was green. :?
The IC name is Rlyra.

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:

And your weed stash.

Stedicules
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Stedicules » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:23 am

the last time i ate at a chickfila was when i was like 6 after visiting the la brea tar pits. that was like a decade ago. that totally proves how influential chickfila is on american appetites, right?
Last edited by Stedicules on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
DOMINATED BY OBSESSION OF POWER AND LUST, LED BY UNWRITTEN RULES FROM CLINICAL BIRTH TO CLINICAL DEATH. ASK THE EPITHET OF GOD! IT STILL IS DECEPTION, NO IDEOLOGY, NO PROGRESS; NOTHING. THE WORLD IS SMOTHERED IN ABSURDITY.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:23 am

Retro Lyra wrote:
The Andromeda Islands wrote:1) Mike Huckabee was once considered Presidential material. Those days are over!

Her first sign of trouble should have been receiving a hamburger at Arby's.

Also, surely this could have gone into the already existing thread on Chick-fil-a? At this rate the front page is going to be just three topics eight threads each.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:26 am

Does anybody in the US ever cook a meal, from scratch using raw unprocessed ingredients, because the way fast food chain names are bandied about it gives the impression you all just eat takeout?
Last edited by L Ron Cupboard on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Stedicules
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Stedicules » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:27 am

L Ron Cupboard wrote:Does anybody in the US ever cook a meal, from scratch using raw unprocessed ingredients, because they way fast food chain names are bandied about it gives the impression you all just eat takeout?

mothers make home cooked meals.

Retro Lyra
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Retro Lyra » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:27 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Retro Lyra wrote:

Her first sign of trouble should have been receiving a hamburger at Arby's.

Also, surely this could have gone into the already existing thread on Chick-fil-a? At this rate the front page is going to be just three topics eight threads each.

I felt that it was different than the other thread because it might focus on Chick-a-fil, but one thread is about Muppets dropping the buisness and this one is about Huckabee trying to create a celebration praising it. If worse comes to worse, we can always get a merge.
The IC name is Rlyra.

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:

And your weed stash.

Unilisia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unilisia » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:30 am

L Ron Cupboard wrote:Does anybody in the US ever cook a meal, from scratch using raw unprocessed ingredients, because they way fast food chain names are bandied about it gives the impression you all just eat takeout?

I have a garden and wildlife near my home for the sole purpose of feeding myself with my own effort.

But I do like me some fried chicken, and not the kind I make when I take a chicken from my coop and make it myself. Popeyes fried chicken :D
I am the mighty Uni.

Tiami wrote:I bow before the mighty Uni.

Lackadaisical2 wrote:If it shocked Uni, I know I don't want to read it.
You win.

Kylarnatia wrote:Steep hill + wheelchair + my lap - I think we know where that goes ;)

Katganistan wrote:That is fucking stupid.

L Ron Cupboard wrote:He appears to be propelling himself out of the flames with explosive diarrhea while his mother does jazz hands.

Mike the Progressive wrote:Because women are gods, men are pigs, and we, the males, deserve to all be castrated.

Neo Arcad wrote:Uni doesn't sleep. She waits.

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Collector: "Why are these coins all sticky?"

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:31 am

It's too bad Huckabee didn't call for a Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day on a Sunday.

The irony alone...

Retro Lyra
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Retro Lyra » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:35 am

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:It's too bad Huckabee didn't call for a Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day on a Sunday.

The irony alone...

This. :p
The IC name is Rlyra.

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:

And your weed stash.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:36 am

Retro Lyra wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Her first sign of trouble should have been receiving a hamburger at Arby's.

I felt that it was different than the other thread because it might focus on Chick-a-fil, but one thread is about Muppets dropping the buisness and this one is about Huckabee trying to create a celebration praising it. If worse comes to worse, we can always get a merge.

Meh, I already asked for a merge on something else, I do two in five minutes I'm going to want a hall monitor sash and someone to give my lunch money to.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Retro Lyra
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Retro Lyra » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:39 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Retro Lyra wrote:

Meh, I already asked for a merge on something else, I do two in five minutes I'm going to want a hall monitor sash and someone to give my lunch money to.

So we'll let the thing run its course until it either dies out, gets mereged, or gets locked due to flaming Christains.
The IC name is Rlyra.

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:

And your weed stash.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:48 am

It all basically reads as- "stand up against the people oppressing our right to oppression" "If they're against us, they're against God".
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Retro Lyra
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Retro Lyra » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:55 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:It all basically reads as- "stand up against the people oppressing our right to oppression" "If they're against us, they're against God".

He did say that he was tired of being "opressed for being Christain", or something. :roll:
The IC name is Rlyra.

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:

And your weed stash.

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:56 am

Retro Lyra wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Meh, I already asked for a merge on something else, I do two in five minutes I'm going to want a hall monitor sash and someone to give my lunch money to.

So we'll let the thing run its course until it either dies out, gets mereged, or gets locked due to flaming Christains.

Flaming Christians?

But on topic: Is this any surprise coming from a man who thinks we should change American law to follow Christian law?
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.-FDR

Economic Left/Right: -3.12|Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49

Who is Tom Joad?

Retro Lyra
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Retro Lyra » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:58 am

Revolutopia wrote:
Retro Lyra wrote:

Flaming Christians?

But on topic: Is this any surprise coming from a man who thinks we should change American law to follow Christian law?

Am I the only one who is wondering what's happening to the baby in that picture?

And probably not.
The IC name is Rlyra.

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:

And your weed stash.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:02 am

Retro Lyra wrote:
Am I the only one who is wondering what's happening to the baby in that picture?

17th century photobomb?

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:08 am

Retro Lyra wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:It all basically reads as- "stand up against the people oppressing our right to oppression" "If they're against us, they're against God".

He did say that he was tired of being "opressed for being Christain", or something. :roll:

It kinda looks like it, though it'll be incorrect as simply being Christain isn't what he/Chick-Fil-A is being critisised for, but rather the oppressive, fundimentalist style of their practice. Like the Neo-confederates, they're hiding behind nice buzz-words like "God" and "Freedom" in order to continue their oppressive politics.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:08 am

Retro Lyra wrote:

And probably not.

No, he appears to be propelling himself out of the flames with explosive diarrhoea while his mother does jazz hands.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Unilisia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unilisia » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:09 am

Revolutopia wrote:
Retro Lyra wrote:

Flaming Christians?

Is that baby shitting fire balls?
I am the mighty Uni.

Tiami wrote:I bow before the mighty Uni.

Lackadaisical2 wrote:If it shocked Uni, I know I don't want to read it.
You win.

Kylarnatia wrote:Steep hill + wheelchair + my lap - I think we know where that goes ;)

Katganistan wrote:That is fucking stupid.

L Ron Cupboard wrote:He appears to be propelling himself out of the flames with explosive diarrhea while his mother does jazz hands.

Mike the Progressive wrote:Because women are gods, men are pigs, and we, the males, deserve to all be castrated.

Neo Arcad wrote:Uni doesn't sleep. She waits.

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Collector: "Why are these coins all sticky?"

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General