NATION

PASSWORD

The Rone Conference (Closed, Attn Tyrrhenia)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Fanboyists
Senator

Founded: Sep 21, 2007
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Fanboyists » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:27 pm

Amanda

For her part, Amanda had made a conscious effort to avoid sitting near her cousin; an incident at a family get-together (such as it was) years ago had left her and Rudolf von Haaldstadt less-than-friendly with one another. Instead, she pulled out the chair between where the Mykolan emissaries had sat and where Gaarutt Ufdraakurr had sat, to the Mykolan's right. She looked at them quickly, looking for confirmation that it was acceptable to sit there. "Is it alright?" she mouthed. With any luck, Herzland, who was, for a moment, facing her direction, would see her. Gaarutt had already slapped the seat of the chair, indicating that he hoped she would sit there.

She sized up both the Mykolans, as well as, to a slightly lesser-extent, the Ufdraakurr, who she was already familiar with from prior meetings with the Draakurrae royal family.
Last edited by The Fanboyists on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Proud member of the Ajax role-playing community!
Ottonia, Draakur, and Untsangazar in Ajax
Terefuxe, formerly Allamunnic States (NSSport)

"The plans and schemes of tyrants are broken by many things. They shatter against cliffs of heroic struggle. They rupture on reefs of open resistance. And they are slowly eroded, bit by little bit, on the very beaches where they measure triumph, by countless grains of sand. By the stubborn little decencies of humble little men." -Eric Flint, Belisarius II: In The Heart of Darkness

Laysley
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Laysley » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:35 pm

Rolings looked sullenly into his soup, stirring it gently. Carlyle stepped in.

"Do excuse the Reverend, it's been a long flight from Laysley." A lame excuse, he knew. Losing form after so many years of practise. Still, they had had a particularly rickety flight with a very Spartan plane borrowed from the Knights and they were very tired. And old. It hurt to move distances that five years ago would have been unnoticeable, he was sure.

Fim politely shovelled cheese down his throat while Carlyle spoke over him. "A most fascinating story, Mr President old boy, but then I suppose you wouldn't expect any of the prestigious gentlemen, excuse me, statespeople here today to be even remotely boring! And that's not even mentioning the circumstances we've arrived in" he said with a small frown "How are those cows in Stalhamark, if you getting my meaning?"
Proud member of the Tyrrhenia role-playing community, wot!

Tonight, we bring the dream of death.

The Fanboyists
Senator

Postby The Fanboyists » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Andrew

"Fair enough. Can't say I blame him. I doubt I'd be half this chipper if I'd had a damned long flight and train-ride to boot." He figured it was a lie, what Carlyle had told him, but it was a little white one, and no harm was particularly done by it. "And certainly not...eh...boring...but, suffice to say, I'd rather not have to deal with some of them." He did not even attempt to conceal his glance towards the Rodarion emissary. "As for the cows?" He paused, giving a knowing look. "They're chewing, and making milk, and shitting as always, if you'll pardon my Fictionese." Another pause. "The farmers, though...well, the farmers might like to see slightly cleaner conditions in the pastures. Makes for better produce. Even if it might, say, might involve them having to go and muck around themselves a bit." After a moment: "Oh, and all of you, feel free to call me Andrew. This much, at least, isn't formal enough to require all that. My name is fine."

He looked to Fim. "Any good? I haven't had the chance to try that yet. It's the cheddar, right?"
Last edited by The Fanboyists on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"The plans and schemes of tyrants are broken by many things. They shatter against cliffs of heroic struggle. They rupture on reefs of open resistance. And they are slowly eroded, bit by little bit, on the very beaches where they measure triumph, by countless grains of sand. By the stubborn little decencies of humble little men." -Eric Flint, Belisarius II: In The Heart of Darkness

Laysley
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Laysley » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:22 pm

Fim politely swallowed. "Simply excellent, your majesty." He swiftly heaped more onto his plate. Carlyle was reminded of those Papist cardinals or those merchant princes who had absolutely no aptitude at all and were there entirely through blatant nepotism, except Fim wasn't actually under the impression he deserved the Cenobiarchy, although he too would probably have lack the analytical skills to realise that that was perhaps a bad idea when he was full aware of how bored he was of politics and the excellence of food. Still, best not to underestimate people, or rather to keep your distance until they blunder to the point where you can clip them round the ears and send them to bed with no influence in the Liturgical Congregation. The cheerfulness was remaining difficult to maintain, he chided himself, while his bitterness and excitement were mashing with his thoughts like this...

"Well" said Carlyle, leaning back "Andrew old chap, farmers have always had a habit of mucking around a bit, indeed often it produces most satisfactory results, especially when you pit them against the old chickens perched up in their henhouse. It's the cows you need to worry about, when you can't keep the cud coming over winter, dontchaknow. Anything can happen after that. The old farms with their chicken coops are only saved by the fact they seem to prefer fighting with farmers against other cows with their own farmers on the whole, wouldn't you agree?"

Roling smiled dryly "Red cud is becoming something of a speciality of ours, in fact."

The Fanboyists
Senator

Postby The Fanboyists » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:37 pm

Andrew

Filie laughed, mostly at how absurd the length to which they were taking the metaphor was...(and at being accidentally called "your majesty") "Of course, the question is why the farms have to get into their little scraps in the first place. Hence why it seems beneficial to get them all together for a chat." After a moment, he dropped the metaphor. "Frankly, I'm not holding out a lot hope for all of this. All the 'farmers' seem rather intent on getting exactly what they want, and not a slight bit less. And, as they say, a good compromise leaves everyone mad." Although still in more-or-less good spirits, Andrew's chipper facade had been removed. "But we'll do the best we can, and hope that that's better than I fear it is. I understand you haven't been in your homeland of late. You wouldn't happen to be able to shine any light on Laysley's current predicament, would you?" he asked.

===========

Rudolf

The emissary representing Fradrik von Haaldstadt was none other than his eldest son and heir, Rudolf, somewhat similarly named to the Mykolan heir. He was less-than-thrilled to be there, and even less-thrilled to be seeing his cousin again. He and Amanda had never gotten along terribly well, but after that little incident a few years ago, things had been downright icy between them. In any event, he had diplomacy to be doing for his father's (and eventually, his) realm.

Seeking to avoid the Chancellor and any ensuing awkwardness, and making a note of Andrew's position for later discussion with him, he found his way over to where Tara and Viktorda had seated themselves, deciding that it was as good a place as any to seat himself. Gesturing to the seat, he interrupted them both with a small clearing of his throat at what seemed to be a slight pause in their conversation.

"Excuse me..." he thought for a moment, trying to match a title to Viktorda. "Menarci," he said, somewhat hesitantly. He looked to Tara and added "High Queen?" After a moment, sure he had their attention "Is this seat taken? If not, would it be agreeable for me to join you?" he asked, his tone and body-language polite.
Last edited by The Fanboyists on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Laysley
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Laysley » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:30 am

Carlyle's eyes darted around for something to wash the taste of the dreadful port down, but he was used to dinners like this. Once he'd been on a visit to Coronet (before he was patrician) where the food was so bad that he'd spent the entire time forging the groundwork for an extremely beneficial trade agreement with the Srinesian emissary. Having one eye on tonsil-relief while keeping up effective conversation was perhaps the most important skill a great statesman could have, someone should really add it to McBluff of Aschenhyrst's Prince...

"Laysley's predicament is very hard to shine a light on, but perhaps a imagine a beautiful farm house crowded with foreign farmers who haven't bothered to take their muddy boots off. And then the innocent milkmaid asks them to at least wash their hands before dinner, so the head invader slits her throat and sets fire to the house. What, I might ask, do the cows do then?"

"And they are most excellent cows." Roling said sternly "Standing proudly, holding position to the last sausage, giving their all to the fearless milkmaids..."

"Well, it's a pretty ridiculous situation, no getting away from it!" Carlyle laughed, Rolings couldn't help a smile "Us Layslians have a history of maintaining the balance of power in order to survive, and the whole equation has been trampled on. It would be rather remiss of us if we didn't come and fill in the unknown variables, even if we don't get a say in the mental arithmetic."

"Owing" Rolings muttered "To a distinct lack of living brains..."

Cukarica
Envoy

Founded: Oct 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Cukarica » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:10 am

"The food looks quite exquisite, but unfortunately, I've lost my appetite when I saw these Rodarion butchers." Alexander's voice was silently bitter and filled with irony as he talked to the aged Consul.

"Quite the contrary, Alex. I'm regretting my previous meal, it was nothing comparably to the looks of this finely prepared food." Consul Severus replied. "I suggest that we get the party started, and harbor support before the actual conference begins, I have a feeling that we're just wasting time here."

"True, these diplomatic pleasantries haven't been the strong side of our people" Alexander smiled at the Mykolan representatives who were approaching the Cukarican delegation.

"Ah, the Mykolans." Alexander calmly replied, truly happy to meet the Mykolan delegation "It is my pleasure to finally meet civilized men on this meeting." he proclaimed carefully as he wanted to avoid the other delegates hearing him, even though they probably knew what the Cukaricans thought of them. It wasn't something easily hidden."May I introduce you to Consul Severus, my trusted mentor and a man who unlike me, is quite fond of these types of meetings."

He was quite glad to have the Mykolans sit next to him, happy to find someone of similar interests, as the Mykolans were famed for their prowess and interest in military matters.

"Please, feel free to sit next to me" he said, making an elegant gesture towards the empty chairs,"we have lot's of things to discuss."

"Have you tasted the meals that the Allamunae prepared for us, I've unfortunately had no desire to eat after seeing the Rodarion delegation. Quite nasty." he said, sporting a broad smile on his face.

Alexander was, at least for Cukarican standards, quite friendly and communicative. He hoped that the Mykolans didn't think that he was a fool for that, therefore he briefly stated in a serious tone:

"I was hoping that we could discuss the Waldenburg problem with you as soon as possible. Time is of the essence."
Last edited by Cukarica on Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
|Tyrrhenia|
Please note that my nation is no longer called Cukarica, but Elysian Empire or Imperium Elysium.
Imperivm Elysivm: Wiki
Imperivm Elysivm: OOC & IC Factbook
Imperium Elysivm: Embassies
Quotes to remember
<Rodarion> even Yallak is reluctant to fight the Legions of Cvkarica
<Mykola> Cvk it takes a thread on II to get you to do anything
<Ralk> I'd have to blast my way through cvk. In doing so I'd lose a lot of men.
<Ossoria> isn't stupid enough to challenge someone with the caliber of military that is Cvk when he is right on the border
<Rodarion> I'm never going to try to invade you lol

The Fanboyists
Senator

Postby The Fanboyists » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:22 am

Andrew

"Port's not to your taste?" he asked with a chuckle, catching Carlyle's glances. He pointed towards the center of the table, where there was a pitcher of milk and another of ice water. "You might find one of those useful." He pondered Carlyle's response to his previous question, however. After a moment, he said "This is thinking aloud, of course, but, disagreeable as it may be, those splendid cows might not refuse help from other farmers who would like to avoid suffering a similar fate to the milkmaid?" After a moment's thought. "Or even farmers who lack such fear but find such behavior disagreeable?" he added. "

And, of course "you might well find it possible to influence the operations a bit, and shake the variables around some, if you play it right. I daresay there's some people you might be interested in meeting to that effect. Alas, they're something like a continent away..." he said, thinking. If there was some way to get in touch with Leslie Harper, who was commanding the somewhat meager Auxiliary Corps forces in Daarnhulm, an arrangement to give the Layslians some aid and keep the war more contained to Waldenburg might be possible...and it wouldn't even require official Allamunnic involvement. That was the beauty of the Auxiliary Corps.

Ossoria
Envoy

Founded: Sep 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossoria » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:18 pm

Tara waited a moment before responding, largely since Rudolf had chosen the exact moment that the retainer in charge of telling her the names of the respective delegates had taken a bite from his beef. Tara was almost completely unable to remember the names of people she had recently met, met sparingly, or was new around her, which was a result of her aphasia. Because of this, she kept someone close by who had memorized the names of the people she was expecting to meet. As he leaned in towards her ear, she turned her head slightly to her left, not taking her green eyes off of him as her retainer told her his name.

Turing fully towards him, she smiled and said, "Certainly, Duke von Haaldstadt. It would be my pleasure for you to join us."
The High Kingdom of Ossoria
High Queen Tara Silven

The Fanboyists
Senator

Postby The Fanboyists » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:25 pm

Rudolf

A pleasant smile remained on Rudolf's face. "Thank you, your majesty, for the honor and the pleasure." He pulled out the chair and seated himself, placing a somewhat-more-loaded plate than Filie's in front of him. The manner in which he ate was polite and tidy enough to fit the surroundings, despite how hungry he was. His father, Fradrik, the Prince of Haaldstadten-Aachensboro, and his mother, Alexandra, the Princess, had seen to it that their children were humble and polite. With Rudolf and Arnulf, they'd more or less succeeded, and Rudolf suspected that Maurice, his abrasive middle brother, had been a lost cause from the beginning.

"I trust your trip was not too unpleasant, your majesty?" he asked cheerfully. "I'd imagine it was a rather long and chilly one, given Ossoria's location."

Ossoria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Ossoria » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:50 pm

"The winters are certainly colder than they are here, particularly in the interior of the country," Tara said. "But most of my people live near the coast, where the ocean helps to temper its severity. Kenlis is actually quite beautiful this time of year. As to the trip, it was rather pleasant. I flew down on in one of the VIP jets used by the Royal Air Force."

Tara took a sip of her tea before continuing. "What about your homeland?"
High Queen Tara Silven

The Fanboyists
Senator

Postby The Fanboyists » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:55 pm

Rudolf

He thought for a moment. On reflection, because of its proximity to the sea, Aachensboro was actually not really much colder than Rone was. Actually, nestled as it was in the mountains, Rone was actually probably colder, despite being further south. "I hail from Haaldstadten-Aachensboro. It's a fairly small holding near Paloni. As you said, the sea keeps at least the coastal regions a little warmer this time of year, and honestly, inland is still pretty close to the coast; it's probably about the same in the coldest parts of home as it is here, at the moment, and it's on the whole not unpleasant." After a moment, he added, possibly somewhat redundant. "But my father thought it prudent to send someone here to observe and represent our interests, though. We're a little too close to some of the fighting in Waldenburg to be comfortable doing otherwise."

He took a bite of some scrambled egg, and added "How's your home-front situation looking?"

Ossoria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Ossoria » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:31 pm

The Duke's question cut Tara to the core, a rapid series of questions flashing through her mind within a few microseconds. But her lifetime of political exposure and education kept her outward appearance calm. The domestic situation in the High Kingdom was tenuous, and its development would largely depend on the results of this conference.

Tara knew that it was a statistic improbability that the other delegates would be unaware of what her uncle was doing. But she also knew that it was unlikely that most of the other delegates would not know exactly how potent a threat he was. That he was walking the ragged edge of outright treason without being able to be implicated in anything. That he already had several of the Tiarnai, Ard Tiarnai, and even a Ri on his side. So she compromised; telling some of the truth, while omitting a great deal of the actual situation.

"I will admit that the High Kingdom as a whole has seen better days, but such is the truth of all nations. We trust that Osraí is watching out for us and favors our endeavors." Tara knew that most people of the other nations of Tyrrhenia were just as confused by Ossorian religion as the Ossorians were of theirs, but decided not to give a lecture on the subject both since Duke had not asked for one and she doubted that the Rodarions would have appreciated it.

"As for our overseas territories in Wandenburg, Krune and Quillion, I am somewhat concerned about how the war may affect them, and how they may in turn affect the High Kingdom if this terrible war is to continue. That is why I am here personally, even though the High Kingdom is one of the few neutrals in this conflict."
High Queen Tara Silven

The Fanboyists
Senator

Postby The Fanboyists » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Rudolf

He gave a slight frown. It was troubling enough to hear from her, considering what information he had been given. A lot of the specifics had been left out, but he had learned enough from his briefing to know that Tara, High Queen of Ossoria, did not exactly have a secure position at home. "More's the pity. I wish you luck in dealing with whatever troubles might beset you." After a moment, he recognized that it couldn't hurt to note the alliance between Haaldstadten-Aachensboro and the Allamunnic States. It was, after all, more or less common knowledge. "I suspect, as much as my father wanted a representative here, that that is also why President Filie asked us to send one. Neutral we might be, but I fear the war affects us all, no matter how we might try to escape it's pull."

He frowned again, and looked to Tara. He'd understood, at least at a perfunctory level, who she was referring to when she mentioned Osraí. He'd learned of late that his brother Maurice was more than simply non-Catholic, and the resulting research into non-Christian religions of Tyrrhenia had been most illuminating. He had also learned of Maurice's practices venerating the Lords of the Earth, deities from the Old Religion, as it was known, shared by whatever parent culture had birthed the Allamunnae, Skraelings, and their kin in Tyrrhenia.

Inadvertently letting on some of what he knew, he added "But it's always family that's the most troublesome, isn't it?"

Ossoria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Ossoria » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:14 pm

Tara's education, upbringing, and experiences in politics immediately flagged the Duke's comment for the information it revealed in the Duke's possession. Young as she was, Tara had been exposed to the political realities of governance since she was seven years old, and the twenty-three year old monarch was more experienced than most gave her credit for. As such, she decided not to tip her hand just yet.

"I wouldn't know too much about family or the troubles that come with them, as most of mine is dead, as I'm certain you are aware," she said, intentionally giving her voice a certain edge, both to remind the Duke that her father, the only immediate family she had, was recently deceased and that she was not of a mind to discuss family matters. She doubted that he would catch that she had caught his little misstep, nor would it matter to her if it did, as there was little she could do if he knew.
High Queen Tara Silven

The Fanboyists
Senator

Postby The Fanboyists » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:27 pm

Rudolf

He nodded. "Of course. I'm quite sorry, I'm sure it's not a subject you'd wish to talk to a near-stranger about." He decided to cover his misstep, whether or not she'd caught it, with a truth, and even a half-relevant one. "I spoke more of worry. It's my brother, Arnulf. We haven't heard from him in quite a while, and he was caught up in the churning mess in Waldenburg." It was true enough. He was worried about Arnulf, and he hadn't heard from his youngest brother in quite some time. Arnulf had always been a cheerful sort, and he was sure the war couldn't be treating him well.

Trying to prevent the threatening awkward silence, he added, reaching for a pitcher "Would you like some water?" He also looked to Viktorda. "And you, Menarci?"

Mykola
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Mykola » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:41 am

For a moment, Herzland stared in Amanda's direction, before realizing that she was talking to him. Not quite hearing what she had said, he simply smiled and, being polite, offered her a seat next to Rudolf.

"Miss Haaldstadt, please take a seat," he said as he pulled a chair out, reaching around Rudolf to do so, "we would be delighted if you sat with us!"

Herzland had, over the years, acquired a grandfatherly tone in how he dealt with people. Perhaps it was age, or simply a knack for reaching people, but, nevertheless, he inspired a feeling of joy in anyone who was on the receiving end of that personality.

After introducing himself the to Cvkarcians, Herzland was flattered by their comments. He had not expected them to be ever so cordial to him and silently wondered whether the feelings were genuine.

Herzland shook Severus's hand, "It's a pleasure to meet you sir."

At Alexander's comment about the Rodarion's, Herzland and Rudolf both chuckled.

"I recall having a meeting with one in my office once."

Herzland stood for a moment, thinking. Suddenly he stuck his index finger in the air, a memory coming forth.

"I do believe about twenty years ago, I made a mistake in the diplomatic corps. As punishment, I was sent to work at the embassy in Rodarion for a year!"

Finally, becoming more serious himself, he responded to the comment regarding Waldenburg.

"Yes, of course, I'm sure we can have a private meeting or two. Your blockade will prove to be one of the most essential aspects of this war."
Proud member of Tyrrhenia roleplaying community

The Fanboyists
Senator

Postby The Fanboyists » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:11 pm

Amanda

She didn't particularly mind that Herzland had called her "Miss Haldstadt." It was true enough (she was unmarried, much to her family's dismay), in any case, and face-to-face over brunch was not really a place that called for over-much formality. In any case, Herzland's entire manner was pleasant, and it was hard not at least feel more-or-less comfortable speaking to him.

"Thank you, Minister. It would be my pleasure," she said politely, accepting the seat. She listened as Herzland and the Cvkarican Prince spoke to one another, generally badmouthing Rodarion. She certainly didn't mind hearing it; the Rodarion government was practically a boogeyman for Allamunnae, anti-Catholic as they were and as Catholic as the Allamunnae were. She even gave an amused smile before turning to Rudolf. "Prince Rudolf?" she turned to him. "How are you this morning?" she asked, her tone pleasant. "I hope the trip wasn't too unpleasant?"

Rodarion
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rodarion » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:17 pm

Tyrin was still away in the mind, he was restraining from putting his head on his plate and sleeping but he knew what this was about and turned to Rudolph quickly remembering that this gentleman and his nation home were Catholic, he swallowed his toast and smiled for the first time since arriving here. He quickly noticed the young Ossorian, how young she was.

"Apologies for my rudeness my friends, I am incredibly tired. You must Queen Tara" placing out his red gloved hand to shake hers, whilst doing this he smiled at Rudolph and handed out his other, "Apologies again who are you, I've forgotten the names of who is attending this conference, may the Holy Father forgive me?" He smiled again.

Meanwhile Cardinal Atticus was looking around the room, whilst eating a slice of warm ham. He noticed the Cvkarican pig and his Mykolan fellow pig. He sighed and pointed them out to the other aides mingling with the Layslians, "Remind his immenience that the Cvkarican shits and their Mykolan cocksuckers are close and should avoid them otherwise he will probably stab the Cvkarican fagot with a bread knife" he laughed, spitting out parts of his toast he ate earlier. Atticus was a portly man and did enjoy the lavish feats presented to key Cardinals each night when they ate together in the Hall of Benedicition. This was going to be a long day.
"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Laysley
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Laysley » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:22 pm

"The amount of under the table troops we'd get from people like you if we accepted them all" Carlyle announced with grin, thankful to be able to get back in someway for this President's miraculous gift to notice and understand correctly seemingly everything the assembled Layslians did "Would probably have a higher collective income than Klatch, excuse me, Fictions. No, no" still grinning pleasantly "We're rather more concerned with how to rebuild now, or at least that's what my briefings tell me. I haven't set foot on Laysley in five years, exile and all wot, so there's no way of knowing how the man on the street feels. The variables I'm talking about are more concerned with the effective and long-term distribution of milk and hay regionally, to revisit our old friend, a part I feel 'new'" he made inverted commas in the air with his hands, looking absolutely ridiculously senile "Laysley should, and thus I hope will, have a major role in providing the fertiliser so the grass can grow."

The Fanboyists
Senator

Postby The Fanboyists » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:11 pm

Rudolf

"Quite understandable. Coming across the region, it must have been a rather long and unpleasant trip," he observed. "I am Rudolf," he said. "I'm representing the Haldstadt Dominions in Waldenburg, specifically the Principality of Haaldstadten-Aachensboro and the Duchy of Daarnhulm."

At this point, he saw the President standing and moving to the front of the room. Rudolf turned and watched as Filie seated himself at the high table and pulled out a gavel.

=======

Andrew

He nodded, understanding. "With any luck. Still, if you or your countrymen desire a helping hand at some point, I'm sure we can find something that might be of use. Consider it a standing offer." Finishing his food, Filie stacked his cutlery and plate. "And now, it looks like everyone's about had their fill. As they say, let's get cracking." He stood up, striding to the front of the room. Taking a place at the head table while staff came to start clearing the plates and storing the leftovers, Andrew pulled out a gavel. It was a rather old thing, made by his great-grandfather Thomas for when he first formed the Governor's Council. It was a rather nicely-weathered gavel, too, and Filie rather liked it. He rapped it on a block to get the assembled personages' attention.

"Ah. There we go. As I imagine you all are wondering about when we're getting started. As for that, if you will bear with me, we're going to get this place cleared up, bring in some more comfortable chairs and the half-circular-table. When that's done, we'll reconvene here, and get things rolling." He checked his watch. "Mister Fulmer, in charge of these matters has told me the room should be ready in about ten minutes. I suggest using the restroom, freshening up, etc. in that time, since I suspect we'll be here for a while." He sat, waiting for the tables to be moved and for the emissaries to return. In the meantime, Amanda had joined him at the front table, and coming out of wherever he'd been hiding, Steven Grimmeberger joined them. The old soldier had offered to lend his commanding voice in the event things got out of hand. Or, possibly, his revolver. Knowing the man, Filie was sure Grimmeberger would be only too happy to scare some diplomat shitless.

Looking at him, Filie realized the man had dressed a bit casually for the event, not that anyone was likely to stop the blue-jean-wearing Generalissimo. "Steven, I see you finally found your way here," Andrew said, giving him a sideways look.

"Allanae and I had a chat. I had no desire to have to rub elbows with these folk. They'd probably all piss me off, anyways." Grimmeberger shrugged. He didn't seem overly concerned about it.

"I think there was a Waldenburger you would have gotten along swimmingly with. I trust you got the seating chart all figured out?" Andrew still wasn't sure why he'd put Grimmeberger in charge of seating arrangements. He just knew the old soldier had arranged them to discomfit every diplomat possible. With Filie as the exception, Grimmeberger had never been much of a fan of career diplomats. Recognized their necessity, certainly. Liked them, absolutely not at all.

His suspicion was confirmed when Steven handed him a crude diagram with a poorly-disguised smirk on his face. Filie looked at it for a moment before muttering "Oh...dear..." Grimmeberger had certainly taken the opportunity to make people uncomfortable. Reading it from left-to-right, it read: ...Layslians - Yallakians - Catoists - Mykolans - Cvkaricans - Rodarions - Draakurrae - Diadokhoi - Haaldstadts - Ossorians - Sebaerians - Ascelonians...

Others were on the sides of the Layslians and Ossorians, although none of those configurations looked overly troublesome. Still, Andrew looked at Grimmeberger with an expression that said for him "What the hell were you thinking?" Instead, he said "I see you put the Rodarions and Cvkaricans next to each other. And the Catoists and the Yallakians and Mykolans. You like doing this, don't you?"

The smirk remained. Grimmeberger shrugged. "I don't get many opportunities to do this. Let me enjoy it for once." He looked to Filie for a moment and said "Admit it, you want to see what happens when you put a Cvkarican and Rodarion in close proximity to one another."

"I sort of do," Andrew conceded. "I still think that that's a really bad idea, though."

"They can relocate themselves if it bothers them that much." Off to the side, Amanda had sighed and face-palmed. She was less-inclined to put up with Grimmeberger's crap. It had more to do with the fact that she had not befriended him the way Filie had, and a little less to do with the fact that Grimmeberger was the one who had humiliated her father thirty years ago and forced his surrender and ended the Great Allamunnic Wars with a defeat for Ostlund. "On a side note, how's the wife?"

Andrew paused for a moment. "Erica's off on a goodwill tour, of sorts. She's working with some fundraisers to get money to help improve some of the lower-income-neighborhood schools in Thomasburg. Actually, if this bloody mess ever gives me a break, I'll probably join her for a bit, especially seeing as she's due February. Zack and Caroline are staying with their uncle, for the time-being."

Grimmeberger nodded. "Which one?" Andrew, in point of fact, had two brothers. His older brother, Walter, was the current governor of Stalhamark, an office which Andrew had held before Grimmeberger had made him heir-apparent to the nation's leadership. Andrew's younger brother, John, was a key member of the Senate these days, representing Stalhamark.

"Walter. The state government's on break at the moment for Dark-of-Winter, so he and Kelly offered to look after Zack and Cary for a few days."

Within that time span, the others had come in, the tables set up and place-cards indicating where the various delegations were to sit. He could see the irritation and dismay on some of their faces, hurriedly-concealed as they saw who they had been placed next to. He noticed that the representative from the Byzantine Federation had arrived as well. As everyone took their seats, a few of them grumbling, Filie rapped the gavel.

"Alright, now, folks. Let's get this show on the road. We have asked for your presence here to attempt to come to a solution that might end the on-going bloodshed in Waldenburg. It has continued for two months too long. First on the order of business negotiating an immediate ceasefire so that a permanent end to the conflict can be negotiated without further bloodshed."
Last edited by The Fanboyists on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

Rodarion
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rodarion » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:51 pm

As Tyrin and Atticus made their way to sit down they could not believe they would be sitting next to the Cvkaricans, this was the worst case scenario which had not even been considered, they were both in shock. Tyrin turned to Atticus who was still eating, this time eating a packet of crisps. "What the fuck do we do? I can't sit next to a Orthodox Christian or whatever name the Catholics are using this time, I am sick of it. The smell of them..." he shivered at the thought. Atticus quickly swallowed the crisps and replied.
"If we ask to move they will see cowardice in us, we should make them move, make them run away from us like little pigs at a butchery" Atticus smiled, proud of his simile, Tyrin smiled and took his seat.

He looked around the table and noticed that the Catoists would be sitting next to their enemy the Yallakians, least the Yallakians will suffer also he thought to himself, smiling yet again. Atticus sat down and opened a third packet of crisp, Tyrin rolled his eyes and snatched the packet. "For lord's sake stop eating, you'll split your robes if you carry on and don't use the nervous excuse, you're not a child" Tyrin snapped, Atticus jumped with surprise. "You saw what total shite we had to eat on the way here, never saw such filth" Atticus replied, Tyrin rolled his eyes again and handed the packet to an aide who took it the closest bin.

The aides then continued to place the necessary files and notes before the two men, who quickly re-read their briefings and the ittinery and nodded to each other and awaited the others. They listened closely to what Filie had to say.
"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Mykola
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mykola » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:57 pm

Rudolf, now sitting, turned to look at the woman who was speaking to him. "Prince" I am certainly no prince, he thought, but the Archduke of Hapsburg! He determined to let the woman's slip of the tongue go. For her, it had to be difficult, competing with the intellect of men. How was she ever taken seriously?

Smiling now, he responded, "Ah well certainly madam. The trip was nothing but bliss. Could you..."

He cut himself off. Despite being Archduke Rudolf, he determined it 'beneath' him to ask her to obtain him a beverage.

The Fanboyists
Senator

Postby The Fanboyists » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:06 pm

Amanda

Amanda realized her mistake and corrected herself the next time. It was so damnably hard trying to keep all the titles straight with all those leaders. She also followed up on Rudolf's cut-off request. "Well, Archduke? Could I what?" she said, a small, amused smile coming to her face. "In any case, I'm glad the trip wasn't too unpleasant. I daresay, though, that you and Minister Herzland didn't have to come quite as far as some others." After a moment, she added "Of course, I'd imagine it was perhaps especially important that you come, given Mykola's current involvement in Waldenburg. Who's pursing the claim to the throne, again?" She asked, innocently. The Archduke didn't seem to think much of her. Maybe, if she started slowly, she could coax a little information from him. Best to get started from what would be fairly common knowledge...

Mykola
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mykola » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:13 pm

Rudolf was amused by the question, a grin coming over his face.

"Now honey, don't you have more...feminine matters to attend to? Leave such topics for us men to decide."

Rudolf picked up a tea cup and sipped at it, thinking nothing of his comment whatsoever.

Meanwhile, Herzland picked up on what Rudolf had said, but was too late before the Chancellor responded.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents