NATION

PASSWORD

Equus me: My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Furry Alairia and Algeria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:23 pm

Sinovet wrote:
Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:Nothing, but accomanying them is the least I can do.

And I won't say.

My first guess is Ozzy.

How many points do I receive?

In memory of Dyakovo - may he never be forgotten - Дьяковожс ученик

I do not reply to telegrams, unless you are someone I know.

Firsthome
Senator

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Firsthome » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:24 pm

Sinovet wrote:
Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:Nothing, but accomanying them is the least I can do.

And I won't say.

My first guess is Ozzy.

this
I have a heart of a five year-old...
it's in a jar in my basement

Springer:"I've got better things to do tonight than die"

DYK:Breathing lowers your life expectancy by 50%.

Laerod wrote:That's like pointing out a thread about kittens contains posts about baby cats.
Left: 8.06, Libertarian: 0.6,7 foreign policy: -5.76, culture: -6.26
GENERATION 4: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:24 pm

Sinovet wrote:

And I won't say.

My first guess is Ozzy.

Nice reference you did there :P

Sinovet
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sinovet » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:25 pm

Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:
Sinovet wrote:My first guess is Ozzy.

Really?

I have become suspicious.

Why in the fuck is the word "muscle" pronounced without the "c" sound? WHY IS THE C BEING CENSORED!? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:26 pm

Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:Celestia!

Cotton Candy

Daww!

Sinovet
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sinovet » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:26 pm

Western Vale Confederacy wrote:
Sinovet wrote:My first guess is Ozzy.

Nice reference you did there :P

Ah, thank you. :)

I'll be here all week. On all month. And probably for years and years.

I'll be around.

Great Lucifenia
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Lucifenia » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:27 pm

So what causes adult (I suppose) men to be so obsessed over a show about deformed horses, meant to be viewed by 6 year old girls?

note: this is a serious question.
Last edited by Great Lucifenia on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Firsthome
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Firsthome » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:28 pm

Great Lucifenia wrote:So what causes adult (I suppose) men to be so obsessed over a show about deformed horses, meant to be viewed by 6 year old girls?

I don't even like the show. and I'm 15.

some of the pictures are cute, others are sexy, and some are funny

Same reason I'm a furry.

Laerod wrote:That's like pointing out a thread about kittens contains posts about baby cats.
GENERATION 4: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

Bearon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bearon » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:30 pm

Great Lucifenia wrote:So what causes adult (I suppose) men to be so obsessed over a show about deformed horses, meant to be viewed by 6 year old girls?

Greater Westleton? >_> Is that you?
Nothing to see here. Move along.

Firsthome
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Firsthome » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:31 pm

Bearon wrote:

well. he wasn't being rude, except to the ponies, which By our dimensions standards are deformed

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:32 pm

They're ponies, keep your facts straight.

Bearon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bearon » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:32 pm

Firsthome wrote:
Bearon wrote:

well. he wasn't being rude, except to the ponies, which By our dimensions standards are deformed

So it is him?!
Nothing to see here. Move along.

Sinovet
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sinovet » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:33 pm

This is a fascinating subject.

My first answer is to say that it is a way for people to reclaim a lost childhood, or else revisit a childhood. This is accomplished by immersing one's self into that childish mindset by consuming children oriented media, such as MLP. The reason people become so obsessed with it continued to elude me, and annoy me, because there is nothing more irritating that obsessive, overzealous fans.

Of course, I have no idea why MLP is so popular amongst adults than other children's shows. I mean, its not like there's anything special about it. Its a good show in all, but it is by no means uniquely good or anything like that. I speculate that simple fact that a large fandom exists for a particular child show encourages other adults and teenagers who want to consume child media to join said fandom, which raises the question of how did a fandom on MLP get started in the first place.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:35 pm

First off, This "meant to be viewed by 6 year old girls" bullshit is not going to be tackled. It's not even a clear argument, more or less, a shrouded argument. The same could be said for, "Why do 12 year olds curse when cursing is meant for a mature audience." No clear explanation follows up on such a unacceptable argument, nor to a unacceptable question.

Second, adult men? Try actually looking at what a brony is. There are girls who are called "Celestial Girls", or simply "brony girls", and to date, while it does have a large adult male perspective, especially the younger audiences, and everyone seems to forget every other perspective. You can't exactly judge with such shrouded bullshit.

Third, The show doesn't revolve around these so called, "deformed" horses, or what is, in actual life, a pony(just with some fantasy elements in), otherwise it'd be 30 minutes of just showing these ponies doing nothing whatsoever. I may not like the show, but I know enough about it.

Fourth, It's not only about the show. That should be crystal clear and diamond perfect right off the bat. That's why you commonly see so much art being dumped here.

I've said all I need to say, and while I'm not a brony, I certainly know a lot about them.
Last edited by Furry Alairia and Algeria on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sinovet
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sinovet » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:37 pm

First off, This "meant to be viewed by 6 year old girls" bullshit is not going to be tackled. It's not even a clear argument, more or less, a shrouded argument. The same could be said for, "Why do 12 year olds curse when cursing is meant for a mature audience." No clear explanation follows up on such a unacceptable argument, nor to a unacceptable question.

Are you denying that My Little Pony was created and continues to be made with a female audience under the age of, say, 10 years old in mind?

Great Lucifenia
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Lucifenia » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:38 pm

Bearon wrote:

I am who I am.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:39 pm

Sinovet wrote:
Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:First off, This "meant to be viewed by 6 year old girls" bullshit is not going to be tackled. It's not even a clear argument, more or less, a shrouded argument. The same could be said for, "Why do 12 year olds curse when cursing is meant for a mature audience." No clear explanation follows up on such a unacceptable argument, nor to a unacceptable question.

Are you denying that My Little Pony was created and continues to be made with a female audience under the age of, say, 10 years old in mind?

It was created for that purposes, but then abandoned that purpose, seeing as how you people started to become well known.

Sinovet
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sinovet » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:42 pm

Sinovet wrote:Are you denying that My Little Pony was created and continues to be made with a female audience under the age of, say, 10 years old in mind?

It was created for that purposes, but then abandoned that purpose, seeing as how you people started to become well known.

That would be incorrect. The show is still a show for girls. The fact that its makers acknowledge the bizarre phenomenon surrounding their show does not change that.

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:43 pm

Sinovet wrote:
Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:It was created for that purposes, but then abandoned that purpose, seeing as how you people started to become well known.

That would be incorrect. The show is still a show for girls. The fact that its makers acknowledge the bizarre phenomenon surrounding their show does not change that.

Let us not forget the fact that the show has allowed some shy bronies to socialize with other bronies.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:43 pm

Sinovet wrote:
Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:It was created for that purposes, but then abandoned that purpose, seeing as how you people started to become well known.

Actually, no. It does show caring and friendship but it does have very good comical elements and a good story. It may seem like a girly show just because of the name but it truly isn't.

Sinovet
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sinovet » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:47 pm

Western Vale Confederacy wrote:
Sinovet wrote:That would be incorrect. The show is still a show for girls. The fact that its makers acknowledge the bizarre phenomenon surrounding their show does not change that.

Let us not forget the fact that the show has allowed some shy bronies to socialize with other bronies.

I ain't denying that. That has nothing to do with the target audience issue.
Sinovet wrote:That would be incorrect. The show is still a show for girls. The fact that its makers acknowledge the bizarre phenomenon surrounding their show does not change that.

Actually, no. It does show caring and friendship but it does have very good comical elements and a good story. It may seem like a girly show just because of the name but it truly isn't.

You seem to be implying that a girl-targeted show does not or cannot have comical elements and good story.

To be honest, I find it troublesome that someone who has scarcely watched the show (you) is arguing about the show with a person who has watched every episode at least three times (me). The fact remains that if you know the feel of the show, you know it was made for girls, and you also know that remains true even if the makers sneak in some brony fan service from time to time.

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:49 pm

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:50 pm

You seem to be implying that a girl-targeted show does not or cannot have comical elements and good story.

No, I'm not, but such elements and stories are not all specifically related to such target audience, regardless, this:
To be honest, I find it troublesome that someone who has scarcely watched the show (you) is arguing about the show with a person who has watched every episode at least three times (me). The fact remains that if you know the feel of the show, you know it was made for girls, and you also know that remains true even if the makers sneak in some brony fan service from time to time.

Has convinced me to add another one.

Sinovet
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sinovet » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:54 pm

No, I'm not, but such elements and stories are not all specifically related to such target audience

Perhaps not, but a myriad of other elements in the show are specifically related to that target audience.

They are what Spike would refer to as "frilly girl things". If you've seen pretty much any episode except for season premiers and finales, you will see plenty of these obviously girly things.

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:55 pm

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction