NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Ban Websites Promoting Piracy of Electronic Goods

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gottesland (Ancient)
Secretary

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: [Draft] Ban Websites Promoting Piracy of Electronic Goods

Postby Gottesland (Ancient) » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:28 pm

The Emmerian Unions wrote:
Rutianas wrote:In theory, since the Emmerian Unions is not subject to your laws (or the WA), then they won't be fined, experience jail time, or the websites disbanded if they are in a location that is not subject to copyright laws.

Quite true, Madam Jenner. I have not had any jail time for the songs and *ahem* other things I've downloaded from ohter nations. And the sites I've used are not taken down, so I still use them.

Random citizen #103

Well for one, you are not a member of the WA and the resolution isn't passed. If the resolution was passed, websites would be closed down. If you are a member of the WA, you will be fined and possibly jailed.

Gottesland (Ancient)
Secretary

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gottesland (Ancient) » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:31 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Rutianas wrote:I still want to know exactly why this should be forced on other nations that do not have copyright ... these oppressive media and information laws ...

Paula Jenner, Rutianas Ambassador

Oh, dear. It looks like our delegations will be arguing a lot when I reveal the draft of an international copyright law.

That is, if I make it that long. Chancellor Gillibrand has been trying to get me out of office for the last month, and he seems to be getting through all the FAA red tape.

Dr. Bradford Castro,
chargés d’affaires ad interim of the World Assembly diplomatic mission
of the Commonwealth of Glen-Rhodes

Yeah, lol. Look at the major effect, if you both our resolutions are passed. I was simply advocating enforcing individual domestic nation copyright laws internationally against those who do commit piracy via internet. But, if you resolution is passed, I have to change mine for international copyright law, instead of enforcing individual domestic copyright laws of individual nations.
Last edited by Gottesland (Ancient) on Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:33 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Rutianas wrote:I still want to know exactly why this should be forced on other nations that do not have copyright ... these oppressive media and information laws ...

Oh, dear. It looks like our delegations will be arguing a lot when I reveal the draft of an international copyright law.

That is, if I make it that long. Chancellor Gillibrand has been trying to get me out of office for the last month, and he seems to be getting through all the FAA red tape.

Dr. Bradford Castro,
chargés d’affaires ad interim of the World Assembly diplomatic mission
of the Commonwealth of Glen-Rhodes

Not likely, Dr. Castro. I've received word that Rutianas will likely be resigning from the WA and that one of our colonies will be taking it's place. The Imperial Republic will still be a part of the WA, through our colony, but Rutianas herself will not be bound by WA laws.

Our colony seems far more suited to the WA than Rutianas is. We've been quite disappointed with all of the illegal proposals and things that are not worth the WA's time.

I'm also stating now that copyright laws are not an international issue. That said, we'll see how it unfolds later.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:31 am

Gottesland wrote:Bears armed,

If they are not MP3's, what could they be? MP3 is a commercial term for the generic term, Audio File. I simply used the term MP3's, since those are one of many audio-visual files we recognize.

OOC: It's a commercial term in RL, maybe, but not necessarily one in NS too... at least, not on a widespread basis...
Why not just use the 'generic' term instead?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Serbian_Soviet_Union
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Serbian_Soviet_Union » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:17 pm

Waste of time and money. Also goes beyond WA restrictions as there are 35,000 other nation states that have internet and are not covered by this resolution, so how can it be enforcable and implemented without restricting the freedom of information thats on the internet.
Zastava Arms Inc Cheap Military Hardware: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6443
Zastava Energy Inc & Zastava Oil Corporation: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7806
Full member of: AMNAT, CIN, SCUTUM, CA, VA, PSUS
Observer Member of: GIA, EA, CI

Defcon: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) State of War/State of Emergency || Preparation for a possible war
Military size 5% Active || 2.5% Reserves
Government Type: Capitalist, Conservative, Right Wing, Democratic
FSSU Nations Factbook: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9558
Serbian Broadcasting News: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9733
Baxtell Heavy Engineering Droid Works

Previous

Return to General Assembly