NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Gun Control: Registration of Firearms

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Gottesland (Ancient)
Secretary

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

[Draft] Gun Control: Registration of Firearms

Postby Gottesland (Ancient) » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:39 pm

In the Status Quo,

There are numerous firearms being purchased, sold, traded-off, handed-off, used, and misused internationally. Many of these firearms are not registered in any nation members of the World Assembly. This becomes a problem for a nation's law enforcement as well as international joint law enforcement investigation. From a crime scene, all bullets recovered that were fired by unregistered firearms are just simply bullets from a victim's body, hole in the wall, hole in the car, or worse, hole in the mattress of child's bed. None of the bullets will match a firearm that is unregistered, making the case rather difficult to solve and criminals are free to commit the same crime again, again, and again until caught red handed.

This why as Members of the World Assembly,

We MUST enact a firearm registration program in our own nations. Many of us may have radical or unique ideas for the program for our own nations. We must at least come up with a program for ourselves and enact it in our own nations.

We WILL share information of the firearm registered in our own nations by sending copies of the information to an international data bank that all members have access. This benefits all members of the World Assembly when a criminal investigation is international and involves two or more members of the World Assembly.

We MUST enforce our firearm legislation against unregistered firearms domestically and against the proliferation of such firearms cross our borders as well as internationally. This will help keep track of firearms and their owners. Additionally, this will prevent unregistered firearms from being dumped into other nations.

The additional benefits of this enactment of a register firearm program and international share of information are the following;

Crime rates will decrease significantly because of a register firearm used or stolen make it easier for law enforcement officers to locate and punish those who used the firearm. This discourages criminals of all kind.

If we do not enact registration program in our nations,

We will have a mess of unregistered firearms scattered left and right of our nations. Law enforcement expenses will become problem for us individually and the rate of crime and victims will continue rise exceptionally.

Mandolore the Enraged
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: [Draft] Gun Control: Registration of Firearms

Postby Mandolore the Enraged » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:45 pm

No only military and police have guns in my nation

Absolvability
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:51 pm

A compelling piece of writing, Ambassador, but it comes off more as a persuasive speech than a resolution. While I believe that a certain amount of freedom should be granted in the style department, I think that your draft could make good use of a more direct approach. And including some details may be necessary as well. I understand that the only thing you are mandating is some form of gun registration in member-states... and I think we all appreciate your leniency on just how it's done, but to a certain extent I feel like much more needs to be explained here.

For one thing... if a nation had no registration process prior to this passing, what shall be done with all the firearms presently in circulation?
Antonius Veloci
Ambassador of The Event Horizon of Absolvability

Gottesland (Ancient)
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Gottesland (Ancient) » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:23 pm

Mandolore the Enraged,

I understand in your nation only government and state-government officials possess firearms. I have few questions.
what if a firearm was used in murder?
How would you know who have committed the crime in your departments?
What if the firearm was stolen?
Does your nation already have inventory system in place?
If so, does it keep a ballistic profile on each firearm?

Absolvability,

Thank you for your compliments and addressing two issues. Yes, I agree. My resolution sounds more like a persuasive speech than a resolution. However, by my observations many resolution purposed and passed were not very persuasive and receive less affirmative votes than the few persuasive resolutions. Now, the issues you addressed are probably the main issues with this resolution. I have to thank you again for addressing them.

If a nation has no registration process prior to the passing of the resolution and there are already several firearms being circulated within such nations, the nation can simply begin a process at the level where customers 'legally' purchase firearms. The firearm itself is rather easy to profile by make, model, serial number, and if shoots a bullet, a simple catch apparatus can be used to catch a bullet for forensic ballistics. The rifling grooves are easily documented by computers or simply examined by microscope. It should be a mandate for all retail stores, outdoor outlets, super centers, and pawn shops to have their inventory registered prior to resale and sale. For homeowners who already own firearms, an incentive can encourage homeowners to have their firearms registered, besides the obvious incentive having their firearms already cleared of suspicion during in a local criminal investigation.

What is your take on my response?

Meekinos
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Meekinos » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:03 am

Oh goody. Nothing like pointless bureaucracy to bloat the government. Really, does this even need to be discussed? Just because the honourable delegate has crime issues in his nation is by no means indicative of any other nation. If the honourable delegate wishes for his government to waste time on a bloated gun registry, then by all means, but for an international body, there needs to be a really good reason why we should even consider such a waste of resources. Of course, that is beside the point as this would ultimately be unprofitable for the munitions industry.

This should ultimately be left to each nation. Guns and other firearms are received different in every nation.
Ambassador Gavriil Floros
Meekinos' Official WA Ambassador
Deputy Treasurer, North Pleides Merchant's Syndicate
CEO & Financial Manager of Delta Energy Ltd.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Executive Senior Delegate
Educator
The Hellenic Republic of Meekinos
Factbook: Your Friendly Guide to Meekinos
The paranoid, isolationist, xenophobic capitalists.

Absolvability
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:02 am

Gottesland wrote:If a nation has no registration process prior to the passing of the resolution and there are already several firearms being circulated within such nations, the nation can simply begin a process at the level where customers 'legally' purchase firearms. The firearm itself is rather easy to profile by make, model, serial number, and if shoots a bullet, a simple catch apparatus can be used to catch a bullet for forensic ballistics. The rifling grooves are easily documented by computers or simply examined by microscope. It should be a mandate for all retail stores, outdoor outlets, super centers, and pawn shops to have their inventory registered prior to resale and sale. For homeowners who already own firearms, an incentive can encourage homeowners to have their firearms registered, besides the obvious incentive having their firearms already cleared of suspicion during in a local criminal investigation.

What is your take on my response?

Your response is pleasing... but only once you've incorporated these ideas into your proposal. This is exactly what I'm talking about. Oh, and since this proposal will need to be international in nature (and because I know you have a passion for banning international straw-sales,) you may want to include some clauses to that extent as well.
Antonius Veloci
Ambassador of The Event Horizon of Absolvability

Gottesland (Ancient)
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Gottesland (Ancient) » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:31 pm

Meekinos,

Ammunition industry is not affected by a registration of firearms, which are two different industries, and it is not waste of resources, when it can simply be done prior to the customers purchasing the firearm. Some nations could in fact have their firearm manufacturers have a mandate that their manufactured firearms be registered when they are test fired. A single bullet from a pistol or a rifle all it takes for ballistic profile. The remaining information about a pistol or a rifle is the serial number and model. For shotguns, only the gauge, serial number, and model is needed. Once it is purchased, the customer simply signs a document stating they have purchase a particular firearm with the serial number of whatever, which have an unique rifling that separates itself from other similar models. For purchase of shotguns, customers still sign a document that states they purchase the shotgun with the serial number on file.

Have you stop and considered what happens in a criminal investigation involving more than ten firearms in huge area of several miles? How much it costs in terms of money, time, and people?
Think about a bullet was recovered from a crime scene and the rifling matches an individual firearm on file. It reduces the amount of money and time spent on the investigation.

It is not only my nation that can benefit from having the majority of domestic manufactured firearms and circulating foreign firearms registered. My fellow members and neighbors will benefit from having information about the firearms originated in my nation and who recently own the firearm, who could be a native or a foreigner. It is simply reducing the cost of money and time spent in investigations. Additionally, preventing complaints of alleged illegal search and seizures as well as a movement of the left to bureaucrat a nation. By the way, a left moment would be disarming private citizens to reduce crime because everyone would be equal, except for the government officials.

Gottesland (Ancient)
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Gottesland (Ancient) » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:34 pm

Absolvability,

I will rewrite the draft as soon as I am able. I will incorporate the mandates and have you take a fine pick comb to it. Is there any other issues you see in the draft?

Meekinos
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Meekinos » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:25 am

Gottesland wrote:Ammunition industry is not affected by a registration of firearms, which are two different industries, and it is not waste of resources, when it can simply be done prior to the customers purchasing the firearm. Some nations could in fact have their firearm manufacturers have a mandate that their manufactured firearms be registered when they are test fired. A single bullet from a pistol or a rifle all it takes for ballistic profile. The remaining information about a pistol or a rifle is the serial number and model. For shotguns, only the gauge, serial number, and model is needed. Once it is purchased, the customer simply signs a document stating they have purchase a particular firearm with the serial number of whatever, which have an unique rifling that separates itself from other similar models. For purchase of shotguns, customers still sign a document that states they purchase the shotgun with the serial number on file.

We understand the basic concept of ballistic markings, no need for it to be explained.

We have no need for government interference. A registry would add unnecessary bureaucracy. Even if the client is just signing a piece of paper, it is an unnecessary encumbrance for the merchant to worry about registering the document and worrying about following bothersome regulations which no doubt interfere with the pursuit of profit, which will impact on happiness. It also goes against the teachings of the Prophets of Profit, which says that merchant-client relationships are built on the foundation of confidentiality.

Gottesland wrote:Have you stop and considered what happens in a criminal investigation involving more than ten firearms in huge area of several miles? How much it costs in terms of money, time, and people?
Think about a bullet was recovered from a crime scene and the rifling matches an individual firearm on file. It reduces the amount of money and time spent on the investigation.

We have. We also have our own methods for dealing with this kind of thing.

Gottesland wrote:It is not only my nation that can benefit from having the majority of domestic manufactured firearms and circulating foreign firearms registered. My fellow members and neighbors will benefit from having information about the firearms originated in my nation and who recently own the firearm, who could be a native or a foreigner. It is simply reducing the cost of money and time spent in investigations. Additionally, preventing complaints of alleged illegal search and seizures as well as a movement of the left to bureaucrat a nation. By the way, a left moment would be disarming private citizens to reduce crime because everyone would be equal, except for the government officials.

But then there is still inequality. No one is equal in your version either.

Besides, negotiations are better conducted when you don't know what kind of weapon if any is being carried by the other. It reduces all potential for fraud an other forms of underhanded tactics.
Ambassador Gavriil Floros
Meekinos' Official WA Ambassador
Deputy Treasurer, North Pleides Merchant's Syndicate
CEO & Financial Manager of Delta Energy Ltd.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Executive Senior Delegate
Educator
The Hellenic Republic of Meekinos
Factbook: Your Friendly Guide to Meekinos
The paranoid, isolationist, xenophobic capitalists.

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:43 am

Considering every citizen that has served in the military is allowed to keep their sidearms and procure more guns, this would be a logistical nightmare for us. We have our own ways of tracking weapons used in a crime. We don't need a large registry to 'assist' us. It would cause more harm than good, I fear.

I'm not even sure why this is an international issue to force a national registry. Focus on the international aspect and we'll talk further. Perhaps proof of registration to an international 'gun control' board is required for all international travel? A ban on international sales except through certain 'official' channels? Requiring all guns to be registered may be difficult for many nations, particularly those who cannot pay for such a registry.

Paula Jenner, Rutianas Ambassador

Morlago
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Morlago » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:34 am

Is there a proper draft out there, Gottesland?
Angelo Gervoski
Minister of WA Affairs of
The United Islands of Morlago
Yë Morre Waidamün i Mórlago

DEFCON: 1 2 (Low) 3 4 5 6

Economic Left/Right: -1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33
Graph
Center-left social moderate.
Left: 2.2, Libertarian: 0.75
Foreign Policy: -6.11 (Non-interventionalist)
Culture: -6.31 (Cultural liberal)

axmanland
Attaché

Founded: Apr 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby axmanland » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:46 pm

Axmanland finds itself unable to support this legislation. We have a mandatory 5 year national service program for ALL citizens and private persons are allowed to own anything up to and including field artillery.

However due to the nature of our society crime is virtually unknown witch just goes to show that if the old lady you want to mug might have five pounds of C-4 and a dead mans switch crime becomes a much less attractive prospect!

Gottesland (Ancient)
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Gottesland (Ancient) » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:49 pm

The edit draft is still progress. I have been busy the past couple days with my girlfriend and work. I will have the final draft of the resolution posted, soon.

axmanland wrote:Axmanland finds itself unable to support this legislation. We have a mandatory 5 year national service program for ALL citizens and private persons are allowed to own anything up to and including field artillery.

However due to the nature of our society crime is virtually unknown witch just goes to show that if the old lady you want to mug might have five pounds of C-4 and a dead mans switch crime becomes a much less attractive prospect!

Axmanland, how about several thousands assault rifles and few of those artillery pieces been stolen and simply pawn in someone else's nation? Will that bug you? Will that make you think maybe you should have some kind of regulation for the privately own firearms to prevent illegal possession, theft, and hopefully not armament of my neighbor or thy enemy?

If you country is die hard, we own more guns than the next guy, that is cool. I support civil rights to bear arms. But if those weapons land in the hands of your enemy and those firearms were in fact manufactured by your citizens, it is going to be a slap in your face and it will get to you. Just keep that in mind.

Laglandia
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Laglandia » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:54 am

A timely proposal and lively debate.

May I suggest that a compromise position might be achieved that might create a registry for weapons intended for sale to military or militarized organizations. This could prove a useful tool for discovering the source of weapons that fall into the hands of aggressive nation states and the violent fringe. I see accountability as the key to stemming the unfettered proliferation of military grade arms.

In my compromise, sporting rifles, shotguns that hold 7 or less shells and pistols with a 15 shell clip capacity or less would be exempt.

axmanland
Attaché

Founded: Apr 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby axmanland » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:50 pm

Gottesland wrote:The edit draft is still progress. I have been busy the past couple days with my girlfriend and work. I will have the final draft of the resolution posted, soon.

axmanland wrote:Axmanland finds itself unable to support this legislation. We have a mandatory 5 year national service program for ALL citizens and private persons are allowed to own anything up to and including field artillery.

Gottesland wrote: Axmanland, how about several thousands assault rifles and few of those artillery pieces been stolen and simply pawn in someone else's nation? Will that bug you? Will that make you think maybe you should have some kind of regulation for the privately own firearms to prevent illegal possession, theft, and hopefully not armament of my neighbor or thy enemy?

If you country is die hard, we own more guns than the next guy, that is cool. I support civil rights to bear arms. But if those weapons land in the hands of your enemy and those firearms were in fact manufactured by your citizens, it is going to be a slap in your face and it will get to you. Just keep that in mind.

Axmanland notes the many fine points you make and as you make them in a calm measured reasonable we we will explain our contrary point of view in a similarly calm measured way.

Axmanland has followed a policy of manipulating and exploiting the many small and disorganized states that surround our borders and unregistered firearms allow a plausibly deniable method of supplying arms to various "fringe" movements in these states.

You make a very good point about armed groups having access to arms. Its very much true that terrorist organizations within our fair land are FAR FAR better equipped than your average AK-47 wielding rebel.

( a fact we here in Axmanland are oddly proud of )

But this just means that we spend a truly STAGGERING proportion of our GDP on arming our police, paramilitaries and armed forces in order to provide a wildly disproportionate response to any criminals missed by our progressive social rehabilitation policies.

In short although we respect your deeply held convictions and firmly agree to your right to enact whatever laws you wish to within your own borders we believe this proposal would not be in our nations own best interests ant will resist attempts to have it imposed upon us.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly