NATION

PASSWORD

Should FOMA be replaced? (Read 1st post)

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should WA member states be required to recognize gay marriages?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes : 99

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:03 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:I oppose gay marriage primarily on religious grounds.

I never make my opposition to gay marriage known to my gay friends or family members (though some of them do know I oppose gay marriage). I value those relationships and do not like making anyone feel like he is any less of a person.

Perhaps you should question what kind of god would make you choose between your friends and your faith. Mine doesn't, and I think it's a much happier way to live.

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:05 pm

This is just a warning, not only to you, but to anyone:

Repeal the Freedom of Marriage Act, and I WILL Propose to Condemn you. None of this posturing nonsense, like Unibot did.
Member of The South and Osiris
Representing Mahaj in the World Assembly.
The Mahaj Factbook.

Author of Missing Minors Act (Repealed) and In Regards to Cloning
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Brogavia wrote:Fuck bitches, get money.
You shall be my god.

Georgism wrote:Fuck off you cunt, I'm always nice.

NERVUN wrote:Yog zap!

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:I am the Urinater..... I'll be back.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.

Warzone Codger
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Warzone Codger » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:08 pm

I don't have the moral qualms of others and are willing to back that up with force to your region. I don't care if it's founded. We want to make a point.
Warwick Z Codger the Warzone Codger.
Warzone Pioneer | Peacezone Philosopher | Scourge of Polls | Forever Terror Officer of TRR
GA #121: Medical Facilities Protection | SC #183: Commend Haiku | Commended by SC #87: Commend Warzone Codger

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:10 pm

Unibot wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:I oppose gay marriage primarily on religious grounds.

I never make my opposition to gay marriage known to my gay friends or family members (though some of them do know I oppose gay marriage). I value those relationships and do not like making anyone feel like he is any less of a person.

Perhaps you should question what kind of god would make you choose between your friends and your faith. Mine doesn't, and I think it's a much happier way to live.

A) "Love the sinner, hate the sin."

B) Though I'm not God, I don't believe homosexual acts are a damnable offense, though they are contrary to natural and divine law.

C) Catholics are taught that there is nothing wrong with homosexuality (i.e., homosexual tendencies are "disordered" in the sense that they are not normal yet they are natural), though homosexual acts are sinful.

A homosexual act is considered no more sinful than a variety of other sins, e.g. fornication, and, in fact, isn't as bad as adultery, which hurts another person.

D) What religion are you?
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:12 pm

Warzone Codger wrote:I don't have the moral qualms of others and are willing to back that up with force to your region. I don't care if it's founded. We want to make a point.

:blink: Please elaborate.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:13 pm

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:This is just a warning, not only to you, but to anyone:

Repeal the Freedom of Marriage Act, and I WILL Propose to Condemn you. None of this posturing nonsense, like Unibot did.

If you don't mind my asking (you don't have to respond), is there any particular reason why you take such a personal interest in defending gay marriage?

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:21 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:D) What religion are you?

You'd laugh if I tried to explained it. But it basically concludes their we're all in the dream of a staircase that gets walked over a thousand times a day. I call it Staircism, and I actually do adhere to it. The main principle is that the meaning of life is to amuse yourself and others. So smile! :)

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:26 pm

Unibot wrote:[T]he meaning of life is to amuse yourself and others.

This game can be amusing.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Warzone Codger
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Warzone Codger » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:29 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Warzone Codger wrote:I don't have the moral qualms of others and are willing to back that up with force to your region. I don't care if it's founded. We want to make a point.

:blink: Please elaborate.

We are threatening to raid your region if this Act is repealed. It doesn't matter that your region has a founder - It is about making the point.

(OOC: I always found it silly how the "region-crashing" is spilt between raiders and defenders who live in their own little world. It makes more sense and adds to the overall game if it's seen as an extension of a region's foreign policy based on the other things your region does. You don't raid for raiding's sake. But youdo it a particular reason. In this case, disagreement with one's WA views)
Last edited by Warzone Codger on Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warwick Z Codger the Warzone Codger.
Warzone Pioneer | Peacezone Philosopher | Scourge of Polls | Forever Terror Officer of TRR
GA #121: Medical Facilities Protection | SC #183: Commend Haiku | Commended by SC #87: Commend Warzone Codger

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:29 pm

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:This is just a warning, not only to you, but to anyone:

If you don't mind my asking (you don't have to respond), is there any particular reason why you take such a personal interest in defending gay marriage?

Twenty teen suicides so far in my small town alone is enough to convince me that people need to stick up for people being shunned by society. I don't need a bible to tell me that's wrong, in fact, it wouldn't be very moral at all if I did it just because a maxim, or someone or something told me to do it... I guess I just believe in justice and equality, and my Dad's (who is ironically an admittedly homophobic man) favorite line, "stick up for the little guy" (which is curiously a maxim).
Last edited by Unibot on Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:36 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:FOMA in no way prohibits religious ceremonies from being carried out. It does not compel traditional religious institutions to acknowledge these unions. The state itself is compelled to recognize all unions equally.

In a theocracy, where state and religion are intertwine, it may seem that the religion is being forced to acknowledge it. This is why civil contracts exist. The state grants civil contracts to all couples and allows the religious institutions to conduct ceremonies privately. The lines may be blurred but it doesn't change two simple facts: FOMA is only binding on the government and religious institutions are still able to carry out their ceremonies.

In my nation, Christian Democrats, every marriage must be blessed by a priest or deacon before it is considered valid because marriage is viewed as a covenant, not a contract. This includes . . . gay marriages; otherwise, I'd be violating provision 3c of GAR #15. So, even gay marriages are blessed, despite an overwhelming ammount of opposition.

Violence against the LGBT community is extremely uncommon because my citizens are taught to love everyone ( :hug: ). Those who do commit acts of violence against LGBT people receive long prison terms. (The exact length of time depends upon the act of violence.)

Well, your nation is not the World Assembly, now is it? And it's clear you've found a loophole (remember that noncompliance bit I've mentioned in the past? Guess, what, you do utilize it, whether you believe it or not), which is not having a government contract but instead a covenant. Now that you've essentially weaselled your way out of a resolution, does it truly matter whether or not it exists? It's rather petty.

Again, what does your nation have to do with the resolution? I'm strongly suspecting heavy national sovereignty in the text and tone of the repeal. What does the violence have to do with anything? It suggests that might makes right.

And of my other points?
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

New Azura
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby New Azura » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:42 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:In my nation, Christian Democrats, every marriage must be blessed by a priest or deacon before it is considered valid because marriage is viewed as a covenant, not a contract. This includes . . . gay marriages; otherwise, I'd be violating provision 3c of GAR #15. So, even gay marriages are blessed, despite an overwhelming ammount of opposition.

Violence against the LGBT community is extremely uncommon because my citizens are taught to love everyone ( :hug: ). Those who do commit acts of violence against LGBT people receive long prison terms. (The exact length of time depends upon the act of violence.)

Well, your nation is not the World Assembly, now is it? And it's clear you've found a loophole (remember that noncompliance bit I've mentioned in the past? Guess, what, you do utilize it, whether you believe it or not), which is not having a government contract but instead a covenant. Now that you've essentially weaselled your way out of a resolution, does it truly matter whether or not it exists? It's rather petty.

Again, what does your nation have to do with the resolution? I'm strongly suspecting heavy national sovereignty in the text and tone of the repeal. What does the violence have to do with anything? It suggests that might makes right.

And of my other points?

I would have expected a moderator to use a bit more discretion before posting in such a manner. I mean no offense to your character as a person, of course, but do find it a bit disconcerting the way you've jumped into this mess.
THEEVENGUARDOFAZURA
UNFIOREPERILCOLOSSO

FRIEND OF KRAVEN (2005-2023)KRAVEN PREVAILS!18 YEARS OF STORIES DELETED

THEDOMINIONOFTHEAZURANS
CAPITAL:RAEVENNADEMONYM:AZURGOVERNMENT:SYNDICAL REPUBLICLANGUAGE:AZURI

Her Graceful Excellence the Phaedra
CALIXTEIMARAUDER
By the Grace of the Lord God, the Daughter of Tsyion, Spirited Maiden, First Matron of House Vardanyan
Imperatrix of the Evenguard of Azura and Sovereign Over Her Dependencies, the Governess of Isaura
and the Defender of the Children of Azura

— Controlled Nations —
Artemis Noir, Dragua Sevua, Grand Ventana, Hanasaku, New Azura, Nova Secta and Xiahua

— Other Supported Regions —
Esvanovia (P/MT), Teremara (P/MT), The Local Cluster (FT)

— Roleplay Tech Levels —
[PT][MT][PMT][FT][FanT]

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:49 pm

Warzone Codger wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote: :blink: Please elaborate.

We are threatening to raid your region if this Act is repealed. It doesn't matter that your region has a founder - It is about making the point.

(OOC: I always found it silly how the "region-crashing" is spilt between raiders and defenders who live in their own little world. It makes more sense and adds to the overall game if it's seen as an extension of a region's foreign policy based on the other things your region does. You don't raid for raiding's sake. But youdo it a particular reason. In this case, disagreement with one's WA views)

ULTIMATUM:

The Most Holy and Grand Empire of Christian Democrats is fully prepared to begin the process of condemnation against both the the Protectorate of Warzone Codger and her region, Warzone Airspace, if any such attempt of an invasion is made by Warzone Airspace or any region within said region's sphere of influence.

The Protectorate of Warzon Codger hereby is warned not to:
  • Attempt an invasion of Catholic or any allied region,
  • Attempt to condemn Catholic or any allied region,
  • Attempt a condemnation of the Most Holy and Grand Empire of Christian Democrats or any of her allies, or
  • Attempt any act banned on NationStates such as hijacking

Such provisions shall apply not only to the nation and the region to which this ultimatum is issued but to any nation believed to be acting with stated nation or region.

Delegate approval of any Security Council resolution hostile to our nation, our region, an allied nation, or an allied region shall lead to an initiation of condemnation as stated in the opening paragraph of this ultimatum.

The Protectorate of Warzone Codger additionally is directed to oppose in forums and message boards any proposal to take hostile actions as outlined in this ultimatum.
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:52 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:In my nation, Christian Democrats, every marriage must be blessed by a priest or deacon before it is considered valid because marriage is viewed as a covenant, not a contract. This includes . . . gay marriages; otherwise, I'd be violating provision 3c of GAR #15. So, even gay marriages are blessed, despite an overwhelming ammount of opposition.

And of my other points?

:blink: I said my nation begrudgingly blesses gay marriages.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:55 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:Well, your nation is not the World Assembly, now is it? And it's clear you've found a loophole (remember that noncompliance bit I've mentioned in the past? Guess, what, you do utilize it, whether you believe it or not), which is not having a government contract but instead a covenant. Now that you've essentially weaselled your way out of a resolution, does it truly matter whether or not it exists? It's rather petty.

And of my other points?

:blink: I said my nation begrudgingly blesses gay marriages.

In this thread you implied otherwise, which is why I was asking. It seemed as though you found your own little method of noncompliance/
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:59 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote: :blink: I said my nation begrudgingly blesses gay marriages.

In this thread you implied otherwise, which is why I was asking. It seemed as though you found your own little method of noncompliance/

My nation complies with both the language and original intent of all resolutions.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:33 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:Because of what the poll is showing, I'm probably going to abandon this. The current WA is much more left-wing than its predecessor (see initial post).

Just to point out a few facts now that I've abandoned this proposal . . .

SUPPORT FOR AN INTERNATIONAL REQUIREMENT (ON NATIONSTATES) TO RECOGNIZE GAY MARRIAGES:

08/30/2006 . . . . . 40% support
09/03/2008 . . . . . 56% support
CURRENT POLL . . . 75% support

It appears as if gay marriage is here to stay.
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:41 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:It appears as if gay marriage is here to stay.

Thank God. :)

Rawrgirnia
Attaché

Founded: Aug 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Rawrgirnia » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:52 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:It appears as if gay marriage is here to stay.

For good reason, too! It was a hard battle to attain those rights. If you attempt to remove them, your nation will be seen as an enemy of equality and human rights.
Last edited by Rawrgirnia on Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:53 pm

Oh, is that how we set legislative policy in the WA now? By nonbinding forum polls? Awesome, I guess half the things I introduced before may now be repealed, seeing how most of them failed at forum vote. :roll:
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

TannerFrankLand
Envoy

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby TannerFrankLand » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:55 pm

I'd cast my region's vote for this. But I won't and didn't vote in a forum poll.
WA Security Council:
SC #3 ~ Condemn Nazi Europe [SORRY!]
SC #12 ~ Commend Todd McCloud
SC #18 ~ Commend Sedgistan
SC #27 ~ Condemn Unknown
SC #36 ~ Liberate Eastern Europe
SC #51 ~ Commend Fudgetopia
SC #67 ~ Commend Naivetry
SC #71 ~ Repeal Condemn Unknown.
WA General Assembly:
GA #81 ~ Disaster Preparedness Act
GA #105 ~ Preparing For Disasters
GA #164 ~ Consular Rights
GA #278 ~ Repeal "Right to Privacy"
Security Council Fanatic
Delegate of St Abbaddon,
Member of the Council of State of Balder,
Former delegate of The South Pacific,
Topid

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:03 pm

Rawrgirnia wrote:For good reason, too! It was a hard battle to attain those rights. If you attempt to remove them, your nation will be seen as an enemy of equality and human rights.

Really? You were around in the summer of '08 when this passed? You can speak with authority about how easy or hard it was to pass it? It was a single vote, swiftly adopted because it had a popular title. Moreover, I am sick and tired of the continuing assumption that because this resolution has a fluffy title, it automatically makes it a good resolution. Freedom of Marriage Act is a horrid resolution, plagued by legalese and ambiguous mandates; it was hard to tell if any nation was in compliance with it at all. Note that Brutland and Norden sought to get around this resolution by discontinuing all state-sponsored marriages...to this day I sill don't know if that was a legit response.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Rawrgirnia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Rawrgirnia » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:14 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Really? You were around in the summer of '08 when this passed? You can speak with authority about how easy or hard it was to pass it? It was a single vote, swiftly adopted because it had a popular title.

Surely the ambassador realizes that legislation passed here affects more than just those who are in the debate. This is a debate that has been going on for a long time outside these halls, participated in by millions of citizens of the various nations in this.. um.. universe. Whether or not a nation was a part of the WA at that time has little bearing on the fact that they had to fight for equal rights.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:22 pm

The WA was established in April of '08, and the marriage act was adopted four months later. Prior to that, the UN operated under multiple resolutions, dating back to its earliest days, protecting (or seeking to protect) marriage rights for same-sex couples. In this universe (specifically, the part of it affected by UN/WA laws), where fluffy resolutions are extraordinarily easy to get passed, the struggle was not hard-fought. What happens outside the WA has no bearing here, as non-WA nations are under no obligation to follow WA laws.

Rawrgirnia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Rawrgirnia » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:29 pm

I'm not quite sure I understand. What exactly is your problem with the resolution? I mean specific pieces, because just calling it "fluffy" makes no point.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly