NATION

PASSWORD

(SUBMITTED) Defense of Life Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

When should elective abortion be legal? (excluding rape, incest, fetal defects, etc.)

Never
31%
1st trimester
11%
1st & 2nd trimesters
10%
Always
48%

Total votes : 291

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:07 pm

Nulono wrote:From what I can tell, this only bans abortion after viability/fetal pain. I see no reason why a rape victim ought be allowed to abort a 9-month fetus.

I agree completely.
Nulono wrote:In that case, they could induce labor.

Which is why I originally included the labor induction clause.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:09 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve this proposal?

If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Intellect and the Arts
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intellect and the Arts » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:09 pm

Nulono wrote:From what I can tell, this only bans abortion after viability/fetal pain. I see no reason why a rape victim ought be allowed to abort a 9-month fetus.

At least make sure that consensual incest and a woman raping a man aren't included.

Actually, viability and fetal pain occur prior to the ninth month in human pregnancies, so your statement appears misinformed.

Further, if a man gets pregnant because a woman rapes him (which IS possible in NationStates), I don't see why his rights should be less recognized than that of a woman who becomes pregnant because a man raped her.

Christian Democrats, I'm going to take a bit of a break as I've been working with various people in the General Assembly for several hours now, resulting in my brain being a little fried. I'll go over this as I stated when I come back.
Ambassadors: Arik S. Drake, and Alice M. Drake, twins

UNOG Member
Intellect and Art (NatSovOrg Member)
The Illustrious Renae
Ex-Parrot
Ennill
NERVUN wrote:By my powers combined, I am CAPTAIN MODERATION!

Nulono
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:11 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:

I agree completely.
Nulono wrote:In that case, they could induce labor.

But if the rape victim wants to abort at 9 months, you would allow this?

Intellect and the Arts wrote:

At least make sure that consensual incest and a woman raping a man aren't included.

Actually, viability and fetal pain occur prior to the ninth month in human pregnancies, so your statement appears misinformed.

Further, if a man gets pregnant because a woman rapes him (which IS possible in NationStates), I don't see why his rights should be less recognized than that of a woman who becomes pregnant because a man raped her.

Christian Democrats, I'm going to take a bit of a break as I've been working with various people in the General Assembly for several hours now, resulting in my brain being a little fried. I'll go over this as I stated when I come back.
Read "woman" as "the one who gets pregnant" and "man" as "the one who impregnates".
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.38
Numbers written with an apostrophe are in dozenal unless otherwise noted.
For example, 0'3 = 0.25, and 100' = 144.

Ratios are measured in perunums instead of percent.
1 perunum = 100 percent = 84' percent

The Nuclear Fist wrote:If all it it takes to count as a five star hotel in America is having air conditioning and not letting those who reside in it die of hyperthermia, you have shitty hotels.

Republika Jugoslavija wrote:Actually nuclear war is not the world ending scenario that many would have folks believe.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:15 pm

Nulono wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:I agree completely.

But if the rape victim wants to abort at 9 months, you would allow this?

I argued this exact same point earlier in the debate, but I had to make this concession to keep the proposal viable (no pun intended). Without this exception, many neutral nations easily could be persuaded to oppose the proposal because of this unlikely scenario.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Nulono
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:17 pm

It is in the opinion of the Nulona delegation that this proposal, while arising from a noble cause, has been watered down too much.

The Nuclear Fist wrote:If all it it takes to count as a five star hotel in America is having air conditioning and not letting those who reside in it die of hyperthermia, you have shitty hotels.

Republika Jugoslavija wrote:Actually nuclear war is not the world ending scenario that many would have folks believe.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:26 pm

Nulono wrote:It is in the opinion of the Nulona delegation that this proposal, while arising from a noble cause, has been watered down too much.

I'm only trying to water it down to the point where it will be able to pass. I'm only trying to water it down as far as it will pass with 50% + 1 support.

The problem is that most delegates are social progressives . . . or, if you dislike using misnomers, social regressives.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:42 pm

In one of these abortion debates, someone argued that abortion has been legal in the past. I did not have time to reply but was going to come back and reply later. Now, I cannot find that post, so I'll post a reply here. Please come forward and respond to this if you are the ambassador who made such an argument. I want to know . . .

Do we really want to regress to less civilized times?
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:45 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:In one of these abortion debates, someone argued that abortion has been legal in the past. I did not have time to reply but was going to come back and reply later. Now, I cannot find that post, so I'll post a reply here. Please come forward and respond to this if you are the ambassador who made such an argument. I want to know . . .

Honoured ambassador: banning or restricting abortion is in fact a regression to less civilized times.

Nulono
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:49 pm

Honored ambassadors, let's not engage in chronological snobbery and consider the merits of proposals regardless of the times at which society agreed with them.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:04 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:In one of these abortion debates, someone argued that abortion has been legal in the past. I did not have time to reply but was going to come back and reply later. Now, I cannot find that post, so I'll post a reply here. Please come forward and respond to this if you are the ambassador who made such an argument. I want to know . . .

Honoured ambassador: banning or restricting abortion is in fact a regression to less civilized times.

I do not understand why many of you want to regress to an unbridled state of social anarchy.
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Honoured ambassador: banning or restricting abortion is in fact a regression to less civilized times.

I do not understand why many of you want to regress to an unbridled state of social anarchy.

Regress to social anarchy? Hah!
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:28 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve this proposal?

Add a lit match?

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Xanthal
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 16, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Xanthal » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:16 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:The problem is that most delegates are social progressives . . . or, if you dislike using misnomers, social regressives.

Frankly, I find both terms loaded and unproductive if the goal is amicable compromise. I agree that there are reasonable restrictions that are appropriate to place on abortion, even to impose through the World Assembly on nations with extremely liberal abortion policies. I also believe, however, that abortion is a right which, though it may be justly abridged, must be fundamentally protected. That is why although you sit on opposite ends of the table, I have tried to make myself productive party to the proposals of both you and Ambassador Harper.
Technology Tier: 9
Arcane Level: 4
Influence Type: 8

Nulono
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:30 pm

How does one go about approving/endorsing/supporting a proposed resolution?

Embolalia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:54 pm

Nulono wrote:How does one go about approving/endorsing/supporting a proposed resolution?

If it has been submitted (it hasn't) and you're a regional delegate (you're not), then you approve it on the proposals page. Otherwise, you say "I like this" in the forums.
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Bible quote? No, that's just common sense.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/
The United Commonwealth of Embolalia

Gafin Gower, Prime minister
E. Rory Hywel, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Gwaredd LLwyd, Lieutenant Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author: GA#95, GA#107, GA#132, GA#185
Philimbesi wrote:Repeal, resign, or relax.

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
Liberal atheist bisexual, and proud of it.
@marcmack wrote:I believe we can build a better world! Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water & dirt. Also, not sure where to put it."

Intellect and the Arts
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intellect and the Arts » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:29 pm

Ok... here we go.

First, I'd suggest putting quotation marks around the words you seek to define for the sake of clarity and to remove potential ambiguity.

Second, I think you can safely remove "or induced" from the definition of abortion. It's generally assumed that if abortion is induced, it's intentional.

Third, since the ability to feel pain, onset of mental activity, and consciousness generally occur at or around the point of viability, it'd also be safe to shorten the definition of "late-term abortion" by removing everything after "older than the limit of viability".

(I'm going to stop with the ordering number words...) It may be advisable to leave out "and that many nations neglect to regulate abortion" from line seven.

The following line,
ACKNOWLEDGING abortion as a medical procedure but declaring that some abortions are not necessary and, hence, are not covered by existing legislation protecting patients' access to necessary and beneficial medical procedures
would be better shortened as
ACKNOWLEDGING that some abortions are not covered by existing legislation protecting patients' access to necessary and beneficial medical procedures

The lines where you directly quote CoCR might be risky... they aren't technically House of Cards violations, but if CoCR is ever repealed (not likely, but if), the quoting and usage of that phrase will no longer make sense or be relevant.

I'd appreciate if the line requiring surgical procedures to be performed by physicians specified that they be QUALIFIED physicians. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want a podiatrist operating on my uterus.

The word "individual" in "RECOGNIZES an individual right..." should be in the possessive. You're recognizing the right of an individual, not a single right as opposed to a plurality.

In the following line, it would behoove you to refer to the aforementioned individuals consistently. You did not call them "objectors" in the preceding clause; therefore, you should not call them as such now. "Individuals" is just fine. Additionally, that line duplicates protections already provided by Freedom of Assembly, Freedom of Expression, and CoCR, so you might want to remove it entirely.

Your idea of creating a committee to regulate when each developing prenate seems superfluous. Surely that determination would be better made by the doctors themselves on a case-by-case basis? Additionally, what is the point of collecting data regarding abortions? Furthermore, the time at which each prenate would qualify for protection cannot be determined universally, even for a given species or subspecies. Ask any mother and she'll tell you that no two pregnancies are exactly alike, just as no two children that result from these pregnancies are exactly alike. Even identical twins, triplets, and so on have some physiological differences. Case-by-case basis is the best way, medically, to determine when a prenate qualifies for the terms of your proposal.

By saying no more than "DISALLOWS forced abortion" you may be effectively preventing abortions that take place due to the exceptions you previously mentioned, including and especially in the case of medical emergency where the abortion MUST be performed to avoid the deaths of both parent and prenate. Since the parent may be incapable of giving consent in a medical emergency, the procedure could be construed as forced. You may want to consider being more specific in describing what you intend to disallow. Perhaps you could instead state that no abortion can be performed against the will of the pregnant individual excepting medical emergencies as outlined previously?

Other than that, I can't think of anything specific at the moment. It's been a long day, and I think I've given you enough to work with for now.
Last edited by Intellect and the Arts on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassadors: Arik S. Drake, and Alice M. Drake, twins

UNOG Member
Intellect and Art (NatSovOrg Member)
The Illustrious Renae
Ex-Parrot
Ennill
NERVUN wrote:By my powers combined, I am CAPTAIN MODERATION!

Tajpania
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tajpania » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:31 pm

Dear Nation of Christian Democrats,

We, the Community of Tajpania have been watching the discussion closely in the past week or so and we would like to point out a few things, before voicing our own opinion.

1. It is interesting, how you used the debate over the viability of abortion after the first trimester as a background noise for a debate about abortion itself. It is notable that this notion of yours didn't succeed, however it shows, that you have tried to pass a bit of a Trojan Horse here.

2. You are totally forgetting a whole other dimension to the debate, while possibly not being the most usable for your side of the argument and certainly pertaining much more than the discussion of abortion. This issue is the cycle of social and cultural norms. Often ( in RL ) and I am sure also in Nation States the social escape velocity for a person to escape there norms and background is far too high for him to achieve and thus being born into certain circumstances can greatly affect your life. Should we allow an individual to be born knowing that the chances of the individual ( collective for other lifeforms ) to fullfill their individual needs and achieve full development and growth as a being can never realise? Sure, if the individual in question doesn't know any better he/she/it/them could live in "Plato's cave" for the rest of their lifespan not knowing what it misses, but is that something we would like to build our societes in? If we know the being will never achieve full potential of existence and also service to the community? We could, but through that we would allow a world where the equality of opportunities is laughable. While it may be more important for you to uphold a moral code you hold sacred for whatever reasons ( quite ironically since democracy means the rule of people while christianity means the reign of God while you call yourself a Christian Democrat, please do not take this as an attack on your ideals, just a remark about what is confusing to our Community ), we think this could also warrant a valid reason for abortion.

For these reasons We, the community of Tajpania believe your proposal ( and the philosophy behind it that it triggers ) is unplausible.
We would like to thank you for noting our opinion and look forward to any discussion it might bring.

Have a nice day

The Community of Tajpania
Last edited by Tajpania on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:33 pm

Nulono wrote:How does one go about approving/endorsing/supporting a proposed resolution?

I'd appreciate it if you could convince Delegate Opalaland to give his/her approval when this proposal is submitted.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:52 am

Intellect and the Arts wrote:Ok... here we go.

First, I'd suggest putting quotation marks around the words you seek to define for the sake of clarity and to remove potential ambiguity.

Second, I think you can safely remove "or induced" from the definition of abortion. It's generally assumed that if abortion is induced, it's intentional.

Third, since the ability to feel pain, onset of mental activity, and consciousness generally occur at or around the point of viability, it'd also be safe to shorten the definition of "late-term abortion" by removing everything after "older than the limit of viability".

(I'm going to stop with the ordering number words...) It may be advisable to leave out "and that many nations neglect to regulate abortion" from line seven.

The following line,
ACKNOWLEDGING abortion as a medical procedure but declaring that some abortions are not necessary and, hence, are not covered by existing legislation protecting patients' access to necessary and beneficial medical procedures
would be better shortened as
ACKNOWLEDGING that some abortions are not covered by existing legislation protecting patients' access to necessary and beneficial medical procedures

The lines where you directly quote CoCR might be risky... they aren't technically House of Cards violations, but if CoCR is ever repealed (not likely, but if), the quoting and usage of that phrase will no longer make sense or be relevant.

I'd appreciate if the line requiring surgical procedures to be performed by physicians specified that they be QUALIFIED physicians. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want a podiatrist operating on my uterus.

The word "individual" in "RECOGNIZES an individual right..." should be in the possessive. You're recognizing the right of an individual, not a single right as opposed to a plurality.

In the following line, it would behoove you to refer to the aforementioned individuals consistently. You did not call them "objectors" in the preceding clause; therefore, you should not call them as such now. "Individuals" is just fine. Additionally, that line duplicates protections already provided by Freedom of Assembly, Freedom of Expression, and CoCR, so you might want to remove it entirely.

Your idea of creating a committee to regulate when each developing prenate seems superfluous. Surely that determination would be better made by the doctors themselves on a case-by-case basis? Additionally, what is the point of collecting data regarding abortions? Furthermore, the time at which each prenate would qualify for protection cannot be determined universally, even for a given species or subspecies. Ask any mother and she'll tell you that no two pregnancies are exactly alike, just as no two children that result from these pregnancies are exactly alike. Even identical twins, triplets, and so on have some physiological differences. Case-by-case basis is the best way, medically, to determine when a prenate qualifies for the terms of your proposal.

By saying no more than "DISALLOWS forced abortion" you may be effectively preventing abortions that take place due to the exceptions you previously mentioned, including and especially in the case of medical emergency where the abortion MUST be performed to avoid the deaths of both parent and prenate. Since the parent may be incapable of giving consent in a medical emergency, the procedure could be construed as forced. You may want to consider being more specific in describing what you intend to disallow. Perhaps you could instead state that no abortion can be performed against the will of the pregnant individual excepting medical emergencies as outlined previously?

Other than that, I can't think of anything specific at the moment. It's been a long day, and I think I've given you enough to work with for now.

Thank you for your suggestions. I made most of the modifications that you recommended.
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:59 am

This has been submitted yet again?? :palm:
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:01 am

Submitted.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:05 am

Just so we can get a handle on it... just how many times do you plan on submitting this? It has not reached queue twice now. resubmitting something which has not made queue several times does not show dogged perserverance, it shows a stubborn refusal to accept reality.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Rawrgirnia
Attaché

Founded: Aug 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Rawrgirnia » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:11 am

It fits in with all the other crap proposals that have the queue so full right now!

Forlon
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forlon » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:15 am

I'd appreciate it if you could convince Delegate Opalaland to give his/her approval when this proposal is submitted.

The Free Land of Forlon is wholeheartedly against this issue, we see no reason why the women in our countries should not be given the choice to have an abortion if they so choose. Personal freedom is paramount to Forlon. I hope that our regional delegate, Opalaland, does not support this resolution.

From the Desk of:
Shinji Dai
Leader and Ambassador of the Free Land of Forlon
Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.82

"Did you know there is a million bucks hidden in the house next door?" "But there is no house next door." "No? Then let's go build one."

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, cause there's bugger all down here on earth."

"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd "

"We got the power now, motherfuckers, that's where it belongs"

Never Knows Best

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly