NATION

PASSWORD

(SUBMITTED) Defense of Life Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

When should elective abortion be legal? (excluding rape, incest, fetal defects, etc.)

Never
31%
1st trimester
11%
1st & 2nd trimesters
10%
Always
48%

Total votes : 291

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Founded: Oct 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:31 am

This has been going on for some time now and I believe it should be given up.Ambassador Harper's solution to the matter is much much better and less constrictive.Your own personal ideology has no place on the GA floor and no amount of rhetoric can convince me that this is any more than that.Just so you know I read the first post.
Last edited by The Associated Peoples on Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ambassador Elect of The Political Efficiency Accord Dr.Nigel Roosevelt author of GA Resolution #126Extinction Preparation Act
Economic Left/Right: -0.88 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.97
Warzone Codger wrote:Well this is surely an interesting voting spilt.

You've beaten all 5 Feeders, XKI, Region Inc, Capitalist Paradise, (and edit: Gatesville) (the latter 4 being user regions who have more endos than one feeder) ALL voting against.
Intellect and the Arts wrote:Have you ever considered that there exist perspectives other than your own and equally as valid, or do you claim infallible omniscience by virtue of the houseboat you lovingly inhabit on de Nial?
Memebr of the WASO

Meekinos
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Meekinos » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:12 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Refering to your proposal, is requiring nations to allow abortions in cases of maternal life, maternal health, rape, and fetal defects not dictating abortion law?

Virtually every WA resolution does that kind of thing, honoured ambassador. However, what is wrong now is you have gone into desperate measures in a vain attempt to keep this draft alive. The problem is that this draft is still tightly linked to your attempt to ban abortion after 24 weeks, to which many ambassadors have disagreed with, form my observation. You have even used RL examples as evidence rather than focusing on the actual implications of banning abortion.

Honoured ambassador, I regret to inform you that there is very little hope of saving this draft unless you really pay attention to the reality of banning abortion. For example: member states that believe that the concept for forced maternity is inappropriate, member states who promote family planning to improve welfare, and member states who face overpopulation issues and want to make abortion available to all for such reasons.

- Ms. S. Harper.

Once again, Ms. Harper hits the nail on the head with resonating success. She clearly understands the vast, unique needs of every member nation.

We do not need a bandaid solution or a one-size fits all. We need a solution that provides the most wiggling room. The proposal put forth by the delegate of Christian Democrats is repulsive and ill-thought out. It makes drastic assumptions and attempts to force its own brand of morality on the majority. They obviously aren't familiar with the radical idea that a spoon full of sugar helps the bitterest of medicine go down. Ms. Harper's delegation clearly is and her proposal (which isn't being debate directly here, though it has been mentioned in passing) does.
Ambassador Gavriil Floros
Meekinos' Official WA Ambassador
Deputy Treasurer, North Pleides Merchant's Syndicate
CEO & Financial Manager of Delta Energy Ltd.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Executive Senior Delegate
Educator
The Hellenic Republic of Meekinos
Factbook: Your Friendly Guide to Meekinos
The paranoid, isolationist, xenophobic capitalists.

Xanthal
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 16, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Xanthal » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:59 am

I must give credit to the authors of this resolution, as it is perhaps the most thoughtfully-worded, intelligently-aimed legislation ever to come to the floor of the WA on this matter. However, it is the position of the Xanthalian government that the required extension of sentient rights to any being should be based on its present level of sentience, not past sentience or expectations of future sentience. While the Federation certainly does not begrudge other nations the right to extend these protections further, and abortion laws indeed vary by state within the Federation itself, sentience- not viability- is the sole minimum standard by which my delegation is prepared to support internationally binding law on the subject of willful termination of life in the absence of extenuating factors.

I believe this resolution is on the right track, and for that I offer my affirmation of its sentiment. However, we should not judge our right to kill a being by its ability to survive, but its ability to think and feel on levels consistent with internationally accepted standards of sentience.
Technology Tier: 9
Arcane Level: 4
Influence Type: 8

Teshuva
Attaché

Founded: Nov 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Teshuva » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:05 pm

Teshuva fully approves this resolution and it's spirit. We hope to be able to vote for it as soon as possible.

Regards,

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:31 pm

Teshuva wrote:Teshuva fully approves this resolution and it's spirit. We hope to be able to vote for it as soon as possible.

Regards,

Honoured ambassador, deep down the resolution is trying to enforce a much more constrictive view on member states whereas in reality the policy on abortion varies greatly from member state to member state. Sadly apart from abortion in cases of rape et. al. We feel that there can never be a satisfactory one-size-fits all solution to abortion outside such reasons.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:03 pm

Xanthal wrote:I must give credit to the authors of this resolution, as it is perhaps the most thoughtfully-worded, intelligently-aimed legislation ever to come to the floor of the WA on this matter.

Thank you Delegate Xanthal.
Xanthal wrote:However, it is the position of the Xanthalian government that the required extension of sentient rights to any being should be based on its present level of sentience, not past sentience or expectations of future sentience. While the Federation certainly does not begrudge other nations the right to extend these protections further, and abortion laws indeed vary by state within the Federation itself, sentience- not viability- is the sole minimum standard by which my delegation is prepared to support internationally binding law on the subject of willful termination of life in the absence of extenuating factors.

I believe this resolution is on the right track, and for that I offer my affirmation of its sentiment. However, we should not judge our right to kill a being by its ability to survive, but its ability to think and feel on levels consistent with internationally accepted standards of sentience.

I strongly will consider your recommendation, and this ( ^ ) probably will be the standard that I'll use in my next draft rather than viability. In humans, viability occurs around 24 weeks. I need to do more research about fetuses' ability to think, but, in a cursory search, it appears that thought, as we know it, begins around week 30.
--------------------------------------
Thank you TCT for telegramming me about a typo that I made. Correction: in real life Spain, elective abortion is allowed during the first 14 weeks of pregnancy, not the first 12 weeks.
Does anyone have any reliable facts about when fetal thought begins?
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:08 pm

You can't honestly be thinking of re-re-re submitting this should it fail to reach quorum?
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:12 pm

Philimbesi wrote:You can't honestly be thinking of re-re-re submitting this should it fail to reach quorum?

This would be the first time that the proposal would fail to reach quorum.

The first two submissions had legality issues which now have been resolved.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:17 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Xanthal wrote:I must give credit to the authors of this resolution, as it is perhaps the most thoughtfully-worded, intelligently-aimed legislation ever to come to the floor of the WA on this matter.

Xanthal wrote:However, it is the position of the Xanthalian government that the required extension of sentient rights to any being should be based on its present level of sentience, not past sentience or expectations of future sentience. While the Federation certainly does not begrudge other nations the right to extend these protections further, and abortion laws indeed vary by state within the Federation itself, sentience- not viability- is the sole minimum standard by which my delegation is prepared to support internationally binding law on the subject of willful termination of life in the absence of extenuating factors.

I strongly will consider your recommendation, and this ( ^ ) probably will be the standard that I'll use in my next draft rather than viability. In humans, viability occurs around 24 weeks. I need to do more research about fetuses' ability to think, but, in a cursory search, it appears that thought, as we know it, begins around week 30.
Thank you TCT for telegramming me about a typo that I made. Correction: in real life Spain, elective abortion is allowed during the first 14 weeks of pregnancy, not the first 12 weeks.

I break my silence in post because I wish to make clear I told CD by TG that CD's entire post was filed with selective facts, twisted use of terms like "elective abortion," and plain falsehoods.

One example I gave of an error was Spain now allows abortion without any restrictions for the first 14 weeks of gestation. Spain also permits abortion at up to 22 weeks if two doctors certify that the pregnancy poses a serious threat to the woman’s life or health, as well as in cases of fetal impairment, and beyond 22 weeks in cases of severe fetal impairment. There are other loopholes in practice that make abortion widely available in Spain. Spain's newlaw is part of a wide and deep trend of liberalization of abortion law around the world.

Any implication that I agreed with or failed to strongly dispute any part of CD's prior post is incorrect. CD's entire campaign has been based on unsupported dogmatic beliefs, twisting of facts, and outright lies. This is unfortunate, as I believe such behavior beneath CD.
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:37 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:

I break my silence in post because I wish to make clear I told CD by TG that CD's entire post was filed with selective facts, twisted use of terms like "elective abortion," and plain falsehoods.

One example I gave of an error was Spain now allows abortion without any restrictions for the first 14 weeks of gestation. Spain also permits abortion at up to 22 weeks if two doctors certify that the pregnancy poses a serious threat to the woman’s life or health, as well as in cases of fetal impairment, and beyond 22 weeks in cases of severe fetal impairment. There are other loopholes in practice that make abortion widely available in Spain. Spain's newlaw is part of a wide and deep trend of liberalization of abortion law around the world.

Any implication that I agreed with or failed to strongly dispute any part of CD's prior post is incorrect. CD's entire campaign has been based on unsupported dogmatic beliefs, twisting of facts, and outright lies. This is unfortunate, as I believe such behavior beneath CD.

Hence, I used the phrase "elective abortion."

The life, health, etc. exceptions would be considered therapeutic abortions.

Because this proposal would limit only elective abortions, I found it necessary to cite real life limits related only to elective abortions.

For example, because I know you'll do the research, abortion on-demand is illegal in Israel, but there are a variety of circumstances under which abortion is allowed:
  • Life
  • Health
  • Younger than 17 years
  • Older than 40 years
  • Fetal defects
  • Rape, incest, etc.
  • Extramarital sex

I'm sorry if you feel my facts are misleading, but I was precise in using the term "elective."

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:40 pm

As this is still an active issue, and the fact remains that CD is trying to press his own version of "morals" upon the rest of the WA, we believe it is pertinent that we state that if CD feels it necessary to submit this again and again and again we shall continue to not approve it again and again and again, and will most likely participate in any campaign to inform those delegates who do not participate here what an utter sham this whole thing is..
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:46 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:CD is trying to press his own version of "morals" upon the rest of the WA

No I'm not.

If I were trying to press morality on the rest of the World Assembly . . .

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/para/2271.htm

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/para/2322.htm

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Intellect and the Arts
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intellect and the Arts » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:57 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:Does anyone have any reliable facts about when fetal thought begins?

Conscious brain waves are detectable sometime in the sixth month of pregnancy. I'll do some research on the exact week and send it to you via telegram if you would welcome the information.
Ambassadors: Arik S. Drake, and Alice M. Drake, twins

UNOG Member
Intellect and Art (NatSovOrg Member)
The Illustrious Renae
Ex-Parrot
Ennill
NERVUN wrote:By my powers combined, I am CAPTAIN MODERATION!

Xanthal
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 16, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Xanthal » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:41 pm

While the Federation is certainly wary of using the World Assembly to impose moral and ethical positions on the international community, it is unrealistic to expect international law to rest exclusively on objective reasoning. For better or worse, our sense of morality and ethics is embedded in and inextricable from our various policies. Indeed, a cursory browsing of past WA resolutions will quickly establish a deep moral/ethical vein in the acts of this body. It is common wisdom in the Federation and the policy of the Xanthalian delegation- as well as my own personal conviction- that we must thoroughly audit the rational basis of our reflexive emotional responses and remain receptive to outside viewpoints to avoid becoming dogmatic and dictatorial in our own moral certitude, but I do not believe the key to effective international administration is pure technocracy. The humanism of a compassionate and thoughtful ethical perspective is an essential part of a holistic approach to the World Assembly mission.
Technology Tier: 9
Arcane Level: 4
Influence Type: 8

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:14 pm

This has forty-five minutes before it expires. It needs twenty approvals to reach quorum. I ask that when this fails, you give up on it.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:45 pm

Intellect and the Arts wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Does anyone have any reliable facts about when fetal thought begins?

Conscious brain waves are detectable sometime in the sixth month of pregnancy. I'll do some research on the exact week and send it to you via telegram if you would welcome the information.

I would welcome the information. Thank you for offering. I also need to do some of my own research.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:15 am

This failed to reach quorum. Will you not simply accept that the WA does not want this?
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:58 am

Intellect and the Arts wrote:Conscious brain waves are detectable sometime in the sixth month of pregnancy. I'll do some research on the exact week and send it to you via telegram if you would welcome the information.

I would welcome the information. Thank you for offering. I also need to do some of my own research.

Foetal thought doesn't matter honoured ambassador. Any attempt to ban abortion of the slightest kind is still intrusive to member states who may be overpopulated. Honoured ambassador from Christian Democrats, it's all over now. Any attempt at a revision will make the resentment worse, I'm afraid.

- Ms. S. Harper.

Intellect and the Arts
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intellect and the Arts » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:47 am

Intellect and the Arts wrote:Conscious brain waves are detectable sometime in the sixth month of pregnancy. I'll do some research on the exact week and send it to you via telegram if you would welcome the information.

The information has been sent to your inbox, and you may feel free to disclose here anything stated in said telegram if you so desire.

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Foetal thought doesn't matter honoured ambassador. Any attempt to ban abortion of the slightest kind is still intrusive to member states who may be overpopulated. Honoured ambassador from Christian Democrats, it's all over now. Any attempt at a revision will make the resentment worse, I'm afraid.

- Ms. S. Harper.

It may indeed be fairly moot at this point, milady, but at the very least I find myself intrigued to find out exactly what he plans to do with the information once he has it at his disposal.
Ambassadors: Arik S. Drake, and Alice M. Drake, twins

UNOG Member
Intellect and Art (NatSovOrg Member)
The Illustrious Renae
Ex-Parrot
Ennill
NERVUN wrote:By my powers combined, I am CAPTAIN MODERATION!

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:54 am

It may indeed be fairly moot at this point, milady, but at the very least I find myself intrigued to find out exactly what he plans to do with the information once he has it at his disposal.

Nigel raised an eyebrow. " We did a similar experiment not too long ago by giving a primate a football... it was entertaining to say the least. "
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Just Guy
Envoy

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

(DRAFT) Defense of Life Act

Postby Just Guy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:08 am

CD, you'd be surprised how easy it is to get an abortion is Israel... Most of the laws you cited only apply de jure.
Elindra doing the Defenders' propaganda for the day:
Kshrlmnt wrote:
Glen-Rhodes wrote:Defenders are naturally disadvantaged in NationStates

One thing I like about raiding.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Just Guy wrote:CD, you'd be surprised how easy it is to get an abortion is Israel... Most of the laws you cited only apply de jure.

I know, which is why I posted this:
Christian Democrats wrote:For example, because I know you'll do the research, abortion on-demand is illegal in Israel, but there are a variety of circumstances under which abortion is allowed:
  • Life
  • Health
  • Younger than 17 years
  • Older than 40 years
  • Fetal defects
  • Rape, incest, etc.
  • Extramarital sex (i.e., sex that occurred outside of marriage, including adultery and fornication)

I'm sorry if you feel my facts are misleading, but I was precise in using the term "elective."

Basically, anyone who is not a married woman impregnated by her husband can procure an abortion in Israel yet abortion on-demand still is technically illegal as you pointed out.
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:21 pm

Honoured ambassador, I don't understand how the Israeli example has to do with the draft but this draft still goes against the idea of making the world a better place to live. It is still allowing member states to throw women in jail for obtaining abortion because of rape or life threatening situations.
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:42 pm

CD. This idea is dead. Let it go.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:43 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Honoured ambassador, I don't understand how the Israeli example has to do with the draft but this draft still goes against the idea of making the world a better place to live. It is still allowing member states to throw women in jail for obtaining abortion because of rape or life threatening situations.

Not to mention CD has a weird vendetta against abortion. You're NS's equivalent of those crazy people in the crisis pregnancy center on 12th and Delaware in Fort Pierce... GAWD
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly