NATION

PASSWORD

(SUBMITTED) Defense of Life Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

When should elective abortion be legal? (excluding rape, incest, fetal defects, etc.)

Never
31%
1st trimester
11%
1st & 2nd trimesters
10%
Always
48%

Total votes : 291

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:00 am

Ms. Harper observes that the strength is at too much for an issue such as abortion: is it possible to have it as mild instead?

Although the concerns with the strength must be said, she still opposes this draft as she does not consider abortion to be an international issue.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:12 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Ms. Harper observes that the strength is at too much for an issue such as abortion: is it possible to have it as mild instead?

Although the concerns with the strength must be said, she still opposes this draft as she does not consider abortion to be an international issue.

Strong

Proposals that affect a very broad area of policy and/or use very strong language and possibly detailed clauses to affect a policy area in a dramatic way.

Significant

Proposals that affect a fair-sized area of policy and/or use fairly strong language to affect a policy area.

Mild

Proposals that affect a very limited area of policy and/or use fairly mild language to affect only that policy area, or broader policy areas in a very minor way.

There are multiple reasons I believe "strong" is appropriate:

1) Very strong language is used.

2) The proposal is fairly detailed.

3) The implications of recognizing the personhood of late-term fetuses would have a sweeping affect on the policies of various nations; a large number of rights would be recognized for a certain group who currently doesn't have any recognized rights all at once; policy is affected "in a dramatic way."

In other words, this proposal, if enacted, would affect "a very broad area of policy" because of the massive number of rights that would be recognized.
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just Guy
Envoy

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Just Guy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:20 am

CD, it would probably be beneficial if you tried reaching a compromise on this, since this proposal in its current version would not be even close to passing.
Elindra doing the Defenders' propaganda for the day:
Kshrlmnt wrote:
Glen-Rhodes wrote:Defenders are naturally disadvantaged in NationStates

One thing I like about raiding.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:22 am

Just Guy wrote:CD, it would probably be beneficial if you tried reaching a compromise on this, since this proposal in its current version would not be even close to passing.

It all kind of depends on your vote; doesn't it?

Would the nations of 10000 Islands oppose my proposal?
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eireann Fae WA Mission
Envoy

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae WA Mission » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:36 am

Christian Democrats wrote:
Just Guy wrote:CD, it would probably be beneficial if you tried reaching a compromise on this, since this proposal in its current version would not be even close to passing.

It all kind of depends on your vote; doesn't it?

"The Nations of 10,000 Islands opposed the Read the Resolution Act. I wouldn't count on them for support."
"An it harm none, do what ye will"
“Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.” -C. S. Lewis
Click here for a list of existing resolutions!

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:47 am

Eireann Fae WA Mission wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:It all kind of depends on your vote; doesn't it?

"The Nations of 10,000 Islands opposed the Read the Resolution Act. I wouldn't count on them for support."

Aside: I oppose(d) the Read the Resolution Act. It does nothing, and there is absolutely no reason for it.

Eireann Fae WA Mission
Envoy

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae WA Mission » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:00 am

Aside: I oppose(d) the Read the Resolution Act. It does nothing, and there is absolutely no reason for it.

"Well, in any case, you will not know whether or not you have their support until a couple of days after the resolution comes up for vote. XKI has their own form of parliament, and vote on the issues internally after they come up for vote here. Delegate Guy has no advance knowledge of the will of the Region."
"An it harm none, do what ye will"
“Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.” -C. S. Lewis
Click here for a list of existing resolutions!

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:23 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Ms. Harper observes that the strength is at too much for an issue such as abortion: is it possible to have it as mild instead?

Strong

Proposals that affect a very broad area of policy and/or use very strong language and possibly detailed clauses to affect a policy area in a dramatic way.

Significant

Proposals that affect a fair-sized area of policy and/or use fairly strong language to affect a policy area.

Mild

Proposals that affect a very limited area of policy and/or use fairly mild language to affect only that policy area, or broader policy areas in a very minor way.

There are multiple reasons I believe "strong" is appropriate:

1) Very strong language is used.

2) The proposal is fairly detailed.

3) The implications of recognizing the personhood of late-term fetuses would have a sweeping affect on the policies of various nations; a large number of rights would be recognized for a certain group who currently doesn't have any recognized rights all at once; policy is affected "in a dramatic way."

In other words, this proposal, if enacted, would affect "a very broad area of policy" because of the massive number of rights that would be recognized.

Ms. Harper cannot see Abortion as a very broad issue in her opinion, therefore there is no way that this draft could be strong.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:23 am

Christian Democrats wrote:Aside: I oppose(d) the Read the Resolution Act. It does nothing, and there is absolutely no reason for it.

"Well, in any case, you will not know whether or not you have their support until a couple of days after the resolution comes up for vote. XKI has their own form of parliament, and vote on the issues internally after they come up for vote here. Delegate Guy has no advance knowledge of the will of the Region."

I thought Just Guy may know the region well enough to make a prediction.
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just Guy
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Just Guy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:29 am

I cannot guarantee I am correct, but I am fairly certain 10ki would oppose this resolution as it is currently worded.

Granting a fetus personhood is something to WA would not accept. Even if I voted for it, and I was the first voter, I still believe this would not pass.

A resolution limiting abortions during the third trimester would have a higher chance of passing.
Last edited by Just Guy on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kshrlmnt wrote:

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

PROPOSAL SUBMITTED

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:30 am

Proposal submitted.
Last edited by Dread Lady Nathicana on Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To remove hugetypeboldfont.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:33 am

Just Guy wrote:I cannot guarantee I am correct, but I am fairly certain 10ki would oppose this resolution as it is currently worded.

Granting a fetus personhood is something to WA would not accept. Even if I voted for it, and I was the first voter, I still believe this would not pass.

A resolution limiting abortions during the third trimester would have a higher chance of passing.

Because of the legal issues I ran into when I was drafting my last proposal, the Parental Consent Act, it seems as if the only legal way to approach abortion restrictions is to recognize personhood; otherwise, an abortion restriction supposedly violates patient's rights.
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:36 am

Just Guy wrote:I cannot guarantee I am correct, but I am fairly certain 10ki would oppose this resolution as it is currently worded.

Because of the legal issues I ran into when I was drafting my last proposal, the Parental Consent Act, it seems as if the only legal way to approach abortion restrictions is to recognize personhood; otherwise, an abortion restriction supposedly violates patient's rights.

OR! You could just not submit this tripe!
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Intellect and the Arts
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intellect and the Arts » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:42 am

Quintessence of Dust wrote:
Intellect and the Arts wrote:Actually, all a nation has to do is say "we're not technically human", and they can thereby opt out.
Well, no, the proposal is fairly specific. I can declare myself not technically a human but I remain a member of Homo sapiens [sapiens]

This is only true if you within your nation abide by the taxonomy that refers to the common human race as such. Yes, I'm playing that card.

Basically, all he had to do was not say "this resolution only applies to humans", because you can't have a clause saying only nations with green houses have to follow your rules. If it just happens that the stuff talked about isn't capable of applying to non-green houses, that's legal. You just can't come right out and admit it.
Firstly, you know that's false: he originally did talk about something that only applies to humans (human pregnancy), and got badgered into adding the language by others in this thread.

The kowtowing was his choice. I recall several arguments with people writing resolutions where they ignored certain obvious facts and refused to follow advice as presented. The fact that he didn't ignore that particular piece of rather forcibly presented advice does nothing to recuse him from responsibility for the results.

Secondly, you are adding a distinction that is not present in the proposal's language: applying to nations. He doesn't mention nations. Thus he doesn't 'have a clause saying only nations with green houses have to follow your rules' in the first place!

I didn't say he did have a clause that said "only to x type nations"; however, if a nation is entirely populated by a species other than the very specific "Homo sapiens" referenced in the proposal, you have a nation that doesn't have to comply. It's still a clause of optionality. It's the only clause in the entire proposal that could even be considered to be a clause of optionality, as well.

However, since this has been resubmitted, I suppose the point is relatively moot for the time being.
Ambassadors: Arik S. Drake, and Alice M. Drake, twins

UNOG Member
Intellect and Art (NatSovOrg Member)
The Illustrious Renae
Ex-Parrot
Ennill
NERVUN wrote:By my powers combined, I am CAPTAIN MODERATION!

Just Guy
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Just Guy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:44 am

Christian Democrats wrote:Because of the legal issues I ran into when I was drafting my last proposal, the Parental Consent Act, it seems as if the only legal way to approach abortion restrictions is to recognize personhood; otherwise, an abortion restriction supposedly violates patient's rights.

That's a shame. Still opposing.
Last edited by Just Guy on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kshrlmnt wrote:

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:45 am

Intellect and the Arts wrote:However, since this has been resubmitted, I suppose the point is relatively moot for the time being.

This is the first submission.
Last edited by Dread Lady Nathicana on Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To remove hugetypeboldfont.

Intellect and the Arts
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Intellect and the Arts » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:48 am

My bad. Not sure why my brain temporarily categorized this piece as a re-working of your previous abortion law proposal, but it did. >.<

UNOG Member
The Illustrious Renae
Ex-Parrot
Ennill

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:09 pm

FOR.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Intellect and the Arts
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Intellect and the Arts » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:21 pm

I was wrong. The point isn't moot. The final clause stating the proposal only applies to humans puts it in violation of CoCR provision 2)a. It unfairly discriminates against members of Homo sapiens by placing racially-based restrictions on access to a public service in nations where abortions are legalized in a less restrictive manner than the methods outlined herein. So, yes, that clause makes this proposal illegal, whether others agree with me on the concept of optionality or not.

UNOG Member
The Illustrious Renae
Ex-Parrot
Ennill

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:34 pm

Intellect and the Arts wrote:I was wrong. The point isn't moot. The final clause stating the proposal only applies to humans puts it in violation of CoCR provision 2)a. It unfairly discriminates against members of Homo sapiens by placing racially-based restrictions on access to a public service in nations where abortions are legalized in a less restrictive manner than the methods outlined herein. So, yes, that clause makes this proposal illegal, whether others agree with me on the concept of optionality or not.

Moderator Ardchoille, in this thread, recently made a ruling to the contrary.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:37 pm

Ardchoille wrote:precedent says that the GA may legislate on subsets of the international population

^ Relevant quote from the judicial opinion

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:48 pm

Intellect and the Arts wrote:I was wrong. The point isn't moot. The final clause stating the proposal only applies to humans puts it in violation of CoCR provision 2)a. It unfairly discriminates against members of Homo sapiens by placing racially-based restrictions on access to a public service in nations where abortions are legalized in a less restrictive manner than the methods outlined herein. So, yes, that clause makes this proposal illegal, whether others agree with me on the concept of optionality or not.

You've got to be kidding me. :roll:

Intellect and the Arts
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Intellect and the Arts » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:53 pm

Ardchoille wrote:precedent says that the GA may legislate on subsets of the international population

^ Relevant quote from the judicial opinion

What Ard was saying is that you don't have to make a proposal fit every nook and cranny of every possible species ever to be RP'd in NationStates. However, what CoCR states is that you cannot be racially discriminatory, meaning you can't flat out say 'only these types of people get to do this', even if you are effectively doing just that in an implicit fashion. It's the difference between removing audience members from the camera-visible rows of a studio audience because their appearance pulls focus and flat out stating "no blacks in the front row" when expecting a primarily Caucasoid attendance.

Bad metaphor, I know, but I'm not sure how better to explain it due to the difference being a little too obvious to me.

Glen-Rhodes wrote:

You've got to be kidding me. :roll:

No, I'm not kidding. There's no real reason for that clause to even exist. Without it, the proposal is perfectly legal and accomplishes the same thing it would if the clause were to remain. It's an unnecessary redundancy placed in the proposal to pacify illegitimate concerns that unfortunately accomplishes the opposite of what it desired to achieve.
Last edited by Intellect and the Arts on Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UNOG Member
The Illustrious Renae
Ex-Parrot
Ennill

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:11 pm

Intellect and the Arts wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:^ Relevant quote from the judicial opinion

What Ard was saying is that you don't have to make a proposal fit every nook and cranny of every possible species ever to be RP'd in NationStates. However, what CoCR states is that you cannot be racially discriminatory, meaning you can't flat out say 'only these types of people get to do this', even if you are effectively doing just that in an implicit fashion. It's the difference between removing audience members from the camera-visible rows of a studio audience because their appearance pulls focus and flat out stating "no blacks in the front row" when expecting a primarily Caucasoid attendance.

Bad metaphor, I know, but I'm not sure how better to explain it due to the difference being a little too obvious to me.

Glen-Rhodes wrote:You've got to be kidding me. :roll:

No, I'm not kidding. There's no real reason for that clause to even exist. Without it, the proposal is perfectly legal and accomplishes the same thing it would if the clause were to remain. It's an unnecessary redundancy placed in the proposal to pacify illegitimate concerns that unfortunately accomplishes the opposite of what it desired to achieve.

Homo sapiens isn't a race.

Different species, even similar ones, often have different gestation periods. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gestation_period)
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Intellect and the Arts
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Intellect and the Arts » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:19 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:Homo sapiens isn't a race.

That's arguable, depending on whether one wishes to use the real life or roleplay based definitions of the word (and for once it might be reasonable to use the latter, though that could be a stretch); however, it's still an "arbitrarily assigned and reductive categorisation which may be used for the purposes of discrimination", which is illegal for the same reason and under the exact same clause of CoCR.

UNOG Member
The Illustrious Renae
Ex-Parrot
Ennill

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly