NATION

PASSWORD

UN-QUEUED: Basic Literacy Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Belriel
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

UN-QUEUED: Basic Literacy Act

Postby Belriel » Sun May 17, 2009 10:36 pm

CATEGORY: Human Rights
STRENGTH: Significant

Basic Literacy Act

The World Assembly,

RECOGNIZING that self improvement is the right of every sentient being.
RECOGNIZING that education is a significant step in that self improvement.
RECOGNIZING that literacy, even at a basic level, can allow one to begin self education at an accelerating rate.
ACKNOWLEDGING that some cultures may have a long tradition of implicitly oral communication.
HEREBY
1. DEFINES basic literacy as the ability to both read and write competently in at least one written language.
2. DEFINES active denial as any action taken by a government, institution, organization, group, or individual that purposefully impedes an individual or group from claiming their rights.
3. RESOLVES that basic literacy is a personal right.
4. FORBIDS any law be it international, national, or local, that prevents a citizen this right to basic literacy.
5. FORBIDS any active denial of the aforementioned right.
6. CLARIFIES that a nation lacking the means and/or resources to provide the necessary literacy education is not inherently in violation of active denial, as long as no further actions are taken deny their citizens the right to basic literacy.

EDIT 1: Added part 5, forbidding active denial as well as its definition.
EDIT 2: Added part 6, clarifying active denial in regard to exclusively oral languages.
EDIT 3: Fixed numbers. Oops.
EDIT 4: Updated title from submitted to queued, added category and strength.
Last edited by Belriel on Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:31 am, edited 8 times in total.

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: Proposal: Basic Literacy Act

Postby Rutianas » Mon May 18, 2009 4:22 am

Belriel wrote:OOC:This is my first crack at resolution writing, and I'll be the first to admit that this one is not perfect yet. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on how I can make it better.

Basic Literacy Act

The World Assembly,

RECOGNIZING that literacy, even at a basic level, can allow one to begin self education at an accelerating rate.
ACKNOWLEDGING that some cultures may have a long tradition of implicitly oral communication.
HEREBY
1. DEFINES basic literacy as the ability to both read and write competently in at least one written language.
2. RESOLVES that basic literacy is a personal right.
3. FORBIDS any law be it international, national, or local, that prevents a citizen this right to basic literacy.

The Child Protection Act secures the right to a basic education. It could be assumed that most nations include basic literacy among that.

Liam Prittan, Ambassadorial Aide, Rutianas

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Mon May 18, 2009 4:46 am

Rutianas wrote:
Belriel wrote:OOC:This is my first crack at resolution writing, and I'll be the first to admit that this one is not perfect yet. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on how I can make it better.

Basic Literacy Act

The World Assembly,

HEREBY
3. FORBIDS any law be it international, national, or local, that prevents a citizen this right to basic literacy.

The Child Protection Act secures the right to a basic education. It could be assumed that most nations include basic literacy among that.

Liam Prittan, Ambassadorial Aide, Rutianas

Apparently not... :mrgreen:
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Absolvability
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Mon May 18, 2009 8:37 am

I would certainly assume that basic literacy is included. However, I will have to read over the Child Protection Act, because assumptions really have no place here.

Specifically, I appreciate the mention of nations that have implicitly oral communication. Unfortunately it begs the question, "What if they have no written language?" I'd like to know what the author proposes to do about this.
Antonius Veloci
Ambassador of The Event Horizon of Absolvability

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Mon May 18, 2009 8:43 am

Child Protection Act wrote:a) A child is entitled to be cared for, to be given sustenance, shelter, clothing, not to be deprived of education, to receive adequate medical care, and not to be physically or emotionally abused

This singular and vague reference to education is not enough to merit such assumptions, I believe. More like, it is saying that no children should be deprived of the education their nation provides citizens. It makes no mention of these provisions.
Antonius Veloci

Belriel
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Belriel » Mon May 18, 2009 11:02 am

If the culture has no written language, it does not mean that the individuals of that culture do not have the right to learn to read a written language. In this case, that language would obviously not be their own but probably a neighbor's or the World Assembly's common language.

I would like to clarify that this proposal is designed to make literacy a right, not a requirement or responsibility. It is simply something that no one should be denied.

In the case of the oral culture, should a citizen wish to become literate, he must be allowed to pursue his right. Should the citizen choose not to become literate, that is also acceptable. The Dominion of Belriel believes it is possible to maintain cultural independence while still respecting personal freedoms.

Absolvability wrote:
Child Protection Act wrote:a) A child is entitled to be cared for, to be given sustenance, shelter, clothing, not to be deprived of education, to receive adequate medical care, and not to be physically or emotionally abused

This singular and vague reference to education is not enough to merit such assumptions, I believe. More like, it is saying that no children should be deprived of the education their nation provides citizens. It makes no mention of these provisions.

I agree. The word education is not synonymous with literacy, but from one often comes the other. This proposal greatly differs from the Child Protection Act in that it does not draw its power from the generosity of national governments, but from the basic personal rights that belong to each sentient being from the moment he is born. This proposal ensures that each individual that yearns to become literate may do so, child or adult, and in doing so may begin to self educate and self improve, regardless of the state of the education system in the individual's nation.

Luc Juneque, Ambassador's Legal Assistant, The Dominion of Belriel

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Mon May 18, 2009 11:49 am

Belriel wrote:If the culture has no written language, it does not mean that the individuals of that culture do not have the right to learn to read a written language. In this case, that language would obviously not be their own but probably a neighbor's or the World Assembly's common language.

I would like to clarify that this proposal is designed to make literacy a right, not a requirement or responsibility. It is simply something that no one should be denied.

In the case of the oral culture, should a citizen wish to become literate, he must be allowed to pursue his right. Should the citizen choose not to become literate, that is also acceptable. The Dominion of Belriel believes it is possible to maintain cultural independence while still respecting personal freedoms.

Absolvability wrote:

I agree. The word education is not synonymous with literacy, but from one often comes the other. This proposal greatly differs from the Child Protection Act in that it does not draw its power from the generosity of national governments, but from the basic personal rights that belong to each sentient being from the moment he is born. This proposal ensures that each individual that yearns to become literate may do so, child or adult, and in doing so may begin to self educate and self improve, regardless of the state of the education system in the individual's nation.

Luc Juneque, Ambassador's Legal Assistant, The Dominion of Belriel

Paula Jenner rushes in and seats herself next to her aide, Liam. "What did I miss?" The tabby marked cat-like humanoid looked over as Paula sat next to him. The resulting conversation from that one question was hushed, though quickly over as Paula interrupts rather loudly, "You said what?"

Liam Prittan sinks down in his seat as Paula turns to address those discussing the proposal.

"My apologies for my aide. He's rather new to this and doesn't seem to comprehend that there is no assumptions where the law is concerned. Of course my Child Protection Act does not guarantee the right to literacy. Nor does it guarantee the right to mathematics, history, science, or whatever. It only states that a nation may not deprive the child of an education. I do grant that there may be nations that do not, for whatever reason, allow for literacy in their public schools, thus denying all citizens the right to literacy or whatever else there may be available. The Republic views literacy as a clear right of all sentient beings. We would, of course, be happy to support such a proposal." Paula shot an unhappy look at her aide, who slinked down even further in his chair and busied himself with his claws. She reached over and tugged one of his ears. Liam perked up a bit at the contact.

"In fact, we would be happy if the most noble and esteemed Ambassador from Belriel would consider the addition of adding basic literacy classes to the proposal. Perhaps it could read as this: '4. REQUIRES each member nation to offer classes in literacy. Should the member nation not have written language, these classes should consist of another language common through the WA.' Or something to this effect. It would satisfy the oral language only argument, and would require a way for literacy to be taught."

"Ms. Jenner? How would the government pay for these classes?" Liam tapped his claws on the table in front of him, leaving a small mark on the table.

"Don't mark up the table, Liam. There is no requirement that the government pay for these classes. They can easily set them up and ask for tuition if they want. The classes just have to be accessible. It wouldn't be a good idea to mention money in this, though. Not all nations have a monetary system." Paula shrugged a shoulder as she looked at Liam, then toward the Belriel delegation.

Belriel
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Belriel » Mon May 18, 2009 12:17 pm

Rutianas wrote:Paula Jenner rushes in and seats herself next to her aide, Liam. "What did I miss?" The tabby marked cat-like humanoid looked over as Paula sat next to him. The resulting conversation from that one question was hushed, though quickly over as Paula interrupts rather loudly, "You said what?"

Liam Prittan sinks down in his seat as Paula turns to address those discussing the proposal.

"My apologies for my aide. He's rather new to this and doesn't seem to comprehend that there is no assumptions where the law is concerned. Of course my Child Protection Act does not guarantee the right to literacy. Nor does it guarantee the right to mathematics, history, science, or whatever. It only states that a nation may not deprive the child of an education. I do grant that there may be nations that do not, for whatever reason, allow for literacy in their public schools, thus denying all citizens the right to literacy or whatever else there may be available. The Republic views literacy as a clear right of all sentient beings. We would, of course, be happy to support such a proposal." Paula shot an unhappy look at her aide, who slinked down even further in his chair and busied himself with his claws. She reached over and tugged one of his ears. Liam perked up a bit at the contact.

"In fact, we would be happy if the most noble and esteemed Ambassador from Belriel would consider the addition of adding basic literacy classes to the proposal. Perhaps it could read as this: '4. REQUIRES each member nation to offer classes in literacy. Should the member nation not have written language, these classes should consist of another language common through the WA.' Or something to this effect. It would satisfy the oral language only argument, and would require a way for literacy to be taught."

"Ms. Jenner? How would the government pay for these classes?" Liam tapped his claws on the table in front of him, leaving a small mark on the table.

"Don't mark up the table, Liam. There is no requirement that the government pay for these classes. They can easily set them up and ask for tuition if they want. The classes just have to be accessible. It wouldn't be a good idea to mention money in this, though. Not all nations have a monetary system." Paula shrugged a shoulder as she looked at Liam, then toward the Belriel delegation.

I thank you for your enthusiasm, ambassador of Rutianas.

As for the addition of a required literacy class, I am not comfortable that this fits with my nations view on international government. The Dominion of Belriel believes that government exists purely to protect the rights of the people, more so with the international government. In the area of education, for example, we find that it is the international government's job not to see that each individual is taught, but to make sure each individual has the protected right to learn.

While I do agree that every nation should have such programs in their curriculum, I do not believe it to be the place of the international government to force it upon them. Cost, being only but one reason, and while you suggest tuition--member nations could just as easily set rates high enough to defeat this resolution altogether.

This brings the idea to mind that what is needed is more language in the forbidden line that implies that it is not only law that is forbidden to prevent an individual from literacy, but also active denial.

Active denial defined as "any action made by a government, institution, organization, group, or individual that purposefully impedes an individual from claiming his rights."

Thoughts?

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Mon May 18, 2009 12:21 pm

Belriel wrote:I thank you for your enthusiasm, ambassador of Rutianas.

As for the addition of a required literacy class, I am not comfortable that this fits with my nations view on international government. The Dominion of Belriel believes that government exists purely to protect the rights of the people, more so with the international government. In the area of education, for example, we find that it is the international government's job not to see that each individual is taught, but to make sure each individual has the protected right to learn.

While I do agree that every nation should have such programs in their curriculum, I do not believe it to be the place of the international government to force it upon them. Cost, being only but one reason, and while you suggest tuition--member nations could just as easily set rates high enough to defeat this resolution altogether.

This brings the idea to mind that what is needed is more language in the forbidden line that implies that it is not only law that is forbidden to prevent an individual from literacy, but also active denial.

Active denial defined as "any action made by a government, institution, organization, group, or individual that purposefully impedes an individual from claiming his rights."

Thoughts?

We can certainly understand this view toward classes. The problem that arises with oral language only should be addressed in some way though. I do like the addition of a definition of active denial.

Paula Jenner, Rutianas Ambassador

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Mon May 18, 2009 12:24 pm

Proposal wrote:1. DEFINES basic literacy as the ability to both read and write competently in at least one written language.

Belriel wrote:I would like to clarify that this proposal is designed to make literacy a right, not a requirement or responsibility. It is simply something that no one should be denied.

So while you forbid a nation that has a written language to deny it to anyone, you affirm the right of people to opt out of it and make exception for those nations that do not have a written language? That is reasonable. I may've been guilty myself for making assumptions-- even still, for greater clarity, I wish your proposal expressed this point better.

Belriel wrote:In this case, that language would obviously not be their own but probably a neighbor's or the World Assembly's common language.

If the above is true, then this idea should totally be abandoned. For one thing, has legislation been passed yet to announce a WA common language?? For that matter, I don't think we should mandate knowledge of foreign languages at all, much less in the special circumstances of a nation that has no written language of their own.
Last edited by Absolvability on Mon May 18, 2009 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antonius Veloci

Belriel
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Belriel » Mon May 18, 2009 12:35 pm

Absolvability wrote:
Proposal wrote:1. DEFINES basic literacy as the ability to both read and write competently in at least one written language.

Belriel wrote:I would like to clarify that this proposal is designed to make literacy a right, not a requirement or responsibility. It is simply something that no one should be denied.

So while you forbid a nation that has a written language to deny it to anyone, you affirm the right of people to opt out of it and make exception for those nations that do not have a written language? That is reasonable. I may've been guilty myself for making assumptions-- even still, for greater clarity, I wish your proposal expressed this point better.

Belriel wrote:In this case, that language would obviously not be their own but probably a neighbor's or the World Assembly's common language.

If the above is true, then this idea should totally be abandoned. For one thing, has legislation been passed yet to announce a WA common language?? For that matter, I don't think we should mandate knowledge of foreign languages at all, much less in the special circumstances of a nation that has no written language of their own.

The spirit of this proposal to to provide a right to the individual, every individual. This means purely oral cultures or nations without a written language do not have an opt out, their citizens all have the right to learn to read and write. They do not, however, have the requirement--nor do any citizens in nations that have a written language.

Also, in no way does this proposal mandate any knowledge of foreign language, it simply acknowledges that if no written language exists in a nation, their citizens still have the right to learn a written language. Since it will not be their own, it follows that it will be another. Nothing is stopping them from creating a written language for their oral counterpart, but my example was a simple one.

As for referencing a WA common language, I suppose I misspoke, I would clarify that as a language common to the WA, not necessarily an established all-encompassing language, but one that would have a likely chance of allowing the individual access to further resources.

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Tue May 19, 2009 8:23 am

Thank you for clearing that up. I can go along with that, I think.
Belriel wrote:2. DEFINES active denial as any action taken by a government, institution, organization, group, or individual that purposefully impedes an individual or group from claiming their rights.

You'll want to change this clause to echo your previously described intentions, I think. As it stands, a nation with no written language (therefore having no teachers for such a subject,) would be guilty of active denial. To me, not having the means does not constitute ACTIVE denial.
Antonius Veloci

Belriel
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Belriel » Tue May 19, 2009 9:10 pm

Absolvability wrote:Thank you for clearing that up. I can go along with that, I think.
Belriel wrote:2. DEFINES active denial as any action taken by a government, institution, organization, group, or individual that purposefully impedes an individual or group from claiming their rights.

You'll want to change this clause to echo your previously described intentions, I think. As it stands, a nation with no written language (therefore having no teachers for such a subject,) would be guilty of active denial. To me, not having the means does not constitute ACTIVE denial.

I absolutely agree that not having the means is not the same as active denial. Because, though such a circumstance would certainly impede an individual's chances of becoming literate, it does not "purposefully impede the individual from claiming his right" because these resources could be found externally. However, the proposal was never intended to mandate the supply of teachers or books, but rather personal freedom. So, to clarify, if a nation does not have the resources to provide literacy education, again this is not active denial, as long as no move is made to impede its citizens from seeking out those resources.

The spirit behind forbidding active denial is to eliminate situations such as inequality by forced ignorance, among others.

The fact that this is being discussed decides the question of whether or not a clarifying statement is needed, but what exactly to clarify is harder to pin down.

It would be easy to place something like:

Basic Literacy Act: Section 6 wrote:6. CLARIFIES that the member nation is NOT in violation of active denial when:
a. The nation does not possess the means or resources to provide the required education, as long as no further actions are made to impede the right to basic literacy.
b. ...

But then specific situations not mentioned would be questionable, and the problem is back. Thoughts?

I would like to thank you, ambassador, for your continued interest and criticism in the proposal, as it will ultimately make the proposal better suited for acceptance, I am sure.

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Wed May 20, 2009 9:50 am

Belriel wrote:I would like to thank you, ambassador, for your continued interest and criticism in the proposal, as it will ultimately make the proposal better suited for acceptance, I am sure.

Criticism? Well, perhaps, but only constructively. I'm sure there are Ambassadors here who can attest to the way I criticize when I don't like something.

Belriel wrote:The fact that this is being discussed decides the question of whether or not a clarifying statement is needed, but what exactly to clarify is harder to pin down.

That is precisely the only thing I ever found to be 'incorrect' with this proposal. It is fine... your intentions are fine... but I was desirous for greater clarification.

Belriel wrote:a. The nation does not possess the means or resources to provide the required education, as long as no further actions are made to impede the right to basic literacy.

I like that. You could also consider the possibility of establishing a WA sanctioned organization/committee to provide assistance. Again, I believe you would need to clarify the fact that this is provided primarily for voluntary citizens, and that no nation need participate wholly if they do not so choose. Which would also bring clarity to the issue of whether or not citizens of a non-written-language-having nation need to learn foreign languages.
Antonius Veloci

Philimbesi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Wed May 20, 2009 9:58 am

Criticism? Well, perhaps, but only constructively. I'm sure there are Ambassadors here who can attest to the way I criticize when I don't like something.

The honored ambassador uses twice the words and makes half the sense. :lol: Kidding.

Ideological Bulwark #235

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Wed May 20, 2009 10:41 am

-Though quite sure that the voice he now heard was a familiar one, he was not so familiar with the Ambassador from Philimbesi's laughter, and had to swivel his head about his shoulders in order to satisfy his curiosity.-

By my calculations, that makes me 25% potent when in disagreement. I can live with that! -Enjoys a little laughter himself.-

I haven't yet been to the Strangers' Bar, but I might have to buy you a drink sometime, Ambassador. I didn't know you had jokes.
Antonius Veloci

Philimbesi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Wed May 20, 2009 11:07 am

Absolvability wrote:I haven't yet been to the Strangers' Bar, but I might have to buy you a drink sometime, Ambassador.

I've never been one to pass up free booze, you can buy me a Lagavulin anytime you'd like.

Ideological Bulwark #235

Belriel
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Belriel » Wed May 20, 2009 12:22 pm

I have added clause 6 to the proposal which reads:

Basic Literacy Act: Clause 6 wrote:6. CLARIFIES that a nation lacking the means and/or resources to provide the necessary literacy education is not inherently in violation of active denial, as long as no further actions are taken deny their citizens the right to basic literacy.
Last edited by Belriel on Wed May 20, 2009 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Belriel
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Belriel » Tue May 26, 2009 5:51 pm

Before I must go away again for an extended period, is this proposal ready for submission?

Osgarna
Envoy

Founded: Apr 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Osgarna » Tue May 26, 2009 6:04 pm

I like this. Osgarna will vote for it.

Belriel
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Re: SUBMITTED: Basic Literacy Act

Postby Belriel » Wed May 27, 2009 8:00 am

Having attained the necessary endorsements and received no additional complaints against this proposal, I have submitted the Basic Literacy Act as written to the World Assembly. I would graciously welcome all support toward the cause, as it is in the best interests of the personal rights of all.

Maerngau
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maerngau » Wed May 27, 2009 12:18 pm

We would be honored to support this measure with our vote.
Half Zandorff
Undersecretary for WA Relations
Grand Duchy of Maerngau
Factbook of the Grand Duchy of Maerngau

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:28 pm

The PRESIDING OFFICER: The Chair announces that the proposal "Basic Literacy Act" has reached quorum and is now in the queue to be voted upon by the full Assembly.

Ms. Zapfkoro of GOOBERGUNCHIA: Parliamentary inquiry. How is this proposal categorized?

The PRESIDING OFFICER: This proposal is categorized under "Human Rights", with strength "Significant".
(+5175 posts from mostly pre-Jolt)
Making NationStates a different place since 17 May 2003.
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Discord: Goobergunch#2417
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
Rules: GA SC
NS Game Moderator
For your forum moderation needs: The Moderation Forum
For your in-game moderation needs: The Getting Help Page
What are the rules? See the OSRS.
Who are the mods, anyway?

Belriel
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Re: QUEUED: Basic Literacy Act

Postby Belriel » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:05 pm

Goobergunchia wrote:
The PRESIDING OFFICER: The Chair announces that the proposal "Basic Literacy Act" has reached quorum and is now in the queue to be voted upon by the full Assembly.

Ms. Zapfkoro of GOOBERGUNCHIA: Parliamentary inquiry. How is this proposal categorized?

The PRESIDING OFFICER: This proposal is categorized under "Human Rights", with strength "Significant".

OOC: Updated first post and title.

Meekinos
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: QUEUED: Basic Literacy Act

Postby Meekinos » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:22 am

We shall lend our vote to this well thought out proposal. This should become a binding resolution.
Ambassador Gavriil Floros
Meekinos' Official WA Ambassador
Deputy Treasurer, North Pleides Merchant's Syndicate
CEO & Financial Manager of Delta Energy Ltd.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Executive Senior Delegate
Educator
The Hellenic Republic of Meekinos
Factbook: Your Friendly Guide to Meekinos
The paranoid, isolationist, xenophobic capitalists.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly