NATION

PASSWORD

Legal Protections for Visitors

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:46 pm

Eireann Fae WA Mission wrote:(OOC: To my knowledge, CoCR protects all inhabitants of member nations, not just citizens. This view is contested, though -.-)

Yes, I agree/understand. HOWEVER, does CoCR discuss/deal with punishments for crimes?

It's not a complete catch-all for any and all civil rights one can think of. The rights, I believe, are specifically listed in the resolution text. *grumbles* And now I should probably go look at that, but my intern's already left for the day. I'll have to have him look into that matter further, tomorrow.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:43 am

Eireann Fae WA Mission wrote:(OOC: To my knowledge, CoCR protects all inhabitants of member nations, not just citizens. This view is contested, though -.-)

OOC: Problem with that argument is, the CoCR doesn't define "inhabitants" so that whether that term covers even long-term visitors -- let alone short-term ones -- is left to the separate nations' own opinions...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:38 am

Mousebumples wrote:
Quelesh wrote:Wouldn't that already be illegal under CoCR?

I haven't read through the text, specifically, but I don't recall any clauses regarding allowing (or disallowing) for differing treatment of individuals based on citizenship. I expect such a thing was left out since insisting on "equality for citizens and non-citizens" could arguably be a method to outlaw deportation of illegal immigrants ....

Here's the relevant clause from CoCR:

c ) All inhabitants of member states have the right not to be and indeed must not be discriminated against on grounds including sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, sexual orientation or sexual identity, or any other arbitrarily assigned and reductive categorisation which may be used for the purposes of discrimination, except for compelling practical purposes, such as hiring only female staff to work with battered women who have sought refuge from their abusers.

I don't think this necessarily prohibits deportation of illegal immigrants, but I would say it does prohibit disparate sentences for citizens and non-citizens for the same crime.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Previous

Return to General Assembly