NATION

PASSWORD

Question about GA Resolution #23

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Concordeia
Senator

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Question about GA Resolution #23

Postby Concordeia » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:01 pm

Question: Does GA Resolution #23 apply to humans only or can it apply to other sentient species as well?
Funny Quotes:
Falkasia wrote:
Concordeia wrote:Dammit, and I got accused of tech-wanking for using megawatt-scale free electron laser CIWS on my (nuclear powered) vessels to block missile spam! And I'm freakin early PMT! :mad: :(

I gotta say it. First time I read through this, I could have sworn it said something like this:
Dammit, and I got accused of tech-wanking for using megawatt-scale free electron laser CIWS on my (nuclear powered) vessels to block spam missiles!

I was like, "Who the hell are you fighting... or more importantly, was your lunch meat laced?"

Grossrheinland Reich wrote:
CTALNH wrote:3 words: S&M and BSDM

Let it be known that God hates you.
OOC: so fkn hawt

Take the World Census 2011 at http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83868

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:06 pm

All sentient species. We would recommend you do not attempt to traffic in non-human slaves. Your nation may not survive the consequences.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Concordeia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Concordeia » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:12 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:All sentient species. We would recommend you do not attempt to traffic in non-human slaves. Your nation may not survive the consequences.

Oh good heavens, we would never do anything like that. I was asking because there is a WA nation called Phonencia which is currently running a slave trade involving Twileks, Unggoy, and Lycanthropes. Apparently he believes it is alright to trade these beings as slaves because of the seemingly human-centric launguage of GA Resolution #23.

I would recommend that the language be modified to ensure that all sentient beings are granted protection against slavery and are considered persons under the law.
Funny Quotes:
Falkasia wrote:
Concordeia wrote:Dammit, and I got accused of tech-wanking for using megawatt-scale free electron laser CIWS on my (nuclear powered) vessels to block missile spam! And I'm freakin early PMT! :mad: :(

I gotta say it. First time I read through this, I could have sworn it said something like this:
Dammit, and I got accused of tech-wanking for using megawatt-scale free electron laser CIWS on my (nuclear powered) vessels to block spam missiles!

I was like, "Who the hell are you fighting... or more importantly, was your lunch meat laced?"

Take the World Census 2011 at http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83868

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:19 pm

Concordeia wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:All sentient species. We would recommend you do not attempt to traffic in non-human slaves. Your nation may not survive the consequences.

Oh good heavens, we would never do anything like that. I was asking because there is a WA nation called Phonencia which is currently running a slave trade involving Twileks, Unggoy, and Lycanthropes. Apparently he believes it is alright to trade these beings as slaves because of the seemingly human-centric launguage of GA Resolution #23.

I would recommend that the language be modified to ensure that all sentient beings are granted protection against slavery and are considered persons under the law.

If one takes into account Article 1b of resolution #35 it doesn't appear to me that any changes will be needed.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Concordeia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Concordeia » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:26 pm

Flibbleites wrote:
Concordeia wrote:

If one takes into account Article 1b of resolution #35 it doesn't appear to me that any changes will be needed.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Thank you for your input on this matter. I greatly appreciate it.
Funny Quotes:
Falkasia wrote:

Eireann Fae WA Mission
Envoy

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae WA Mission » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:31 pm

(OOC: This is why I try to get wording changed to "sapient" or "sentient" instead of "human" whenever possible :-)
Last edited by Eireann Fae WA Mission on Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"An it harm none, do what ye will"
“Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.” -C. S. Lewis
Click here for a list of existing resolutions!

Return to General Assembly