NATION

PASSWORD

Support for a minimum Miles per Gallon

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Vicery
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Support for a minimum Miles per Gallon

Postby Vicery » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:05 pm

The State of Vicery in light of a growing dependency on fossil fuels and the large impact that the burning of fossil fuels has on our environment puts forth the proposal that all automobiles must have a minimum miles per gallon of 35 MPG.
By doing this we will help create a more environmentally friendly automobile industry. Furthermore, by passing this proposal we will be taking the first step in decreasing the worlds dependency on oil and other fossil fuels. By ratifying this proposal, we would also see a decrease in air pollution, smog, and co2 output.

Tarnell
Spokesperson

Founded: May 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarnell » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:24 pm

The nation of Tarnell is willing to back this concept. Although, I think that the acutal MPG could be even higher, but could be debated. Let me know if you would like any help developing this proposal.

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:34 pm

I'm sorry, but what is MPG and what are fossil fuels?

Paula Jenner, Rutianas and Swarming Cute Kittens Ambassador

(OOC: I actually know full well what they are. The point here is that not all nations have the same measurements and some don't even use fossil fuels or need to, for that matter. Taking it further, not all nations have problems with air pollution and smog. Even further yet, not all nations have automobiles.)

Tarnell
Spokesperson

Founded: May 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarnell » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:37 pm

Rutianas wrote:I'm sorry, but what is MPG and what are fossil fuels?

(OOC: I actually know full well what they are. The point here is that not all nations have the same measurements and some don't even use fossil fuels or need to, for that matter. Taking it further, not all nations have problems with air pollution and smog. Even further yet, not all nations have automobiles.)

I fully understand this. But I think that the proposal draft could be written to accomodate all nations. Require specific enviormental regulations in the hopes of bettering the nviorment of the world. Most nations and regions are part of the same world. If there is a poor enviorment in one region, the other regions of the world are impacted as well.

Eireann Fae WA Mission
Envoy

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae WA Mission » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Rutianas wrote:(OOC: I actually know full well what they are. The point here is that not all nations have the same measurements and some don't even use fossil fuels or need to, for that matter. Taking it further, not all nations have problems with air pollution and smog. Even further yet, not all nations have automobiles.)

(OOC: All the underlined applies to Eireann Fae ☺ I'm too lazy to refute this in-character, but seriously. No, guys. Just no.)
"An it harm none, do what ye will"
“Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.” -C. S. Lewis
Click here for a list of existing resolutions!

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:47 pm

Tarnell wrote:I fully understand this. But I think that the proposal draft could be written to accomodate all nations. Require specific enviormental regulations in the hopes of bettering the nviorment of the world. Most nations and regions are part of the same world. If there is a poor enviorment in one region, the other regions of the world are impacted as well.

Not all nations are on the same world. So, that said, a poor environment on your world does not affect any one of the planets that make up the Imperial Republic of Rutianas. I ask you, how would this affect someone who doesn't have any of these issues? It won't. So why bother nations who do not have these problems and are unlikely to have them?

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:52 pm

Vicery wrote:The State of Vicery in light of a growing dependency on fossil fuels and the large impact that the burning of fossil fuels has on our environment puts forth the proposal that all automobiles must have a minimum miles per gallon of 35 MPG.
By doing this we will help create a more environmentally friendly automobile industry. Furthermore, by passing this proposal we will be taking the first step in decreasing the worlds dependency on oil and other fossil fuels. By ratifying this proposal, we would also see a decrease in air pollution, smog, and co2 output.

Not all member states may be running out of fossil fuels. In some member states the fuel may be measure in terms of how much battery life it has left perhaps because it uses electricity. But this provides me of an idea about efficient vehicles for better reliability, yet not all member states may even allow cars on the roads.

Darenjo
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:29 pm

The WA is really getting into micro-managing these days, isn't it...

Anyways, even though we like the proposal, we cannot support due to the fact that it would potentially permenentaly hamper the ability of nations to advance into the modern era.
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Proud Member of Eastern Islands of Dharma!

Vicery
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vicery » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:47 pm

These are the proposed sections.

Section 1: All Nations hereby agree to regulate the Automobile industry and enforce the articles of the proposal.

Section 2: Within five years all owned cars will have a minimum MPG of 35.

Section 3: Governments will put in place a "cash for clunkers program" that will allow people to exchange automobiles that do not meet the minimum MPG for ones that meet the regulations set.

The fact is fuel efficiency is the way of the future and this proposal ensures that no nation gets left behind. If anything it not only benefits the world but the nations that make it up

Gilnas
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Gilnas » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:50 pm

We here in Gilnas use the measure of Quantloos per Hogsheads, I have no idea what this MPG nonsense is.
wat?

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:20 pm

Automobiles are not used within the borders of the Doctoral Monkey Feet of Mousebumples. We are a largely bike-friendly nation with a fuel-efficient public transport system. We're a very urban nation - after all, we do have almost 16 billion citizens!
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:04 am

As much as I hate proposals that contain glossarys, you do kind of need to state at some point what MPG stands for.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:51 am

We have a general dislike for "Tree-Hugger Proposals", and this certainly appears to fit that category. So, we shall not support this.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Embolalia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:01 pm

I completely disagree with the mere concept. But at the very least, you should wait a while, at least until people have forgotten about the complete travesty of a proposal that is currently at vote. I'd say a year or two will cut it.
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Bible quote? No, that's just common sense.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/
The United Commonwealth of Embolalia

Gafin Gower, Prime minister
E. Rory Hywel, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Gwaredd LLwyd, Lieutenant Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author: GA#95, GA#107, GA#132, GA#185
Philimbesi wrote:Repeal, resign, or relax.

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
Liberal atheist bisexual, and proud of it.
@marcmack wrote:I believe we can build a better world! Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water & dirt. Also, not sure where to put it."

-Bederich-
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby -Bederich- » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:16 am

Companies do not make high mpg cars because they have to, but because people want to buy them. In my opinion this proposed resolution is terrible, and will never pass.

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:24 am

The environment of the United States of Philimbesi is just as we like it. Thanks.
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Hamless
Secretary

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hamless » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:44 pm

We have a limited supply of cars but is it not true that the problem is more the case of the type of fuel used and ineffective exhaust systems.
The MPG issuse is surely more to do with the dimminsing reserves and the ethitical effects of supply and gobal environmental implications than the air quality and local environment. Hamless is willing to support this resoultion but would like to amend it to focus on the golbal rather than the local environment.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:45 pm

We define "MPG" as "Massive Petrol Gluttony", therefore all our vehicles qualify regardless of how inefficient they may be.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Palentine » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:35 am

No...just no.
Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:34 pm

Darenjo wrote:The WA is really getting into micro-managing these days, isn't it...

Anyways, even though we like the proposal, we cannot support due to the fact that it would potentially permenentaly hamper the ability of nations to advance into the modern era.

This
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Eireann Fae WA Mission
Envoy

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae WA Mission » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:00 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Darenjo wrote:The WA is really getting into micro-managing these days, isn't it...

This

(OOC: Please don't dig graves. Especially not draft threads for resolutions that you don't even support.)
"An it harm none, do what ye will"
“Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.” -C. S. Lewis
Click here for a list of existing resolutions!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly