NATION

PASSWORD

The International Currency UPDATED

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Eriscia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

The International Currency UPDATED

Postby Eriscia » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:04 am

This is the first proposal I've submitted, and I'd appreciate any help that could be given. Especially for the title since I can't think of one.

The Nations of the World Assembly,

SEEING as poverty and inflation are on the rise in many countries,

SEEING as the world is becoming less and less united,

BELIEVING that the world must, eventually, become a globalized society in order to sustain itself,

SEEING that certain Nations of the World Assembly do not hold a currency, making it hard or impossible for them to trade with countries that rely on currency as a type of good,

1.) CALLS on the Nations of the World Assembly that use any type of currency for trade to adopt an international currency (the Worldo) used only during international trade (i.e. trade between two nations).

2.) CALLS on the Nations of the World Assembly that do not use a type of currency to adopt the Worldo for International Trade with nations that use currency as a type of good only. They may continue to rely on bartering/etc. with other bartering nations and in their own nation.

3.) CALLS on the Nations of the World Assembly to form a committee that would supervise the minting/distributing/exchange rate of the Worldo.

There, I've struck out free trade from the agreement.
I've added a few changes that address a few questions brought up. Once again, any help or opinions are much appreciated.
Last edited by Eriscia on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Absolvability
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: The International Currency/Free Trade Agreement

Postby Absolvability » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:49 am

Eriscia wrote:Any and all Nations of the World Assembled who do not change their currency within 14 days and/or continues to place import/export taxes on their goods traded with other Nations of the World Assembled will be sanctioned followed by expulsion from the World Assembled.

We do not have the power to eject anybody from the World Assembly. However, you'll be happy to know that compliance is mandatory thanks to some very talented gnomes and if this proposal were to find its way into passing such measures wouldn't be necessary anyway. You'll need to eliminate this clause from the text or it will be illegal.

Eriscia wrote:2.) CALLS on the Nations of the World Assembled to allow free trade between all Nations of the World Assembled without import/export taxes.

While I don't know much about macro-economics, and often form my opinions by the intelligent comments left by other Delegations, it comes to my immediate mind that taxing of imported goods serves a very reasonable purpose. Shipping things from overseas is not free, and therefore the prices need to be adjusted accordingly or many parties involved stand to lose money.

Eriscia wrote:1.) CALLS on the Nations of the World Assembled to get rid of their current currency and change it to a WA accepted currency (such as: the dollar, the euro, the dineri, etc.)

Other than the fact that hardly anyone is going to go along with this... you need to consider the fact that many nations in the World Assembly have no currency as we know it. They may operate by bartering... or, perhaps, each citizen is self-sustaining.

OOC: Also, you should make up your own form of international currency if you insist on going down this path. I must say it's an interesting idea... and I'm semi-for it, if the proposal develops as it must. While I'm sure that plenty of nations in NS use the dollar, euro, or dineri, the fact that all three are more commonly known as Real World currency may also make this proposal illegal. It would be best to abstain from making any mentionings.
Antonius Veloci
Ambassador of The Event Horizon of Absolvability

Warner Channel
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: The International Currency/Free Trade Agreement Updated

Postby Warner Channel » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:36 pm

I'm not a WA member, and I already know that this is an epic FAIL, señor...

http://www.australiangamer.com/images/s ... c-fail.jpg
ESTADOS DE LA INCORPORADAS WARNER CHANNEL
"Cancun piedras"

CEO Axel Lopez

Tú sabes que me amas.

Ayudar a los Combatientes por la Libertad en la guerra civil Sorgan
Fundador de Cancun
Miembros del CAG
Embajada en el Master M

Far-Tortuga
Attaché

Founded: May 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Far-Tortuga » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:45 pm

Warner Channel wrote:I'm not a WA member, and I already know that this is an epic FAIL, señor...

http://www.australiangamer.com/images/s ... c-fail.jpg

Not as much as your post.

Eriscia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Eriscia » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:12 pm

Thanks for your support, Far Tortuga. I know it's a failure, that's why I'm asking for help. I appreciate CONSTRUCTIVE critiscm.

Absolvability
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:27 pm

Well, whatever happens, don't take it personally. I know when I first started trying to legislate I ran into some serious troubles. You seem to be running into troubles as well... and you'll have to appreciate the fact that people who have been here offering constructive criticism for years have lost a bit of their patience.

The first step is to make it legal. Then we can discuss the rest. To be honest though, while it may be a good idea, you should perhaps choose a less controversial topic for your first proposal. Mandating a universal currency is biting off more than you can chew. That isn't meant as an insult either... because I can't think of anyone else that would successfully chew it either.
Antonius Veloci
Ambassador of The Event Horizon of Absolvability

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:51 pm

having one unified currency may not be a good idea, considering the economic diversity of the WA, unless a return to a single metals-based standard is reinstituted, such as gold, silver, platinum.. something along those lines. Without that, runaway inflation in even a small percentage of WA nations could seriously damage the unified currency.

I would leave out the part of unified currencies and concentrate on economics and trade.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Far-Tortuga
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Far-Tortuga » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:53 pm

Our apologies; our ire is directed wholly at the Warner Channel delegation.

With regards to your proposal itself, I find it to be a fine first draft. But it is still a draft, and will quite a bit of work to make it acceptable, we think.

First off, we're not sure if what you are proposing (an international currency to be adopted by all WA nations), is itself actually legal. As we understand it, the General Assembly's authority is restricted to passing laws which are then applied to every WA member-state; the General Assembly cannot mandate a country to change its name, title, national animal, et cetera. At first glance, a nation's currency would seem to fall into a similar category as the latter examples, as it is set by the Nationstate without any outside influence. The World Assembly mandating that a nation change its currency may be tantamount to mandating that it change its national animal. Ergo, illegal.

I cannot profess any great knowledge of economics myself, but a sort of compromise did occur to me. What if, instead of mandating the currency a nation uses and infringing on its national sovereignty, the proposal instead set up an independent WA Standard Currency, to which all WA member-state's currencies are pegged? That way, members will still be able to control the design of their currency, but they will be readily interchangeable across borders. We humbly propose "Worldo" as the name for this currency, but that is only a suggestion.

On the subject of free trade, we feel that it may be best to strike that clause from the proposal entirely. Free trade is a very touchy subject, and could probably warrant a resolution of its own accord. Personally we are rather against it, as we feel that it simply allows larger states to overwhelm and subdue the native economies of smaller nations.

With regards to this clause,

SEEING that certain Nations of the World Assembled do not hold a currency, making it hard or impossible for them to trade with countries that rely on currency as a type of good,

We feel it may come across as a bit... preachy. Far be it for us to fathom the motivations of those nations whose citizenry do not love the clink of coins, but we do recognize that there are those who just do not want to be rich. We feel it is wrong to force them to abandon their quaint little lifestyles in order to participate in the international economic arena. Indeed, if they were so forced we suspect they would not be able to compete very effectively at all anyway, having no experience and presumably no capacity to create a surplus of goods for trade.

And as a final, minor, point, we would like to point out that Assembly is spelled with a Y, not an I on the end: "(The Assembli)."

Far-Tortuga
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Far-Tortuga » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:58 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:having one unified currency may not be a good idea. . .
. . .
I would leave out the part of unified currencies and concentrate on economics and trade.

The Far Tortugan delegation disagrees with this sentiment entirely. We find the notion of a unified World Assembly currency to be the most interesting part of this resolution. Yes, there are some dangers inherent in the system, and the system itself will require more fleshing out before it is worth considering for a vote, but we would be much more interested in seeing that develop than a rather dry proposal concerning trade laws.

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:12 pm

Eriscia wrote:
SEEING as poverty and inflation are on the rise in many countries,

Okay, I can see that. Just wait for it....

SEEING as the world is becoming less and less united,

BELIEVING that the world must, eventually, become a globalized society in order to sustain itself,

SEEING that certain Nations of the World Assembled do not hold a currency, making it hard or impossible for them to trade with countries that rely on currency as a type of good,

Well, we're one of those 'certain' nations of the World Assembly, but not the World Assembled.

1.) CALLS on the Nations of the World Assembled to change all current currency to a WA accepted currency (The Assembli).

Why?

2.) CALLS on the Nations of the World Assembled to allow free trade between all Nations of the World Assembled without import taxes.

Again, World Assembled? Good thing this is the World Assembly. No import taxes? The Imperial Republic doesn't have those, fortunately. We don't have a monetary system.

3.) CALLS on the Nations of the World Assembled that do not have a currency and rely on bartering for their livleyhood to adopt the WA accepted currency in order to form a better bond with other Nations of the World Assembled.

No. We refuse to go back to a monetary system.

Remember my first comment? Here's what you were waiting for. Monetary systems cause poverty. If you want to eliminate poverty, a single currency won't do it. Get rid of monetary systems. We have no monetary system. We do not have poverty in the Imperial Republic. Why would we even want to go back to a system that allows for corruption, greed, and poverty. No money. No poverty. No money. No inflation. Problem solved.

Paula Jenner, Rutianas Ambassador

Sirocco
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Re: The International Currency UPDATED

Postby Sirocco » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:00 pm

Resolutions can't do anything that changes or attempts to change the customisable fields of members - like the national currency. This proposal would get deleted if it ever hit the floor, I'm afraid.

Morlago
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Morlago » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:15 am

I'm sure this proposal is the best you can think of, but you need to ask yourself, why? Why should there be a unified monetary system? Even the real world doesn't have a global monetary system. The closest you can find is the EU, and that is only a group of 27 nations and not all of them uses the Euro.
Angelo Gervoski
Minister of WA Affairs of
The United Islands of Morlago
Yë Morre Waidamün i Mórlago

DEFCON: 1 2 (Low) 3 4 5 6

Economic Left/Right: -1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33
Graph
Center-left social moderate.
Left: 2.2, Libertarian: 0.75
Foreign Policy: -6.11 (Non-interventionalist)
Culture: -6.31 (Cultural liberal)

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:39 pm

Far-Tortuga wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:having one unified currency may not be a good idea. . .
. . .

The Far Tortugan delegation disagrees with this sentiment entirely. We find the notion of a unified World Assembly currency to be the most interesting part of this resolution. Yes, there are some dangers inherent in the system, and the system itself will require more fleshing out before it is worth considering for a vote, but we would be much more interested in seeing that develop than a rather dry proposal concerning trade laws.

a unified WA currency is a non-starter. Unless it is your goal to have probably 2/3rds of the current WA membership kicked out for non-compliance as the proposal says will happen.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:15 pm

"I apologize for my blutness but I must say that the World Assembly shouldn't be allowed to, by legislation, force member nations to use one specific currency. If this legislation does get passed, the Shazabotdom Empire will not hesitate to resign from the World Assembly and condemn this course of action as undeniably attempting to create a One World Government and we will fight it to the best of our ability."
~~Mr. Brodrick A. Patterson
Undersecretary to the WA Deligate
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR (114) 0 - 0 WSH (91) | COL (105) 0 - 0 WPG (110) | VGK (96) 0 - 0 DAL (113)
NBA: Pelicans (6) 49-33 || NCAA MBB: Tulane 20-16 | LSU 22-15 || NCAA WSB: LSU 33-8

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:37 am

Regrettably, introducing an international currency is illegal at the World Assembly, honoured ambassador. Practically a single currency of the world is going to be met with huge opposition: the currency is a major symbol of national sovereignty.

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:15 pm

And once again, we don't have a currency. We use the barter system. Why should we be forced to have a currency? It will only lead to greed and corruption being introduced into our society. We refuse to allow any such thing.

Paula Jenner, Rutianas Ambassador

Letzen
Envoy

Founded: Jul 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Letzen » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:56 pm

As does Letzen, Corruption is the only thing that will increase after such a proposal, wealth and prosperity would go down, unemployment would go up
Wars:
Letzen Civil War:victory
Turgov Civil War: Stale-mate
Letzens Protectorate: Turgov Letzen, a joint Tugov-Letzen colony
More info: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13867

Warner Channel
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Warner Channel » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:12 am

Eriscia wrote:Thanks for your support, Far Tortuga. I know it's a failure, that's why I'm asking for help. I appreciate CONSTRUCTIVE critiscm.

OK. How about, "The world will never adhere to a single currency, thus the proposal sucks?" There really is NOTHING constructive we can say here.
ESTADOS DE LA INCORPORADAS WARNER CHANNEL
"Cancun piedras"

CEO Axel Lopez

Tú sabes que me amas.

Ayudar a los Combatientes por la Libertad en la guerra civil Sorgan
Fundador de Cancun
Miembros del CAG
Embajada en el Master M

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 29, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:56 am

The whole thing is a bad idea, set an international currency will be a disaster. The only thing we can get as "good" is to create an international accepted way to estabilish the value of money types over the world. Something who have the same nominal and effective value, so country who doesn't use money can calculate their economic power too.
OVERLORD Daniel Mercury of Firstaria
Original Author of SC #5 and SC #30

the Imperial Crown
Envoy

Founded: Apr 17, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby the Imperial Crown » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:26 pm

One would think that the economical benefits that the nations could benefit from would outweigh the cons of a universal currency.

However, one question I do have is the following - The economy of each nation is different, and dependent on different factors; such as, some nations have a seasonal, others have a more secondary sector of employment [manufacturing], whereas others are still based on primary.

How would this affect the economies of these individual nations in comparison to in some cases, their richer or poorer neighbours?
- Lord Ravenclaw -
10th Pharaoh and World Assembly Delegate
First Pharaoh of House Ravenclaw
= The Desert Star of Osiris =
5th April 2012 - 29th May 2014

Morlago
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Morlago » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:58 am

Is this even legal? I thought that this violates game mechanics. Please, before you write a draft, familiarise yourself with the rules.

Types Of Violations

* Game Mechanics

Game Mechanics violations are attempts to change how the WA works. Generally, these are Proposals that should be threads in Technical. Anything that requires and adjustment to how the game does things, or requires a change of code falls into this category. Requiring "proper" spelling, adjusting the number of votes needed for queue, creating a universal WA currency, and forming a "secondary WA" are all examples of this. Another example of this is forbidding WA action at a future point in time -- you can't make your Resolution "Repeal-proof" or prohibit types of legislation.
Angelo Gervoski
Minister of WA Affairs of
The United Islands of Morlago
Yë Morre Waidamün i Mórlago

DEFCON: 1 2 (Low) 3 4 5 6

Economic Left/Right: -1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33
Graph
Center-left social moderate.
Left: 2.2, Libertarian: 0.75
Foreign Policy: -6.11 (Non-interventionalist)
Culture: -6.31 (Cultural liberal)

Jakra
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakra » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:05 am

Warner Channel wrote:
Eriscia wrote:Thanks for your support, Far Tortuga. I know it's a failure, that's why I'm asking for help. I appreciate CONSTRUCTIVE critiscm.

OK. How about, "The world will never adhere to a single currency, thus the proposal sucks?" There really is NOTHING constructive we can say here.

Then why do you keep posting and wasting thread space?
Current DEFCON Level: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
Jakran Factbook: NSEconomy: Jakran Military Factbook (WIP)
In Memoriam of President:John Henry Eden

Asiatic Economic Zone
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Asiatic Economic Zone » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:24 pm

The Asiatic Economic Zone agrees with Grays Harbor on the danger of establishing a mandatory, international currency. Such a currency would start out on shaky ground to start with, which wouldn't be so much of a problem if more or less the whole world were required to adopt it. Furthermore, currency abuses and problems by individual countries (ie. printing money, massive debt, hyperinflation, etc) would effect the ENTIRE global economy, as opposed to just the irresponsible nation in question.

This could be worked around by using, as Grays Harbor stated, a single metal system, but that has its problems as well, and as is any nation is free to use the gold (or any other) standard as the basis for their monetary system, it does not need to be globalized. The only other way to prevent such problems would be to have centralized control over the currency, meaning all currency operations such as printing would be handled directly by the WA, as you have planed to do.

That would be unfeasible economically, logistically, and politically. The cost of printing and circulating ALL of the world's currency would be hugely expensive and difficult to carry out. There is also the threat of the committee itself becoming politicized, as no nation is truly impartial when it comes to economics.

All of these drawbacks with little actual gain, it is for these reasons that we cannot support any proposal to create a single, global currency.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly