NATION

PASSWORD

[RULE CHANGE] House of Cards rule revision

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:39 pm

The Ice States wrote:Why not just "non-preambulatory clause" instead of "operative clause" in this rule? Or perhaps, "No proposal clause outside of the preamble may depend on...".

Definitions clauses have sometimes historically been placed into the preamble. Eg GA 114, GA 136, etc. We don't allow definitions to refer to previous resolutions. In general, the reason why we should prefer functional definitions to structural ones is that the structure of resolutions has changed and should be allowed to change.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Simone Republic » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:42 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:
There is an operative clause as a clause following the preambulatory clauses, and there is an Operative Clause in the sense of a clause with a measurable impact on member-nations, used to avoid a breach of the rule of the same name. A definitional clause is an operative clause but not an Operative Clause. I believe that this is the point that Simone was making.

I wouldn't be opposed then to renaming the "Operative clause rule" to the, in line with how we probably should keep the text informal, "Must do something rule".

That's roughly the point I was making. I don't really care what it's called. "Ain't gonna do nothing rule" if you want to go down the hip hop path.

GA#720 had a definition right at the top of the preamble.
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jun 23, 2022
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The Ice States » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:08 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:There is an operative clause as a clause following the preambulatory clauses, and there is an Operative Clause in the sense of a clause with a measurable impact on member-nations, used to avoid a breach of the rule of the same name. A definitional clause is an operative clause but not an Operative Clause. I believe that this is the point that Simone was making.

I wouldn't be opposed then to renaming the "Operative clause rule" to the, in line with how we probably should keep the text informal, "Must do something rule".

Perhaps "Effects" or something along those lines?
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Posts in the WA forums are Ooc and unofficial, absent indication otherwise.
Please check out my roleplay thread The Battle of Glass Tears!
WA 101 Guides to GA authorship, campaigning, and more.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jun 23, 2022
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The Ice States » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:54 pm

*** House of Cards rule revision ***

The Secretariat has finalised the following wording for the House of Cards rule,
House of Cards: No operative proposal clause may depend on a previous resolution in a way that would make the clause nonsensical or inoperative if that previous resolution were repealed. This rule does not apply to repeals.

The main change based on community feedback was to omit "reference or", such that the rule text only prohibited dependence; this is to avoid confusion on whether mentioning a resolution for rhetorical purposes was illegal. We also amended the final sentence to be clearer as to what it refers to.

Our thanks to all players who gave their input during this process!
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Posts in the WA forums are Ooc and unofficial, absent indication otherwise.
Please check out my roleplay thread The Battle of Glass Tears!
WA 101 Guides to GA authorship, campaigning, and more.

Previous

Return to General Assembly