NATION

PASSWORD

Anti-False Labeling and Advertisement Proposal

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Lenyo
Powerbroker

Founded: May 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Anti-False Labeling and Advertisement Proposal

Postby Lenyo » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:20 am

Authored by The Empire of Lenyo, Regionale. Opinions?

RECOGNIZING the importance of global industry and trade.
FURTHER RECOGNIZING that all products must be honestly labeled to ensure global customers' faith in any product.
UNDERSTANDING that one thorough system must be shared by all member nations to protect customers of the world against dishonest trade and marketing practices.
MANDATING a new WA agency, the Global Verifying Agency of Labeling, Advertisement, and Product Inspection (GVALAPI) to regulate, inspect, and confirm the contents and ingredients of all exports and imports to and from WA member nations.
ALLOWING the GVALAPI to inspect any and all international trade products of WA nations.
FURTHER ALLOWING the GVALAPI to forbid importation to any WA nation of any export which mislabels the contents or proportion of ingredients.
MANDATING that all exports and imports to WA nations must be labeled in such a manner which correctly states the contents and proportion of ingredients in any product for international trade.
BANNING WA nations from advertising any product in any false manner.
ALLOWING the GVALAPI to regulate and enforce the provisions of this proposal.

Co-authored by Al-Aqar. Strength: STRONG
GENERAL ASSEMBLY: ADVANCEMENT OF INDUSTRY: TORT REFORM
The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular
representatives of the oppressing class shall represent and repress them in parliament.

Lenin, State and Revolution (1917)

Absolvability
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Anti-False Labeling and Advertisement Proposal

Postby Absolvability » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:07 am

Well lets see... my first thought is that nobody is going to like having all of their products inspected. Perhaps the GVALAPI should only be charged with investigating reports of false advertisement. Also, the proposal probably needs a definition of what exactly constitutes false advertisement. You mention a thing or two in some clauses, but I think this proposal would benefit from a slightly more broad and clear definition that would incorporate all forms of advertisement rather than the label that is on the specific product. Oh... and just for aesthetics, maybe we could think up a better name for the GVALAPI (jalopy?)
Antonius Veloci
Ambassador of The Event Horizon of Absolvability

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:23 pm

I think it would behoove the author to find out what the definition of "tort reform" is.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Al-Aqar
Attaché

Founded: Jan 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Aqar » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:16 pm

Flibbleites wrote:I think it would behoove the author to find out what the definition of "tort reform" is.

Frankly, sir, the categories are rather limited. Draft a proposal yourself, perhaps, and see where else you'd put this one.
M. Ilyich
The Peoples' Republic of Al-Aqar
Political Compass:
Economic -9.38
Social -7.95

Avenio wrote:The gov'ment dun took ma baybay!!! Thayre comm'nist tayxes done took mah libertays! I ahm gonna geet mah gun and tayke back mah baybay aynd mah tayxes!

Tubbsalot wrote:Yes, the success of a generation should be judged solely by how well they can murder people. I'll get on to the UN about that right away.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:15 pm

That's why we've previously been advised to write drafts to match a category, rather than matching categories to already written drafts.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Al-Aqar
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Aqar » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:16 pm

So you would rather we ignore necessary areas of regulation because nobody's bothered to add a category?
M. Ilyich
Political Compass:
Economic -9.38
Social -7.95

Avenio wrote:The gov'ment dun took ma baybay!!! Thayre comm'nist tayxes done took mah libertays! I ahm gonna geet mah gun and tayke back mah baybay aynd mah tayxes!

Tubbsalot wrote:Yes, the success of a generation should be judged solely by how well they can murder people. I'll get on to the UN about that right away.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:57 am

Al-Aqar wrote:
Flibbleites wrote:I think it would behoove the author to find out what the definition of "tort reform" is.

Frankly, sir, the categories are rather limited. Draft a proposal yourself, perhaps, and see where else you'd put this one.

I have, twice. And personally I'd stick this under "Free Trade" with a strength of Significant, erroneous labels could be considered a barrier to trade.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:10 am

Or it could be 'Moral Decency'...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Al-Aqar
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Aqar » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:47 am

Understood; the category definitely needs to be changed; Free Trade certainly seems to be the answer.

Category notwithstanding, what else does this need? I'm the 'acting author' for this week, as the Ambassador of Lenyo has been recalled for reelection.
M. Ilyich
Political Compass:
Economic -9.38
Social -7.95

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:17 pm

Honoured ambassador to Al-Aqar:

It may be possible to accomplish this without another WA agency. My idea is to require all member states to prevent misleading and dishonest market practices.

I am wondering, what area are you trying to accomplish? I was wondering whether you mean food standards, if so then no committee is required yet member states must be required to prevent food either unfit for safe consumption or with misleading ingredients from entering the market.

Submitted for your consideration,
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Al-Aqar
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Aqar » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:32 pm

Thank you, Honored Ambassador. I believe, speaking for the author, that this would not limit itself to food but would rather encompass anything from pharmaceuticals to cosmetics. It does seem smoother to ask member states to regulate themselves, as long as they are presented with a unified code to conform to (which this would, of course, provide).

Thank you very much for your contributions,
M. Ilyich
Political Compass:
Economic -9.38
Social -7.95

Doctor Cyclops
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Doctor Cyclops » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:34 pm

I recommend that the name of the monitoring agency be changed to "Global Agency for Verification of Advertising and Labelling" so that it will form the more pleasing (and marketable) initialism of GAVAL. The name is easily pronounceable and invokes images of justice and legal process in the mind of the listener.

That said, I think this is best covered by individual national laws, and I am uncertain as to why a WA resolution is required. I simply forbid products past my borders that do not meet my rigid standards of label compliance. Any sensible nation should do the same. If there are ones that do not, well, I'm afraid that you cannot legislate good sense.
Last edited by Doctor Cyclops on Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Al-Aqar
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Aqar » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:26 pm

Thank you, Doctor, for your advice regarding the acronym; your suggestion is certainly much more pleasant (and equally significant). Regarding your position that the whole issue be chalked up to national sovereignty, I and the author (at the very least) believe that it is an issue of international commerce that is important enough to be worth legislating through the WA. It seems dangerous that a nation with a particularly laissez-faire approach to commerce could, say, send poisonous medicines as foreign aid without knowing what was in them.

Thank you for your concern, and for your contributions,
M. Ilyich
Political Compass:
Economic -9.38
Social -7.95

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:58 am

I should think that this issue would indeed be quite important on an international scale, considering the various laws on the topic in diverse nations coupled with the absolute importance of international trade. The economy would surely benefit from a certain level of trust; and I'm hoping this proposal isn't going to be confined to medicines/foods, either. They may be the most immediate concern due to the paramount imporance of health, but as an economic resolution it should not be so restrained.

Of course, with the often awkward and restrictive categories, perhaps this is not an economic resolution at all? The idea of this is not to standardize a certain quality of product, I do not think, but to assure that the consumer is aware of what they are getting. A lesser quality product will still sell because, presumably, it will come with a cheaper price.

If this is the objective, I believe the introductory clauses of this proposal should be more powerfully re-written to express the very probably long-term benefits.
Antonius Veloci

Lenyo
Powerbroker

Founded: May 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenyo » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:31 am

New Edition.

Labeling and Contents Verification Bill
Authored by the Empire of Lenyo.
RECOGNIZING the importance of global industry and trade.
FURTHER RECOGNIZING that all products must be honestly labeled to ensure global customers' faith in any product.
UNDERSTANDING that one thorough system must be shared by all member nations to protect customers of the world against dishonest trade and marketing practices.
MANDATING a new WA agency, the Global Agency for Verification of Advertising and Labeling (GAVAL) to regulate, inspect, and confirm the contents and ingredients of all exports and imports to and from WA member nations.
ALLOWING the GAVAL to inspect any and all international trade products of WA nations.
FURTHER ALLOWING the GAVAL to forbid importation to any WA nation of any export which mislabels the contents or proportion of ingredients.
MANDATING that all exports and imports to WA nations must be labeled in such a manner which correctly states the contents and proportion of ingredients in any product for international trade.
ALLOWING the GAVAL to regulate and enforce the provisions of this proposal.

Co-authored by Al-Aqar. Strength: STRONG
GENERAL ASSEMBLY: FREE TRADE
The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular
representatives of the oppressing class shall represent and repress them in parliament.

Lenin, State and Revolution (1917)

Sorgan
Senator

Founded: Jun 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sorgan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:35 am

RECOGNIZING: I don't want people poking around in my exports/imports.

FURTHER RECOGNIZING: Too me that sounds very dictatorial.
Last edited by Sorgan on Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

James Bluntus
Envoy

Founded: Dec 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby James Bluntus » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:55 am

I don't like the fact that everything that comes into and goes out of James Bluntus is inspected. That can and will decrease the quality of the goods. Not to mention the time frame of the imports coming in which is already bad enough. Nope. James Bluntus can't and won't support this proposal.
The Singing Nation of James Bluntus lives to fight alongside good and fight against evil.

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:22 am

Not only is the inspection of all exports/imports traded between WA-member nations distasteful, but it is a daunting task. I think it would be wise to change the wording so that the committee merely has the authority to investigate suspected/alleged cases.
Antonius Veloci

The Emmerian Unions
Minister

Founded: Jan 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emmerian Unions » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:40 pm

Lenyo wrote:MANDATING that all exports and imports to WA nations must be labeled in such a manner which correctly states the contents and proportion of ingredients in any product for international trade.

Sounds like this affects non-member nations.
The Cake is a lie!
<<Peace through Fear and Superior Firepower>>

STOP AMERICAN IMPERIALISM? America is ANTI-IMPERIAL!
Ifreann wrote:"And in world news, the United States has recently elected Bill Gates as God Emperor For All Time. Foreign commentators believe that Gates' personal fortune may have played a role in his victory, but criticism from the United States of Gates(as it is now known) has been sparse and brief."
For good Russian Rock Radio, go here.
Please note, I rarely go into NSG. If I post there, please do not expect a response from me.
ALL HAIL THE GODDESS REPLOID PRODUCTIONS!

Doctor Cyclops
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Doctor Cyclops » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:46 pm

Al-Aqar wrote:Thank you, Doctor, for your advice regarding the acronym; your suggestion is certainly much more pleasant (and equally significant). Regarding your position that the whole issue be chalked up to national sovereignty, I and the author (at the very least) believe that it is an issue of international commerce that is important enough to be worth legislating through the WA. It seems dangerous that a nation with a particularly laissez-faire approach to commerce could, say, send poisonous medicines as foreign aid without knowing what was in them.

Thank you for your concern, and for your contributions,

Pleased to see that the ambassador is open to rational criticism.

Allow me to illuminate the Doctor's position:

Countries that have an interest in their own welfare already have standards and regulatory bodies that cover this territory. Your proposal, effectively, would only be relevant to countries that haven't the good sense to enact such policies themselves. The WA can't very well be the world's nanny. Nations without the wisdom to prevent their own destruction from tainted medicine should probably be allowed to hurl themselves into the void of nonexistence. Certainly unpleasant, but unavoidable.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:31 am

The Emmerian Unions wrote:
Lenyo wrote:MANDATING that all exports and imports to WA nations must be labeled in such a manner which correctly states the contents and proportion of ingredients in any product for international trade.

OOC: No, it would just mean that member nations couldn't import anything from any non-members that didn't label their exports in this way...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Surote
Ambassador

Founded: May 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Surote » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:56 am

Surote would like to throw there support fully behind this cause false labeling and advertisment is wrong and should be punished

The Emmerian Unions
Minister

Founded: Jan 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emmerian Unions » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:37 am

Bears Armed wrote:
The Emmerian Unions wrote:

OOC: No, it would just mean that member nations couldn't import anything from any non-members that didn't label their exports in this way...

That does affect non-menber nations.
The Cake is a lie!
<<Peace through Fear and Superior Firepower>>

STOP AMERICAN IMPERIALISM? America is ANTI-IMPERIAL!
Ifreann wrote:"And in world news, the United States has recently elected Bill Gates as God Emperor For All Time. Foreign commentators believe that Gates' personal fortune may have played a role in his victory, but criticism from the United States of Gates(as it is now known) has been sparse and brief."
For good Russian Rock Radio, go here.
Please note, I rarely go into NSG. If I post there, please do not expect a response from me.
ALL HAIL THE GODDESS REPLOID PRODUCTIONS!

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:50 am

The Emmerian Unions wrote:That does affect non-menber nations.

(OOC: If you're going to take that view, you might as well start ranting about half the other resolutions that indirectly affect non-members...)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:30 am

OOC _
Incidentally, the current title is too long: The limit is 30 characters, including any blank spaces involved.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly