Page 3 of 3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:20 pm
by Bisofeyr
The Ice States wrote:
Bisofeyr wrote:Norde Lot, stepping into the chambers, glances down at the resolution beforehand, before cocking an eyebrow. "Under the provisions of this resolution, could a non-member seek asylum within the World Assembly if a member-nation were to attack it, until such a point that the member-nation had adequately retreated its forces from the concerned nation, at which point they withdraw from the World Assembly? I foresee potentially disastrous consequences by outright prohibiting war between member nations, as if the aforementioned scenario were to be allowed, it gives members a distinct disadvantage when going to war even with a non-member."

"Could you clarify what disadvantage this would create? If the non-member attacks that member nation, this resolution does not restrict the member nation from responding or otherwise defending itself."

~Robert Desak,
World Assembly Ambassador,
The Eternal Union of Devonia and the Ice States.

Suddenly stumbling over himself, Chief Delegate Lot responds hastily. "It's... Well, I'm just saying that..."

Standing at the podium, he clenches his hands, takes a deep breath, and thinks through his thoughts: "If a member nation attacks a non-member, that non-member can temporarily, yet definitively, end the attack simply by joining the World Assembly which, as we all know, has a notoriously lax entry process. This could be detrimental to any strategic advantage the member may have, including the element of surprise, troop positioning, and other related aspects."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:24 pm
by The Ice States
Bisofeyr wrote:
The Ice States wrote:"Could you clarify what disadvantage this would create? If the non-member attacks that member nation, this resolution does not restrict the member nation from responding or otherwise defending itself."

~Robert Desak,
World Assembly Ambassador,
The Eternal Union of Devonia and the Ice States.

Suddenly stumbling over himself, Chief Delegate Lot responds hastily. "It's... Well, I'm just saying that..."

Standing at the podium, he clenches his hands, takes a deep breath, and thinks through his thoughts: "If a member nation attacks a non-member, that non-member can temporarily, yet definitively, end the attack simply by joining the World Assembly which, as we all know, has a notoriously lax entry process. This could be detrimental to any strategic advantage the member may have, including the element of surprise, troop positioning, and other related aspects."

"Thank you for the commentary, Ambassador. However, we do not view it as harmful for member nations to have increased difficulty in waging wars of aggression against non-member nations; if anything it is an additional, if unintended, benefit. If your concern is non-member nations attacking a member nation and then entering the World Assembly to avoid retaliation, Section 3a applies on a per-nation basis, and as such that member nation would still not be restricted from defending itself."

"While indeed, non-member nations can wage wars of aggression at will, inasmuch as member nations still have full right to defend themselves and the only type of wars restricted are those of pure aggression, we do not see the harm. So-called 'preemptive strikes' are demonstrably harmful to international peace."

~Robert Desak,
World Assembly Ambassador,
The Eternal Union of Devonia and the Ice States.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:40 pm
by The Ice States
Bumping for any further comments!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 4:05 am
by Tigrisia
As wars between nation-states have negative impacts on the civilian population of involved nations, we recommend to drop clause 2b and change clause 2 to the following:

Aggression: Neither the World Assembly nor any member nation may perform, threaten, instigate, or assist any act of war against another nation, subject only to Section 3.

We also recommend to clarify that measures based on resolutions of the Security Council do not fall under this resolution.

For the delegation of the Federal Republic of Tigrisia at the World Assembly,
Brigadier General Michael Beier
Military Attachee

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 5:44 pm
by The Ice States
Tigrisia wrote:As wars between nation-states have negative impacts on the civilian population of involved nations, we recommend to drop clause 2b and change clause 2 to the following:

Aggression: Neither the World Assembly nor any member nation may perform, threaten, instigate, or assist any act of war against another nation, subject only to Section 3.

We also recommend to clarify that measures based on resolutions of the Security Council do not fall under this resolution.

For the delegation of the Federal Republic of Tigrisia at the World Assembly,
Brigadier General Michael Beier
Military Attachee

"Our nation has no objections to this measure, however we are concerned that a significant portion of the World Assembly would object to such a provision and oppose if it were included. We expect that the proposal as written will already be controversial among more warlike member nations, and we are concerned about making it even more so."

~Robert Desak,
World Assembly Ambassador,
The Eternal Union of Devonia and the Ice States.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 10:53 pm
by Magecastle Embassy Building A5
This could still use more comments, any thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 8:58 pm
by The Ice States
"Given the lack of commentary, it appears as though we have finally mastered the perfect proposal. Are there any objections to this classification being made? If not, celebrations -- not to mention submission -- will commence shortly."

~Samuel Rothmann,
WA Mission Intern Staffer,
The Eternal Union of Devonia and the Ice States.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 3:46 am
by Second Sovereignty
"Absolutely no support so long as Section 3.b.i remains as-written. The World Assembly is not and must not be the final arbiter of what can be considered grounds for humanitarian intervention - it does not have, at this time, right, a remotely sufficient standard thereof." Raxes clicked, pausing a moment. "I suppose I could have made that more clear in our initial commentary. But it remains the case."

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 1:53 pm
by The Ice States
Second Sovereignty wrote:"Absolutely no support so long as Section 3.b.i remains as-written. The World Assembly is not and must not be the final arbiter of what can be considered grounds for humanitarian intervention - it does not have, at this time, right, a remotely sufficient standard thereof." Raxes clicked, pausing a moment. "I suppose I could have made that more clear in our initial commentary. But it remains the case."

"Would your concern be addressed by replacing that provision with a definition of crimes against humanity independent of existing World Assembly resolutions?"

~Claudia Lindner,
Deputy World Assembly Ambassador,
The Eternal Union of Devonia and the Ice States.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 2:00 pm
by Second Sovereignty
The Ice States wrote:"Would your concern be addressed by replacing that provision with a definition of crimes against humanity independent of existing World Assembly resolutions?"

"So long as it is open for discussion," Raxes paused, then clicked to himself, "for a little while at least, then, yes. Of course, assuming it ultimately meets a reasonable standard."