NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Against Racial Discrimination

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jun 23, 2022
Compulsory Consumerist State

[DEFEATED] Against Racial Discrimination

Postby The Ice States » Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:05 pm

Ooc: Part 2 of a CoCR replacement. See here for associated repeal.

Whereas racial discrimination occurs in many member nations, yet is inherently unjust such that member nations have a duty both to protect their citizens against, and themselves refrain from, racial discrimination; and

Whereas the repeal of "The Charter of Civil Rights" has left an ominous silence regarding protections against racial discrimination;

The World Assembly enacts as follows.

1. Definition: For the purposes of this resolution, a "racial characteristic" is any characteristic such as skin colour, culture, nationality and language which is the perceived result of an individual's ethnicity or race, including ethnicity and race themselves.

2. Services: No member nation, or entity therein, may withhold, delay, or segregate any service, right or privilege, including employment and remuneration as well as sale of goods and property, from an individual on the grounds of any racial characteristic possessed or lacked by that individual, subject to Section 3.

3. Exceptions: Section 2 shall not prohibit a service, right, policy, or privilege clearly related to a racial characteristic, and which is essential to mitigate discrimination or the effects thereof against a particular racial characteristic, from being conditional on a racial characteristic of the recipient. Nor shall Section 2 prohibit an employer from considering a racial characteristic as part of deciding who to employ in a role, where that employer can conclusively show that both (a) the role is clearly related to the said racial characteristic, and (b) that racial characteristic is essential to carry out the relevant tasks if employed.

4. Segregation: Systematic or otherwise intentional and statistically disproportionate violence perpetrated against a group, forceful isolation or internment of a group in designated areas, removal of a group from designated areas, or the forceful institution of population controls on a group are recognised as acts of genocide. The segregation of a population based on any racial characteristic, regardless of whether such segregation is enforced by a state, is universally prohibited under World Assembly jurisdiction.

5. Classification: Every member nation is to consider racial characteristics to be arbitrary and reductive, and accordingly enforce laws against hate crime, violence, and other discrimination on the grounds of racial characteristics as with any other arbitrary, reductive characteristic. No part of this resolution should be interpreted as preventing member nations from jointly or severally enacting further legislation to protect against discrimination on the grounds of any racial characteristic.

Co-author: Wallenburg.
Last edited by Refuge Isle on Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:30 am, edited 26 times in total.
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Posts in the WA forums are Ooc and unofficial, absent indication otherwise.
Please check out my roleplay thread The Battle of Glass Tears!
WA 101 Guides to GA authorship, campaigning, and more.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:07 pm

All drafts are equal, but some drafts are more equal than others. The less equal drafts are here.
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:51 pm

Can it be presumed by the lack of comments that this draft is indeed perfect?

Waffia
Attaché

Founded: Aug 27, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Waffia » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:17 pm

Nicely written. I had a few concerns while reading the proposal, but most of them were addressed later on. A few remain.

The Ice States wrote:Whereas the repeal of "The Charter of Civil Rights" has left an ominous silence regarding protections against racial discrimination;

Very ominous indeed... I wonder who caused it? :p

The Ice States wrote:Services: No member nation, or entity therein, may withhold or segregate any right, privilege or service, including employment and renumeration as well as sale of goods and property, from an individual on the grounds of any racial characteristic possessed or lacked by that individual, subject to Section 3.

• How do you segregate a right? Is that really the correct phrase for the segregated application of a right?
  • Do I understand correctly that this forbids positive discrimination, including preferential hiring or tie-breaking based on a racial characteristic, since those are not services as described in Section 3?
  • If a tourist from a non-WA nation visits a WA nation (and is thus "an entity therein") and that tourist has a shop in their home country where segregation is mandatory, does that tourist now become a criminal during their holiday in the WA nation? If yes, is that the intended effect of your proposal?

The Ice States wrote:Exceptions: Section 2 shall not prohibit a service, such as counselling for victims of racial discrimination, clearly related to a racial characteristic and which is essential to mitigate discrimination or the effects thereof against a particular racial characteristic from only being granted depending on a racial characteristic of the recipient. Nor shall Section 2 prohibit an employer from withholding employment from an individual based on a racial characteristic which that employer can show is essential to carry out the relevant tasks if employed, such as language in the case of translators.

I think there should be a comma to indicate where the sub-sentence "clearly related to [...]" stops. I think after "against a particular racial characteristic"?

The Ice States wrote:Segregation: Systematic or otherwise intentional and statistically disproportionate violence perpetrated against a group, forceful isolation of a group in designated areas, removal of a group from designated areas, or the forceful institution of population controls on a group are recognised as acts of genocide. Accordingly, the act of a state authority compelling any individual to remain within or outside of any particular physical boundary on the grounds of a racial characteristic possessed or lacked by that individual shall be considered a form of genocide.

A prison guard is a state authority. A prison guard intentionally placing an individual prisoner in the cell with the softest mattress solely because that prisoner is the only one with a specific racial characteristic is a racist act. However, this is obviously not a case of genocide.
Fimmi Grebbel
Waffian Ambassador to the World Assembly

Comments in quotes are in-character, comments without quotes are out-of-character.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:49 pm

Ambassador Fortier presents some annotated comments to the delegation for the Ice States. “On behalf of the People’s Republic of Kenmoria, I provisionally support this measure.”

The Ice States wrote:Whereas racial discrimination is a malum in se which member nations have a duty to protect their citizens against; and

Whereas the repeal of "The Charter of Civil Rights" has left an ominous silence regarding protections against racial discrimination; This preamble is somewhat bare. Though indubitably true, the mere assertion that racial discrimination is a malum in se comes with no justification.

The World Assembly enacts as follows.

1. Definition: For the purposes of this resolution, a "racial characteristic" is any characteristic such as skin colour, culture, nationality and language which is the perceived result of an individual's ethnicity or race, including ethnicity and race themselves. The correct word here is “that” rather than “which”, before your Excellency is providing a criterion of the “characteristic”, rather than merely providing more detail about it.

2. Services: No member nation, or entity therein, may withhold or segregate any right, privilege or service, including employment and renumeration as well as sale of goods and property, from an individual on the grounds of any racial characteristic possessed or lacked by that individual, subject to Section 3. I am not certain that it is meaningful to speak of segregating a right. Given that segregation is prohibited by the fourth section of this proposal, I am not certain that segregation needs to be included in this clause. However, I do believe that “delay” should be added in its place.

3. Exceptions: Section 2 shall not prohibit a service, such as counselling for victims of racial discrimination, clearly related to a racial characteristic and which is essential to mitigate discrimination or the effects thereof against a particular racial characteristic from only being granted depending on a racial characteristic of the recipient. Nor shall Section 2 prohibit an employer from withholding employment from an individual based on a racial characteristic which that employer can show is essential to carry out the relevant tasks if employed, such as language in the case of translators. The first sentence of this clause is, in my view, almost unreadable. Your Excellency should consider splitting it into multiple sentences.

4. Segregation: Systematic or otherwise intentional and statistically disproportionate violence perpetrated against a group, forceful isolation of a group in designated areas, removal of a group from designated areas, or the forceful institution of population controls on a group are recognised as acts of genocide. Accordingly, the act of a state authority compelling any individual to remain within or outside of any particular physical boundary on the grounds of a racial characteristic possessed or lacked by that individual shall be considered a form of genocide. This clause does not clarify what is meant by a group. Therefore, prisoners would be considered as a group, as would convicted murderers. This is clearly undesirable, so I suggest that your Excellency add some qualification to what is meant by a group.

5. Classification: Every member nation is to consider racial characteristics to be arbitrary and reductive, and accordingly enforce laws against hate crime, violence, and other discrimination on the grounds of racial characteristics as with any other arbitrary, reductive characteristic. No part of this resolution should be interpreted as preventing member nations from jointly or severally enacting further legislation to protect against discrimination on the grounds of any racial characteristic.
Co-author: Wallenburg.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:24 pm

I prefer using "which" instead of "that", which is still a grammatically correct (and somewhat more formal) way of introducing restrictive clauses. Eg [1]. As to the "group" wording, that was written by the co-author Wallenburg rather than myself, although I still believe that it is fine; attempting to destroy a group is considered genocide, yet enforcing the law is not considered genocide just because it attempts to destroy the existence of criminals. Otherwise, all concerns should be addressed. As to affirmative action, that could reasonably count as a "right[ ]or privilege" meeting Section 3's first set of criteria (NB: that exception was previously only limited to services).
Last edited by The Ice States on Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:50 pm

Oxford Dictionary of English sv "that":

The general rule in British English is that, in restrictive relative clauses, where the relative clause serves to define or restrict the reference to the particular one described, which can replace that.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:40 pm

Bump.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:48 pm

Tentative last call for submission on Saturday absent further comments.

Aelyria
Attaché

Founded: Apr 20, 2008

Postby Aelyria » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:07 am

OOC: At the very least, you're missing a period at the end of the second sentence of section 3. Second, while I personally favor the use of (some) affirmative action programs, leaving that undefined without intent to create subsequent legislation on that particular matter creates a gaping escape clause in the topic, one very likely to be used as cause for repeal. All one need do is create a "positive discrimination" program which happens to target the right groups for assistance. Finally, as this regulates both government and private activity, formally speaking I am fairly sure that this would invalidate such groups as the NAACP and other organizations dedicated to the welfare of particular groups without being, as stated, "positive discrimination"--there can be no advocacy for persons of color if selectivity on the basis of race or ethnicity is a crime.
Last edited by Aelyria on Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pacific Haven
Envoy

Founded: Dec 14, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacific Haven » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:27 am

Aelyria wrote:OOC: At the very least, you're missing a period at the end of the second sentence of section 3. Second, while I personally favor the use of (some) affirmative action programs, leaving that undefined without intent to create subsequent legislation on that particular matter creates a gaping escape clause in the topic, one very likely to be used as cause for repeal. All one need do is create a "positive discrimination" program which happens to target the right groups for assistance. Finally, as this regulates both government and private activity, formally speaking I am fairly sure that this would invalidate such groups as the NAACP and other organizations dedicated to the welfare of particular groups without being, as stated, "positive discrimination"--there can be no advocacy for persons of color if selectivity on the basis of race or ethnicity is a crime.

I don't see how this is banning groups like the NAACP. They still exist today despite anti-discrimination laws in the real world; their role is mainly providing legal advice to those who have been victims of such discrimination, which is now even more important because discrimination is a criminal offence.

The Ice States wrote:[*]Segregation: Systematic or otherwise intentional and statistically disproportionate violence perpetrated against a group, forceful isolation of a group in designated areas, removal of a group from designated areas, or the forceful institution of population controls on a group are recognised as acts of genocide. Accordingly, the segregation of a population based on a racial characteristic enforced, including via informal pressure, by a state authority shall be considered a form of genocide.

Having separate bathrooms for people of colour is awful, and should be a crime, but can hardly be considered a genocide. The definition of "designated areas" needs to be broader, because this covers everything from which side of the road you can drive on- which isn't a genocide- up to the Trail of Tears- which is a genocide.
Commonwealth of the Pacific Haven
"For the Pacific People"

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:44 am

Aelyria wrote:OOC: At the very least, you're missing a period at the end of the second sentence of section 3. Second, while I personally favor the use of (some) affirmative action programs, leaving that undefined without intent to create subsequent legislation on that particular matter creates a gaping escape clause in the topic, one very likely to be used as cause for repeal. All one need do is create a "positive discrimination" program which happens to target the right groups for assistance. Finally, as this regulates both government and private activity, formally speaking I am fairly sure that this would invalidate such groups as the NAACP and other organizations dedicated to the welfare of particular groups without being, as stated, "positive discrimination"--there can be no advocacy for persons of color if selectivity on the basis of race or ethnicity is a crime.

Ooc: The "positive discrimination" section was a leftover from an amendment to the draft; I believe it is now fully covered by the rest of Section 3, which also permits groups such as the NAACP,
Section 2 shall not prohibit a service, right or privilege clearly related to a racial characteristic, and which is essential to mitigate discrimination or the effects thereof against a particular racial characteristic, from only being granted depending on a racial characteristic of the recipient.

Given that the "designated areas" wording is Wallenburg's rather than mine I've asked him to comment on that.
Last edited by The Ice States on Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:01 pm

Pacific Haven wrote:I don't see how this is banning groups like the NAACP. They still exist today despite anti-discrimination laws in the real world; their role is mainly providing legal advice to those who have been victims of such discrimination, which is now even more important because discrimination is a criminal offence.

I agree with PH here. The NAACP, as an example, would fall under the section 3 exceptions, since anti-discrimination advocacy and material support to combat certain forms and products of discrimination necessarily count as services related to a racial characteristic.
Having separate bathrooms for people of colour is awful, and should be a crime, but can hardly be considered a genocide. The definition of "designated areas" needs to be broader, because this covers everything from which side of the road you can drive on- which isn't a genocide- up to the Trail of Tears- which is a genocide.

Forceful removal of a racial group from or isolation of a racial group into designated areas is ethnic cleansing. This language is lifted in full from my Freedom of Travel and Don't Kill the Poor Act resolutions because such actions carried out systematically are universally components of eliminationist ambitions concerning marginalized groups. As it stands, this does not cover things like "what side of the road you drive on" because "people travelling north on I-5" is not a group in any meaningful sense of the word.
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:20 pm

Upon further consideration, I've changed the mandate for specifically segregation to not define such acts as inherently genocide while still prohibiting them, whether enforced by a state or not (eg some business providing separate bathrooms for black people is illegal). The broader provision against genocide written by Wallenburg remains unchanged.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:07 pm

Ambassador Fortier stands to speak. “The exception contained in the third clause, which presently applies only to the second clause, should also apply to the fourth clause. I cannot imagine how that would apply to forced controls on population, but I can imagine situations where it could apply to movement to and from an area, particularly where the area in question is of small size.”
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:30 pm

Kenmoria wrote:Ambassador Fortier stands to speak. “The exception contained in the third clause, which presently applies only to the second clause, should also apply to the fourth clause. I cannot imagine how that would apply to forced controls on population, but I can imagine situations where it could apply to movement to and from an area, particularly where the area in question is of small size.”

"Thank you for the comment, Ambassador. That said, as of yet I am unconvinced that doing this is necessary while not merely weakening the protections of the resolution. Could you give an example of a situation in which making a racial distinction in freedom of travel is justified?"

~Robert Desak,
World Assembly Ambassador,
The Eternal Union of Devonia and the Ice States.

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:44 pm

Kenmoria wrote:Ambassador Fortier stands to speak. “The exception contained in the third clause, which presently applies only to the second clause, should also apply to the fourth clause. I cannot imagine how that would apply to forced controls on population, but I can imagine situations where it could apply to movement to and from an area, particularly where the area in question is of small size.”

"I cannot imagine situations where racially segregated travelling apparata are desirable. Transit and roads belong to all law-abiding citizens."
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:38 pm

Submitting tomorrow!

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:46 am

It feels very strange to me to include language as a "racial characteristic". Some people from India speak English. Some people from China speak English. Some people from England speak Hindi and Chinese. Some people descended from people from China are no good at Mandarin. The inclusion of language here itself feels like the kind of racial essentialism that this proposal would want to fight against.

"Genocide" has a specific definition in international law. People today really like to spread it out. I would insist that the word's meaning remain as it was when defined in those statutes. Eg UN, Slate. To create a NS-specific definition is both unnecessarily confusing and greatly cheapening. Just discuss segregation and something akin to apartheid as themselves.

I thus insist, to that end, on rewrites to ensure that the ideas here are expressed precisely and consistently with general usage.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:46 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:It feels very strange to me to include language as a "racial characteristic". Some people from India speak English. Some people from China speak English. Some people from England speak Hindi and Chinese. Some people descended from people from China are no good at Mandarin. The inclusion of language here itself feels like the kind of racial essentialism that this proposal would want to fight against.

I think you've overlooked that such characteristics are not referred to as actual results of someone's ethnicity or race, but as perceived results of ethnicity or race. A black guy speaking Mandarin does not experience discrimination for his speaking Mandarin as a racial characteristic, whereas a Chinese man doing the same may. I think this is well-handled.
"Genocide" has a specific definition in international law. People today really like to spread it out. I would insist that the word's meaning remain as it was when defined in those statutes. Eg UN, Slate. To create a NS-specific definition is both unnecessarily confusing and greatly cheapening. Just discuss segregation and something akin to apartheid as themselves.

Segregation and apartheid are certainly international issues, but I don't see why the mass murder of populations on the basis of racial characteristics should go unaddressed. And, as I previously expressed, segregation and apartheid are necessarily components of eliminationist ideology. A society that removes a marginalized group to a designated subsection will ultimately not be satisfied with that, and will desire total elimination of the "undesirable" group.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:40 pm

Wallenburg wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:It feels very strange to me to include language as a "racial characteristic". Some people from India speak English. Some people from China speak English. Some people from England speak Hindi and Chinese. Some people descended from people from China are no good at Mandarin. The inclusion of language here itself feels like the kind of racial essentialism that this proposal would want to fight against.

I think you've overlooked that such characteristics are not referred to as actual results of someone's ethnicity or race, but as perceived results of ethnicity or race. A black guy speaking Mandarin does not experience discrimination for his speaking Mandarin as a racial characteristic, whereas a Chinese man doing the same may. I think this is well-handled.

Then what is your interpretation of "Nor shall Section 2 prohibit an employer from withholding employment from an individual based on a racial characteristic which that employer can show is essential to carry out the relevant tasks if employed, such as language in the case of translators"?

Wallenburg wrote:

Segregation and apartheid are certainly international issues, but I don't see why the mass murder of populations on the basis of racial characteristics should go unaddressed. And, as I previously expressed, segregation and apartheid are necessarily components of eliminationist ideology. A society that removes a marginalized group to a designated subsection will ultimately not be satisfied with that, and will desire total elimination of the "undesirable" group.

Unless you'd like to repeal and replace the Genocide Convention for no reason too, we have different words for these things.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:42 pm

I'm genuinely confused as to how Section 3 has any bearing whatsoever on the fact that the definition of a "racial characteristic" is explicitly defined as a characteristic perceived to be related to race or ethnicity.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:52 pm

Wallenburg wrote:

"I cannot imagine situations where racially segregated travelling apparata are desirable. Transit and roads belong to all law-abiding citizens."

Ambassador Fortier responds. “I was concerned in particular with the part prohibiting exclusion from an area. I will give an example of this. In the People’s Republic of Kenmoria, there is a Basque minority who suffered discrimination under the previous government. Occasionally, in the País Vasco, there are conferences on Basque issues which only Basque citizens are allowed to attend. These often extend over a very large area, with cultural events being performed.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2019
Capitalizt

Postby Simone Republic » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:33 am

Again, I am disappointed in the rushed submission of this resolution, when IA, Kenmoria and myself are all online trying to discuss issues with both this resolution and the Prevention of Hate Crime resolution, and issues with other resolutions related to the repeal of COCR (GAR#35).

The Ice States wrote:
Exceptions: Section 2 shall not prohibit a service, right or privilege clearly related to a racial characteristic, and which is essential to mitigate discrimination or the effects thereof against a particular racial characteristic, from only being granted depending on a racial characteristic of the recipient. Nor shall Section 2 prohibit an employer from withholding employment from an individual based on a racial characteristic which that employer can show is essential to carry out the relevant tasks if employed, such as language in the case of translators.

This has a giant loophole in that a private employer who sets out to discriminate against a race can literally include "translation" in nearly every job description as suggested in the resolution, to name one example.

Alternatively, they can easily discriminate speakers of African-American Vernacular English or Scottish English (vs Estuary English in London).

While WA resolutions assume good faith on the part of member states (or their governments or sub-governments in a way), such as GA654, the assumption of good faith on the part of private employers is tenuous at best and not actually apparent.
Last edited by Simone Republic on Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:00 am, edited 7 times in total.
I speak in a personal capacity OOC unless specifically IC in GP (TNP). (He/him). RP IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only. \ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ/

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:42 pm

It would have been much easier to address this if you had posted it separately instead of editing all this actual substance days after posting. Anyway, an employer must not merely claim that something is essential, it must actually "show" that. What a member nation accepts as "shown" must obviously be in good faith; it seems very unreasonable to assume that something as tenuous as "Scottish English vs Estuary English" would be accepted in good faith.

Just including the keyword "translation" in an entirely unrelated job description, likewise, is a rather bizarre interpretation of what that does; the task must actually be translation. I don't think that example even falls under bad faith, that's just non-compliance.
Last edited by The Ice States on Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives