NATION

PASSWORD

[Re-edited] - Prevention of Necrophilia

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Zetaopalatopia
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 19, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Zetaopalatopia » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:51 am

What about in cases where the cadaver had prior to expiration given irrefutable consent for such activities to take place with their body post death? The concept of 'dignity' would not apply in such cases
What's this signature thing do?
Unofficial warnings: 1
Personal moto(s):
Always do your best to push the line, but never cross it if you aren't ready for what comes next.
- Myself
The result justifies the deed. (Exitus acta probat)
- Ovid

Mad, adj. Affected with a high degree of intellectual independence.
-Ambrose Bierce

The Overmind
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2022
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:00 am

Zetaopalatopia wrote:What about in cases where the cadaver had prior to expiration given irrefutable consent for such activities to take place with their body post death? The concept of 'dignity' would not apply in such cases

Consent is an active process, not something which can be forever assumed once given. No one is around to consent, to argue that such prior consent was not coerced, given under duress, or given of unsound mind, so no one is there to maintain the presumption of a bonafide consent.
Free Palestine

Trans men are men | Trans women are women | Sex is non-binary
Assigned sex isn't biological sex | Trans rights are human rights

Neuroscientist | Formerly Heavens Reach | He/Him/His

Zetaopalatopia
Spokesperson

Postby Zetaopalatopia » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:15 am

The Overmind wrote:
Zetaopalatopia wrote:What about in cases where the cadaver had prior to expiration given irrefutable consent for such activities to take place with their body post death? The concept of 'dignity' would not apply in such cases

Consent is an active process, not something which can be forever assumed once given. No one is around to consent, to argue that such prior consent was not coerced, given under duress, or given of unsound mind, so no one is there to maintain the presumption of a bonafide consent.

I understand and agree with your argument against the consent being given under duress, however I find the fact that 'of unsound mind' can be used for anything the judging individual deems to make it an invalid cause for dismissal of prior consent.

Coercion I also agree could make ones prior consent questionable, however if the 'coercion' is an equitable trade agreed to and signed off on, then would preventing the trade to conclude not be more harmful than not?
Personal moto(s):
Always do your best to push the line, but never cross it if you aren't ready for what comes next.
- Myself
- Ovid

-Ambrose Bierce

The Overmind
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:36 am

Zetaopalatopia wrote:
The Overmind wrote:

I understand and agree with your argument against the consent being given under duress, however I find the fact that 'of unsound mind' can be used for anything the judging individual deems to make it an invalid cause for dismissal of prior consent.

Coercion I also agree could make ones prior consent questionable, however if the 'coercion' is an equitable trade agreed to and signed off on, then would preventing the trade to conclude not be more harmful than not?

Unsound mind, in this context, should be understood to mean anyone who could normally give consent, but is currently unable to because of their mental state, which includes intoxication, altered states of consciousness, etc.

The main point of my argument otherwise is that consent must be actively maintained, so even if one could reasonably conclude that it is unlikely that consent was initially given absent any questionable circumstance, the person who actually gave consent is not there to verify or maintain it.

For example, for all we know, they would have revoked consent moments before death but were unable to. Consent can be rescinded at any time, and should be considered rescinded by presumption if no one is there to maintain it.
Last edited by The Overmind on Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free Palestine

Zetaopalatopia
Spokesperson

Postby Zetaopalatopia » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:00 pm

The Overmind wrote:
Zetaopalatopia wrote:

Unsound mind, in this context, should be understood to mean anyone who could normally give consent, but is currently unable to because of their mental state, which includes intoxication, altered states of consciousness, etc.

The main point of my argument otherwise is that consent must be actively maintained, so even if one could reasonably conclude that it is unlikely that consent was initially given absent any questionable circumstance, the person who actually gave consent is not there to verify or maintain it.

For example, for all we know, they would have revoked consent moments before death but were unable to. Consent can be rescinded at any time, and should be considered rescinded by presumption if no one is there to maintain it.

So, the act of being inanimate means that consent can't be guaranteed, and there fore must be considered as rescinded or never given in the first place is what you are saying? Even in the case where video, trusted next of kin, or signed contract state consent was given in perpetuity?
Personal moto(s):
- Myself
- Ovid

-Ambrose Bierce

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2019

Postby Simone Republic » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:35 pm

Second Sovereignty wrote:OOC:
Why are we still trying this? We have better things to be doing.

On the off chance that we get another one that someone says affirmative notarized consent prior to their death counts, ala GAR 691.
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jun 23, 2022
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The Ice States » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:40 pm

"Our only objection to this draft as written is that it should apply to all sex with corpses of a sapient species, not only those of the same species as the person performing the acts. Dignity of the deceased is not harmed any less because the person doing it does not happen to be of the same sapient species."

~Claudia Lindner,
Deputy World Assembly Ambassador,
The Eternal Union of Devonia and the Ice States.
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Posts in the WA forums are Ooc and unofficial, absent indication otherwise.
Please check out my roleplay thread The Battle of Glass Tears!
WA 101 Guides to GA authorship, campaigning, and more.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:49 pm

Zetaopalatopia wrote:
The Overmind wrote:

So, the act of being inanimate means that consent can't be guaranteed, and there fore must be considered as rescinded or never given in the first place is what you are saying? Even in the case where video, trusted next of kin, or signed contract state consent was given in perpetuity?

(OOC: It is generally believed that one cannot consent to sexual intercourse in perpetuity irrespective of whatever contracts one signs. This is because consent to sexual intercourse is regarded as withdrawable at any moment.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2019

Postby Simone Republic » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:01 pm

The Ice States wrote:"Our only objection to this draft as written is that it should apply to all sex with corpses of a sapient species, not only those of the same species as the person performing the acts. Dignity of the deceased is not harmed any less because the person doing it does not happen to be of the same sapient species."

~Claudia Lindner,
Deputy World Assembly Ambassador,
The Eternal Union of Devonia and the Ice States.

Changed since you banned bestiality anyway.

Kenmoria wrote:
Zetaopalatopia wrote:

(OOC: It is generally believed that one cannot consent to sexual intercourse in perpetuity irrespective of whatever contracts one signs. This is because consent to sexual intercourse is regarded as withdrawable at any moment.)

By the same logic, consent to being eaten can also be withdrawn - ala repeal 691!
Last edited by Simone Republic on Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

The Overmind
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:40 pm

Simone Republic wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: It is generally believed that one cannot consent to sexual intercourse in perpetuity irrespective of whatever contracts one signs. This is because consent to sexual intercourse is regarded as withdrawable at any moment.)

By the same logic, consent to being eaten can also be withdrawn - ala repeal 691!

You and I rarely agree on policy, but once in a while planets align.
Last edited by The Overmind on Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Palestine

Zetaopalatopia
Spokesperson

Postby Zetaopalatopia » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:00 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Zetaopalatopia wrote:

(OOC: Fair, but such a strict view necessarily excludes any who are actually consenting to and okay with acts while unconscious or, in the context of this thread, deceased. Thus I must play advocate for what I see as the less considered points of view.)
Personal moto(s):
- Myself
- Ovid

-Ambrose Bierce

The Overmind
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:17 pm

Zetaopalatopia wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: It is generally believed that one cannot consent to sexual intercourse in perpetuity irrespective of whatever contracts one signs. This is because consent to sexual intercourse is regarded as withdrawable at any moment.)

(OOC: Fair, but such a strict view necessarily excludes any who are actually consenting to and okay with acts while unconscious or, in the context of this thread, deceased. Thus I must play advocate for what I see as the less considered points of view.)

Generally speaking, it would be considered impossible for an unconscious person to maintain consent, so, yes, your conclusion is logical, but it's not an argument for allowing necrophilia.
Free Palestine

Zetaopalatopia
Spokesperson

Postby Zetaopalatopia » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:35 pm

The Overmind wrote:
Zetaopalatopia wrote:

Generally speaking, it would be considered impossible for an unconscious person to maintain consent, so, yes, your conclusion is logical, but it's not an argument for allowing necrophilia.

Perhaps not, but by the same logic one can not consent to being an organ donor or to giving their body to science as medical procedures require informed consent as well. If you can consent to the post mortem harvesting of your organs, then you should be able to consent to post mortem relations in much the same fashion
Personal moto(s):
- Myself
- Ovid

-Ambrose Bierce

The Overmind
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:59 pm

Zetaopalatopia wrote:
The Overmind wrote:

Perhaps not, but by the same logic one can not consent to being an organ donor or to giving their body to science as medical procedures require informed consent as well. If you can consent to the post mortem harvesting of your organs, then you should be able to consent to post mortem relations in much the same fashion

Medical decisions, by necessity, require the recognition of, and conventionally recognize, consent beyond a person's ability to maintain it, because medical decisions must frequently be made in such a context. Organ donation is also something that is necessary to save lives, and consent for it often cannot be maintained by the person donating. Furthermore, sex is recognized as an act that requires ongoing and explicit consent. The similarities between the two domains are superficial, and the arguments that apply to one do not, for any of the arguments presented, apply to the other.
Last edited by The Overmind on Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free Palestine

Zetaopalatopia
Spokesperson

Postby Zetaopalatopia » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:45 am

The Overmind wrote:
Zetaopalatopia wrote:

Medical decisions, by necessity, require the recognition of, and conventionally recognize, consent beyond a person's ability to maintain it, because medical decisions must frequently be made in such a context. Organ donation is also something that is necessary to save lives, and consent for it often cannot be maintained by the person donating. Furthermore, sex is recognized as an act that requires ongoing and explicit consent. The similarities between the two domains are superficial, and the arguments that apply to one do not, for any of the arguments presented, apply to the other.

Well then, I have a compromise that should be perfectly acceptable under the 'medical loophole' when it comes to not needing ongoing consent. All the cadaver needs do before death is donate their organs while giving explicit instruction that specific organs of theirs become property of their partner. Once those specific organs are no longer part of the cadaver's body and in possession of the indicated individual then the consent need only come from the current holder of the 'donated organ'

(OOC: I do hope you realize I'm not actually condoning my arguments for IRL implications. I just like to debate)
Personal moto(s):
- Myself
- Ovid

-Ambrose Bierce

The Overmind
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:47 am

Zetaopalatopia wrote:
The Overmind wrote:

Well then, I have a compromise that should be perfectly acceptable under the 'medical loophole' when it comes to not needing ongoing consent. All the cadaver needs do before death is donate their organs while giving explicit instruction that specific organs of theirs become property of their partner. Once those specific organs are no longer part of the cadaver's body and in possession of the indicated individual then the consent need only come from the current holder of the 'donated organ'

(OOC: I do hope you realize I'm not actually condoning my arguments for IRL implications. I just like to debate)

That would no longer be a medical decision at that point, and would still not be neccessary to save lives.
Free Palestine

Zetaopalatopia
Spokesperson

Postby Zetaopalatopia » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:12 am

The Overmind wrote:
Zetaopalatopia wrote:

That would no longer be a medical decision at that point, and would still not be neccessary to save lives.

It would if the organ donor status was tied to the latter clause being fulfilled. Basically, 'If you need my organ donation you WILL agree to this clause or no organs for you'

But we are just arguing in circles at this point. I'll just state that I feel if consent is given pre mortem for post mortem activities, then the last recorded proof of consent should be considered perpetual because the dead can not rescind consent. Going back to organ donation, there is no way of telling if the individual in their dying breath decided not to donate instead. Perhaps the individual needs to have their consent listed in their will, as that tends to be seen as consent to distribute wealth and property to those they cared for.

Also the reasons for consent do not exist when considering a cadaver as there is no risk of mental or lasting physical harm to the former individual as they are no longer an individual.
Personal moto(s):
- Myself
- Ovid

-Ambrose Bierce

The Overmind
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:14 am

Zetaopalatopia wrote:
The Overmind wrote:

It would if the organ donor status was tied to the latter clause being fulfilled. Basically, 'If you need my organ donation you WILL agree to this clause or no organs for you'

But we are just arguing in circles at this point. I'll just state that I feel if consent is given pre mortem for post mortem activities, then the last recorded proof of consent should be considered perpetual because the dead can not rescind consent. Going back to organ donation, there is no way of telling if the individual in their dying breath decided not to donate instead. Perhaps the individual needs to have their consent listed in their will, as that tends to be seen as consent to distribute wealth and property to those they cared for.

Also the reasons for consent do not exist when considering a cadaver as there is no risk of mental or lasting physical harm to the former individual as they are no longer an individual.

A person who conditions their organ donation on nonconsensual sex being permitted with their body will simply not have their organs taken.

I'm not arguing that the dead rescind consent. I'm arguing that consent to sex must be maintained and the dead cannot do that.

You brought the discussion about consent to argue that the consent of the dead means there is no indignity in the act of necrophilia. If you're now arguing that consent is irrelevant for the dead, it torpedoes that argument.
Last edited by The Overmind on Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Free Palestine

Zetaopalatopia
Spokesperson

Postby Zetaopalatopia » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:37 am

The Overmind wrote:
Zetaopalatopia wrote:

A person who conditions their organ donation on nonconsensual sex being permitted with their body will simply not have their organs taken.

I'm not arguing that the dead rescind consent. I'm arguing that consent to sex must be maintained and the dead cannot do that.

You brought the discussion about consent to argue that the consent of the dead means there is no indignity in the act of necrophilia. If you're now arguing that consent is irrelevant for the dead, it torpedoes that argument.

When one argument is not working shift to another. While I would prefer a world where an individual has a say of what happens to or with their body in ALL respects, the fact of the matter is a body is not an individual, and all things that happen to one after death don't matter in the slightest. I was trying to find a way to allow for those of 'interesting tastes' to have a legal if dubious way to receive the needed consent to make the act not criminal.

If the dead can consent to medical treatments, they can consent to anything. And if the dead can not consent, then all organ donations are nonconsensual. that is the stance I take if we consider a cadaver to be subject to consent given prior to death.

If however a cadaver is not subject to consent then there is no argument other than risk of pathogens.
Personal moto(s):
- Myself
- Ovid

-Ambrose Bierce

The Overmind
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:43 pm

Zetaopalatopia wrote:When one argument is not working shift to another. While I would prefer a world where an individual has a say of what happens to or with their body in ALL respects, the fact of the matter is a body is not an individual, and all things that happen to one after death don't matter in the slightest. I was trying to find a way to allow for those of 'interesting tastes' to have a legal if dubious way to receive the needed consent to make the act not criminal.

This reflects your value system. It is not a fact that nothing that happens to a body matters.

Zetaopalatopia wrote:If the dead can consent to medical treatments, they can consent to anything.

Sex and organ donation are two completely different domains of consent, as I have already argued.

Zetaopalatopia wrote:And if the dead can not consent, then all organ donations are nonconsensual.

Medical decisions, by necessity, and traditionally, operate under the presumption of maintained consent. Sex does not.

Zetaopalatopia wrote:If however a cadaver is not subject to consent then there is no argument other than risk of pathogens.

If a cadaver is not subject to consent, your initial argument founders.
Free Palestine

Zetaopalatopia
Spokesperson

Postby Zetaopalatopia » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:07 pm

The Overmind wrote:
Zetaopalatopia wrote:If however a cadaver is not subject to consent then there is no argument other than risk of pathogens.

If a cadaver is not subject to consent, your initial argument founders.

If a cadaver is not subject to consent it is an object, and there is no need for my initial argument

An argument is only needed if consent is a factor.
Personal moto(s):
- Myself
- Ovid

-Ambrose Bierce

The Overmind
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:06 pm

What about in cases where the cadaver had prior to expiration given irrefutable consent for such activities to take place with their body post death? The concept of 'dignity' would not apply in such cases

You argue that dignity does not apply where consent is given. If consent does not apply, then dignity applies.
Last edited by The Overmind on Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Palestine

Zetaopalatopia
Spokesperson

Postby Zetaopalatopia » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:38 pm

The Overmind wrote:

You argue that dignity does not apply where consent is given. If consent does not apply, then dignity applies.

I do not believe there is dignity in the first place, hence why it is in quotes in my statement above. Mentioning dignity at all was a concession I made in hopes to reach a middle ground given we are both on opposite sides of this argument.

For me, a cadaver is a cadaver, not a person, not an individual. A pile of formerly living biomass and nothing more. However I understand that my view point on this is... less than common, so my arguments have been attempts to bridge that gap in the center. Allowing for the living to cede the need for consent of what will become not them, while also allowing those who hold a body after death in the same regard as a living individual for such matters. As no middle ground can be found I reverted to my less compromising stance on the subject.

We will likely never find an agreeable middle ground between our view points.
Personal moto(s):
- Myself
- Ovid

-Ambrose Bierce

The Overmind
Diplomat

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:39 pm

Zetaopalatopia wrote:
The Overmind wrote:

I do not believe there is dignity in the first place, hence why it is in quotes in my statement above. Mentioning dignity at all was a concession I made in hopes to reach a middle ground given we are both on opposite sides of this argument.

For me, a cadaver is a cadaver, not a person, not an individual. A pile of formerly living biomass and nothing more. However I understand that my view point on this is... less than common, so my arguments have been attempts to bridge that gap in the center. Allowing for the living to cede the need for consent of what will become not them, while also allowing those who hold a body after death in the same regard as a living individual for such matters. As no middle ground can be found I reverted to my less compromising stance on the subject.

We will likely never find an agreeable middle ground between our view points.

Yes, as I pointed out a few posts ago, your position is based on your value system. That doesn't mean I'll accept spurious arguments for it.
Free Palestine

Bisofeyr
Envoy

Founded: Nov 26, 2023
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Bisofeyr » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:45 pm

OOC: I get it, having sex with a corpse is not only disgusting, it's utterly immoral. You'll get no disagreement from me there: I'm simply curious why the World Assembly would care.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly