NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Musical Heritage Preservation Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
The Serendipitous
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 18, 2022
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Musical Heritage Preservation Act

Postby The Serendipitous » Mon May 01, 2023 6:14 pm

Whereas music has shown, time and time again, to be among the most enriching forms of heritage amongst people,

And whereas, though previous attempts to preserve this musical heritage were attempted, they were shown to fail and thus repealed,

And whereas it is important to preserve cultural heritage wherever possible, including the lyrical and rhythmic,

Therefore, be it resolved by the World Assembly, with the consent of the nations within, that the following provisions are enacted into law.

1. The Musical Heritage Foundation shall be founded as a subdivision of the World Assembly Central Library Complex, and shall be tasked with the following responsibilities:
    1. Sending requests to nations, foundations, musicians and record labels, and other relevant entities to provide culturally relevant and important music via musical recordings, transcripts, sheet music, and other relevant documents;
    2. Making collected music publicly available to all denizens of the world, via a publicly accessible database, barring any restrictions included in this or other relevant resolutions;
    3. Preserving and archiving all musical documents for posterity, via a publicly accessible database, barring any restrictions included in this or other relevant resolutions.
  2. All World Assembly entities must comply with any requests received from the Musical Heritage Foundation, as outlined in this resolution.
  3. In the event that an artist or record label freely requests for music received from them that falls under a copyright law, the Musical Heritage Foundation shall follow the copyright law which has jurisdiction over that particular entity, with regards to public display and consumption. Any music that falls under this clause shall continue to be archived and stored.
  4. Nations are suggested to invest in the national preservation and restoration of culturally significant music, and grant enriching musical education to the citizenry thereof in order to ensure the creation of new artifacts.
  5. The World Assembly shall play an appropriate playlist of music found in the Musical Heritage Foundation's database, for light background music in all places, not including formal debate chambers or private delegation chambers. On the arrival of a guest or delegation of the World Assembly, the music played shall be the most appropriate cultural tune on record for the relevant guest or delegation.

"Indeed, heritage through music is important. Although the old resolution is inane and, dare I say it, pointless, this should hopefully do a satisfactory job of achieving musical enrichment as replacement of it."
Last edited by The Serendipitous on Thu May 25, 2023 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon May 01, 2023 6:57 pm

Why can this not be extended to all creative arts?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

The Serendipitous
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serendipitous » Sat May 06, 2023 1:38 pm

Tinhampton wrote:Why can this not be extended to all creative arts?

OOC: It can. If there is an expressed interest from others in a slight expansion of this, I will see to it.

I am also exploring potential avenues to make this not reliant on a committee, so as to further reduce WA expense; the reduction of bureaucracy should already be apparent in this bill, but I do believe that not burdening the WA is the ideal scenario.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jun 23, 2022
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The Ice States » Sun May 07, 2023 1:43 pm

The Serendipitous wrote:Sending requests to nations, foundations, musicians and record labels, and other relevant entities to provided culturally relevant and important music via musical recordings, transcripts, sheet music, and other relevant documents;

Is the bolded word meant to say "provide", instead of "provided"?

Making collected music publicly available to all denizens of the world;

I think it is worth stating the mechanism by which this would happen -- for example creating a library or whatever containing the collected music.

Preserving and archiving all musical documents for posterity.

Same as above.

All World Assembly entities must comply with any requests received by the Musical Heritage Foundation, as outlined in this resolution.

Is "by" meant to say "from" here?

Good luck!
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Posts in the WA forums are Ooc and unofficial, absent indication otherwise.
Please check out my roleplay thread The Battle of Glass Tears!
WA 101 Guides to GA authorship, campaigning, and more.

The Serendipitous
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serendipitous » Thu May 25, 2023 9:12 pm

The Ice States wrote:
The Serendipitous wrote:Sending requests to nations, foundations, musicians and record labels, and other relevant entities to provided culturally relevant and important music via musical recordings, transcripts, sheet music, and other relevant documents;

Is the bolded word meant to say "provide", instead of "provided"?

Making collected music publicly available to all denizens of the world;

I think it is worth stating the mechanism by which this would happen -- for example creating a library or whatever containing the collected music.

Preserving and archiving all musical documents for posterity.

Same as above.

All World Assembly entities must comply with any requests received by the Musical Heritage Foundation, as outlined in this resolution.

Is "by" meant to say "from" here?

Good luck!

All have been fixed.

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2019
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Simone Republic » Sun May 28, 2023 4:26 am

(OOC)

Point 5 I think you mean "World Assembly Headquarters" as that is the term defined in GA#8 for the campus of the Assembly.

(IC)

Are we supposed to be playing elevator music in such depraved places as the Strangers Bar or the Three Walled Bar?

In character, I am opposed to the replacement because it mandates playing light background music inside the World Assembly Headquarters, which is defined by GA#8 as filled with "drunks, stoners, weirdos, military fruitcakes, sex addicts, rejects, dear little kiddies, honest family types and militant machistas", so it would drown out the sound of gunfire, nuclear explosions, drunken fights and whatever else in that depraved lunatic asylum I call home.
Last edited by Simone Republic on Sun May 28, 2023 6:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

Return to General Assembly