NATION

PASSWORD

[IGNORE] Work Visa Standards Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Chipoli
Envoy

Founded: Mar 16, 2022
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[IGNORE] Work Visa Standards Act

Postby Chipoli » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:17 pm

"We present our latest creation."

Work Visa Standards Act
Category: Civil Rights || Strength: Mild

The World Assembly,

Believing that work visas which need the agreement of a worker's existing employer effectively tie workers to the mercy of their employers due to their limitations,

Concerned that tying a worker to a certain employer produces a clearly unjust situation in which the worker, is coerced into accepting inadequate and dangerous conditions due to the potential of their country of residence to remove them at will,

Noting that a person who is not a citizen of their country of residence is at a higher risk of exploitation and mistreatment than a person who is a citizen,

Hereby enacts the following:

1. Defines “visa” as a document issued by a representative of a nation allowing the passport bearer to enter, travel through, or live in that country for a specific time period. Member nations are not prohibited from imposing time limits on the validity of specific visas.

2. Defines “Visa worker” as a person who is employed in a certain nation due to a work visa and resides in it.

3. Visa workers are permitted to change employment and employers or otherwise leave that member nation, regardless of whether their current or prior employer approves of it.

4. Each member nation must permit any visa worker to remain in their country regardless of whether the worker had their contract terminated from their employer, or expressed interest in doing so.
a. Visa workers are exempt from section 3 if they no longer wish to seek employment in the country.

5. Visa workers are permitted a period of time to seek new employment in the member nation, which should be equal to the time it would take a native worker in a similar situation to find employment.

Edit: Should have looked more closely at the passed GA Resolutions
Last edited by Chipoli on Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
Vice Delegate of The North Pacific

All my comments represent my views and my views only unless otherwise indicated.

Chipoli
Envoy

Postby Chipoli » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:17 pm

Reserved for future drafts.

All my comments represent my views and my views only unless otherwise indicated.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:41 pm

Does Article 4 mean Joe from Tinhampton can get a job working as a barber in Chipoli, resign after thirty minutes on the job and be allowed to stay in Chipoli forever?

Also: How is this Strong strength? It only affects workers in the country on a visa - hardly a broad area of policy. This is a relatively small section of most IRL economies that aren't on the Arabian Peninsula: natives (both with and without jobs) are far more common. (Don't forget tourists, either.)
Last edited by Tinhampton on Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Chipoli
Envoy

Postby Chipoli » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:07 pm

Tinhampton wrote:Does Article 4 mean Joe from Tinhampton can get a job working as a barber in Chipoli, resign after thirty minutes on the job and be allowed to stay in Chipoli forever?

Also: How is this Strong strength? It only affects workers in the country on a visa - hardly a broad area of policy. This is a relatively small section of most IRL economies that aren't on the Arabian Peninsula: natives (both with and without jobs) are far more common. (Don't forget tourists, either.)

Clause 4a states that if someone loses/resigns from their job, they are exempt from clause 4 and CANNOT stay forever.

Strength changed to Mild.

Hulldom
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Hulldom » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:21 pm

...And I feel like I'm clinging to a cloud!

Return to General Assembly