NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEAT] The Rights, Wrongs, Duties, and Powers of WA States

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

[DEFEAT] The Rights, Wrongs, Duties, and Powers of WA States

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:15 am

Rights, Wrongs, Duties, and Powers of WA States

Category: Political Stability | Strength: Strong

The General Assembly, through the democratic agreement of its Member States and the Delegates thereof, operating through all the months of the calendric year,

ACKNOWLEDGING both the urgency with which GA #2: Rights and Duties of WA States was collated into a draft, following the catastrophic, unexpected, and inexplicable consequences of an interdimensional fireball colliding with international law, as referenced in GA #1: The World Assembly, and the various flaws in GA #2 which necessitated a repeal in GA #367: Repeal “Rights and Duties of WA states”;

BELIEVING that the General Assembly has advanced greatly in the years since GA #2 was passed, from tackling such topics as the right to a fair trial, to focusing on such issues as access to comfortable pillows, from being controlled by a narrow group of elites, to being controlled by a slightly different, perhaps more likeable, narrow group of elites, and that this change requires new legislation to address the basis of the relationship between the General Assembly and its members;

KNOWING that it is the responsibility of the international community to work together to improve the world, one resolution at a time;

Therefore SUBMITS the following as statements, prescriptive and descriptive, of determined and certain veracity:

1. Membership of the General Assembly is and ought to be entirely voluntary, for it is by this fact that the power of the General Assembly is justified. It is an agreement into which nations enter by choice, for a variety of reasons, out of their own freedom and sovereignty.

2. When a nation joins the General Assembly, it delegates some of its freedom to make legislative decisions to the international community. There is a duty for nations to release this power, and there is a correspondent right for nations to vote on which proposals become international law.

3. The General Assembly is a multiversal, international, hyperplanar collection of diverse, wonderful, and exciting countries. Each one has unique and sometimes challenging political needs, which can be addressed through collective, binding action which works with, rather than against, this astonishing diversity.

Hence, by the suzerain power bestowed upon it by the voluntary union of all its constituent states, and through the majoritarian vote of the delegates of those assembled nations, the General Assembly DECLARES the following:

1. Member nations have the freedom to determine their own affairs, including the joining of binding international treaties, within the limitations of the law of the General Assembly.

2. Every member nation has choice of its own system of government, of its own borders, and of its own legislation, within the boundaries of international law to which it is signatory, and the law of the General Assembly.

3. All member nations shall be regarded as equal under the law of the General Assembly, such that no resolution shall bind some but not others, and such that no resolution shall expel a member nation from the Assembly.

4. Likewise, member nations are entitled to a basic level of respect in their international affairs. Member nations ought to treat one another in this respectful manner, and they have a consequent right not to be subject to arbitrary, capricious, and unnecessary fines, embargoes, and sanctions.

5. Each member nation shall therefore refrain from the use of physical or military force against other member nations, except for an extraordinarily compelling cause declared clearly and openly, and subject to the restraints and controls set by the General Assembly.

However, these rights carry therewith correspondent duties:

6. Each member nation must, to the absolute best of its ability, in complete good faith, and without any preventable delay, fully comply with all extant legislation of the General Assembly.

7. All member nations must recognise the supremacy of the law of the General Assembly over all their national and subnational law, regardless of the type or nature of that law. Furthermore, the law of the General Assembly shall be regarded by member nations as supreme over all other bodies of law that may otherwise be deemed to affect those nations.

8. Member nations are urged to advocate membership of the General Assembly to their allies, where those allies are not members of the General Assembly.

The General Assembly has a unique role in ensuring that the principles of international cooperation are maintained:

9. All legislation of the General Assembly shall be carefully and thoroughly drafted, with due attention to such principles as clearly categorising legislation by its scope, creating binding demands only upon its members, and ensuring that its resolutions are neither contradictory nor duplicatory.

10. The General Assembly shall have the power to enforce compliance with its mandates through such measures as fines, embargoes, and sanctions.

11. Where and to the extent mandated by extant resolutions, the General Assembly shall have the ability to delegate its powers, responsibilities, and duties to committees.

12. Legislation shall be clearly and openly promulgated. No member nation shall have to comply, nor be punished for failing to comply, with legislation which is not yet or which is no longer in force.

Be this founding law enacted by the Assembly of Worlds, according to the democratic principles by which its legitimacy is upheld.

Lewitt stands to the podium, presenting a draft, neatly-typed out on aged paper. “Here is my proposal for a replacement to GA #002. I feel as though it is better keeping with the spirit of what the World Assembly is now. There are plans for me to introduce relevant hyperlinks to the online version of the draft, as soon as I determine how that works on this system. It’s rather far from the Kenmorian internet, I’m afraid.” He emails, and hands out, the version to the various ambassadors assembled. “I am very much uncertain about my prohibition of a WA military. Guidance would be appreciated here.”

(OOC: This leans fairly heavily on the rules in places, so I’m not certain about whether this is completely legal. Following the new ruling on roleplay being allowed, reference to Violet should be, but some elements of this do refer plainly to the actual ruleset, albeit in in-character language. Guidance on this would also be appreciated. Also, this is clearly a humorous draft. The merits of that are perhaps debatable.)
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:18 pm, edited 61 times in total.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Jedinsto
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedinsto » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:26 am

Ray DuBois enters the building due to the newly arisen controversy and to oversee the passing of his proposals. He reads the draft with a smile on his face.

“I like this; I like this a lot.”

OOC: Requiring drafts to be fully drafted is an interesting idea and I actually like it.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:31 am

"I support this proposed replacement." Adelia declares. "C-can I, uh, refer back to it when people ask me what happened to Ambassador Bell's replacement, and why there isn't one?"
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Starman of Stardust
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 29, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Starman of Stardust » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:55 am

"While we would have preferred our own replacement, we support this."
IC name: The Democratic Stellar Union. My main nation is The Ice States.

President: Hyo Joslyn
World Assembly Ambassador: Hayden Stubbe

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:22 pm

What is "a member nation’s no territory?"

Why is the final sentence of Article 6 necessary? If WA law overrides domestic law, domestic law need not be explicitly changed to recognise WA law's superiority. (Some American states still have constitutional bans on same-sex marriage.)
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

The Serendipitous
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 18, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serendipitous » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:30 pm

The pearl-white blob rolls into the room, and begins speaking in its awful, off-kilter voice.

"We are the most amenable to this replacement, should Ambassador Bell's not pan out. We are, however, concerned about the future efficacy of the World Assembly and her mandates should a ban on a "World Assembly Army" stand. We would encourage the honorable Mr. Lewitt to detach this clause from this bill and to cover it more thoroughly in another, future bill. If the delegate would like to reach out, we can collaborate on creating a more sufficient resolution on the potential military forces of the World Assembly, so as to not soil this bill later down the line when the members of this Assembly deem it necessary to impose a military force."

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:13 pm

Jedinsto wrote:Ray DuBois enters the building due to the newly arisen controversy and to oversee the passing of his proposals. He reads the draft with a smile on his face.

“I like this; I like this a lot.”

OOC: Requiring drafts to be fully drafted is an interesting idea and I actually like it.

“Thank you, Ambassador. I’m glad it’s receiving some support.”

(OOC: It’s utterly unenforceable, but it is a nice tool with which to argue against cold-posted proposals, not that all of them are necessarily bad.)

Excidium Planetis wrote:"I support this proposed replacement." Adelia declares. "C-can I, uh, refer back to it when people ask me what happened to Ambassador Bell's replacement, and why there isn't one?"

“Thank you for your support, Ambassador. You certainly can do so. Ambassador Bell, I am sure, would have submitted a draft of equal or better quality.”

Starman of Stardust wrote:"While we would have preferred our own replacement, we support this."

“Thank you, Ambassador. I would also support your replacement, were it to come to vote. This is a different take on the issue, but one meant with full respect: your interpretation is just as supportable in my eyes.”

Tinhampton wrote:What is "a member nation’s no territory?"

Why is the final sentence of Article 6 necessary? If WA law overrides domestic law, domestic law need not be explicitly changed to recognise WA law's superiority. (Some American states still have constitutional bans on same-sex marriage.)

(OOC: That was a typo, which I will address; thank you for pointing it out. The final sentence of article 6 was intended as a measure to make it absolutely clear that domestic law cannot supersede GA law, but I can see that it does preclude situations such as that in America, which are entirely valid. I will rework or remove that sentence.)

The Serendipitous wrote:The pearl-white blob rolls into the room, and begins speaking in its awful, off-kilter voice.

"We are the most amenable to this replacement, should Ambassador Bell's not pan out. We are, however, concerned about the future efficacy of the World Assembly and her mandates should a ban on a "World Assembly Army" stand. We would encourage the honorable Mr. Lewitt to detach this clause from this bill and to cover it more thoroughly in another, future bill. If the delegate would like to reach out, we can collaborate on creating a more sufficient resolution on the potential military forces of the World Assembly, so as to not soil this bill later down the line when the members of this Assembly deem it necessary to impose a military force."

“It was a point of some contention indeed.” Lewitt responded, uncertain of where to look in the blob, and simply looking in its general direction. “I will take comments from other delegations. If the lack of a ban on GA military activities represents a hurdle to getting this passed at all, it will have to remain. If, however, other delegations are willing to allow a later proposal to tackle this issue, then I will remove that clause.”
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:16 pm

Okay, we've got rights. We've got lefts. What about the wrongs? Everyone always ignores the wrongs. WA states do wrongs all the time and this must be recognised in this title. Fuck the character limit, we need true representation in here.

As to the rest of this, support, I guess. But that title. I think we need to focus on the title. Such a grandiose resolution surely needs a grand title to fit! And one that understands that even the most pure and to-the-letter complying nations have their wrongs as well as their rights, lefts, duties, off duties, freedoms, expensivedoms, etc

-Benji
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:20 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:Okay, we've got rights. We've got lefts. What about the wrongs? Everyone always ignores the wrongs. WA states do wrongs all the time and this must be recognised in this title. Fuck the character limit, we need true representation in here.

As to the rest of this, support, I guess. But that title. I think we need to focus on the title. Such a grandiose resolution surely needs a grand title to fit! And one that understands that even the most pure and to-the-letter complying nations have their wrongs as well as their rights, lefts, duties, off duties, freedoms, expensivedoms, etc

-Benji

Lewitt smiles. “Never! Never! Never!” He bangs the table a few times. “The General Assembly might well acknowledge the right and the left, but never shall it acknowledge the wrong. I strive for a better, a fairer, a kinder world, one where the member nations are inspired by their rights and lefts and nothing else besides. It is not merely the duty of the GA to recognise the world as it is, with all its flaws and imperfections, but to change it. For that reason, in this constitutional document of documents, I will categorically refuse to include the wrong. If your nation wishes to include its wrongs in its most basic of laws, it can do so, but the GA shall… never… stoop so low!”
Last edited by Kenmoria on Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are he/him.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:27 pm

Dee wanders in, with arms full of what appear to be yet more drafts of potential replacements, possibly scribbled on napkins and over children’s drawings. She looks up.

“Well grop, everyone is making one of these all of sudden.”

She sits down, rifles through her papers before dumping the whole lot into a nearby garbage can with a match.

“Well, seeing as you’ve unfortunately covered everything I had thought of, I’m left with only my criticisms of your otherwise (she shudders) excellent draft. Principally, I would agree with what my spybots now tell me that blob over there said regarding the hypothetical military. Whatever the nature of future activity in that area, I agree that it would be better covered in rather more detail in a proposal and future resolution all its own. Any military can’t exist without authorization regardless, so no clause in this one would hardly impact member nations whatever the final result.”

Dee glances down at the draft

“Also, writing out the GA resolutions with extra zeroes in the front looks garish, I’d suggest just the singular number for them.”

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:10 pm

"Opposed. Section 7 is an attempt to force the people's democracies to permit fascism and all its evils. We note that there are areas in which have been explicitly addressed by international law where member states are either permitted to or obliged to not fully uphold and enforce universal civil rights, for example under the CPP exception in GAR#35, and other provisions in GAR#141, GAR#235 and GAR#498 for example."
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Heidgaudr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Heidgaudr » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:22 pm

Amb. Asgeir Trelstad: "An excellent draft, Ambassador Lewitt. We are happy to support this replacement of GA#2 which we see to be of approximately equal quality as the afore-mentioned draft from the Separatist Peoples' delegation. Firstly, we have a few stylistic suggestions for the preamble for you to duly consider and modify at your discretion."

Kenmoria wrote:ACKNOWLEDGING the urgency with which GA #002: Rights and Duties of WA States was drafted, following the catastrophic, unexpected, and inexplicable events referenced in GA #001: The World Assembly;

Amb. Asgeir Trelstad: "It may read a little better to explicitly reference the text of GA#1 instead of just referring to the resolution. For example:

[..] following the colossal fireball of extra-dimensional inanity which consumed the predecessor organization;

Kenmoria wrote:Hence, by the power bestowed upon it by almighty Violet, praise be, and in defiance of the less mighty waves of orcs, the General Assembly DECLARES the following:

Amb. Asgeir Trelstad: "While hardly egregious, having several 'of's in a row can feel a little clunky. I'd instead replace 'of the less mighty waves of orcs' to 'of the less mighty orcish hordes'."

Kenmoria wrote:“I am very much uncertain about my prohibition of a WA military. Guidance would be appreciated here.”

Amb. Asgeir Trelstad: "I believe the matter of the WA military to be of significant enough importance to deserve its own separate proposal. Besides, from a pragmatic viewpoint, there's a fair amount of contention on whether the WA should have a military and so an inclusion in this proposal would likely hurt it more than it would help."

Lord Dominator wrote:“Also, writing out the GA resolutions with extra zeroes in the front looks garish, I’d suggest just the singular number for them.”

Amb. Asgeir Trelstad: "I agree. Leading zeros make sense for computer programs that automatically sort things alphabetically, but otherwise generally look strange and distracting."

Bananaistan wrote:"Opposed. Section 7 is an attempt to force the people's democracies to permit fascism and all its evils. We note that there are areas in which have been explicitly addressed by international law where member states are either permitted to or obliged to not fully uphold and enforce universal civil rights, for example under the CPP exception in GAR#35, and other provisions in GAR#141, GAR#235 and GAR#498 for example."

Amb. Asgeir Trelstad: "An understandable viewpoint, but it's difficult to enforce most fascist policies while a member of the World Assembly, so I don't think it's enough of an issue to oppose this replacement. If anything, it's an argument to repeal and replace some of the resolutions you quoted."
Last edited by Heidgaudr on Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC comments are from Amb. Asgeir Trelstad unless otherwise stated.
Factbooks: WA Staff | WA Agenda | Government | Religion | Demographics
Resolutions authored: GA#629, GA#638, GA#650

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:09 pm

This is a good draft, but it does glaringly fail to address war which GA#2 does, and article 7 is a pretty compromising article that cannot be included while it remains in such a vague form.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:57 pm

Comfed wrote:This is a good draft, but it does glaringly fail to address war which GA#2 does, and article 7 is a pretty compromising article that cannot be included while it remains in such a vague form.

"A replacement for GA#2 should not address war. War is best left to other resolutions, uh, as we have been addressing it in other resolutions since the time of GA#2."
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:25 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:Dee wanders in, with arms full of what appear to be yet more drafts of potential replacements, possibly scribbled on napkins and over children’s drawings. She looks up.

“Well grop, everyone is making one of these all of sudden.”

She sits down, rifles through her papers before dumping the whole lot into a nearby garbage can with a match.

“Well, seeing as you’ve unfortunately covered everything I had thought of, I’m left with only my criticisms of your otherwise (she shudders) excellent draft. Principally, I would agree with what my spybots now tell me that blob over there said regarding the hypothetical military. Whatever the nature of future activity in that area, I agree that it would be better covered in rather more detail in a proposal and future resolution all its own. Any military can’t exist without authorization regardless, so no clause in this one would hardly impact member nations whatever the final result.”

Dee glances down at the draft

“Also, writing out the GA resolutions with extra zeroes in the front looks garish, I’d suggest just the singular number for them.”

“It seems as though the clause about military intervention is just as controversial as I feared.” Half-sighing, half-frowning, Lewitt interlaces his finger in a gesture of secular prayer. “It is a very difficult issue. On the one hand, were it to be possible, I would very much like for the World Assembly to spread peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.” Where had he heard that previously? “However, the idea of doing so might be wholly distasteful to many nations, a large fraction of whom might vote against any replacement that does not replace, exactly, the approach GA #002 took.” He unlaces his fingers, evidently deep in thought.

“On reflection, I suppose that leaving it for another resolution would not be too bad. I might limit the World Assembly, provisionally, from perusing any expansionist military goals, or any military goals in pursuit of material resources. However, perhaps a direct ban on a standing army would be better left to another resolution. Or, indeed, this might not be enacted at all.” His brow unfurrows, and he looks back to the delegation. “Thank you, Ambassador Dee. Incidentally, I take your point about the leading zeroes. I like them, but it seems as though other delegations do not.”

Bananaistan wrote:"Opposed. Section 7 is an attempt to force the people's democracies to permit fascism and all its evils. We note that there are areas in which have been explicitly addressed by international law where member states are either permitted to or obliged to not fully uphold and enforce universal civil rights, for example under the CPP exception in GAR#35, and other provisions in GAR#141, GAR#235 and GAR#498 for example."

“I think that this very much depends on your conception of universal civil rights.” Lewitt responds. “Bananistan, I assume, would not simultaneously regard it as a universal civil right to have freedom of speech even where this speech is of a hateful nature. There is a reason that I did not delineate specific rights, nor define the term. This is not a legalistic mandate, for that would be far beyond the scope of this proposal. Rather, it is a statement of commitment. Only egregious, uncontroversial violations, such as slavery, would be prohibited by such a mandate.”

Heidgaudr wrote:Amb. Asgeir Trelstad: "An excellent draft, Ambassador Lewitt. We are happy to support this replacement of GA#2 which we see to be of approximately equal quality as the afore-mentioned draft from the Separatist Peoples' delegation. Firstly, we have a few stylistic suggestions for the preamble for you to duly consider and modify at your discretion."

“Thank you for your kind words, Ambassador Trelstad. Stylistic suggestions are the best kind. They make this job even more enjoyable than it otherwise is.” The expression that crosses Lewitt’s face is difficult to identify.

Kenmoria wrote:ACKNOWLEDGING the urgency with which GA #002: Rights and Duties of WA States was drafted, following the catastrophic, unexpected, and inexplicable events referenced in GA #001: The World Assembly;

Amb. Asgeir Trelstad: "It may read a little better to explicitly reference the text of GA#1 instead of just referring to the resolution. For example:

[..] following the colossal fireball of extra-dimensional inanity which consumed the predecessor organization;

“Now that you mention it, that would be more direct. I will include wording to that effect.”

(OOC: I remember thinking that there would be issues of legality with that. However, on second thought, I don’t see why. It’s not exactly a reference to real-life.)

Kenmoria wrote:Hence, by the power bestowed upon it by almighty Violet, praise be, and in defiance of the less mighty waves of orcs, the General Assembly DECLARES the following:

Amb. Asgeir Trelstad: "While hardly egregious, having several 'of's in a row can feel a little clunky. I'd instead replace 'of the less mighty waves of orcs' to 'of the less mighty orcish hordes'."

“Certainly, that wording seems to be very much usable, and it is less repetitive than my own.”

Kenmoria wrote:“I am very much uncertain about my prohibition of a WA military. Guidance would be appreciated here.”

Amb. Asgeir Trelstad: "I believe the matter of the WA military to be of significant enough importance to deserve its own separate proposal. Besides, from a pragmatic viewpoint, there's a fair amount of contention on whether the WA should have a military and so an inclusion in this proposal would likely hurt it more than it would help."

Lord Dominator wrote:“Also, writing out the GA resolutions with extra zeroes in the front looks garish, I’d suggest just the singular number for them.”

Amb. Asgeir Trelstad: "I agree. Leading zeros make sense for computer programs that automatically sort things alphabetically, but otherwise generally look strange and distracting."

“Where you have concurred with other delegations speaking, I likewise agree.”

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Comfed wrote:This is a good draft, but it does glaringly fail to address war which GA#2 does, and article 7 is a pretty compromising article that cannot be included while it remains in such a vague form.

"A replacement for GA#2 should not address war. War is best left to other resolutions, uh, as we have been addressing it in other resolutions since the time of GA#2."

“I concur with the delegation for Excidium Planetis. Aside from very vague provisions, the General Assembly cannot handle war, along with the reestablishment of the basic principles of the GA, within one proposal.” Lewitt responds, seemingly rather pleased. This was going better than he expected. There were a few changes to be made, but nothing was glaringly incorrect. “Article 7 is admittedly vague, but that was, to an extent, intentional. A lot of this is less mandate and more constitutional principle. However, I can see what I can do about making this more concrete, hopefully to also alleviate the concerns of the delegation from Bananaistan.”

Lewitt leapt into action, grabbing his purple pen, and beginning to make changes to the draft. Only a few additions, here and there, they would be sufficient. It took him a while to realise that the primary copy of the draft was on the WAHQ’s intranet. Begrudgingly, he took out his tablet, making a few adjustments on there. It was far less enjoyable to be typing than to be scrawling, though he did admit of the benefits for legibility. He had almost finished, when he heard a muffled sound from his radio.

That was strange. Lewitt had been on shaky terms with the Kenmorian government previously. When he had broken into Parliament to force Kenmoria to join the World Assembly, so that he could submit his short-lived repeal of GA #632, he had thought that the Prime Minister’s furious response was evidence enough that any more calls from the radio would be notifications of his arrest. Who was it? He took a look, still making the final adjustments to the draft. Oh, it was an internal call. Well, that made sense. Of course, it couldn’t have been from Kenmoria. He didn’t know why he had ever thought that. “Cooperation is an interesting idea.” He muttered to himself.

Having made the changes to the draft, half-absentmindedly, Lewitt looked to the room. “I’ve made a few edits. Any further feedback is welcome.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:10 am

Lewitt leaves, speaking quickly and softly into a radio. He sounds excited, though this is hidden under a diplomatic demeanour. A few minutes later, he has returned. “I am pleased to announce that I am cooperating with the delegation from the Democratic Stellar Union, operating from Magecastle Embassy Building A5. My draft has therefore removed all mention of military matters, with the DSU’s far more capable hands drafting a proposal specifically about that: a War Charter for Member Nations.” He makes a few hurried adjustments on his tablet. “This proposal shall focus solely on the fundamental rights and duties, and lefts and freedoms, of member nations.”
Last edited by Kenmoria on Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are he/him.

Starman of Stardust
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 29, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Starman of Stardust » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:35 pm

"I will fax alterations to this proposal's preamble to your mission's office shortly."
  1. Membership of the General Assembly is voluntary. It is an agreement into which nations enter, for a variety of reasons -- some justifiable, others less so -- out of their own freedom and sovereignty.

2. The General Assembly is a multiversal, international, hyperplanar union of diverse, wonderful, and exciting member nations. Each one has unique and sometimes challenging political needs, which can be addressed through collective action which encourages, rather than works against, this astonishing diversity.

3. It is the responsibility of the international community to work together to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Hence, by the power bestowed upon it by almighty Violet (praise be) and in defiance of the far less mighty, yet goblinoid, orcish hordes, the General Assembly DECLARES the following:

All member nations shall be regarded as equal under the law of the General Assembly, such that no resolution shall affect some but not others, and such that no resolution shall expel a member nation from the Assembly.

"We do find that the final part of this is unnecessary -- the Secretariat already enforces a policy that the World Assembly cannot expel any nation from the World Assembly. We also believe that clearer wording could be used as to what 'affecting some nations but not others' constitutes, such as changing 'affect' to 'bind' or similar language."

[*]Member nations must comply, in good faith and to the very best of their ability, with all extant legislation of the General Assembly. This compliance must be undertaken without any delay, and with application to all areas of a member nation’s territory.

[*]Thus, member nations must recognise the supremacy of the law of the General Assembly over their domestic law, even where that domestic law is of constitutional status. Where domestic law and the law of the General Assembly contradict, the latter must overrule the former.

"Both of these seem unnecessarily verbose -- I have, likewise, faxed to your office simpler wording which we believe could be used to replace this."

[*]Each member nation must, to the best of its ability, in good faith, and without undue delay, fully comply with all extant legislation of the World Assembly.

[*]No national or subnational law in a member nation may be invoked as reason for failure to comply with the above duty. Further, World Assembly law shall take precedence over any other international law binding a member nation.

Even where concerning matters not explicitly addressed by the law of the General Assembly, member nations must consider universal civil rights to be a guiding principle when passing domestic legislation.

"Why is this necessary? What are 'universal civil rights'? We strongly believe that this mandate should be removed, as it seems to accomplish very little."

All legislation of the General Assembly shall be carefully and thoroughly drafted, with due attention to such principles as clearly categorising legislation by its scope, creating demands only upon its members, and ensuring that its resolutions are neither contradictory nor duplicatory.

"We strongly support the former mandate. Yet, the second mandate does seem redundant as it is already enforced by the Secretariat. 'Duplicatory' is also not an existing word; the correct term is 'duplicative'."

The General Assembly shall have the power to enforce compliance with its mandates through fines, embargoes, sanctions, and other such measures.

"I have, likewise, faxed an alteration to this mandate to your mission's office."

The World Assembly shall have the ability to directly or indirectly enforce compliance with its mandates, including through measures such as fines, embargoes, and sanctions.
Last edited by Starman of Stardust on Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IC name: The Democratic Stellar Union. My main nation is The Ice States.

President: Hyo Joslyn
World Assembly Ambassador: Hayden Stubbe

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:50 pm

Article 7 is a deal breaker I am afraid. The WA should use the lightest touch possible and article 7 is a sledgehammer.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:03 am

"Article 4 is unacceptable. Either remove the words 'arbitrary, capricious, and unnecessary,' or remove 'except where authorised by international law.' The mere fact of international agreement does not render an arbitrary fee magically just, and the World Assembly should not consider that it has the right to impose capricious sanctions on its member states. We prefer the second removal, but the first would just barely suffice."

"Also, we are unclear on the reasons why sometimes this draft says 'World Assembly' and at others 'General Assembly' - since the World Assembly does indeed aspire to generality, I suppose this wording isn't completely ludicrous, but there is no reason not to call the body by its proper name: the World Assembly. Though 'Assembly of Worlds' is acceptable, I guess."

OOC: I would also renumber the guiding principles at the start, say as I-II-III, just to remove all possible confusion with the numbered operative clauses.

And while I wouldn't mark this illegal for merely leaving open the possibility that a whole separate WA chamber might exist, I do think the RP works better if the WA is the WA.
Last edited by Sierra Lyricalia on Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:30 am

I concur with Wayne.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

The Orwell Society
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Orwell Society » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:59 pm

Support, if you take care of article 4
The Orwell Society
Straight Male | Political Alignment: Centrist leaning conservative | NSGP Alignment: Independent | Proud Wellspringer, join The Wellspring today!

A vision without action is just a daydream

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:27 pm

“I thank all the Ambassadors for their feedback. I had planned to respond to every delegation separately but, considering the amount of responses, for which I am grateful, I will do so collectively instead. It is clear that Articles 4 and 7 are rather unpopular. Article 4 is one where I concur that I should have worded it better. Personally, I enjoy the general nature of Article 7. However, the General Assembly is a democracy, so I will acquiesce to popular demand. The Article will be removed, or else replaced with something fundamentally different. As for the remainder of the feedback, that will all be addressed in the next draft.”

(OOC: Responding specifically to SL’s point about implying that there is more than one chamber of the WA, I had planned to find some way of sneakily referencing the Security Council. However, I could find no legal way of doing so, and the resultant mixture of referencing worked better in my head than on paper. I think that I will stick to just mentioning the General Assembly.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:16 pm

“I have tightened the wording in places, and changed some minor details of the wording around. The references to a World Assembly and to a General Assembly have been unified, in favour of the latter term, solely from personal preference. There is one reference to the ‘Assembly of Worlds’ remaining, which is a reference to GA #002. I have also altered Article 4, and I have - reluctantly I must add - removed Article 7 in its entirety.”
My pronouns are he/him.

New Xenopolis
Secretary

Founded: Dec 02, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby New Xenopolis » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:50 am

Full support!

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:15 pm

“I thank the ambassador for New Xenopolis for the ambassador’s support. As soon as the repeal of GA #002: Rights and Duties of WA States passes, assuming that it does pass, this will be submitted.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives