NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Repeal Freedom of Association

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Corporate Police State

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:07 pm

Hulldom wrote:I think you’re missing something sort of key here: it did fill a niche that hadn’t been dealt with before in WA law. Freedom of assembly, which had been guaranteed, ≠freedom of association.

"We would concur with this. We would also find that the objection against the resolution's exception being limited to criminal law is inadequate -- could a member nation not simply make defamation a crime, for example, as done in the Ice States?"

"However, we have no other objections to the content at this time."

~Spencer Hemming,
World Assembly Ambassador,
The Empire of The Ice States
Last edited by Magecastle Embassy Building A5 on Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WA authorship.
Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Our research and user feedback found different use cases of bullets, such as hunting, national defense, and murder. Typically, most bullets fired do not kill people. However, sometimes they do. We found that nearly 100% of users were not impacted by shooting one random user every 30 days, reducing the likelihood of a negative impact on the average user.
Comfed wrote:When I look around me at the state of real life politics, with culture war arguments over abortion and LGBT rights, and then I look at the WA and see the same debates about cannibalism, I have hope for the world.

The Serendipitous
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 18, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serendipitous » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:13 pm

Hulldom wrote:I think you’re missing something sort of key here: it did fill a niche that hadn’t been dealt with before in WA law. Freedom of assembly, which had been guaranteed, ≠freedom of association.

OOC:

If you can demonstrate an example where the protections afforded in 436 and 537 are not sufficient, I will write a replacement.

The Serendipitous
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serendipitous » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:14 pm

Magecastle Embassy Building A5 wrote:

"We would concur with this. We would also find that the objection against the resolution's exception being limited to criminal law is inadequate -- could a member nation not simply make defamation a crime, for example, as done in the Ice States?"

"However, we have no other objections to the content at this time."

~Spencer Hemming,
The Empire of The Ice States

"As an entity without written law, perhaps we are not the aptest to answer this. However, we believe there to be many reasons to differentiate civil and criminal law."

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:58 pm

“Could another ambassador clarify what GA #550 does that GA #436 and GA #537 did not accomplish? I am feeling uncertain about that point, not being able to remember well the passage of any of those three. On this draft, you are missing the word ‘which’ after ‘national scale’ in subclause ‘a’ of the third clause.”
Last edited by Kenmoria on Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

The Serendipitous
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serendipitous » Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:26 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“Could another ambassador clarify what GA #550 does that GA #436 and GA #537 did not accomplish? I am feeling uncertain about that point, not being able to remember well the passage of any of those three. On this draft, you are missing the word ‘which’ after ‘national scale’ in subclause ‘a’ of the third clause.”

OOC: I don't think the change was strictly needed but I have made it to improve the flow.

I have placed a draft for potential replacement on the drafting floor to get potential feedback. Given the above point, I am still not sure that such a resolution is needed, but seeing enough people come out in support of one has at least led me to place one up for consideration.

The Serendipitous
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serendipitous » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:55 pm

OOC: I have slightly amended the penultimate point for repeal, to better make way for my proposed replacement.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jun 23, 2022
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The Ice States » Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:45 pm

"We believe the target's largest flaw should also be mentioned -- remaining entirely unclear on what constitutes 'actively undermin[ing] national security'. Would, for example, reporting on something that could incite civil rebellion be considered undermining national security? As an example of this, my revelation of certain activities by the former Ice government resulted in mass civil upheaval in the Ice States. Even if a claim of national security reasons is bona fide, there are many borderline cases that certainly necessitate clear standards on what constitutes undermining national security."

The Serendipitous wrote:"As an entity without written law, perhaps we are not the aptest to answer this. However, we believe there to be many reasons to differentiate civil and criminal law."

"While, uh, I do not speak for my predecessor-ish, the issue is that the target's exemption specifically allows only 'criminal penalties', and civil penalties would colourably not be governments prohibiting citizens from 'associat[ing] with any organisation of their choosing', but rather citizens or other legal persons prohibiting as such. Enforcing criminal penalties for civil law is problematic; if a nation wants to enforce criminal penalties for 'mass defamation of opponents', it may make defamation a crime (as was in the previous regime in the Ice States), or only allow civil penalties for association with such a group."

"All in all, we find that the particular argument as to civil law ought to be removed. There is already a sufficient case with the national criminal law and security arguments, the issue with ambiguity on national security and hate, and the conflict of interest sections, to argue for a repeal of the target."

~Alexander Nicholas Saverchenko-Colleti,
The Communal Union of the Ice States.
Last edited by The Ice States on Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Posts in the WA forums are Ooc and unofficial, absent indication otherwise.
Please check out my roleplay thread The Battle of Glass Tears!
WA 101 Guides to GA authorship, campaigning, and more.

The Serendipitous
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serendipitous » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:12 pm

The Ice States wrote:"We believe the target's largest flaw should also be mentioned -- remaining entirely unclear on what constitutes 'actively undermin[ing] national security'. Would, for example, reporting on something that could incite civil rebellion be considered undermining national security? As an example of this, my revelation of certain activities by the former Ice government resulted in mass civil upheaval in the Ice States. Even if a claim of national security reasons is bona fide, there are many borderline cases that certainly necessitate clear standards on what constitutes undermining national security."

"We appreciate the delegate's stance on this, but it is not realistic law to outline every possible instance of national security. It is probably best left to the Independent Adjudicative Office to judge these instances on a case-by-case basis."

The Serendipitous wrote:"As an entity without written law, perhaps we are not the aptest to answer this. However, we believe there to be many reasons to differentiate civil and criminal law."

"While, uh, I do not speak for my predecessor-ish, the issue is that the target's exemption specifically allows only 'criminal penalties', and civil penalties would colourably not be governments prohibiting citizens from 'associat[ing] with any organisation of their choosing', but rather citizens or other legal persons prohibiting as such. Enforcing criminal penalties for civil law is problematic; if a nation wants to enforce criminal penalties for 'mass defamation of opponents', it may make defamation a crime (as was in the previous regime in the Ice States), or only allow civil penalties for association with such a group."

"All in all, we find that the particular argument as to civil law ought to be removed. There is already a sufficient case with the national criminal law and security arguments, the issue with ambiguity on national security and hate, and the conflict of interest sections, to argue for a repeal of the target."

~Alexander Nicholas Saverchenko-Colleti,
The Communal Union of the Ice States.

"We have taken your feedback into account, and lightly changed the arguments. The argument regarding political conflicts of interest has switched placed with the argument regarding criminal and civil law, with the latter argument being changed to reflect a more genuine issue."

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly