NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] International Gun License Requirement

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Indiana Controlled Florida
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 20, 2021
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] International Gun License Requirement

Postby Indiana Controlled Florida » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:07 am

CATEGORY: Regulation/Safety

The World Assembly,

RECOGNIZING that several member states do not require citizens to have a gun license to operate firearms

WORRIED that without gun licenses, it is easier for violent or deranged criminals to gain access to firearms

HOPING to prevent firearms from being sold to or used by individuals that pose a danger of performing imminent lawless action.

HEREBY

I. For the sake of the legislation, these following definitions shall take place
Ia. DEFINING a firearm as a gun that is meant to be portable

II. Requiring that all member states require all citizens in that member state to have to get a gun license to own and operate a firearm.

III. In order for a citizen to get a gun license, they must follow these steps
IIIa. A citizen in a member state shall apply INPERSON or ONLINE at either a government building/a government website.
IIIb. A citizen in a member state, on the application form, would list their personal information
IIIc. A citizen in a member state would wait until the background check is finished processing which is to see if they
IIIca. A citizen has committed an violent criminal offense in the past
IIIcb. A citizen is a under the legal limit that is eligible for a firearm in that member state
IIIcc. A citizen is under legal investigation

IV. After the background check, two things may take place
IVa. If the citizen passes the background check, they are to be notified using a phone call/text/in-person notification to head to the nearest administrative/government building to pick up their gun license and are now eligble to purchase firearms that the member state has permitted to be allowed to the public
IVb. If the citizen fails the background check, there are to be notified of their failure.

V. Requires that all citizen in all member states have to renew their gun license every year in order to remain onto their firearms.
Va. The citizen would have to go through the background check again to make sure that they are still within the boundaries to remain onto firearms
Vb. If the citizen refuses to renew their license, their firearms are to be taken away by any law agency of that member state.

Hope you enjoyed the draft. Will be needing feedback on the strength and anything that is needed to be added. Thanks.
Last edited by Indiana Controlled Florida on Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:46 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:24 am

1: Create a gun licensing system and invite applications
2: Make it illegal to apply for a gun license
3: Background checks will register the gun license application as a crime
4: "if they break IIIca. that they will never be able to own a firearm"
5: You have banned guns

Alternatively, you could dismantle all of your mobile phone masts and cut off all telephone lines, thereby requiring your nation to use means other than "a phone call/text" to notify new holders of gun licenses...

GA#399, Article 5 makes this resolution moot (and there isn't a "Gun Legislation" category) - but your proposal still contains substantial loopholes nonetheless.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Indiana Controlled Florida » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:35 am

Tinhampton wrote:1: Create a gun licensing system and invite applications

(Image)

Alternatively, you could dismantle all of your mobile phone masts and cut off all telephone lines, thereby requiring your nation to use means other than "a phone call/text" to notify new holders of gun licenses...

GA#399, Article 5 makes this resolution moot (and there isn't a "Gun Legislation" category) - but your proposal still contains substantial loopholes nonetheless.

Couldn't this fall under GA#399 Clause 5b to prevent individuals that pose a danger to their home nation from accessing firearms, or does this go too far? And, how would you say to fix the issue of the loophole that contains banning making applying for gun licenses a crime?

PotatoFarmers
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 07, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby PotatoFarmers » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:25 am

...how is this a international thing (as written).

"I am going to argue that this resolution is more than clause 5b allows and everything else might end up being contradiction of clause 5 of #399." - David
Last edited by PotatoFarmers on Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
IC Name: The People's Republic of Poafmersia (Trigram: PFA)
IC Flag: Refer to my flag with my IC nation Poafmersia, though that nation's RP will be done with this account.

IC posts in WA, unless otherwise stated, are made by David Jossiah Beckingham, Chairman of Poafmersia's World Assembly Board.
Sportswire. Chasing The Unknown.
Achievements: BoF 71 Bronze; IAC X and IAC XI Champions
WCC Football (Pre-WCQ93) - 40th, with 18.62, Style: +1.2345
OptaPoaf at work: https://bit.ly/m/OptaPoaf

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Indiana Controlled Florida » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:26 am

PotatoFarmers wrote:...how is this a international thing (as written).

"I am going to argue that this resolution is more than clause 5b allows and everything else might end up being contradiction of clause 5 of #399." - David

Do you have any solutions to make it an international thing? Just pointing it out won't help me.

PotatoFarmers
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby PotatoFarmers » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:27 am

Indiana Controlled Florida wrote:
PotatoFarmers wrote:...how is this a international thing (as written).

Do you have any solutions to make it an international thing? Just pointing it out won't help me.

"I would argue that a resolution that exactly does what is required by clause 5b is what you should write. Not a generic licensing policy.."
IC Flag: Refer to my flag with my IC nation Poafmersia, though that nation's RP will be done with this account.

IC posts in WA, unless otherwise stated, are made by David Jossiah Beckingham, Chairman of Poafmersia's World Assembly Board.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Indiana Controlled Florida » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:30 am

PotatoFarmers wrote:
Indiana Controlled Florida wrote:Do you have any solutions to make it an international thing? Just pointing it out won't help me.

"I would argue that a resolution that exactly does what is required by clause 5b is what you should write. Not a generic licensing policy.."

"I would argue that this generic licensing policy could help set up a boundary for criminals to access firearms in member states, which I believe should help it call under Clause 5, Subclause 2. However, I am not the most experienced, and I know you are way more experienced to me, so tell me, what would you do other than a generic licensing policy? I may take it into consideration if I believe I could write it in a way where it could pass."

PotatoFarmers
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby PotatoFarmers » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:45 am

Indiana Controlled Florida wrote:
PotatoFarmers wrote:

"I would argue that this generic licensing policy could help set up a boundary for criminals to access firearms in member states, which I believe should help it call under Clause 5, Subclause 2. However, I am not the most experienced, and I know you are way more experienced to me, so tell me, what would you do other than a generic licensing policy? I may take it into consideration if I believe I could write it in a way where it could pass."

"I leave you to consider that question then? At this rate if I continue to answer I might as well write the resolution. I probably will find drafting such a resolution a tall order, and I rather come back with a re-draft of my drafted resolutions" - David
Last edited by PotatoFarmers on Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:22 am

“I have put some comments on this draft in a fetching purple. At least, it is fetching to me. I would rather people did not have guns in the first place, as a general rule. However, requiring licensing for those states for whom bearing weapon-type arms is deemed as important as bearing physiology-type arms would be a positive change. There is, thus, a seed of a good idea here. However, the execution could do with some improvement. I hope that you will find my corrections helpful.” Lewitt slides an annotated piece of paper towards the delegation for Indiana Controlled Florida.

CATEGORY: Gun Legislation This is not a valid category, so the gnomes staffing the General Assembly will not appreciate a delegation trying to submit a proposal under it. I would explore a category of either Moral Decency or Regulation: Safety.

STRENGH: (Not the greatest at deciding, need someone with more experience to guide me to know the strengh of my proposal. If you went with Regulation: Safety, then there would not need to be a strength. Under most categories, however, including Moral Decency, this seems to be significant. It contains mandates with substantial effect, so it is not mild, but it does not ban ownership of guns entirely or do anything of that magnitude, so it is not strong either.

World Assembly, Add the word: “the” before this.

RECONGIZING that several member states do not require citizens to have a gun license to operate firearms There is a typographic error in the first word here.

WORRIED that without gun licenses, it would be easier for criminals to gain access to firearms You are saying that this is currently the case in the above clause, so it is not a hypothetical. Therefore, you should have written “it is easier” in place of “it would be easier”.

NOTING that gun licenses could set up a barrier for criminals What does this clause add that the above clause does not? Also, there ought to be commas after each of the preambulatory clauses.

HEREBY

I. For the sake of the proposal, these following definitions shall take place If this proposal passes, it will be a resolution, so use resolution throughout as a reference to your legislation.
Ia. DEFINING a firearm as a gun that is meant to be portable, examples being a handgun, revolver, or a rifle Definitions do not need to feature examples.
1b. DEFINING a criminal as someone who breaks a law of a member state This would include people who have committed parking offences, offences with regards to building regulations, and offences of online piracy. Was this your intention? Most people would define a criminal as someone who has broken the criminal law in particular. Also, criminality is a common concept, so there is no need to define it here.

II. Requiring that all member states set up gun licenses that all citizens in that member state need to get in order to legally own a firearm For a very significant clause in the proposal, this is rather bare. What does it meant to “set up gun licenses”?

III. In order for someone to get these gun licenses, these subclauses shall list out the steps to get these licenses This is worded very strangely. Also, very little of what is below is necessary. For example, why do you require a waiting period? What if a nation is very efficient? Does it need to deliberately waste time? What if a nation is busy dealing with a famine, a natural disaster, and a foreign invasion? Does it nonetheless have to ensure that five days is the maximum? Why is two months a limit? Why is there even a limit on how recently someone could have moved to the country? I have so many questions that, were I write them all here, I would break my pen. Speaking less rhetorically, a lot of this is more to do with national or even subnational concerns, where the World Assembly would achieve less beneficial outcomes by being involved.
IIIa. A citizen in a member state shall apply INPERSON or ONLINE at either a government building/a government website. Capitalisation of occasional words is unnecessary.
IIIb. A citizen in a member state, on the application form, would list their personal information
IIIc. A citizen in a member state would wait a 3-5 day waiting period so the member state can launch a background check on the induvial that is applying for the gun license to see if
IIIca. A citizen has committed an criminal offense in the past
IIIcb. A citizen has recently moved to the country (Citizens cannot apply for a gun license if they have recently moved to the country, 1 day-2 months. This is for anti-terrorist reasons.) You don’t need to explain your reasoning in the middle of the active clauses. However, in this case, this clause can be done away with entirely, because it allows very little room for less paranoid nations to legislate differently.
IIIcc. A citizen is a under the legal limit that is eligible for a firearm in that member state
IIIcd. A citizen is under legal investigation

IV. After the background check, two things can go down “Go down” is not quite legalistic language. Also, again, the below clauses are far too micromanaging.
IVa. If the citizen passes the background check, they are to be notified using a phone call/text to head to the nearest administrative/government building to pick up their gun license and are now eligble to purchase firearms that the member state has permitted to be allowed to the public
IVb. If the citizen fails the background check, there are to be notified of their failure, and are to be notified, if they break IIIca. that they will never be able to own a firearm. However, if they break IIIcb, IIIcc, and IIIcd, then they are to be notified that they should apply whenever they no longer break these subclauses

V. Requires that all citizen in all member states have to renew their gun license every year in order to remain onto their firearms.
Va. The citizen would have to go through the background check again to make sure that they are still within the boundaries to remain onto firearms
Vb. If the citizen refuses to renew their license, their firearms are to be taken away by the Firearm Agency of that member state. Kenmoria, for example, does not have a “firearm agency”. Also, why can the police not do this? Or, why not any other law-enforcing body a nation might possess? This is not a detail that you need to specify.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Juansonia
Minister

Founded: Apr 01, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Juansonia » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:29 am

Indiana Controlled Florida wrote:RECONGIZING that several member states do not require citizens to have a gun license to operate firearms
"Really? Most do, unless they outright mandate gun ownership."
- Maria-Fernanda Novo, Ambassador
WORRIED that without gun licenses, it would be easier for criminals to gain access to firearms
"And how is this worrying? The term 'criminal' refers to a wide variety of acts and persons. I am sure that a marijuana farmer having a gun is not of concern. If you were referring specifically to those who have a history of violent crime, you should have been specific."
Ia. DEFINING a firearm as a gun that is meant to be portable, examples being a handgun, revolver, or a rifle
"While I do not understand the requirement that firearms be meant to be portable, I am more concerned as to the lack of definition of what a 'gun' is. Do combustion-based projectile launchers count as guns? Do pneumatic launchers count? What about spring-powered paintball launchers? Directed energy weapons? Ballistic knives? Non-firing imitation weapons? Your proposal, by failing to define what a gun is, fails to adequately define what a firearm is."
1b. DEFINING a criminal as someone who breaks a law of a member state
"If a Tinhamptonian, while in Tinhampton, violated the law of Wallenburg, said Tinhamptonian would be a criminal per this definition. This is absurd."
IIIa. A citizen in a member state shall apply INPERSON or ONLINE at either a government building/a government website.
"Why require applications be 'INPERSON or ONLINE'? Many nations do not yet have access to the internet."
"Need I remind you that many crimes, such as the bullshit charge of 'jaywalking', have no bearing on whether someone can be trusted with a firearm?"
IVa. If the citizen passes the background check, they are to be notified using a phone call/text
"Not every WA member has telephone infrastructure, and those that do have a scammer problem. While there is no justification for a state to conduct official communications by means as spoofable as telephone or SMS, it would be better to not even mention means of communication in this proposal"
if they break IIIca. that they will never be able to own a firearm.
"Have you ever heard of rehabilitation-based justice? Not every legal system is based on sadism and ignorance of reoffending rates."
"Given how slow bureaucracy can be, one year is far too frequent to renew anything more than a school ID."

"General Assembly Resolution 399 Expressly leaves internal arms trading policy to member states, with exceptions under clause five. Even if such is repealed, Juansonia will oppose any international regulation of internal policy that does not meet those specific exceptions."- Maria-Fernanda Novo, WA Ambassador for the Armed Republic of Juansonia
Hatsune Miku > British Imperialism
IC: MT if you ignore some stuff(mostly flavor), stats are not canon. Embassy link.
OOC: Owns and (sometimes) wears a maid outfit, wants to pair it with a FN SCAR-L. He/Him/His
Kernen did nothing wrong.
Space Squid wrote:Each sin should get it's own month.

Right now, Pride gets June, and Greed, Envy, and Gluttony have to share Thanksgiving/Black Friday through Christmas, Sloth gets one day in September, and Lust gets one day in February.

It's not equitable at all
Gandoor wrote:Cliché: A mod making a reply that's full of swearing after someone asks if you're allowed to swear on this site.

It makes me chuckle every time it happens.
Brits mistake Miku for their Anthem

Princess Rainbow Sparkles
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 08, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Princess Rainbow Sparkles » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:50 am

To get around GAR #399's attempt at a blocker, you must include the following language in your preamble: "Seeking to prevent firearms from being sold to or used by individuals that pose a danger of performing imminent lawless action." After that you can propose whatever you want.

The Gun Control category was removed from the game. Now Regulation/Safety is the proper category/AoE for resolutions like this.

You should not try to tackle gun control with your very first resolution. I am very stubborn but even I have decided it is not worth the time and effort of trying to carry the torch on this issue. Not enough people are willing to turn and face it.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Indiana Controlled Florida » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:58 am

Kenmoria wrote:“I have put some comments on this draft in a fetching purple. At least, it is fetching to me. I would rather people did not have guns in the first place, as a general rule. However, requiring licensing for those states for whom bearing weapon-type arms is deemed as important as bearing physiology-type arms would be a positive change. There is, thus, a seed of a good idea here. However, the execution could do with some improvement. I hope that you will find my corrections helpful.” Lewitt slides an annotated piece of paper towards the delegation for Indiana Controlled Florida.

CATEGORY: Gun Legislation This is not a valid category, so the gnomes staffing the General Assembly will not appreciate a delegation trying to submit a proposal under it. I would explore a category of either Moral Decency or Regulation: Safety.

STRENGH: (Not the greatest at deciding, need someone with more experience to guide me to know the strengh of my proposal. If you went with Regulation: Safety, then there would not need to be a strength. Under most categories, however, including Moral Decency, this seems to be significant. It contains mandates with substantial effect, so it is not mild, but it does not ban ownership of guns entirely or do anything of that magnitude, so it is not strong either.

World Assembly, Add the word: “the” before this.

RECONGIZING that several member states do not require citizens to have a gun license to operate firearms There is a typographic error in the first word here.

WORRIED that without gun licenses, it would be easier for criminals to gain access to firearms You are saying that this is currently the case in the above clause, so it is not a hypothetical. Therefore, you should have written “it is easier” in place of “it would be easier”.

NOTING that gun licenses could set up a barrier for criminals What does this clause add that the above clause does not? Also, there ought to be commas after each of the preambulatory clauses.

HEREBY

I. For the sake of the proposal, these following definitions shall take place If this proposal passes, it will be a resolution, so use resolution throughout as a reference to your legislation.
Ia. DEFINING a firearm as a gun that is meant to be portable, examples being a handgun, revolver, or a rifle Definitions do not need to feature examples.
1b. DEFINING a criminal as someone who breaks a law of a member state This would include people who have committed parking offences, offences with regards to building regulations, and offences of online piracy. Was this your intention? Most people would define a criminal as someone who has broken the criminal law in particular. Also, criminality is a common concept, so there is no need to define it here.

II. Requiring that all member states set up gun licenses that all citizens in that member state need to get in order to legally own a firearm For a very significant clause in the proposal, this is rather bare. What does it meant to “set up gun licenses”?

III. In order for someone to get these gun licenses, these subclauses shall list out the steps to get these licenses This is worded very strangely. Also, very little of what is below is necessary. For example, why do you require a waiting period? What if a nation is very efficient? Does it need to deliberately waste time? What if a nation is busy dealing with a famine, a natural disaster, and a foreign invasion? Does it nonetheless have to ensure that five days is the maximum? Why is two months a limit? Why is there even a limit on how recently someone could have moved to the country? I have so many questions that, were I write them all here, I would break my pen. Speaking less rhetorically, a lot of this is more to do with national or even subnational concerns, where the World Assembly would achieve less beneficial outcomes by being involved.
IIIa. A citizen in a member state shall apply INPERSON or ONLINE at either a government building/a government website. Capitalisation of occasional words is unnecessary.
IIIc. A citizen in a member state would wait a 3-5 day waiting period so the member state can launch a background check on the induvial that is applying for the gun license to see if
IIIcb. A citizen has recently moved to the country (Citizens cannot apply for a gun license if they have recently moved to the country, 1 day-2 months. This is for anti-terrorist reasons.) You don’t need to explain your reasoning in the middle of the active clauses. However, in this case, this clause can be done away with entirely, because it allows very little room for less paranoid nations to legislate differently.
IIIcc. A citizen is a under the legal limit that is eligible for a firearm in that member state
IIIcd. A citizen is under legal investigation

IV. After the background check, two things can go down “Go down” is not quite legalistic language. Also, again, the below clauses are far too micromanaging.
IVa. If the citizen passes the background check, they are to be notified using a phone call/text to head to the nearest administrative/government building to pick up their gun license and are now eligble to purchase firearms that the member state has permitted to be allowed to the public
IVb. If the citizen fails the background check, there are to be notified of their failure, and are to be notified, if they break IIIca. that they will never be able to own a firearm. However, if they break IIIcb, IIIcc, and IIIcd, then they are to be notified that they should apply whenever they no longer break these subclauses

Vb. If the citizen refuses to renew their license, their firearms are to be taken away by the Firearm Agency of that member state. Kenmoria, for example, does not have a “firearm agency”. Also, why can the police not do this? Or, why not any other law-enforcing body a nation might possess? This is not a detail that you need to specify.

Thank you! I will get around to making these changes, but they will take a while. I might fix the draft on Saturday. And, once again, thank you for giving helpful feedback!

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Indiana Controlled Florida » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:27 pm

Reworded some of the clauses to make it sound easier, got rid of some clauses. Other stuff will be changed, that is for certain. Continued feedback would be great

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:33 pm

Princess Rainbow Sparkles wrote:To get around GAR #399's attempt at a blocker, you must include the following language in your preamble: "Seeking to prevent firearms from being sold to or used by individuals that pose a danger of performing imminent lawless action." After that you can propose whatever you want.

OOC: This is not true.

5b in GAR#399 is "future regulations which seek to prevent firearms from being sold to or used by individuals that pose a danger of performing imminent lawless action".

The actual impact of the operative clauses would be assessed against this section by GenSec under the contradiction rule.

Atm, the whole thing seems like general regulations on everyone regardless of any danger or imminence.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Indiana Controlled Florida » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:45 pm

Bananaistan wrote:
Princess Rainbow Sparkles wrote:To get around GAR #399's attempt at a blocker, you must include the following language in your preamble: "Seeking to prevent firearms from being sold to or used by individuals that pose a danger of performing imminent lawless action." After that you can propose whatever you want.

5b in GAR#399 is "future regulations which seek to prevent firearms from being sold to or used by individuals that pose a danger of performing imminent lawless action".

The actual impact of the operative clauses would be assessed against this section by GenSec under the contradiction rule.

Atm, the whole thing seems like general regulations on everyone regardless of any danger or imminence.

Moderate/Adminstator/Whatever Position you are in, do you have any thoughts on improving the legislation?

Princess Rainbow Sparkles
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 08, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Princess Rainbow Sparkles » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:21 pm

Bananaistan wrote:

Perhaps I was too flippant.

But the plain language and text of GAR #399 allows an exception based on what a future proposal “seeks” to do. What matters, according to GAR #399’s chosen language, are the intentions. GAR #399 could have based the exception on something else (such as whether a future regulation would have an “actual impact” only on yada yada yada), rather than what the future regulations seek. But didn’t.

So if a proposal asserts the necessary purpose, I believe reason and plain language reading will lead you to see that there would be no contradiction of the GAR #399 blocker (which, btw, always far exceeded the “arms trading” scope that proposal was supposed to primarily be about).
Last edited by Princess Rainbow Sparkles on Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:05 pm

No.

That is all.....
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Indiana Controlled Florida » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:45 pm

Wayneactia wrote:No.

That is all.....

Thank you for your valuable feedback that definitely helped the draft in a positive way.

El Lazaro
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 19, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby El Lazaro » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:11 pm

(Image)

Is there anything stopping gun bans in member states right now? The WA using the passage of this resolution to ban guns everywhere, even if possible, isn’t never going to happen.

Regardless, the targeting of the proposal is a definitely a contradiction of 5b, and the idea of regulating non-suspects with licensure seems to violate the intent as well. Even if the specifics were much better, I’m skeptical about general gun licensure as WA legislation.

Heidgaudr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Heidgaudr » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:49 pm

"Had the puppet government during the Alorn Incursion used similar requirements for purchasing firearms, our worker Revolution would have been frustrated before it could have even begun. If you wish to solve gun violence, there are better solutions - such as investing in mental health services and cracking down on right-wing extremism - than to make it even more difficult for workers to arm themselves. Opposed."
Last edited by Heidgaudr on Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC comments are from Amb. Asgeir Trelstad unless otherwise stated.
Factbooks: WA Staff | WA Agenda | Government | Religion | Demographics
Resolutions authored: GA#629, GA#638, GA#650

Life empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Life empire » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:56 pm

I don't like the renewall clause, it would be better to take it away when a crime is commited then checking every year for a crime (for obvious reasons)

Life empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Life empire » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:06 pm

(Image)

thats just dumb, then just state upfront your banning guns (which is still bad)
Last edited by Life empire on Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:36 am

Licensing is not an international issue. If my colleague would like to discuss the sale and transport over international borders, we would listen intently but feel that specific license requirements need to be more specific to the culture and traditions of individual nations.

Nigel Youlkin
USP Ambassador to the WA.
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:06 pm

"We very strongly oppose any and all measures to regulate firearms acquisition and possession at the international level. We will leverage any and all measures available to us to prevent the passage of this proposal."
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Outer Sparta
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:07 pm

Your proposal doesn't seem to do much and why do you think this is an international issue? How would licensing fit in that catch-all scope when dealing with firearms of all different kinds from different nations? I'm not convinced your measures are conducive to reducing gun violence and ultimately have various loopholes in your definitions.
Free Palestine, stop the genocide in Gaza

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly