NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Regulating Medical Genetic Modification

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Berenice Soviet
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 22, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Berenice Soviet » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:51 pm

OOC: Simply on the basis that messing with genetics is a direct violation of my beliefs, I will be voting against this. Is the possibility of removing certain predisposed ailments from my genes intriguing? Yes, I'd say most people would think it'd be great to. However, you have to look at the long term effects of this. If you remove the bad genes from all people (hypothetically), the population of the world will only continue to swell. Natural selection cannot take place if you remove the natural parts of it.

TLDR; fixing 'broken' genes is immoral, against
Nobilissimus
Imperator Caesar Publius Ovidius Cato Sapiens Solitarius Augustus
Emperor of the Berenice Soviet

A Theocratic Absolute Monarchy based in the ancient region of Arabia Petraea

White American Muslim.
العزة لله, Glory to Allah
وَمَن يَعۡمَلۡ مِنَ ٱلصَّـٰلِحَٰتِ مِن ذَكَرٍ أَوۡ أُنثَىٰ وَهُوَ مُؤۡمِنٞ فَأُوْلَـٰٓئِكَ يَدۡخُلُونَ ٱلۡجَنَّةَ وَلَا يُظۡلَمُونَ نَقِيرٗا,
(4:124) Whoever does good and believes -whether he is male or female - such shall enter the Garden, and they shall not be wronged in the slightest

New Bolva
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 17, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bolva » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:26 pm

Berenice Soviet wrote:OOC: Simply on the basis that messing with genetics is a direct violation of my beliefs, I will be voting against this. Is the possibility of removing certain predisposed ailments from my genes intriguing? Yes, I'd say most people would think it'd be great to. However, you have to look at the long term effects of this. If you remove the bad genes from all people (hypothetically), the population of the world will only continue to swell. Natural selection cannot take place if you remove the natural parts of it.

TLDR; fixing 'broken' genes is immoral, against

OOC: Would you advocate that people with genetic ailments that cause cancer not be given chemotherapy or radiation? Should people with weak immune systems not be given antivirals?
I don't see how treating an ailment at the genetic source is fundamentally different than providing care to negate the effects of genetic disease.
And population growth is steadily declining despite advances in modern medicine eradicating or negating diseases, as population growth slows due to social factors with increasing levels societal development and modernization.

IC:
"Honored representatives of the World Assembly, The People's Republic of New Bolva strongly supports the proposed resolution. Advances in gene editing technology will allow for substantial advances in molecular medicine, raising the possibility of substantial improvements to the health and quality of life of all World Assembly member states. However, these technologies when used without due consideration of side effects or by improperly trained clinical providers could also lead to significant risks for individuals who undergo genetic therapies. The World Assembly must establish basic criteria for the safe use of gene editing and other genetic therapies before their widespread introduction, thus, I will be voting in favor of the resolution."
- Chairman Meow, General Secretary, People's Republic of New Bolva
Last edited by New Bolva on Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paradiito
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 18, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Paradiito » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:43 am

The bill contains no provision for an international genetic treatment advisory and inspection body, that would require samples of the mutagens, retroviruses or crispr used in genetic engineering, to test for themselves.

Imperial Cleves
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Cleves » Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:04 am

“On second thought, since I believe that God made our bodies under his image and wants us to respect our bodies, I will not support any form of genetic modification. I hereby vote against this proposal.”

Lady Charlotte Schafer, Minister of Clevesian WA Affairs

Adastra
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 24, 2022
Father Knows Best State

Postby Adastra » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:09 pm

This post is semi-canon to Adastran lore
A mysterious man in an astronaut suit babbles idly in an unused corner of the World Assembly conference room.
He wears a bulky, oversized T-shirt over his suit that says "Definitely Not A Time-Traveler"

Walfo wrote: 2. [...] a. Are as specific for their intended purpose of treatment as possible given the treating nation's level of medical science,

"What if the intended purpose is to purge a demographic from a nation's gene pool? A demographic unjustly perceived as sick?"
Walfo wrote: 2. [...] c. Cause as few genetic editing errors as possible

"Our 21st century—oops uh... present... understanding of the human genome makes the distinction between error and non-error unclear.
The editing of a genome, under certain perspectives, is the deliberate introduction of genetic errors in order to alter phenotypic—i.e. organism-level—traits.
What exactly is a genetic error? The genes that makes us stronger or weaker? The genes that causes us to have fairer or darker skin? What vision of the human genome is more correct?
The vagueness of this resolution's provisions (and its lack of any formation or revision of a regulatory board to provide oversight) makes it easy for the dangers of eugenics to come to fruition."
Walfo wrote:Worried that such relatively new technology might be adopted prematurely by medical professionals, for such reasons as greed or personal gain, or pressure on the scientific community by the uninformed authorities, which could lead to unwise or unsafe applications of genetic modification.

"While we... uh... I... applaud the desire for a minimum level of decency when tampering with something dangerous, we... shit... I share the opinions expressed by many others; seeing this resolution as reckless and a platform to justify future abuses."

The astronaut flees the chamber before security could arrive.
Last edited by Adastra on Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Founder of Distant Worlds | My telegrams are always open.
A sci-fi, retrofuturist, roleplay and worldbuilding region.
Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

La Chonita
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 11, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby La Chonita » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:26 pm

The delegation of the Confederacy of La Chonita hereby announce our opposition to this resolution. Though we believe in the science behind genetic modification for the purpose saving lives, we cannot accept any resolution that is anything short of monitoring its use for specifically that purpose.

Embaixada de Cristo
Civilian

Founded: Feb 13, 2023
Ex-Nation

REGULAMENTAÇÃO DA MODIFICAÇÃO GENÉTICA MÉDICA

Postby Embaixada de Cristo » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:45 am

A delegação da Confederação da Embaixada de Cristo comunica nossa oposição a esta resolução. Embora acreditemos na ciência por trás da modificação genética com o propósito de salvar vidas, não podemos aceitar nenhuma resolução que seja nada menos que monitorar seu uso especificamente para esse propósito

Militarized Administration Zone
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 23, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Militarized Administration Zone » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:58 am

"This has pushed humanity too far!"

The representative only known as "Jewel" would start to flip through a folder of files...

"Over billions and billions of years humanity has reached its current state and has fully stop evolution and is now perfect. There are also many situations to consider if genetic modification happens, such as how will we predict the genetic modified 'humans' goals and objectives in their 'life'?"

- ████ "Jewel" █████, Head of research, mining and resource gathering.

TL;DR: Humanity is at its peak, after billions of years of evolution, and modifying it will cause problems.
Welcome "UNKNOWN" to the Militarized Administration Zone!
"United Under War!"
Remember to be on your BEST behavior!
We are still watching you ever since 1990!

top seecreet info!!:
sike, bozo.

Nova Universo
Envoy

Founded: Mar 01, 2022
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Nova Universo » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:11 am

Kahina Azayi, Representative of the Free City of Nova Universo to the WA General Assembly: The Free City of Nova Universo,in behalf of the Union and its member states, votes FOR the proposition 'Regulating Medical Genetic Modification'. Despite its terse wording, vague provisions and resulting misapprehensions, this proposition can be a keystone for the development of genetic therapy. The rapidly-developing field of genetic therapy is in serious need of regulation, if only to define what it is and what it is not. I urge my fellow representatives to stop fearmongering and start reading proper references on the matter.

The Union is of the opinion that genetic treatment must be monitored. Conventional, alternative and other forms of medical treatment are already monitored by the World Assembly. We therefore ask why gene-based therapies should be not be monitored nor regulated. Remember that medical regulation and its resulting standards of care brings better health outcomes to populations and the individuals thereof. If it were not for the adoption of cleanliness in medical facilities nor testing for safety of therapies, I can assure you that most of us would not be alive.

The Union also acknowledges the qualms of this chamber's sceptical representatives. As treatments are, genetic therapy at present is experimental and risky; its results are also unpredictable and hazardous. However, this can be said of other treatments which some our member nations support, such as bloodletting, naturopathy or conversion therapy. If even these procedures which bring indescribable sufferings to its patients are monitored by the World Assembly, we do not see a reason why relatively well-researched and harmless gene therapy should not be.

The Union also acknowledges that gene therapy can give rise to the X-Men, the "Master Race", slugs that are made of banana or whatever else you may think of. However, we must note that this proposition restricts us to doing genetic modification for treatment of genetic diseases such as haemophilia, fatal familial insomnia or NekoCats syndrome. It does not support genetic scientists transubstantiating organisms into sentient plasma, attaching an extra eye to someone with a functioning set of these, nor making stomachs with the power of speech.

I could go on talking about each and every point which the other representatives raised, but we simply do not have the time, space, energy nor resources to do such. Also, we are not dignifying some nations' musings which border on the metaphysical and absurd, as we are dealing with reality here. In summation, despite the evident deficiencies of the proposition on the table, the Union believes that this must be APPROVED, as its benefits outweigh its burdens, and that its associated and resulting problems can be solved by extant legislation.
Free City of Nova Universo: an international city in Otter Island on the southern Atlantic Ocean.
Union of Nova Universo: a supranational union of ten polities in Earth, Heimat and the Universe.
Avisa: Tunisia lawyers striking over crackdown on dissent. Haiti demands police chief's resignation, arrest. US university graduations marked by peace protests. Romania bars influencer from leaving as trial looms. Israel invasion draws criticism, embargo from ally. Indonesia landslide, mudflow kills 37, loses 13. Australia extends video-sharing ban of terror attack.
Courier: City prepares for strong monsoon season. Police on alert as terror threat rises. Foreign workers denounce labour abuses. Via Lactea wins City Football League Cup.

Mayland
Civilian

Founded: Aug 15, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Mayland » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:33 am

For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home.

The WA Delegation from Mayland is AGAINST this proposal, We believe everyone is valuable, and We hold diversity as one of our core values.
We believe the passing of this proposal will generate an elitist society where those less fortunate, poor and different will suffer. We don't want that. Ours is a free country where everyone is welcomed and accepted as they are.

Walfo
Envoy

Founded: Dec 11, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Walfo » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:15 am

As the odds are slim, but the idea is sound, this proposal has been moved to another forum for redrafting. If anyone had feedback, let's work to make sure it's addressed. I have already addressed some concerns.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=531145&p=40373449#p40373449
Nickname: Waffles
1-delegate of Europe twice! 4/7/22 and 1/6/24. I'll certainly never forget that unthinkable day!
Just celebrated 5 years in NS!

Author of GA #721

Contact me on Discord @walfodiscorcommunications2958

Current Representative to the WA: Barthélémy Timéo

I post in OOC unless denoted otherwise.

"Never quit or hide from what you believe is right."-Neil I

Walfo
Envoy

Founded: Dec 11, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Walfo » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:02 pm

Please continue the conversation so that this can be passed one way or another, after some edits. The idea is solid, but the wording it seems was not that good. Let's work on that:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=531145&p=40373449#p40373449
Nickname: Waffles
1-delegate of Europe twice! 4/7/22 and 1/6/24. I'll certainly never forget that unthinkable day!
Just celebrated 5 years in NS!

Author of GA #721

Contact me on Discord @walfodiscorcommunications2958

Current Representative to the WA: Barthélémy Timéo

I post in OOC unless denoted otherwise.

"Never quit or hide from what you believe is right."-Neil I

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:38 pm

"Regulating Medical Genetic Modification" was defeated 10,171 votes to 4,733. (31.76% support)
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading Possession by A.S. Byatt

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives