NATION

PASSWORD

Proposal: Gun Sale

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: Proposal: Gun Sale

Postby Philimbesi » Wed May 13, 2009 12:39 pm

Absolvability wrote:
Philimbesi wrote:Your prisons are empty then? One would assume that considering that all of your citizens are ex military and all have been taught those principals?

Crime is no problem in my nation. I wish I could say it did not exist, but that is a ridiculous thought regardless of measures taken. I just don't think guns have a lot to do with it.

However, you may recall me saying that private businesses should not be selling them. I do not pretend to have some higher, totally black and white, understanding of life. One gains much wisdom when they, in fact, realize that EVERYTHING is a shade of gray. And that, again, one must look for the problem that created the problem. Otherwise we begin devolving our technologies and wondering why people aren't becoming any less violent.

Do you mean the only guns in Absolvabilty are the side arms of ex-mililtary? Or does the government control the gun distribution to non soldiers?
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Silista
Secretary

Founded: Apr 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Silista » Wed May 13, 2009 1:09 pm

In the Incorporated States of Silista, we have a slightly different take on gun control/sale/ownership. It's similar to compulsory military service, just without the compulsion and without the service. Our minute, nearly nonexistent government supports itself through the manufacture and sale of 'milware' (military hardware), which is bought by private citizens for their own use. Not just guns, but tanks, planes, battleships, MLRS's, submarines, etc. Citizens buy them, outsource the maintenance to specialized corporations, and practice their usage in Live-Fire Arenas. (Waivers must be signed, of course, in order to participate) This provides for the ultimate in well-regulated militias, as military training takes care of itself, in the crucible of war. But war not against property, populations, or other nations, but as yet another form of competition among consenting adults. If children can afford the milware, and are tall enough to see out the steering prisms, then they are allowed to buy and operate it. By this means, all our citizens are either trained in the art of hitting their target while taking no mortal wounds, or else are dead and unable to pass on their defective genes. Or else are voluntarily non-participating. Because of this policy, our real birthrate (birthrate minus mortality rate) is rather low, but our protection is assured--no one will want to attack us. Were Al Qaeda foolish enough to attack one of our skyscrapers, we would simply post the GPS locations of every known A.Q. training camp and safe haven on the Live Fire Arenas Target List, offer competitive Living Will rates to the survivors of the attacks and their families, and let nature take its course. Any resultant war on terror would be, by its very nature, nasty, brutish, and short.

Omicron, CEO of the Chinese Federal Empire, Inc., on behalf of the stockholders of the Incorporated States of Silista

Absolvability
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Wed May 13, 2009 3:05 pm

Philimbesi wrote:Do you mean the only guns in Absolvabilty are the side arms of ex-mililtary? Or does the government control the gun distribution to non soldiers?

The only guns that your average citizen has are side arms of ex-military issue, yes. This is the way in which our government controls gun distribution. This is also how we make sure they are all registered. Our police force has access to automatic weapons, as well as other such variations, since we believe the Police should be better armed than the criminals.

Silista wrote:In the Incorporated States of Silista, we have a slightly different take on gun control/sale/ownership.

Slightly?

I'm not sure who this "Al Qaeda" is. Some rebel group you've been having problems with? You should be careful... giving all your citizens military grade equipment. Before long enough of them are going to share a similar opinion and decide to over-throw you. Which they might not be able to accomplish... but, apparently, it won't be for lack of equipment. I'd say you're about 5 years away from BEING this "Al Qaeda."
Antonius Veloci
Ambassador of The Event Horizon of Absolvability

Philimbesi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Thu May 14, 2009 4:02 am

Absolvability wrote:
Philimbesi wrote:Do you mean the only guns in Absolvabilty are the side arms of ex-mililtary? Or does the government control the gun distribution to non soldiers?

The only guns that your average citizen has are side arms of ex-military issue, yes. This is the way in which our government controls gun distribution. This is also how we make sure they are all registered. Our police force has access to automatic weapons, as well as other such variations, since we believe the Police should be better armed than the criminals.

So there are no gun stores or guns sold to the public in your nation?

Ideological Bulwark #235

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Thu May 14, 2009 7:18 am

Philimbesi wrote:So there are no gun stores or guns sold to the public in your nation?

Precisely! Though the government does repair/replace disfunctional firearms for its citizens. Of course, we have compulsory military service, so we're not excluding anyone by not allowing gun stores. While I think this is the best way to do things, I don't plan to impose upon anyone else my way of doing things. Likewise, I don't think this proposal should mandate private distribution of firearms. A proposal should explain the need for an eventual end and take measures to ensure its completion. It should not dictate the manner in which individual nations reach that end.

Though we're extremely off topic now my curiosity has gotten the better of me; how does Philimbesi handle these matters?
Last edited by Absolvability on Thu May 14, 2009 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Antonius Veloci

Philimbesi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Thu May 14, 2009 7:32 am

Absolvability wrote:
Philimbesi wrote:So there are no gun stores or guns sold to the public in your nation?

Precisely! Though the government does repair/replace disfunctional firearms for its citizens. Of course, we have compulsory military service, so we're not excluding anyone by not allowing gun stores. While I think this is the best way to do things, I don't plan to impose upon anyone else my way of doing things. Likewise, I don't think this proposal should mandate private distribution of firearms. A proposal should explain the need for an eventual end and take measures to ensure its completion. It should not dictate the manner in which individual nations reach that end.

Though we're extremely off topic now my curiosity has gotten the better of me; how does Philimbesi handle these matters?

Guns are legal but highly regulated. I will go into more detail in a TG, as you are right, we're way off topic.

Ideological Bulwark #235

Vaulkhar
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaulkhar » Thu May 14, 2009 7:51 am

Vaulkhar left the WA Precisely for attempts to pass such a law. Guns in Vaulkhar are necessary and in our Constitution it states that all citizen may own a gun for any reason. Vaulkhar see no reason to attempt to control guns, if place constrictions on guns only the criminals and police will have them, and if the police are not every where and cannot be. Every Vaulkharian needs to be able to protect him or herself against lethal attempts or attacks.

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Thu May 14, 2009 7:58 am

Vaulkhar wrote:Guns in Vaulkhar are necessary and in our Constitution it states that all citizen may own a gun for any reason.

If one were to follow the natural precipitation of things... your sentence might go like this: "In our Constitution it states that all citizens may own a gun for any reason, therefore guns in Vaulkhar are necessary."

So, in your nation, I could walk into a gunstore and say, "Hey, I need to kill somebody, give me a gun," and this would be a perfectly legal reason to do so.

Vaulkhar wrote:the police are not every where and cannot be.

Police!? What do you need police for? You've got vigilantes!
Antonius Veloci

The Altan Steppes
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Altan Steppes » Thu May 14, 2009 9:59 am

Esternial wrote:Description:
REALIZING that citizens need personal safety
SEEKING to provide personal safety to citizens

The WA herby:
1) DECLARES that any adult citizen, with normal mental status, is allowed to own non lethal guns.
2) AUTORHIZES the legal sale of non-lethal guns.
3) DECLARES that an adult, with the necessary papers, is allowed to own lethal guns
4) AUTHORIZES the legal (restricted) sale of lethal guns by government officials.
5) NOTES that any gun (lethal or not) should be kept in a safe (hidden) location, away from
children.
6) NOTES that if a crime has been commited by a legalized (lethal) gun, the owner will be trailed in court.
5) ENCOURAGES WA nations the abide this law as strictly as possible.
7) FOUNDS the World Assembly Gun Committee, which shall monitor ALL gun laws

If any Delegates are reading this post, and agree. I urge you to approve of this proposal, we need gun laws, and this is a good start!
No kids with guns! No murder-a-day! Give the Law a thing less to worr about: Gun Sale, and gun ownership included

I'm a Delegate reading this post, and I do not agree. I do agree with the criticisms many of my colleagues have already expressed: you don't sufficiently define lethal and non-lethal firearms. You don't sufficiently define "normal mental status" or provide provisions to assess that status. You do not define "necessary papers". You seem to expect our government officials to go into the gun-selling business, when frankly they already have enough to do. I have no idea what you mean by saying that someone will be "trailed in court" - are we going to have trackers following them to court? And you're giving the WA the right to monitor any gun related law we have.

In conclusion this proposal is full of more holes than a paper target after a good day at the range. Opposed.

-Jaris Krytellin, Ambassador
Last edited by The Altan Steppes on Thu May 14, 2009 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Altani Federation
Honor above all else!

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly